As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Also, isn't a mod required to respec your character? Or did Larian put that in the game eventually?

That is in the game, you can change everything about all the characters for free as much as you want once you get past Act 1.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Also, isn't a mod required to respec your character? Or did Larian put that in the game eventually?
    Don't you get free respecs in the magic mirror in the hold of your ship after you get out of Fort Joy?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    One of the gift bags added a respec mirror to Fort Joy.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I saw a couple that looked interesting, like the pet pal perk for free or spirit vision all the time. Also something called Combat sneak, that lowers sneak costs. Majora’s Character Creation Plus looks interesting.

Divinity Unleashed seems highly rated but sounds like it's a ton of stuff, maybe too much for a first time play through.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Pet Pal is free in the game now without modding, no? They added it in a big balance pass, I'm nearly certainly.

I played before it was free, but I never regretted taking it. It was always fun chatting with critters. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Pet Pal is free in the game now without modding, no? They added it in a big balance pass, I'm nearly certainly.

I played before it was free, but I never regretted taking it. It was always fun chatting with critters. :)

I thought it was only free for lizards? Not sure

Also, big caveat on the respec since I said it covered anything. Skills can't be removed or switched around

Steam profile
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm finally getting around to playing this. I've heard the first area is a bit of a slog. Is there any recommended mods that might help that, kind of like the dungeon skip in BG2? Another other tips? It's been a long time since I played D:OS 1.

A single level makes a huge difference in the early game. I started playing recently and got quite frustrated that all the fights in Fort Joy seemed impossible with my levels and lack of armour. However, they will pretty much all sit around waiting for you so squeeze out all the non-combat quest XP you can find first and then revisit those fights and you'll be rolling in no time.

A big tip is that when one of your party is in a conversation that looks like it's heading for a fight, you can switch to your other party members and get them into position ready before you end the dialogue. Positioning is often make or break on a fight as the enemy loves to lob an AoE power at you if you're in a gaggle at fight start and that can put you terminally behind before you've even taken a turn.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'm finally getting around to playing this. I've heard the first area is a bit of a slog. Is there any recommended mods that might help that, kind of like the dungeon skip in BG2? Another other tips? It's been a long time since I played D:OS 1.

A single level makes a huge difference in the early game. I started playing recently and got quite frustrated that all the fights in Fort Joy seemed impossible with my levels and lack of armour. However, they will pretty much all sit around waiting for you so squeeze out all the non-combat quest XP you can find first and then revisit those fights and you'll be rolling in no time.

A big tip is that when one of your party is in a conversation that looks like it's heading for a fight, you can switch to your other party members and get them into position ready before you end the dialogue.

This is also useful for thieving. A party member that's in a conversation will hold that NPC in the conversation (and hold their line of sight) indefinitely.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Also you can set a formation in the menus that your pay will automatically take when combat starts, which is another way to not lose every fight to AOE instantly.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It's one of the Gift Bag mods. You can still take the trait but no longer have to.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Anyone tried Divinity Unleashed 2.0? Sounds like they re-balanced armor and such, wonder if it smooths out early combat?

• Options
    So I'm looking at some guides. Looks like you can pick classes for your companions? What would be some cool combo's? I was looking on here for some cool looking ones: https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Builds

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    So I'm looking at some guides. Looks like you can pick classes for your companions? What would be some cool combo's? I was looking on here for some cool looking ones: https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Builds

Yeah any of your companions can learn any skill, it's pretty open ended. There aren't really strict classes in the game.

Each companion does get one unique skill, and that combined with hey their racial bonuses and story quests makes them unique.

• Options
    Also you're entirely free to respec yourself and your companions as much as you like once you hit chapter 2.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Also you're entirely free to respec yourself and your companions as much as you like once you hit chapter 2.

Except for skills.

Yeah I looked around for some builds I liked. https://fextralife.com/divinity-original-sin-2-builds-druid/ is a summoner-type build that's pretty fun imo, but I've always liked summoning things :P . https://fextralife.com/divinity-original-sin-2-builds-scourge-wizard/ is another fun magic-based one, which is built around stacking a bunch of AoE dots on enemies. One of my characters is also a duelist https://fextralife.com/divinity-original-sin-2-builds-duelist-rogue/, but I don't think I recommend that. Reeeally squishy.

Steam profile
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

A big tip is that when one of your party is in a conversation that looks like it's heading for a fight, you can switch to your other party members and get them into position ready before you end the dialogue.

This is also useful for thieving. A party member that's in a conversation will hold that NPC in the conversation (and hold their line of sight) indefinitely.

It’s not just useful. I robbed every NPC blind by entering a conversation, switching over to my thief and taking all their stuff. Then moved the thief a bit off screen, finished the conversation, and everyone is gone before they can start accusing you of stealing.

