As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The little bit I saw of it it seemed like it would be very likely i'd end up killing pretty much everyone in that first area.

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, seeing the opinions, I'll probably go directly to 2 then.

It has lizard people anyway, so it's clearly superior.
    Two is great but one is also great.

They feel very similar, the main difference I'm noticing so far is physical/magic armor which acts as a shield for incoming damage as well as preventing corresponding status ailments - physical armor prevents knockdown and bleeding, magic prevents stun and burn for example. The first game your character has two different stats corresponding to status ailments and each skill has a percent chance to inflict, minus resist. 140%-80%=60% chance to occur.

I personally prefer armor but it's not some impossible archaic system previously.

Armor also changes how fights play out until you get rid of it. After that it's still stun city baby.

butts
    emutheelf
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Hopefully the armor won't get in the way of abusing control.

One of my favorite things to do in OS1 is just to open up the battle by creating a giant soup of status effects with grenades and arrows. Bomb the area with fire, knock everybody down with tremor grenades, throw some nail and plague grenades, etc.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Generally the rule in game 1 is open up with a Mage drenching the area with rain, then taking your pick of freezing or shock-creating effects to turn the enemy's zone into a death trap.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    It's similar in game 2, though the encounters are organized more around enemies being weak to either magic or physical. You'll generally only be able to crowd control half of the enemies on the first couple of turns, the other half will be strong against physical/magic and be moving around doing things. Tanks also have lots of ways to add different types of armor to their team if someone runs out, and the healers are in case someone is getting focused. The AI is also pretty good with archers always trying to take high ground and abusing the status effects the same way you do.

It's a good system.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The base system is good, i just think it's tuned higher than it should.

That said, how are people building their characters, spread skills around or focus on one or two skill lines?
    Currently going for couple skills myself, except one point on huntsman on the rogue, and one to hydro (for heal) on my summoner/necromancer custom.
    But complete lack fire magic and poison/oil is kinda hampering my effectiveness.
    Probably should add a point or two to fire/earth, but that would hamper my main spell lines a lot.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Hopefully the armor won't get in the way of abusing control.

One of my favorite things to do in OS1 is just to open up the battle by creating a giant soup of status effects with grenades and arrows. Bomb the area with fire, knock everybody down with tremor grenades, throw some nail and plague grenades, etc.
    It adds to difficulty in what I consider to be a strategy game. As long as it never feels unfair I'm good with it.

My favorite strategy, after I learned I could do it, was similar to yours. Only Jahan had a really high initiative when I brought him. Jahan was also made to learn ice wall. The enemy AI doesn't know what to do when completely sealed off by ice wall so they just...stand there. Grenades are capable of going over ice wall which means you're allowed several free turns to just throw shit over. Because high primary stat reduced the cooldown of abilities you could permanently keep a wall up as long as you didn't accidentally destroy it.

C H E E S E

butts
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    I really like the Armor/Magic Armor system, it prevents you from abusing CC to trivialize every fight but on the flipside it also means you are not as vulnerable to the same.
    you just need to whittle down the corresponding defense before you can go full added effects.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Actually it sounds like Lone Wolf still takes effect if you have one party member. Also those bonuses are ridiculous, holy crap.

I guess I will have to pick this up at some point.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I might have to start over after a few hours. It feels like I have a bad mix with an enchanter, battlemage, wayfarer, and cleric. Gonna wait until I find Sebille first but I'm getting my face kicked in most battles. Though if I could find armor that was anything close to my enemies that'd help too.

... there is a device that lets you rip the faces off of dead people.

Sold.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    What?! I didn't even know this was a thing, and it's OUT? Yeeeeeeeessss.

camo_sig2.png
    Viking wrote: »
    I really like the Armor/Magic Armor system, it prevents you from abusing CC to trivialize every fight but on the flipside it also means you are not as vulnerable to the same.
    you just need to whittle down the corresponding defense before you can go full added effects.

Though not being vulnerable requires you to get some pretty decent gear.
    Even my tank character only has physical armor of ~60 and half that of magical armor.
    While many enemies seem to have 100+ and 50+ armor stats.
    On top of that the enemies really go for elemental effects like ice and oil surfaces, using special arrows, spells and attacks, and they seem to be pretty decent at positioning and teamwork (fairly impressive actually).

