As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, I've finally got around to playing this. I had bought it some time ago (probably on some steam sale), but hadn't gotten around to actually playing it till now, but with all the talk about BG3 I figured I should get around to playing it. I'm liking it so far, but I feel like I've made a serious mistake in my party composition. I'm not sure how this thread is on spoilers, since its been out a long time, but just in case, I'm in chapter 2:
    I've just gotten to the marshes by taking the boat helped by the "rebel" magisters in Fort Joy. I'm trying to find the safe home for the refugees from Fort Joy. However, other than the first fight with the undead, they are all kicking my butt six ways from Sunday. Even the one non-undead battle I've found (the crazy lady from the boat) like, unloads a first shot aoe, and like takes all my peeps down to half health. I definitely have some regrets in party composition (me a wayfarer, Sebille, Lohse with their standard builds, and to get some more up front beef, I made Fane into a battlemage). This party makeup seems problematic currently because I don't have any attacks of opportunity, so there is nothing to keep their dps from just rushing through to me or Lohse (both kinda squishy), and I can't with the armor/skills I have, can't really focus anyone down fast enough. I definitely regret on the last level up, not taking attacks of opportunity for Sebille and Fane. I'm not sure if its just that I seem to be undergeared/leveled or not a good group composition.

Really thinking about restarting and making Fane a straight up fighter or knight? Maybe change Sebille to some class that does magic damage and go full magic to try to just tear though all magic armor? Any advice is welcome.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I was in your spot just a couple of days ago. Gear makes a huuge difference. Scour the map for anything not nailed down so you can sell it and get good stuff for yourself. Look for easier fights you may have missed back in the fort or the beach before it to get more xp but even more importantly cash.

And don't forget to use consumables liberally, this isn't a game where you get to hoard them all "just in case".

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    there were definitely points in the game where I got to a new act and was like

"motherfucker this goes on for how long now? how much game can there still be left? "

This is CRPGs in general.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You definitely want to focus on one type of damage, either physical or magical. You can’t CC anyone until they lose their armour that stops those status types (e.g. knockdown - prevented by physical).

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    I got stuck 40 hours in last time due to the difficulty being either way too hard. Or, when I turned it down a notch, extremely easy.

This thread has convinced me to give it another shot. Going to read some build guides first this time though.

And not do ALL the quests. It became a bit tedious last time too.

• Options
    I think I've cleared up everything in starting island in terms of quests and enemies (i went back to the fort and had sweet revenge on the lvl 4 magister doofooses there, and looted all their stuff while at it). Have not done anything that requires taking to animals since don't have that perk and think it's a dumb one.

One of the origin characters that's not in my party (the lone wolf guy) foolishly joined me in my guard slaughter and died before i could drop a heal on him.

I never found Fane.

Got the special armor set so that's nice.

Only thing that remains is assault the hill with the ship.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ifan will be miraculously alive at the end of the chapter. I think Fane will appear as well (although he hides out where the guy wants you to teleport to the treasure.)

If you enable the gift bags that Larian have added (basically mods you can enable that don’t disable achievements) there is one that grants everyone pet pal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hey cool I just started this game a couple weeks ago, fun that there's a not-super-dead thread :D

One comment is that someone last page said that one problem was you could adjust your party's formation, so they started every fight in a blob. That wrecked me, too, until I found out you could! There's a Formation option in the menu. Set it up there, and when combat starts your characters will (clumsily, sure) get into that formation. Roughly :P

That was a revelation when I found it. It does reset every once in a while, so you may occasionally have to set it back up again, but it's quick to do.
    So, I've finally got around to playing this. I had bought it some time ago (probably on some steam sale), but hadn't gotten around to actually playing it till now, but with all the talk about BG3 I figured I should get around to playing it. I'm liking it so far, but I feel like I've made a serious mistake in my party composition. I'm not sure how this thread is on spoilers, since its been out a long time, but just in case, I'm in chapter 2:
    I've just gotten to the marshes by taking the boat helped by the "rebel" magisters in Fort Joy. I'm trying to find the safe home for the refugees from Fort Joy. However, other than the first fight with the undead, they are all kicking my butt six ways from Sunday. Even the one non-undead battle I've found (the crazy lady from the boat) like, unloads a first shot aoe, and like takes all my peeps down to half health. I definitely have some regrets in party composition (me a wayfarer, Sebille, Lohse with their standard builds, and to get some more up front beef, I made Fane into a battlemage). This party makeup seems problematic currently because I don't have any attacks of opportunity, so there is nothing to keep their dps from just rushing through to me or Lohse (both kinda squishy), and I can't with the armor/skills I have, can't really focus anyone down fast enough. I definitely regret on the last level up, not taking attacks of opportunity for Sebille and Fane. I'm not sure if its just that I seem to be undergeared/leveled or not a good group composition.

