Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Lorek wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Soo... how the hell are you supposed to level up to fight all the bullshit in act 2?

https://divinityoriginalsin2.vidyawiki.com/Areas+By+Level

Murder everything.

Or do all the quests before moving on to higher areas (cf. murder, above.)

Sorry to necropost a bit but I just started this game (Steam sale purchase) and am really struggling. Is killing every NPC, friendly or not, really how I am supposed to get enough XP and resources to move forward? I've hit a wall like 6 hours in at level 3 with only 300 gold, no resurrection scrolls left, and all the paths forward appear blocked by level 4 foes with way better equipment and skills than I have.

Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but isn't there a huge non-backwards compatible patch/overhaul that comes out for this game in like.. 3 days? You may want to hold up.

Got a link for info on this?

Here's one. New version coming on August 31st.

I bought the game on Xbox, knowing it was early access, and released on Friday.

I started playing on Sunday, and Monday night i was about to leave The Joy, and got a message onscreen. Basically, thanks for playing, come back on Friday when it actually releases.

This week I've been building time in work so i can have a short friday. I shall stock up on drinks and snacks, and finally leave that fucking island !

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Working my way through the first act on PS4 and I’m surprised at how well it controls, I don’t feel constrained by the UI at all (except for inventory management, which I understand was somewhat shitty on the PC as well). Really enjoying it so far, I picked Sebille as my player character and am rolling with Lohse, Red Prince, and Ifan in my party, all with default classes. I might have to bump the difficulty down from classic, though, some of the fights inside Fort Joy are brutalizing me and I don’t want to feel like I have to strategically slaughter every NPC to keep up with leveling requirements.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Working my way through the first act on PS4 and I’m surprised at how well it controls, I don’t feel constrained by the UI at all (except for inventory management, which I understand was somewhat shitty on the PC as well). Really enjoying it so far, I picked Sebille as my player character and am rolling with Lohse, Red Prince, and Ifan in my party, all with default classes. I might have to bump the difficulty down from classic, though, some of the fights inside Fort Joy are brutalizing me and I don’t want to feel like I have to strategically slaughter every NPC to keep up with leveling requirements.

The game gets easier to handle as you understand more of the mechanics and it's a lot harder to miss quests after you're off the island and have more robust hubs.

That said, the beginning can get rough at times as you may well be lacking in physical and magical armor due to equipment availability which means you are fodder for CC abilities.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    My research is leading me to believe the beginning is pretty poorly designed.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

It tries to cram a lot in so it doesn't feel like tutorial island. But the itemization at the start is not handled well and that's a problem when the armor/magic shield systems are so key to combat.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think a big part of my problem is that my party is still mostly wearing rags and two of them have no armor to speak of, so they get picked off in fights pretty quick. I may just try to back out and see what I can steal before changing up the difficulty.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    A single level can make a big difference to stats in this. If you're wearing level 3 armour and fighting at level 5 you'll find it considerably harder.

Don't forget that crafting always scales to your level. This is very useful early game as you can craft a new sword or bow at every level up and it will actually be worth using.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    There are also a lot of breaking and entering/stealth options for getting off the island, especially once you get the ability to teleport.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

It's better than DOS1 starting zone, IMO. Also a lot smaller which helps - there's not any really high level encounters. You can still easily run into fights you can't handle but that's just Divinity for ya.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

It's better than DOS1 starting zone, IMO. Also a lot smaller which helps - there's not any really high level encounters. You can still easily run into fights you can't handle but that's just Divinity for ya.

Way better than DOS1's early map. DOS1's was a collection of hazardous barrels and terrain effects with ground sprinkled in between. DOS2's early map feels more like an area for adventure instead of a fantasy OSHA nightmare.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    There are also a lot of breaking and entering/stealth options for getting off the island, especially once you get the ability to teleport.

IMO Telekensis kind of breaks the game in some ways. Like, I get that it's been a thing in Divinity for a long time, but it still allows for the stinkiest of cheese at times.

• Options

It tries to cram a lot in so it doesn't feel like tutorial island. But the itemization at the start is not handled well and that's a problem when the armor/magic shield systems are so key to combat.

Oh yeah, speaking of this, they're adding an entire additional deck to the starting ship to put more actual tutorial-ey stuff there and hopefully have you a little better prepared when you actually make landfall.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

Oh yeah, speaking of this, they're adding an entire additional deck to the starting ship to put more actual tutorial-ey stuff there and hopefully have you a little better prepared when you actually make landfall.

The xbox version I've played this week is already the latest version, then.

You have a new deck with a fight, a door to open, loot, food, etc. Then you go up a ladder to where the game used to start.

One more day until it unlocks. Just a five hour day to get through tomorrow, then i get to leave The Island...

In the meantime, I've started a solo game on the easiest setting, to see how that goes. I forsee lots of investments in Memory for all the skills I want...