That said, rogue has really become a vital part of my team here. going all out, my rogue can, usually, whittle down the physical armor of most enemies in one turn (and being utterly useless in the next), allowing tank to go in for a knockdown, and my necromancer to put in bleed.
    Magical armor is a bit tricker as i don't have decent burst for that, but summoner pet and totems can help with that both taking down armor, and providing targets other than the characters, as long as i can find elemental surfaces to use, which usually i can, thanks to red princes fire breath and conjurers rain spell.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The way the resistance system works has bummed me out in a few fights. 3 of my characters pretty much only do physical damage and only cast support spells. I see a bunch of fights where every enemy has a lot of both armor and magic armor so doing magic damage to something that will just get stabbed/shot faster is redundant. I usually have to pick one enemy my mage type can focus on and sometimes they might get to kill them before the melee party cleans up the room. I've found a few spells that target mundane armor instead of magic armor but they aren't heavy hitters.

MadpoetQuid
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Holy crap. Me and @Moridin889 are going to start a co-op campaign with custom characters tomorrow, but I'm playing it solo tonight to learn the UI and the combat and such, and I had an amazing scene in Fort Joy as Sebille in like, my first hour of play.
    Ran into Stingtail. I let Red Prince take some drugs with him and get what he needed, and then I went about my dark work, extracting the info I needed with my own intoxicant: violence. After putting him out of his misery (which was a mercy, considering our past), Red Prince grabs me by the throat, and I have to kick him in the balls to break free. We're not too happy with each other at the moment.

And then I get a tutorial popup that even though nobody noticed the murder, I've created a crime scene that NPCs might find and investigate later.

I can already tell this game is going to be rad as hell for roleplaying, I can't wait till we get some DM-run community campaigns going after we've all finished the story.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    chrono_travellerIolo
    edited September 2017
    Writing has so far definitely been the strongpoint of this game.
    Custom characters may loose some of that strength though, so be warned.
    But even as one watching npc's going through their own storylines is pretty interesting.

edit-
    Though i have noticed few conversations referring to other conversations, that have not happened.
    example:
    after meeting Glowy McGlowyface, i had a convo with <insert npc of same race here> and i said that Glowy McGlowyface had said they were a liability, but even doing the meeting again two times, i could find no such mention.

Nyysjan on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I tried to get my BF insterested in trying the first game co-op and was going to show him OS2 to see if he'd like it. We giot to the loading screen-

"YOU CAN PLAY BONNIE RAITT?"
    "That's not Bonnie Raitt it's..."
    "......................yes you can play Bonnie Raitt."
    "IS SHE A WIZARD"
    "I think she's a witch.
    "YOU CAN PLAY WITCH BONNIE RAITT?"

So now we;re playing this game about Bonnie Raitt that came out a few years ago.

chrono_travellerAistanFairchildBionicPenguinIoloQuidstopgap
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Friend and I started a multiplayer campaign. I really dislike that you can't examine your party members gear or stats easily if they're being controlled by someone else. Also, it seems like once one person takes control of a companion, it's theirs forever. So we've been running with 2 and 2 for now, but it's weird that I can't request control of his companion to do something.

Coop is fun though y'all! Mostly it's great, just minor complaints

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I tried to get my BF insterested in trying the first game co-op and was going to show him OS2 to see if he'd like it. We giot to the loading screen-

"That's not Bonnie Raitt it's..."
    "......................yes you can play Bonnie Raitt."
    "IS SHE A WIZARD"
    "I think she's a witch.
    "YOU CAN PLAY WITCH BONNIE RAITT?"

So now we;re playing this game about Bonnie Raitt that came out a few years ago.

Have you told him yet that Bonnie can talk to animals ?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I have been dying to get started in this.

Have spent an absurd amount of time playing around in GM mode. reading wikis and checking reddit to get answers about builds and mechanics just wanting to play so bad.

But one of my group needs to a build a computer first. So the rest of us are just waiting... and waiting..

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Friend and I started a multiplayer campaign. I really dislike that you can't examine your party members gear or stats easily if they're being controlled by someone else. Also, it seems like once one person takes control of a companion, it's theirs forever. So we've been running with 2 and 2 for now, but it's weird that I can't request control of his companion to do something.