Really thinking about restarting and making Fane a straight up fighter or knight? Maybe change Sebille to some class that does magic damage and go full magic to try to just tear though all magic armor? Any advice is welcome.

Once you get into Act 2 (aka leave Fort Joy):
    You can respec everyone for free and as often as you like by going back to the ship. Attributes, Talents, Appearance even, everything can be changed. The only immutable thing is Skills you've learned, which.... well, to be fair, can be an issue depending on what you're wanting to switch. (Like, going from mage to knight is gonna be a lot of wasted skills.)
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I think I've cleared up everything in starting island in terms of quests and enemies (i went back to the fort and had sweet revenge on the lvl 4 magister doofooses there, and looted all their stuff while at it). Have not done anything that requires taking to animals since don't have that perk and think it's a dumb one.

One of the origin characters that's not in my party (the lone wolf guy) foolishly joined me in my guard slaughter and died before i could drop a heal on him.

I never found Fane.

Got the special armor set so that's nice.

Only thing that remains is assault the hill with the ship.

Awww you skipped Pet Pal? I love Pet Pal! You miss so much character (and some quests!) without that. And Fane was tricky to find, he was all hidden and sneaky-like :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Fort Joy is like The Hinterlands. 40 hours in you get past it and go "wait that wasnt the whole map?"

I hated Fort Joy. It is not well conveyed how the hell you get out of there, and even after I had the means to do so I spent a long time wandering around trying to understand where the game wanted me to go next.

I played DOS2 for 100+ hours. I desperately wanted to love that game but there were so many little things that drove me absolutely insane. Such as: tons of “surprise” combats, bugs, UI issues, unclear effects of certain attacks and spells, random unexplainable deaths in combat, and other stuff.

I liked the game, I did. I don’t consider my time wasted. But literally in front of the last boss I just stopped playing and have no desire to go back.

As a result I’m extremely skeptical of BG3 because it seems they are doing a lot of the same things.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Yea had that a few times. I think I stopped playing at the black pits when literally everything was on fire.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Yea had that a few times. I think I stopped playing at the black pits when literally everything was on fire.

That's truly a bullshit fight. The whole combat I was muttering to myself "I don't want to wipe because it would mean having to re-do this fight, I don't want to wipe etc." It's just super-laggy, not very interesting and takes forever.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a fight that benefits greatly from teleport skills.

• Options
    There is an NPC there you can save. I kept trying for hours but finally realized i just have to keep teleporting him out as he runs back into the fire again and again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's a great game but it's very poorly balanced so if you aren't taking advantage of exploits it becomes extremely difficult. Fort Joy is ridiculous in how challenging it can be from the very beginning. It more or less forces you to become a thief because there isn't enough gold earning to get the skills and equipment you need to advance (despite it being the freaking tutorial) but if you continue stealing everything you're overpowered for most of the remainder of the game.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I’m definitely hoping that having an IP owner riding herd over them for BG3 reins in some of Larian’s more obnoxious impulses.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    There is an NPC there you can save. I kept trying for hours but finally realized i just have to keep teleporting him out as he runs back into the fire again and again.

I ended up save-scumming until I used teleport to create a cage of barrels around the NPC so they couldn’t move. It was the only way to keep them out of suicidal combat.

That’s where my replay bogged down. I spent so long avoiding that fight that, when I finally got to it, I didn’t want to play anymore.

• Options
    I feel like they've been learning a lot from game to game.

I think switching to 5e will sand off some of the issues with leveling imbalance and encounter design.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I couldn’t remember Blackpits so I had to look it up. Holy shit, that’s another one of those “oh you didn’t know a fight was coming? Now the entire party is bunched up and primed for aoe spells, and you’ll be playing from behind the rest of the encounter.”

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I think switching to 5e will sand off some of the issues with leveling imbalance and encounter design.

That’s my hope. What they do well is world class, but their mid to late game combat design is a huge barrier to enjoying it.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a fight that benefits greatly from teleport skills.

