As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Do characters react to the fact that you're dead when hitting on people as a skeleton?

If not, thats a pretty big oversight and missing out on potential comedy gold.

One of the first companions I asked if they were cool with hanging out with someone 'life-challenged' They know.

Oh and an elf licked my bone

They seem cool with it

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Hours into the game, level 3 reached, can escape the fort anytime i want to (taking a break to do other stuff while deciding my next move), and there are plenty of options for me to do.
    I could just walk out.
    I could save the elf in the cage (not sure i am strong enough to kill griff though, so would have to give up the name (not important, will end up dead anyway, but it's the principle))
    I could try to take out the flenser (though worried if it would balloon into a huge fight)
    I could try to do the arena (tried couple times and got my ass handed back to me)
    I could attack the slugs (who have been nothing but polite to me, so that seems somewhat unreasonable)

Writing is decent, characters are interesting, and graphics are gorgeous.
    I would complain about loot (very little, most of it worthless), and difficulty (bit too high for classic).
    At this juncture i am grabbing everything not nailed down to earn some coin to buy skills/gear. And i don't think i should see it as worth my time to pick up halfburned candles and empty barrels to sell.
    I mean, i could see the idea of utterly depriving you of resources while you do your prison escape, but considering the level of combat i keep bumping into, and limited ways to avoid it, i don't think the game is balanced for that, but that's an early impression, maybe once i finally make my escape (and buy those spells), it will get better.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I kind of like the feeling of slowly getting stronger at the beginning of games though, so I don't mind it.

What I DO mind is the strange habit the quest journal has of saying "Talk to this person!", putting a big flag on my minimap to talk to them, then it turns out I can't progress the quest for some reason. This was a problem with the first game too, if I'm remembering correctly.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    I don't mind being weak, or growing stronger slowly.
    I just feel that the game starts of with unnecessarily high difficulty curve due to lack of resources at the beginning.
    It encourages min maxing, picking up every half burned candle on the ground and stealing from npc's (seriously, i just started pickpocketing skill books from npc's, and i'm feeling very conflicted about this).
    I might, if this keeps up, try story difficulty, though i'd hate to do so, as i don't consider myself complete crap at these types of games.

Also, gameplaywise, i think the lack of option to pause, give commands, and then move on is a very bad decision.
    because targetting moving targets is such a pain, npc's can just run of past your characters without you being able to do anything to stop them even when realisticly, you should have no trouble doing so.

• emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    100% agree about the high level of difficulty. In the first game, the difficulty seemed reasonable at the beginning. I had trouble with a few fights and had to rethink my strategy but I was okay with that because it still felt fair. In this game, I just feel like the deck is unfairly stacked against me. Every opponent has 4 or 5 times the physical and magical armor I do so while they are mowing down my HP from the get-go I'm relegated to chipping away at their armor pools. Also, every opponent seems to have elemental attacks whereas in the first game those abilities seemed more spread out. I'm constantly shocked/stunned, poisoned and/or burning. My elemental attacks are essentially useless because of the high armor levels.

Having said that, the game is still great. The sound, voice acting, scenery, characters, lore are all fantastic IMO. I wonder if I'm using builds that are too jack-of-all-trades instead of going with more single-minded builds that work well together. I've already played through the introduction and a chunk of Fort Joy with two separate parties trying to find a good mix of classes. I may have to try a third grouping because the second one isn't faring much better than the first. I'm about to abandon using melee because those classes don't seem to be working well for me (I had one in each party). Despite some frustrations I'm still enjoying the game and look forward to actually progressing further.

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm probably a bit more into it than you guys since I have to leave the country in a few days so I'm trying to squeeze in all the play of this I can, and I'll say that the on the "Normal" difficulty it definitely levels out more after you get over the initial hump. That may vary slightly depending on your class but it doesn't take too long.

My main character is melee and it works very well, but going in full-tilt melee with no supplemental survivability skills doesn't work.

