Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Yeah basically stealing boils down to 'don't get caught with the hot items in your inventory'.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Is there no real point in putting points in sneak?

Got through the entirety of OS1 theiving with no points invested in it. Crossing my fingers its the same here.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Got through the eternity of OS1 theiving with no points invested in it. Crossing my fingers its the same here.

Depends on what you do with it. It's less for thievery and more for having a character get a good opening hit in combat with the Guerrilla perk if you take the time to set it up.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Got through the eternity of OS1 theiving with no points invested in it. Crossing my fingers its the same here.

Depends on what you do with it. It's less for thievery and more for having a character get a good opening hit in combat with the Guerrilla perk if you take the time to set it up.

That character will want to have a really good escape plan though.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

If you held that character back from the rest of the party they can sometimes sneak up to their target while everyone else is in turn based mode and the escape plan is just the party finishing the fight. But a way out is a good idea if a monster notices the sneaker before they reach the intended target.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

If you held that character back from the rest of the party they can sometimes sneak up to their target while everyone else is in turn based mode and the escape plan is just the party finishing the fight. But a way out is a good idea if a monster notices the sneaker before they reach the intended target.

Sometimes your sneaker can also be dog-piled by the enemy after the opening salvo, is all I'm saying.

• Options
    It would be fun to just try all-scoundrels though and see if you can open with a shitload of backstabs and stuff and end the fight before it began.

Physical defense would be a real issue, and getting set up would take a year, but you could open a lot of fights by just erasing all the enemy casters.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Word of caution that I recall from this: Your sneaker will be inserted at the end of the current turn if they join combat already in progress.

SO, ideally you'll wait until the last player-controlled character taking a turn is up, switch to your out-of-combat rogue, sneak in and unload on somebody with your free shot. That minimizes how many will get a free shot at the rogue before the rogue takes their own in-combat turn.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    this game is big, huh

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I'm really digging the new changes, but I don't remember the mouse-over tooltips when holding down alt as being so intrusive. I can't find a way to calm them down or adjust their delay.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    this game is big, huh
    According to HLTB, you might be looking at 93h 54m if you're looking to do everything.

Get comfortable.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    So, have ya'll managed to keep Sir Lora alive? In my game he had an unfortunate accident with some land mines I teleported past. :(

• Options
    I have him but I have't been in serious danger with him yet.

Only Ifan can talk to him and he seems to detest everyone but the Red Prince.

Side note: They totally upped their writing/voice acting game in Definitive.

• Options
    I just now stumbled on this but this site looks like a really really comprehensive resource for crafting, among other things.

• Options
    The reworked quest log is still fucking useless.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Ok, this was a bit weird. Got to Driftwood, the city in Reaper's Coast, was stopped by a magister and it escalated a bit and when the fight started, the locals sided with me. I didn't want any trouble so I ran away. When I came back the magisters were dead along with half a dozen civilians, one of which invited me to a picnic while lying in a pool of blood and talked about how she wouldn't want to miss the upcoming festival with her husband whose corpse lie nearby. It's a bit creepy, especially with the cheerful VA.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Ok, this was a bit weird. Got to Driftwood, the city in Reaper's Coast, was stopped by a magister and it escalated a bit and when the fight started, the locals sided with me. I didn't want any trouble so I ran away. When I came back the magisters were dead along with half a dozen civilians, one of which invited me to a picnic while lying in a pool of blood and talked about how she wouldn't want to miss the upcoming festival with her husband whose corpse lie nearby. It's a bit creepy, especially with the cheerful VA.

Look, she probably needs something fun to focus on after what she just had to go through.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sweet Christ, I realized there's Steam Workshop support. The Quality of Life mods!

An always-sprint toggle!

Adding a respec mirror to Fort Joy!

Shared bartering and attitude!

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Downloading those post haste. Barter not being shared is duuuuuuuuumb

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Sweet Christ, I realized there's Steam Workshop support. The Quality of Life mods!

An always-sprint toggle!

Wait...is there a sprint toggle for consoles, because if so, what the hell have I been doing for the last fifteen hours?

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So far I've been French kissed by a weird witch who vomitted bugs into my mouth and been licked/ear nibbled by a different creepy lady. All during conversations with no way to avoid these occurances. I'd love NPCs to stop violating my character please ;)

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »

An always-sprint toggle!