I don't disagree but you are basically describing 80% of the fights in the game. :D

• Options
    My favorite was when i teleported a high level enemy into lava for instant kill, then his corpse back so i could loot him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I once teleported to what appeared to be an open square and immediately died because there was an invisible enemy there. That was... something.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

This is my hope as well. Larian seems committed to listening to players (and their players don't seem dominated by a core of git-gud-make-it-harder knuckleheads, a la what happened to Darkest Dungeon). Each of their games has been a quality of life improvement over the last, and I've enjoyed each one more (warty as they sometimes are.)

I'm cautiously hopeful for BG3. (Not a huge fan of the Dragon's Age look, as Dragon's Age was a dog for me. But I will hold judgment until I've been able to get some playtime under my belt.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

That's truly a bullshit fight. The whole combat I was muttering to myself "I don't want to wipe because it would mean having to re-do this fight, I don't want to wipe etc." It's just super-laggy, not very interesting and takes forever.

oh hey thats the fight I was doing with @SniperGuy last night! We wiped twice, and the third time we were doing really well, until I bumped a macro key that shouldn't even be enabled and it reloaded our last save point :(

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

oh hey thats the fight I was doing with SniperGuy last night! We wiped twice, and the third time we were doing really well, until I bumped a macro key that shouldn't even be enabled and it reloaded our last save point :(

Hahaha I just did that fight earlier today. I thought I was gonna be able to keep the guy alive, but once the second wave spawned it was gonna be way too obnoxious. There's only a couple more areas of this map left I think, so it wasn't too hard of a fight to not wipe in. I think I have the option to leave and go to the next Act now, but not doing that yet definitely.

Steam profile
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Hopefully we get release dates. And a confirmation on an D:OS III be nice, even though that does not seem likely at this point.

• Options
    I don't see how to beat Aetera without cheesing or just being already overleveled a bunch. Golly.

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    I don't see how to beat Aetera without cheesing or just being already overleveled a bunch. Golly.

yeah that's one of those "come back in a few hours" fights

if you're doing it while you're at or a few levels below Aetera, some strategies that commonly work are

mind maggot grenades
    medusa gaze
    web/smoke bomb

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    She's also undead, so Soul Bonding her and healing a bunch will murder her if you're feeling spicy.

• Options
    That one took me a bunch of tries bit what worked was a spreading everyone out before the start, teleporting her dogs out of the way, and focus firing her before she summoned even more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Hopefully we get release dates. And a confirmation on an D:OS III be nice, even though that does not seem likely at this point.

I’m hoping they announce that BG3 will be on the new consoles, since current gen aren’t beefy enough.

Maybe a Original Sin 1 remaster ?

Or an expansion for OS2 would be nice.

• Options
    There’s a OS 1 and 2 bundle on the Xbox Store now, I wonder if that was one of their announcements ?

• Options
  • Options

I was just coming here to post this.

I might reinstall, it sounds like they’d added a fair bit of stuff.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm finally getting around to playing this. I've heard the first area is a bit of a slog. Is there any recommended mods that might help that, kind of like the dungeon skip in BG2? Another other tips? It's been a long time since I played D:OS 1.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm finally getting around to playing this. I've heard the first area is a bit of a slog. Is there any recommended mods that might help that, kind of like the dungeon skip in BG2? Another other tips? It's been a long time since I played D:OS 1.

D:OS2 will let you wander into harms way. If you find yourself in an encounter that seems unbeatable or is way too tough, back out and save that for later.

Regardless of alignment, steal everything you can sell without reprisal. The game is heavily gear dependent, so having cash on hand to upgrade weapons and armor helps a lot.

Minor mechanical spoiler:
    The first area is big and takes a while. Once you get off it, though, you get ready access to easy re-speccing. So don't sweat your builds too much.

In general it helps to have characters (and even the party) focus on one type of damage over the other (physical and magical, whatever the game's names are for them.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    A mod in the Steam Workshop called "Bartering Tweak" allows you to share a team members highest barter and persuasion bonuses with the rest of the team. It should have been a core component of the game IMO

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    A mod in the Steam Workshop called "Bartering Tweak" allows you to share a team members highest barter and persuasion bonuses with the rest of the team. It should have been a core component of the game IMO

Oh man that has been one of the most obnoxious things.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Also, isn't a mod required to respec your character? Or did Larian put that in the game eventually?