Are you the magic man?
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, I'm trying to play through the first one before I get DOS2, and this probably isn't a spoiler for anyone here, but I just tried to fight (big boss guy near Cyseal)
    Braccus Rex. And my party just got obliterated. I'm level 9 (which I think Rex is too), but his opening meteor-esque spell has either killed my party outright, or left 2 people barely alive, in the 4 times I tried (I thought once might be a fluke, but sadly no). Do I need to go around scrounging fire resist gear? level more? Several NPCs have mentioned a town up north (Silverglen?), should I go there first? Is there some trick I need figure out (like Arhu's remote for the sparkmaster)?

Help!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    So, anyone not murder Kniles the Flenser on their way out?
    So, I'm trying to play through the first one before I get DOS2, and this probably isn't a spoiler for anyone here, but I just tried to fight (big boss guy near Cyseal)
    Braccus Rex. And my party just got obliterated. I'm level 9 (which I think Rex is too), but his opening meteor-esque spell has either killed my party outright, or left 2 people barely alive, in the 4 times I tried (I thought once might be a fluke, but sadly no). Do I need to go around scrounging fire resist gear? level more? Several NPCs have mentioned a town up north (Silverglen?), should I go there first? Is there some trick I need figure out (like Arhu's remote for the sparkmaster)?

Help!
    Sneak in and blockade the poison dude on lower part of the room with vases, then send in only one person swimming in fire resistance potions, the second Braccus attacks, run out of the room to pull him out.
    With luck, you can deal with him and his minions one at a time.
    Utterly cheesy meta gamey way to do it, but that's fine, the fight is rather silly anyway.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Playing Tactician mode with 2 friends using a 3 character party. We played a ton of the first original sin and did the alpha twice. Really loving the final product so far.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    That's definitely one of the harder fights. Unfortunately I can't remember my play through well enough to give you any advice.

I feel like I definitely had something to soften the blow of the opening meteor, or managed to arrange things so that it only hit my tank. I always made heavy use of the rain spell, and the zombie summon guy you get from a sidequest is a good tank for a few turns.

Probably want at least 2 mages as well, melee is going to have a rough time. With some trial and error you can probably managed to fight them one at a time as well.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

Help!
    Posted this for Spoit in the Steam thread but applies here aswell:

They're all vulnerable to various status effects as are many bosses in OS.
    Spread your party out before combat so he can't oneshot them in a cluster with meteor. Try to keep Barracus out of action for as long as you can. Knock him down, freeze him, cast rain to weaken his and the twins' attacks. This will make it easier to pick off the others who you can also try to paralyze as much as possible. Try to kill the twins or ghoul first. The former is the most annoying, the latter the easiest to take down.

Special arrows and grenades are a godsend in this game. Stock them on your characters that don't have magic or access to the elements. Charm in particular is incredible against large groups of enemies. Don't bother buying armor and weapons, in my experience, theres enough loot drops for you to not need to purchase it.

One strategy is to essentially block his allies by summoning minions/pets/elementals (you can get an infinite use one if you finish a certain sidequest in Black Cove related to the talking head from Cyseal) through scrolls or spells. They'll become preoccupied with them and be harder for them to close in and overwhelm your party.

Crowd control is king in this game. Get a handle on it and always keep tools mentioned above handy to utilize it and it gets significantly easier.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    I always focused the poison guy first. Once you kill the lava guy, you can start moving others into his lava. If enemies touch lava, they instantly die. The Bracchus fight on tactician with the skeletons and the barrier is really annoying.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I have one question and only one question about this game. Is the story good, cause I really hated the story in the first one.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    It's real dark. But more fully realized. If that makes sense.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    So far DOS2 is moving faster than the first. I just hit level 4 fighting the first major battle. It actually seemed pretty reasonable. I like the new armor/status effect system. It makes using status effects predictable. I'm finding the difficulty easy. However, I also played the first one just a few months ago so I have a pretty good idea of what skills I want.