Wait...is there a sprint toggle for consoles, because if so, what the hell have I been doing for the last fifteen hours?

Don't know anything about console version, these are just available from Steam Workshop.

There's lots of obviously crazy shit available there as well, if you're interested in just straight cheating like crazy, but there's also some interesting new classes, and mods that allow you to have custom max party sizes up to 10.

There's also one I'm really curious to try that rebalances the later game power creep and is meant to reward alternate more creative builds and play-styles.

I just took always-sprint, fort joy respec, shared bartering/attitude, and a mod that gives Sir Lora some armor and resistances and better AI.

One other thing I might try is a mod for lucky charm that removes its affect on looting containers but gives a chance for any non-summoned creature to generate extra loot in their inventory when combat starts.

There's a mod for 8 max AP too, so if you fully skip a turn, you don't lose 2 AP (normal max is 6, so you only carry over 2). This feels mildly cheesey though, and you could do a lot of crazy shit in one turn with 8.

• Options
    I am really taking the "steal everything" mantra to the extreme this playthrough and it makes a huuuge difference.

Every single time I encounter a vendor, I engage them in conversation with one character, and the rest of my characters form a queue behind them to rob them blind and run away. They search my single character, find nothing, and my other characters saunter back in, equip everything of use, and sell all the rest of their shit back to them.

• Options
    I am really taking the "steal everything" mantra to the extreme this playthrough and it makes a huuuge difference.

Every single time I encounter a vendor, I engage them in conversation with one character, and the rest of my characters form a queue behind them to rob them blind and run away. They search my single character, find nothing, and my other characters saunter back in, equip everything of use, and sell all the rest of their shit back to them.

Interesting side node with this strategy though, Zaleskar outside Fort Joy decided that while I had nothing of his in my inventory and hadn't stolen stolen anything from him, I had obviously committed crimes, and attacked me regardless. I had to reload, remove everything marked "stolen" from my inventory, and then I checked out.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/kslaeOUk7N4

Pretty good, but too long for my taste.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular

Interesting side node with this strategy though, Zaleskar outside Fort Joy decided that while I had nothing of his in my inventory and hadn't stolen stolen anything from him, I had obviously committed crimes, and attacked me regardless. I had to reload, remove everything marked "stolen" from my inventory, and then I checked out.
    Some people do that. I don't know which ones but some do. There's also one Act II NPC that you can get a set of rewards from based off a persuasion check. Failing them gives the bad options (some are really, really bad). One of which is an item that's flagged as stolen and guards will constantly harass your characters while you have it and attempt to arrest you. It's possible, though I'm not entirely sure, that your characters are actually just searched for the rest of the game.

Steal everything is good but waiting until gear goes up a tier is also good because more expensive items, better items, and thievery scaling on skill level is exceptionally high. Vendors in the first area gain second tier skills at level four and more are available at level eight so it can be a good idea to wait until certain times to steal.

As for NPCs violating your characters I don't specifically remember any beyond a "kiss" you very much have to opt into and know what you're getting yourself into BUT you are likely able to prevent them from happening through different dialogue options.

butts
  • Options
    So I'm like ankle deep into act two. Is it worth it backtracking to the fort and taking on the fights I wasn't able to? Will the mad scientist guy still be there? I do want to go back and rob the merchants now that my theft skill is higher at least.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Once you finish an act you can never return.

butts
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Is anyone here at the III or IV act of Definitive Edition?

Can anyone tell me if devs bothered to create some conclusion for unfinished quest from act II, The Silent One?

• Options
    This quest now has a followup (if you free the girl). The quest is called "Silence Broken".
    It was mentioned to having a followup in the dev changelog they posted.

butts
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think I'm genuinely stuck on the island outside of Arx. Pretty sure I'm underleveled at 17. All of the available fights are level 18 enemies which presents a gigantic brick wall. I have a couple pieces of level 18 gear and the jump in defense values is stupid high, almost double. All of the advice I've found has boiled down to "get into Arx and do some noncombat quests" and I can't even do that because the fight outside the entrance is too hard.

• Options
    Jookie wrote: »
    Once you finish an act you can never return.