• Options
    Looks like the PC version went live already, downloading a 8.2 GB patch.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Two questions,

1) How is couch co-op? Especially for someone whose never played an RPG before? Usually me and my gf play things like overcooked. I wonder if this would be too much.

2) Have they made any improvements or updates to the game master mode? I was pretty excited about it when it came out but reviews at the time seemed to be just ok.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Couch isn't terrible.

My biggest complaints are the split screen itself. Mainly I like having that option, but I hate actually playing that way. If you don't it is totally fine.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I've heard that the frame rate can struggle, anyone running this on an Xbox one x?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I've heard that the frame rate can struggle, anyone running this on an Xbox one x?

I am, and it seems fine to me. But then, low framerate would only really show during fights with lots of spell effects onscreen, and the screen is normally static then, so I'm not sure how low framerates woild look on this.

Also, it's live on Xbox ! It patched overnight, i put it on before work to test it, and now I'm going into work 2 hours later than intended.

On the bright side, i have a boat now !

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I didn't really care too much for the first one, but I picked this up on PS4 last night and downloaded it. Need something for the long weekend, and to carry me to Spider-Man on Friday. It looks cool, and I'm always looking for a new RPG to play, so I hope I don't bounce off this one like I did with the first game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    What're some good Archer builds in this? My co-op partner is a Ranger-aholic so odds are ~100% she'll be making some sort of bowperson.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Does melee feel any better/more versatile in this than it does the first game?

I had a rogue and warrior I struggled with in OS. My selection of grenades I kept on them and Beardotr's various arrow types are what basically got me through it all.

Was kind of eyeing an undead with a mix of big axe moves and necromancy but a crossbow would probably serve me better if I'm looking at a similar situation as the original where enviromental manipulation and status effects are king.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    What're some good Archer builds in this? My co-op partner is a Ranger-aholic so odds are ~100% she'll be making some sort of bowperson.

Its pretty hard to fuck up Huntsman. Early game especially - tactical retreat, sky shot, ballistic shot, elemental arrows & ricochet will do ya real good. Getting high ground advantage for the damage bonus is paramount, so pairing with any movement skills or with aero to teleport enemies to LOW ground is really strong.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Warfare has some absurdly good CC skills and does really good damage. The Executioner talent gives you more AP after a killing blow, which helps both with mobility and providing a sort of cleave mechanic. The Picture of Health talent is hilariously good later on because it gives you 3% vit for every point of Warfare, so its 30% more health just for being melee.

Scoundrels do super gross amounts of damage.

Both of them pair very well with other skills - Poly is a natural for either, but Geomancer is very useful for Warfare to pair with due to some excellent defensive synergies. Aero can be handy with Scoundrel to teleport and stun your targets and give plenty of time to backstab the shit out of them.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I had a rogue and warrior I struggled with in OS. My selection of grenades I kept on them and Beardotr's various arrow types are what basically got me through it all.

Was kind of eyeing an undead with a mix of big axe moves and necromancy but a crossbow would probably serve me better if I'm looking at a similar situation as the original where enviromental manipulation and status effects are king.

OS2 is a lot more conservative with hazardous barrels and terrain effects. You can still create a lot of the latter with your own spells and a few enemy types automatically generate them but as a whole it's no longer a big game of fantasy arson simulator.

It feels like you had a lot more mobility options to reposition melee characters in OS2 too. Polymorphs can grow wings for a few rounds to fly, rogues get a teleport that positions them for backstabs, etc.

But the big change that makes physical characters stronger IMO is the armor system. Armor and some skills add a layer of physical protection that needs to be broken through before you start damaging health and making an enemy vulnerable to some CC. There's an equivalent for magic armor and another set of CC effects. Platemail mostly adds physical protection with some magic protection while an enchanted robe does the opposite. This weakens magic a bit compared to the first game because mages can't immediately throw CC effects all around the battlefield. Melee skills are incredibly good at burst damage as the game goes on and can more quickly open up a target to physical CC.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Is 2 better about mixing disciplines then? In 1 we swiftly discovered that trying to use any skills that didn't key off of your main stat was basically impossible.

• Options
    Is 2 better about mixing disciplines then? In 1 we swiftly discovered that trying to use any skills that didn't key off of your main stat was basically impossible.

Oh for sure. Points in the discipline are the most important thing.

• Options
    edited August 2018

It depends.

You can't just dump all your stat points into one stat so you have more incentive to branch out a bit. A tank can benefit a lot from using defensive skills from strength scaling warfare and intelligence scaling geomancy.

But some skill lines have skills that don't really scale off a stat, e.g. the aforementioned sprouting of wings from polymorph doesn't care about strength the same was as tentacle lash does. Others you just might not care about the damage portion so much as the utility.