The environmental effects are still a noob trap though. Poison and fire are so common in this game you really don't want commit to either. If those are your only options, life is going to be hard for you because you are constantly going to either not be able to use your skills or wipe your own guys.

So far, the summon school seems really good. Summons are fantastic in the early game. The incarnate gets an ability based on what surface you cast him on. If you cast him on water (not hard to do) he gets restoration. Casting the totems on ground or blood creates totems that deal physicaly damage which is useful for mages. Plus Dominate Mind ( Charm was one of the best spells from DOS1) is in the school. It's at least worth a 2 point dip for the early game and Dominate Mind will probably stay good late game.

edited September 2017
    The story is pretty good so far too...

I'm not that far in, but I'm pretty interested in what's going on. The first major boss was creepy as hell. The story in the first game was not interesting at all.

furbat on
    edited September 2017
    Oh god, I died and now have to complete the entire event over again because the auto save doesn't save the game after major events.

Just lost 1-2 hours of game play. I'm out. I'll revisit this game when I have 40-60 hours to kill and can lose hours of my life to inventory management and replaying hours of content because I forgot to save. This isn't even the first time this has happened this play through.

furbat on
    Yeah, this game feels very much like the original Baldur's Gate games. Ball-bustingly hard for no reason, full of weird stuff specific to the genre that you just need to know to succeed. Like...carry around a shovel in case you need to dig something up! Or have a lizard in your party, because apparently lizards can dig or something! And knowing that almost every single NPC sells important stuff that you will probably need at some point.

My first party failed miserably right around the time I had to start fighting magisters in Fort Joy. I restarted and focused a lot more on crowd control with my party setup and I'm having a much easier time on Classic difficulty. Making sure every party member has a crowd control ability and some form of healing seems to be the way to go for now. I stopped trying to make my Summoner character a spellcaster and instead am focusing on bow attacks and finesse while pumping the summoning skill up to 10.

My new party setup:
    • Ifan: Summoner/Huntsman
    • Beast: Warfare/Polymorph
    • Sebille: Scoundrel
    • Lohse: Hydro/Aethero

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Thought I was about to buy this tonight, I was hanging by a single toe on the fence between buying it and not buying it... But between my discord chats and steam chat, I can't find a single person interested, who has a similar schedule to mine, and isn't already invested in a campaign... so I'd have to play it solo. On the "Eventually, maybe" shelf it goes! If anyone is looking for a co-op partner on weekends and/or 6PMish-midnightish pacific time on weekdays, tag me.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2017
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Thought I was about to buy this tonight, I was hanging by a single toe on the fence between buying it and not buying it... But between my discord chats and steam chat, I can't find a single person interested, who has a similar schedule to mine, and isn't already invested in a campaign... so I'd have to play it solo. On the "Eventually, maybe" shelf it goes! If anyone is looking for a co-op partner on weekends and/or 6PMish-midnightish pacific time on weekdays, tag me.
    Co-op isn't a requirement. Playing it together is just a bonus for people who like multiplayer.

Game is perfectly fine without it like any other CRPG.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Co-op isn't a requirement. Playing it together is just a bonus for people who like multiplayer.

Game is perfectly fine without it like any other CRPG.

That's great to hear! But I have zero interest in that. I want a co-op RPG and I want to play it with a group I stick with enough that I might have a gasp of a hope of someday getting to play the GM mode with them.

I've played lots of CRPGs by myself.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Question: if I'm sort of interested in this, should I absolutely start with the first, or is this one of those "sequel improves the systems of the first a lot so you should really just go for that one" deals?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    personally I don't think you need to start with the first.
    Though if you fall in love it might be very hard to go back to it after.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    I'd agree with Viking. It's not absolutely essential to play the first game to enjoy this one. But! The first game is so worth playing so you should pick it up at some point if you decide to go with 2 first.

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The story in the first one was so boring, though. I ended up quitting near the end of the first area (which was still something like 30 hours).

edited September 2017
    Gameplay of the first Divinity OS is amazing but yeah, the story is abit lacking.