Ah I was mistaken and thought Act 2 was trying to escape the island. I went back and got everything I wanted before boarding the ship.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Just after getting on the boat:
    Did they really just kill off all the other companion NPCs?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Yeah

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So do mods disable achievements? I remember they did originally (or maybe I'm thinking of PoE2?), but not sure about now. The Barter thing is just a nice quality of life mod, it's silly that I have to give all my things to one character if I want the best prices, especially since it's important even in classic mode to scrap together all the money you can.

also i don't know why i care about achievements but all the rest of my friends do so I blame PEER PRESSURE

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Yeah

Bold. Well, I guess I have to pitch all these body parts I was saving overboard now.

Unrelated, anyone have wizard advice? I find that since everyone else in the party is doing physical damage I can't burn down magic armor fast enough to accomplish much. I've been relegated to buffs and the occasional dog with no magic armor.

• Options
    Frei wrote: »
    So do mods disable achievements?

They do.

• Options

Yeah

Bold. Well, I guess I have to pitch all these body parts I was saving overboard now.

Unrelated, anyone have wizard advice? I find that since everyone else in the party is doing physical damage I can't burn down magic armor fast enough to accomplish much. I've been relegated to buffs and the occasional dog with no magic armor.

Occasionally there's an enemy with a bunch of physical and next to no magical armor. I mean a really lopsided mix or even just no magical armor. But if all three other members only do physical damage (my original flavor party had one character split between the two types which was enough to pair with a mage) then you might want to have that wizard go into necromancy as that does physical damage.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Yeah

Occasionally there's an enemy with a bunch of physical and next to no magical armor. I mean a really lopsided mix or even just no magical armor. But if all three other members only do physical damage (my original flavor party had one character split between the two types which was enough to pair with a mage) then you might want to have that wizard go into necromancy as that does physical damage.

Or summoning as that does whatever flavor damage you feel like

• Options
    edited September 2018

Yeah

I tend to find that since CC rules the game, getting CC'd is the worst thing, so killing enemy spellcasters is the most important thing, and since spellcasters generally have worse physical armor, doing physical damage is generally better.

Some things you can do to help your casters be effective:

Be a Necromancer. Lots of necro spells are resisted by physical armor. Decaying touch, Mosquito Swarm, Raining Blood, Infect. Bloated Corpse does physical damage when it explodes. Grasp of the Starved does physical damage. Bone Widow used to be amazing but it got nerfed super hard.

You can cast Shackles of pain and then drink poison which hurts your shackled target and is hilarious. Undead can shackle and drink healing potions, which actually does fucking absurd damage. Both poison or healing potion tactics are crazy powerful because Shackle and drinking potions are each 1 AP actions. You can shackle and drink 3 in one turn. Even in Fort Joy, you can make a pile of Medium healing potions easily and those heal for 140 a pop. Giant healing potions heal for 1670. And you can drink 3 in a turn. You know, assuming they don't kill you. Hydro/Necro can drink a couple of poison bottles, and then Armor of Frost to restore their magic armor and cure the poison.

Shackles someone and then run around triggering attacks of opportunity.

Combine Shackles with Last Rites for max lulz. Even better if you have Comeback Kid. Last Rites does obscene piercing damage, which ignores armor, Comeback Kid keeps you from dying.

Necromancer is hilarious.

Be an Aerothurge. Teleport can't be resisted and does physical damage when they land. Smoke Cloud is a good defense from ranged. Nether Swap is almost as good as teleport, and better in some circumstances.

Be a Geomancer. You can create shitloads of oil surfaces through things like Fossil Strike and Turn To Oil, and oil's slow effect works regardless of their armor. You also get skills like Oily Carapace which turns that oil into physical armor, and Mend Metal which just repairs armor, and those can feed Reactive Armor, which does physical damage. Corrosive Touch destroys physical armor.

Be a Summoner. Maxed out incarnates are pretty scary.

Use weapons that do some amount of elemental damage, which goes off magical armor.

But for real, be a necromancer.

Summoner is probably the 2nd most useful. Aerothurge and Geo are pretty even. I give the nod to Aero because of Teleport/NetherSwap, and the ability to pair it with hydro and make lots of steam clouds or huge wet surfaces that you can shock to do crazy AoE damage. You might be damaging magic armor but you can hit fucking everyone.

Cog on