I don’t know if that was intentional or not but once you have a little bit of sneak and pick pocket you become swimming in gear and gold. It’s really broken.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Last question, man this game has a ton of options lol. I'm reading you can play one of the companions as your main vs custom. There seems to be a ton of back and forth on what folks did. Some folks seem to like Fane as a main since his side story is related to the main, but many others like him as a companion as you get more dialogue.

What did folks here do? I'm seeing back and for for Sebille, Red Prince, and Lohse mains and companions. Sounds like Beast is the odd on out and is bad. Ifan sounds like the generic protagonist either way.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Fane is the undead right? I’m trying to remember, it’s been a while. But anyway a lot of people play the undead because he has really powerful abilities. Poison heals him for starters.

• Options
    Last question, man this game has a ton of options lol. I'm reading you can play one of the companions as your main vs custom. There seems to be a ton of back and forth on what folks did. Some folks seem to like Fane as a main since his side story is related to the main, but many others like him as a companion as you get more dialogue.

What did folks here do? I'm seeing back and for for Sebille, Red Prince, and Lohse mains and companions. Sounds like Beast is the odd on out and is bad. Ifan sounds like the generic protagonist either way.

I'd say Ifan and Fane have the most connection to the main story. Even if you don't main him, having him along gives more insight into the recent history of the setting.

The rest reveal interesting facets of the setting but more from side quests or optional approaches.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I played Beast as main and had a grand old time. Beast's character story is pretty funny, actually.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    I played Beast as main and had a grand old time. Beast's character story is pretty funny, actually.

In the original release, his story stuff was a bit lacking but it's supposed to have been improved in the definitive edition. I did enjoy him as a follower in the original iteration but his story is less unorthodox than the other character's so it stands out less.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I'm maining Fane (only picked him because I could do a skeleton with a luxurious moustache which made me laugh) and it is nice that the plot is making me feel like an extra special boy. Slight echoes of Planescape Torment in uncovering the big dealings of the past and also finding out I was part of them but just can't remember.

I don't think you want any custom characters, either for companions or especially as your main. Everyone is extremely free to build how you like anyway so you're just cutting out plot for no gain.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    There is something about these types of games that makes me want to create my own dude. I can't really explain why, exactly. I don't really have a problem playing an established character in say, Mass Effect. But it probably has to do with associating these types of games with TTRPGs, and in those I don't want to play someone else's character. I didn't have much interest in playing the established characters, and I'll probably feel that way about BG3. But it definitely feels like there is a gigantic hole in the story when creating your own, and I think that's a shame.

But honestly the more I think about this game the less I like it, but that is just me.

• Options
    hmmm some of the gift bag stuff looks cool. The pet power thing especially looks neat since Ifan's wolf is supposed to be pretty weak. But it disables achievements which is strange. So is it better to just grab the QoL stuff from the workshop? Doesn't look like the pet power thing is a mod.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The wolf is powered up by ranks in summoner, as is every 'pet', so not taking summoner on him leaves it as largely useless past the beginning.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    hmmm some of the gift bag stuff looks cool. The pet power thing especially looks neat since Ifan's wolf is supposed to be pretty weak. But it disables achievements which is strange. So is it better to just grab the QoL stuff from the workshop? Doesn't look like the pet power thing is a mod.

The pet thing is specifically to cast some buff spells on other pets instead of only the one summoned by the Summoning spell. The wolf still ends up decently strong with just points in the summoning skill.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    yikes, my inventory is already a massive mess. Anything that can be marked as a 'ware' should be? What about books, read them then toss them? or are some quest related and you need the item? If I remember the first game, I didn't really need food that much, only things that lowered AP. And with a sleeping roll, seems I'll need food less here as well? or is it useful in combat?

• Options
    yikes, my inventory is already a massive mess. Anything that can be marked as a 'ware' should be? What about books, read them then toss them? or are some quest related and you need the item? If I remember the first game, I didn't really need food that much, only things that lowered AP. And with a sleeping roll, seems I'll need food less here as well? or is it useful in combat?

Some foods provide stat buffs. But you need to actually use them instead of saving them in case you need them later. I've used some in quests but that's pretty rare (though one hungry rat ate a lot of items before I finished the quest).

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Anything i intended to sell (including armor, weapons, etc...) I marked as ware so one botton would put all of it in the sale window.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Boy it's been awhile since I've played this type of game. My quick saves are once every 5 minutes lol.

• Options
    This game has weird ideas sometimes.

Let’s have a set piece where we separate the party across a dangerous cave and have the player try to unite them one by one. But let’s not disable the ability they have to fast travel back to a central point or magically pass the teleport items they have between inventories regardless of distance.