Coop is fun though y'all! Mostly it's great, just minor complaints

The host can change that in the Party Management window after hitting ESC.

Spawnbrokerdestroyah87m!ttens
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    So, anyone not murder Kniles the Flenser on their way out?
    So, I'm trying to play through the first one before I get DOS2, and this probably isn't a spoiler for anyone here, but I just tried to fight (big boss guy near Cyseal)
    Braccus Rex. And my party just got obliterated. I'm level 9 (which I think Rex is too), but his opening meteor-esque spell has either killed my party outright, or left 2 people barely alive, in the 4 times I tried (I thought once might be a fluke, but sadly no). Do I need to go around scrounging fire resist gear? level more? Several NPCs have mentioned a town up north (Silverglen?), should I go there first? Is there some trick I need figure out (like Arhu's remote for the sparkmaster)?

Help!
    Sneak in and blockade the poison dude on lower part of the room with vases, then send in only one person swimming in fire resistance potions, the second Braccus attacks, run out of the room to pull him out.
    With luck, you can deal with him and his minions one at a time.
    Utterly cheesy meta gamey way to do it, but that's fine, the fight is rather silly anyway.

Thanks for the advice, Nyysjan and others. I ended up just needing to use my tank with as much fire resist as I could muster, starting the convo, sucking up the opening volley, then running out of the room. A rather unsatisfying tactic, but funny enough, they just kinda came single file through the doorway and took out each add one by one, then the boss just kinda stood there till all the minions were dead, and he wasn't much of a challenge after that.

Also, while searching around for xp bags to try and level up to do that fight, I realized I hadn't done either of the two mini-bosses (fire or skeleton) and they had some good loot which helped a bit too. :)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Huh. She does look like Bonnie Raitt...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone done the adventure that comes with the game to show off the game master mode? it seems like it would be easier to play through for co op than the main (long) campaign

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    What the hell. This is out? I could have been playing this this weekend?! God damnit. The Early Access last year was amazing from what I played. Stopped playing it as I didn't want to ruin the experience of a complete playthrough.

Will also echo everyone else that there's no reason to play the first one if you want a more refined game. The writing and voice work alone was leagues better. Also it looks like this has full controller support (immediately makes it more accessible for folks coming from Enhanced Edition of D:OS I). All over this when I get home.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I didn't mind the voice acting in the first game even if it felt like everybody was going a lil too over the top at times. It matches the game's tone anyway.

Do want to punch Zixzax in the throat now though.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Been trying this a bit through the magic of blatantly mooching off a friend's library.

Shit on a biscuit this game does not believe in difficulty curves, does it. Pretty much every fight is a skin of the teeth issue, and I spent a very long time wandering around Fort Joy not knowing where to go because everything looked way the hell too strong. Eventually managed to get through the Arena thingy, help ghouldude, got the Hero title, and just now managed to down the Houndmaster (which took two of my resurrect scrolls and some unconventional tactics). Armor being the only thing stopping status effects can be harsh when literally everything has two to ten times my armor numbers.

On that note, is it in any way feasible to actually save Amyro without getting Stingtail murdered?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    On that note, is it in any way feasible to actually save Amyro without getting Stingtail murdered?

Yeah, kill Griff. It's not easy but it is doable.

Or don't because fuck Stingtail.

destroyah87Kana
    McHoger wrote: »

Yeah, basically I was pointing out that killing Griff seems kind of near impossible simply because he has so many dudes and he turns invisible and heals. I'd need way better stuff to have a chance, I think.

And Stingtail hardly did anything that I could see. Stealing from a protection racketeer hardly seems like a bad thing.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

Yeah, basically I was pointing out that killing Griff seems kind of near impossible simply because he has so many dudes and he turns invisible and heals. I'd need way better stuff to have a chance, I think.

And Stingtail hardly did anything that I could see. Stealing from a protection racketeer hardly seems like a bad thing.

When I did that fight, I found that the archers refused to move from their high ground. I moved the fight outside the nearby doorway and cutting it down to three made things more doable.