It does a good job of covering this though and standing out compared to other CRPG revivals by being as weird and whacky as possible. Like frequently talking to animals (with pet pal talent), taking quests from inanimate objects to battling snow men (complete with carrot noses) and mecha chickens.

Its a very colorful game compared to just about everything else in the genre.

Dr. Chaos on
    Eh, i think the combat is the weakest part of the game.
    But then that's mainly me finding the difficulty set bit higher than it should be, those who enjoy the challenge will like it more.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Crowd control, crowd control, crowd control. Get that going, and the combat is much more manage-able.

my os1 team is built of practically nothing but cc.
    and summons

I think the combat is fantastic, the problem is you start the game with almost no gear and the game doesn't signpost you very well to the places you should be. The first game had this problem, too. The enemies also take advantage of the combat system quirks and you need to as well, so you can very easily build your party in a way that hampers your ability to take on the tougher fights.

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but my first party actually skipped the entirety of Fort Joy because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. I snuck around and avoided every fight because the magister battles were so difficult, and I got to the swamp and got my ass kicked because I was level 3 with no gear and I missed the dungeons and a ton of early stuff because I wasn't exploring enough.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I do suggest turning on toon outlines-- the default key on PC is tilda-- it makes combat and general navigation much less of a chore.

Fairchild on
    i got out at level 4 (just hit level 6), so far the combat has not been that much of an issue (except when i wander into wrong area), but so not a fan of the armor mechanic.
    My characters have between 12 to 40 armor, while enemies can be anywhere from 60 to 135, and what it mostle does, depending on fights, is either make the combat slower without adding real challenge, or give the enemies a huge unfair advantage forcing you to scramble to recover from the CC unbalance you fell at the beginning.
    It works in some fights, where enemies rely more on positioning than their armor, but i just feel that most enemies are too tanky.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I read that you only make one character this time, which would get rid of the main reason I couldn't play through the first (because I am a crazy person who cannot not micromanage everything). If I play on easy is it possible to just play through with my character alone? I kind of suck at party management in these games.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Well hello there fellow human. That appears to be a similar schedule to mine. @Raiden333 let me know if you'd be interested.

Aistan wrote: »
    I read that you only make one character this time, which would get rid of the main reason I couldn't play through the first (because I am a crazy person who cannot not micromanage everything). If I play on easy is it possible to just play through with my character alone? I kind of suck at party management in these games.

There is a lone wolf perk that gives you a ton of bonuses.

Though i don't see going solo being all the easy, even on easy.
    Just too many enemies, too much cc, way too much armor (and some enemies can heal armor through skills/spells).
    It is possible, but probably not easy.

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I'm only a handful of hours in so far - about ten total, minus time for resets - but it feels fantastic and I love it. The gameplay is similar but more importantly the charm and wit of the first game is still very present the second time around.

There was a portion of the game that was accidentally made very difficult by skipping sections accidentally, missing out on experience and gear that would have made a huge difference. I think I had level two knives for the Flenser; I wanna say that I had a damage range of 3-4 on one of my weapons so more than doubling that after dealing with that portion was a godsend. Going back to that section gave us a lot of in between gear, slightly weaker than the level appropriate gear we had but much better than what we replaced or hadn't been fortunate enough to replace. Whoops!

butts
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, seeing the opinions, I'll probably go directly to 2 then.

It has lizard people anyway, so it's clearly superior.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited September 2017
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, seeing the opinions, I'll probably go directly to 2 then.

It has lizard people anyway, so it's clearly superior.
    Even better: zombie lizards.

Dr. Chaos on
    Thinking of heading back to fort joy to slaughter all the magisters i can myself, loot, xp, and almost as importantly, dead magisters.
    It comes clear pretty fast that these people are monsters.
    Well meaning monsters in some cases, but monsters.
    Though i guess some people are just naive, ignorant and misled, but fuck it, there were nice nazi's as well, kill em all anyway.