And some just scale off different things or being boosted by different things so you have magic abilities that scale off things besides intelligence like necromancy skills benefiting from Warfare's physical damage boost due to being physical damage. Or a rogue benefiting from Warfare's damage boost even if they don't have the ideal strength for some its actual skills.

Related note: Warfare is a great skill.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2018

By Act 4 all of my characters had skills from half a dozen disciplines. In the first game trying to use spells with low intelligence was pointless because they had ridiculous CD and maybe they didn't even do anything since it was a scaling % chance to do X, in this one utility skills (and there's a lot of those) just do what it says on the tin, no ties to any stat.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    OS2 is a lot more conservative with hazardous barrels and terrain effects. You can still create a lot of the latter with your own spells and a few enemy types automatically generate them but as a whole it's no longer a big game of fantasy arson simulator.

This is hilarious to me as someone who hasn’t played the first game much because every fucking fight in DOS2 for me ends like

dplxe7vfmhs6ebmibodk.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2018
    You know what? Fuck it, I'm just going to play as a mage.

Fane can come but he's getting neutered into a non necromancer class. Only I get to be the cool zombie guy with black magic.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    It does make me sad that marksman and scoundrel don’t synergize for shit.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm looking to make a ranged mage steeped heavily in necromancy, any suggestions on a good synergy? Melee skills like warfare would normally be a no brainer with the list of spells I'm seeing that would aid physical attackers and defense but if I'm going to go necro, I kind of want to focus on a traditional looking robed spell caster glass cannon.

I thought summoning would be a natural fit but it sounds like the summons from necro and summoning cancel each other out when used.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

This is hilarious to me as someone who hasn’t played the first game much because every fucking fight in DOS2 for me ends like

Yeah, but that fight is due to oil demons leaving oil around as you fight around an oil field. OS1 would have that happen on a sheep farm.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Necro summons will still scale in strength with the summoner skill, all summons do regardless of which school the summon spell belongs to.

Also things the game doesn't tell you: hidden spells created by combining spell books from 2 different schools.

You can mix hydrosophist and necromancer to create a Blood Rain spell that will require points in both schools to use.

Mixing summoner with elements can give you a spell that converts your summon into that element type, etc.

The thing about necromancer is that investing points in it doesn't scale your damage, it scales the self heal aspect. All of your damage scaling will come from intelligence, so even if necromancer is your 'main' identity, you only need to put enough points into it to meet the spell casting requirements.

For other schools each point increases damage by 5% so if you want to be a pyromancer you're much more incentivised to max skill ranks.

So, take necromancer for a few points and only increase it when you need to cast a higher req spell.

Take a couple in hydro for any spell caster because healing is very useful.

Now pick a couple of other schools to augment your necromancy. Summoning is a fine choice, then maybe add an elemental type.

Aetherothurge goes well with some hydro because of electricity + water. It also gives you teleport which is amazing.

From memory, I think combining necromancer and aetherothurge can give you spells that suffocate enemies and silence their spell casting.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Good thing I'm a masochist. Took me a damn hour to kill those three crocodiles in the starter area last night. I need better gear dammit.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    Good thing I'm a masochist. Took me a damn hour to kill those three crocodiles in the starter area last night. I need better gear dammit.

did... did you steal all the things...?

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

did... did you steal all the things...?

I stole a cooking pot

made dinner with it.

• Options
    Have you considered wearing it as a helmet?

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Is there any tips for stealing in this game? I tried robbing and pickpocketing people in the tutorial boat; unlike in the first game, people definitely notice stuff missing... and then they murdered me :(

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Is there any tips for stealing in this game? I tried robbing and pickpocketing people in the tutorial boat; unlike in the first game, people definitely notice stuff missing... and then they murdered me :(

After you steal something, run far away from them for "a while". The person will usually go through a little scripted bit mentioning they noticed their item is missing. If any of your other characters are still nearby, they may demand to see your inventory, and be satisfied that you don't have it.

A little while after that, it's usually safe to come back near them with it in your inventory. The safest bet is to fence it to some unsuspecting rube before coming around again.

I legitimately can't recall if I've sold something I've stolen back to the person I stole it from. Seems like I have? But I don't specifically remember. Basically everyone will trade something, so you can just about always find somewhere to unload your booty.

Cog on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

The key to thievery is that it's never a one-man (or woman) job. You need your other party members running interference with any nearby NPCs that might notice what's going on. Simply have your Very Chatty party members 1-3 start a dialogue with whatever NPC is a way that faces them away from your potential robbery area, then switch to another character without ending the dialogue. Once all proper NPCs are stuck in dialogue and facing a safe direction, appropriate any goods you deem necessary for your divine quest, and then take the thief a safe distance away.

As the NPCs are released from conversation, they'll notice things are missing and they'll ask to check the inventory of the party members nearby. This is no problem, because they're not carrying stolen goods. The NPC might check 2 or 3 people, I forget, but once they stop looking, you're good.