I forced myself to play it straight for the fun but it was more than a little silly.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Let’s have a set piece where we separate the party across a dangerous cave and have the player try to unite them one by one. But let’s not disable the ability they have to fast travel back to a central point or magically pass the teleport items they have between inventories regardless of distance.

At the start of that place I thought I was getting total party wiped so I kept on reloading and trying the fight again, then I left the whole cave and went elsewhere. If you are going to do the "party loses but not really" thing just give me a goddamn cutscene.

• Options
    Oh man I blocked that part of the game from memory. They somehow managed to make a section of the game that is worse than Fort Joy.

Side note
    You can skip that entire portion of
    the game with some fiddle teleportation placement. It’ll take you right to the boss area of the game.

I actually discovered this during play but didn’t follow through because I thought was the “wrong” way. So I let myself be captured and that was a mistake...

• Options
    Oh man I blocked that part of the game from memory. They somehow managed to make a section of the game that is worse than Fort Joy.

Side note
    You can skip that entire portion of
    the game with some fiddle teleportation placement. It’ll take you right to the boss area of the game.

I actually discovered this during play but didn’t follow through because I thought was the “wrong” way. So I let myself be captured and that was a mistake...

Don't even have to do anything particular tricky
    You can uncover the fast travel point at the rear of the dungeon while exploring the area map and making your way down to a landmark for a quest objective. That lets you quickly walk into the end boss if you want though you miss out on a lot of experience from fights that way.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    It's just kind of RNG-ish. Had a quest to get teleport gloves, but once your in the quest, you can't get back up. I ended up going down 3 levels and the rest of my party was above. Had to roll pretty far back on that one. Also it seems gear is RNG per load as well. I've had rings with random abilities each time I load up.

EDIT: I'm getting kind of annoyed that if you use something from someone else's pack, it applies to the character screen on the left. If it's in their pack, have them use it. I just lost another 15 minutes because my main character tried to eat a hand.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    ARRRRGGGG, damn this game. Just finished a longer quest and then some stupid rando guard kills my black cat. WTF. Love going back 30 minutes...

• Options
    The game is definitely growing on me. Getting out of Fort Joy helped. But mostly just having more skills that allow for variety in combat is fun. The AI isn't bad either. Most of my party is ranged and the AI will gladly teleport one of my units right into the middle of a bunch of their units.

I'll see how this ends up though. I'm already 40+ hours in and only at the start of Act 2. I remember getting towards the end of DOS1 and feeling like I just want the game to end. I'm a bit OCD and all the wandering around collecting junk will eventually probably fatigue me.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The game is definitely growing on me. Getting out of Fort Joy helped. But mostly just having more skills that allow for variety in combat is fun. The AI isn't bad either. Most of my party is ranged and the AI will gladly teleport one of my units right into the middle of a bunch of their units.

I'll see how this ends up though. I'm already 40+ hours in and only at the start of Act 2. I remember getting towards the end of DOS1 and feeling like I just want the game to end. I'm a bit OCD and all the wandering around collecting junk will eventually probably fatigue me.

yeah there's a lot of that
    I was near 200 hours by the time I got to the ending, although I do play pretty slowly.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

yeah there's a lot of that
    I was near 200 hours by the time I got to the ending, although I do play pretty slowly.

138 hours, doing most stuff and collecting most stuff. Probably not 100%, but also not leaving much behind.

I enjoyed it a lot. When I start RPGs, I am usually a do all quests, explore all paths, open all containers kind of player. Then, at some point, I'll reach a point where I say "Screw it" and then just beeline the main story to finish out.

I did hit that point in D:OS2, but it was late, maybe at the 110-120 mark by my playtime. While I recognize the obtuseness of some of its game systems, the somewhat anachronistic nature of figuring out how to do all the encounters in an area without doing the overleveled ones that kill you too soon, and the general grindiness (esp. keeping gear at or near your level), it all just fit for me. Something about D:OS2 is just a match for my gaming DNA.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    I really like how things are just open. I could try and take out a level 12 troll with my level 8 folks, but it'll probably end badly for me. So I went back to town and started talking to folks to see what else I could do. The downside is that leveling seems a bit slow. I feel like I've talked to most folks in Driftwood and I'm only level 10, but everything outside of driftwood is around level 12. Also my civic skills just don't seem to jive so far. I've only done persuasion on my main character but I fail 50% of my checks because I'm 1 down. Thankfully I got a ring that I will not be returning to the owner that helps lol.

I hope for BG3 they just streamline the main experience a bit better. The combat is fun and I can't wait to try it out with 5e rules, but I want more to play with haha. Speed up Act 1 and 2, then open up Act 3 with slower leveling but more stuff.