As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Given recent DND product announcements, I am guessing players go to hell.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I loved divinity 2 so I can’t wait for the next game

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Regarding the Larian Baldur's Gate thing -

Jason Schreier, excellent reporter at Kotaku, said on ResetEra "In case there was any doubt, a lot of people are privately confirming to me secondhand/obliquely that this is for real. Holy fucking shit."

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Came here to post about this. Wild!

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I recently started playing Orignal Sin 2 and was just checking for 3. Hopefully they keep the stuff that works well in Divinity and fit into Baldur's Gate. Nifty surprise news.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It’s kinda weird seeing Larian take on someone else’s property after that documentary showed how passionate they are for doing their own thing.

But DivOS2s mechanics and engine are pretty much perfect for isometric party based tactical RPGs.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I’d rather have more divinity to be honest , played the pc d&d games when I was younger but I never really enjoyed them .

edited June 2019
    Well, this fight really sucked. I had no chance except for (Blackpits end fight spoiler):
    the fact the stupid dogs just with "Zzzt!" to Red Prince instead of killing him. I assume this was the eternal armor he's wearing confusing them? Everyone else was dead (before doing anything) and re-dead soon as they got resurrected after I blizted the Eternal bitch down (and that only worked because I think she killed herself off shackles of pain). But Red just slowly killed the dogs while they ran around doing nothing.

If it wasn't for that that fight seems pretty unfair or the difficulty at least spikes up all of the sudden there.

Xeddicus on
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, this fight really sucked. I had no chance except for (Blackpits end fight spoiler):
    the fact the stupid dogs just with "Zzzt!" to Red Prince instead of killing him. I assume this was the eternal armor he's wearing confusing them? Everyone else was dead (before doing anything) and re-dead soon as they got resurrected after I blizted the Eternal bitch down (and that only worked because I think she killed herself off shackles of pain). But Red just slowly killed the dogs while they ran around doing nothing.

If it wasn't for that that fight seems pretty unfair or the difficulty at lease spikes up all of the sudden there.

It's possible they couldn't get in range of him to attack because bodies blocking tiles or that there was a ground status between you that they won't run into. They have really, really low magic armor to the point where even just a single charm grenade should be capable of stripping their resist and charming them (which is really, really, really useful if you don't have characters that move first and can't control them easily). Armour of the Eternals I don't think makes you immune to air damage but it does make you immune to stun which could have also been why they didn't attack since I remember something about them in particular being air based.

butts
    Are the characters not in your party you don't leave Fort Joy with just gone forever like seems?

Are the characters not in your party you don't leave Fort Joy with just gone forever like seems?

All the playable characters are gathered up one more time automatically after leaving FJ, so you get one last chance to pick them.

After that they're gone.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So dumb question

But I scared of Ifan going through the Lunar Gate. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned, except he had almost all of our money and gear. Does that go anywhere? Or am I just SoL?

I dunno, but I'd reload and take it off him. Sure it didn't give you the gold at least? I know it gives you the pyramids when people leave the party.

I dunno, but I'd reload and take it off him. Sure it didn't give you the gold at least? I know it gives you the pyramids when people leave the party.

He had about 70k. I’d definitely notice.

OH THANK GOD

IT WAS IN A BACKPACK WITH A DIFFERENT ICON THAN OTHER BAGS

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    With these guys making BG3 I pretty much have to play OS2 now.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    It’s excellent. I’ve never planned to replay a game before but already have ideas for my replay as a lone wolf Fane.

• The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Did itemization ever get fixed, or are you still forced to "upgrade" your lvl 9 Holy Avenger St. Badass artifact sword with a crafted lvl 10 sharpened stick to keep up with the curve?

Did itemization ever get fixed, or are you still forced to "upgrade" your lvl 9 Holy Avenger St. Badass artifact sword with a crafted lvl 10 sharpened stick to keep up with the curve?

they make the tradeoff a little better, and you need to upgrade less

I just used a mod that allowed for you to re-level items to your current level at a moderate cost

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506420847
    Crafting Overhaul [DE]

Some other useful mods:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1502627053
    Fort Joy Respec - Definitive Edition - adds a respec spot to the beach in FJ

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499453694
    Toggle Sprint - Definitive Edition - lets your characters move at higher speed when in non-combat (exploration) mode

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499450313
    Bartering Tweaks - Bartering Tweaks shares the highest barter and persuasion bonuses among the party while trading.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The bartering tweak absolutely should have been in the game

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

they make the tradeoff a little better, and you need to upgrade less

I just used a mod that allowed for you to re-level items to your current level at a moderate cost

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506420847
    Crafting Overhaul [DE]

Some other useful mods:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1502627053
    Fort Joy Respec - Definitive Edition - adds a respec spot to the beach in FJ

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499453694
    Toggle Sprint - Definitive Edition - lets your characters move at higher speed when in non-combat (exploration) mode

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499450313
    Bartering Tweaks - Bartering Tweaks shares the highest barter and persuasion bonuses among the party while trading.

Thank you!

In all of my playthroughs I could go one level up without noticing a difference but by the time I've gained two levels I would notice that my old weapon was comparable to magical weapons. Armors it was almost always better to hold on to better stats than to upgrade armor numbers.

butts
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Playing this for the first time and holy shit I just got my ass kicked by this Kniles the Flenser guy in Fort Joy. I killed him, expecting all the mobs to de-aggro and that did NOT HAPPEN. I just don't have enough stuff to keep me healed up in combat and between combat.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Playing this for the first time and holy shit I just got my ass kicked by this Kniles the Flenser guy in Fort Joy. I killed him, expecting all the mobs to de-aggro and that did NOT HAPPEN. I just don't have enough stuff to keep me healed up in combat and between combat.
    Biggest piece of advice - pick up a bed roll for every human player and use them after combat. They heal party HP and give a tiny buff. +1 str/dex/int is five percent more damage for three rounds but if memory serves can also be used to prevent a single knockdown if it's within the three turns the buff is active. Another interesting note is buffs cast on a unit that is in dialogue don't tick down. Can abuse this to haste/peace of mind a character used to start dialogue and then cast on a different character before ending dialogue that triggers combat. Less micro intensive if it's done with at least one other player.