Also Stingtail,
    Is the one who made Sebille's slave tattoo.

destroyah87Kana

When I did that fight, I found that the archers refused to move from their high ground. I moved the fight outside the nearby doorway and cutting it down to three made things more doable.

Also Stingtail,
    Is the one who made Sebille's slave tattoo.

I might give it a shot, see what happens.
    Oh, I didn't actually get Sybille into my party. The fact I'm playing a lizard person meant she nearly killed me in our first meeting, which hardly seemed like a good beginning for a friendly relationship. She only let me go cause of the whole "saved you all back on the boat". So currently I'm running with Beast, Ifan, and the human enchantress whose name I can never get right fom memory.

The difference one level, and some gear takes is insane, especially given how little gear you find from enemies and boxes (and how random they are).
    Best advice for anyone trying this game i could give is getting someone with high stealing ability, and pickpocket the shit out of everyone you can.
    Steal and use skillbooks, buy gear, and squeeze every bit of xp out of every area you can.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    And remember when a game allows you to freely build characters as you chose there is no magic difficulty that will be smooth for everyone.

Some people will have unkillable god builds and steamroll the game like it's nothing. Other people, by choice or not fully grasping/understanding/knowing all the systems, will end up gimped and have a tough time all the way through and every possible configuration between.

But that is part of the fun of these sorts of games. That flexibility of the builds and how much more interesting it is when you actually have to figure out a way to make everything work together and make your very own strong builds.

BradicusMaximus
    The character building is very free and unfettered, which unfortunately allows you to truly screw yourself over by making a build unable to go through content.
    Which in a game that is so demanding can be an issue.

I wish i knew what spells and abilities skill has available at which skill levels.
    As it is, building characters is kinda stumbling in the dark.

• YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Did they leave in the broken elemental shields from the first game?

The difference one level, and some gear takes is insane, especially given how little gear you find from enemies and boxes (and how random they are).
    Best advice for anyone trying this game i could give is getting someone with high stealing ability, and pickpocket the shit out of everyone you can.
    Steal and use skillbooks, buy gear, and squeeze every bit of xp out of every area you can.
    Can you still craft weapons? They should be same level as you if it is the case and with how long the level ups are it isn't that bad getting the materials to replace everything.

Also I realized I need to learn polymorph skills. The passive bonus sounds really powerful as is, one free attribute point per point of polymorph. But I had an enemy turn me into a chicken that couldn't do anything but run away and I really wanna be able to do that.

butts
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    The character building is very free and unfettered, which unfortunately allows you to truly screw yourself over by making a build unable to go through content.
    Which in a game that is so demanding can be an issue.

I wish i knew what spells and abilities skill has available at which skill levels.
    As it is, building characters is kinda stumbling in the dark.

Apparently, after you reach the second act, you have unlimited and free respecs for all characters. I didn't know that. I was putting off playing the game because I was worried about screwing myself over. I was going to wait until I saw some good guides. Now I don't have to!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Kane Red Robe
    Yeah, I didn't level up anyone in thievery, sadly. So I can hardly steal for shit. My equipment is extremely limited and everything is super expensive. And the character building is absolutely just stumbling in the dark. I have absolutely no fucking idea what anything gives, so I'm just going with "eh, sounds okay".

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    What's everyone's thoughts on making your PC versus picking a pre-made and tailoring their skills somewhat? As a slight followup, is there a good archetype for the main character? Should I consider throwing speaking skills on them so I don't have to juggle who I'm controlling while initiating conversations? Any other good tips for starting a new game?

Also, multiplayer is a total blast! I played with Docshifty a bit over the weekend; it really felt like we were playing a pen and paper RPG out on the computer screen which was super cool in my opinion.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    What's everyone's thoughts on making your PC versus picking a pre-made and tailoring their skills somewhat? As a slight followup, is there a good archetype for the main character? Should I consider throwing speaking skills on them so I don't have to juggle who I'm controlling while initiating conversations? Any other good tips for starting a new game?

Also, multiplayer is a total blast! I played with Docshifty a bit over the weekend; it really felt like we were playing a pen and paper RPG out on the computer screen which was super cool in my opinion.

I'm running with all Origin characters, that way I get to experience four personal stories. If you make a custom character, you lose out on some story content for that playthrough.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    destroyah87BionicPenguinMirkeljammuKana