Bed rolls can't be used in combat or near enemies because...well...that'd be incredibly busted and negate the game's difficulty almost exclusively on its own but still very worth having.

In a slightly related story it saved my ass the last time I played this a few days ago. End combat with a dead character. Last res scroll used on that character while I set off a fire trap. My friend decided to resurrect Lohse right next to my now on fire character. The only thing that saved her was that I had used my bed roll just before she took damage and didn't die.

butts
    edited June 2019
    Fort Joy I ran into a few fights that were too tough until I leveled up once past when I found them. Probably gear related too, but you have awhile to do everything and it warns you when it'll cut you off from the area, so no reason to bang your head on any fight.

You may want to pick up resurrection scrolls when you see them to start with, too. There's not really much to spend gold on, either, so if you can't steal them (you should steal them. Steal everything. EVERYTHING!) no loss. I hit a round of someone dying every combat and suddenly was out. Of course, now that I have a stock pile no one has died barely.

Xeddicus on
    Stealing is good but keep in mind that you can also only steal once per NPC per character. It's worth keeping +thievery gear in a backpack so you can throw it on whichever character to steal more. Might require random stuff with +dex on it too so str/int characters can use it as well. Having higher skill in thievery lets you steal more value and more weight with non-linear scaling and if you get caught that character can no longer steal. Better to wait as long as you can to get the most value out of the poor NPCs. From memory you can find gear that grants a total of +6 thievery, some of that coming only from unique items.

If you do care about min-maxing that much you actually stop caring about gold. The last full run I did we ended up with over a million gold total abusing thievery with only two characters. We started stealing stuff for the sole purpose of making sure we made it past that milestone.

If you really, truly want a failsafe there is a way to get an infinite amount of copies of an item that resurrects the owner on death and can be recharged by combining it with a res scroll (which can even be done in combat at the cost of AP). It takes a couple of minutes to do per character so it's not exactly free but it is doable. It shows up in Act 2. Abusing it kind of would make Honour Mode a cakewalk but the hard part of the game is Act 1 so it eases up a point that's not completely worth taking the time to do.

butts
    Honestly I sort of regret not playing on story mode. I just don't have time to die and retry strategy, I really just want to play it for the story that everybody says is so incredible.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Things should mostly stop being hard once you get going (assuming you didn't do one of the harder modes...), but you can switch the difficulty at any time in Options->Gameplay.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I picked this up finally and reached fort joy. Seems like a really slow start but the last one of these i played was pillars of eternity 1, the first one. How long does it take to pick up steam? I am doing a !it of poking around the fort because I hate missing things but maybe I'm being a bit too exploitative right now.

I'm also curious if there is a way to highlight containers and other things besides just items. I got a notification that is found a secret and then could not find anything to interact with in the vicinity, and it's frustrating generally not being able to identify all interactables.

Get this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506230499 Adds tooltips to like everything almost. I don't think it works on the mounds of dirt which is a lot of the secrets, but they show up on the minimap if I recall.

Ok. This game is really really cool, but also kinda weird, design wise.

I’m not wild about the armor system. It incentives one type of damage, physical or magic, across an entire party. And because some enemies are highly resistant or immune to certain elements, physical damage seems superior. I have an even split of spellcasters and weapon based party members, but as soon as I can respec I’ll remake them focused on one damage type over the other. And I don’t really like that.

There are the little things too, like bumbling around for items because not everything gets highlighted. I’ll install that mod but it should be in the base game.

Overall I like the game a lot. The combat is great, they’ve really updated turn-based rpg play with more of the sensibilities of a game like xcom.

I spent about two hours on one major boss battle because I was trying to work on my tactics, dying and then trying different approaches. For a little while it seemed impossible until I found a nice bottleneck to control while I covered the ground leading to it with elemental effects. Felt really good to win that one.

You can also get a mod to respec right away, otherwise you have to wait until you get out of the first area.

Get this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506230499 Adds tooltips to like everything almost. I don't think it works on the mounds of dirt which is a lot of the secrets, but they show up on the minimap if I recall.

i wish stuff like this didn't disable achievements :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Once again, mods to the rescue: Enable achievements with mods.

Oh I also wish I had access to more skill books. For whatever reason I couldn’t always buy from the vendors at fort joy, and the books were to expensive to get more than one or two.

But I did kill the one guy who tries to stab you in the back with his teleport shit, which felt awesome. And he had a bunch of aeromancer. So now my guy is loaded up with like 8 skills and everyone else still has 3, maybe 4.

Once again, mods to the rescue: Enable achievements with mods.

ahahah amazing

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Oh I also wish I had access to more skill books. For whatever reason I couldn’t always buy from the vendors at fort joy, and the books were to expensive to get more than one or two.

But I did kill the one guy who tries to stab you in the back with his teleport shit, which felt awesome. And he had a bunch of aeromancer. So now my guy is loaded up with like 8 skills and everyone else still has 3, maybe 4.

Steal. Get a thief, raise thievery and steal steal steal. Note you can only do it once per NPC so you want to max the skill out as much as you can before you rob them blind.

Otherwise, eventually you start drowning in gold and skill books are everywhere on vendors. Just need to keep an eye out for the first ones to spawn and also some skills books seem to be crafted only (corpse explosion for instance).

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Steal skill books while a character that doesn't need them is engaged with the seller and then have your other characters use them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist