As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    The premades each have unique dialogue and quests. Also, you can change their class and appearance. Unless there's a certain gender/race combo you have your heart set on there's not much reason to make a custom character.

Kana
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I made a lizard custom because the only lizard available in the pregens was the Red Prince and he seemed like an ass.

Also, question: if I dismiss Ifan now for a bit to grab Sybille and put thievery on her, can I later regrab him, and does he lose whatever he had equipped and/or attitude points towards me? To try the stealing thing, you know. There's a lot of NPCs I won't steal from but on the other hand a lot of Griff's mooks are eminently stealable.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    The way the armor system works, it seems like the name of the game is refreshing your armor using skills and spells as often as possible. Things got a little easier when I had more Fortify and whatever the magic armor one is.

I'm playing as Sebille with Red Prince, Fane and Bonnie Rait all using default starter builds. One of the fights was really tough and took me 3 tries to beat. Fighting a couple of baddies with an AoE silence spell wreaked my world I have also had numerous times where I swear the enemy moved to put their back to the wall because they knew my rogue was up next. I am winning tough fights (arena, inside the fort) just barely and I rarely get out without using at least 1 resurrection scroll.

Wins feel really good though!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm not going to be playing as any of the origin characters for the simple reason that they're premade and seem better fit as companions.

I like creating my own heroes/villians with their own motivations, not ones thrown at me by the game and told to work with(looking at you, Fallout 4).

Basically I want to shape my own character as much as I can. Thats my favorite part of Western RPGs.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    DemonStaceyBradicusMaximusPixelated PixieEnclaveofGnomes
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Do yourself a favor and whatever front-line fighter build you end up with, get Polymorph as the secondary skill line.

It has the best 1st-level crowd control skill in the game, turn an enemy into a chicken for two turns and they run away from all enemies. Blocked by physical armor, but if you have a rogue or an archer, that won't be a problem for you. Some warfare skills also deal high amounts of physical armor damage.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I made a lizard custom because the only lizard available in the pregens was the Red Prince and he seemed like an ass.

Also, question: if I dismiss Ifan now for a bit to grab Sybille and put thievery on her, can I later regrab him, and does he lose whatever he had equipped and/or attitude points towards me? To try the stealing thing, you know. There's a lot of NPCs I won't steal from but on the other hand a lot of Griff's mooks are eminently stealable.

Red Prince is an ass, an arrogant, self centered ass, and i love him for it.
    And no, you don't loose attitude points for dismissing npc's.

destroyah87BionicPenguinAlbino BunnyKana
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Note that you are not required to play The Red Prince as an arrogant jerk, however. I don't. He has plenty of other dialogue options; admittedly they are a lot less fun.

Kana
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Red Prince is an ass, an arrogant, self centered ass, and i love him for it.
    And no, you don't loose attitude points for dismissing npc's.

Yeah. I made a custom female Lizard, Jester and Mystic tags, and picked up the Red Prince, Sybille, and Lohse as current companions. Dialogue scenes are fun. I do like all the origins though. I might make a game and play as Fane soon.

First, I want to get out of Fort Joy, feel like that whole area is just an overlong tutorial before the rest of the game opens up.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    McHoger wrote: »
    The premades each have unique dialogue and quests. Also, you can change their class and appearance. Unless there's a certain gender/race combo you have your heart set on there's not much reason to make a custom character.

People also like to RP certain characters. That is a pretty big reason to NOT want to play as one of the origin characters. Especially in a game like this.

I know it's my reason.

DemonStacey on
    Magic Pink
    Well, I stole a bunch of things. Can't steal all skillbooks from anyone, but twos and threes are certainly good. Sadly, the person handling the Polymorph stuff is the person I most refuse to steal from. I did get Lohse a bunch of new spells and myself a couple new warfare skills though.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Red Prince is the best. He's supremely arrogant in such a fun way.

The companions in this game are so much better than in the first game. I like every single one.

Kana
    Also, considering facing down Griff and his guys. I'd feel bad about having to kill Butter though. She seems like a decent person among all these thugs. Also, super not sure I can actually manage it but I have fuck all idea of what else to do that doesn't seem to straight up end up with me going into the main fort and probably starting the point of no return. People talk about escaping to forest or whatever, but the only forest path I found only had the skeleton sorcerer and some elves and a dead end.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Taking on Griff & Company:
    I talked all sweet and seductive to Butter earlier in the game, and when Griff attacked me for not giving up Stingtail, Butter fought on my side. Having an archer positioned up overhead was a nice little boost. We won that battle easily. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    NyysjanKanaLind
    I'll keep that in mind. For now, though, I just killed some frogs I had forgotten about murdering and I need to go to bed. More tomorrow.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Dang, trying to keep that cat alive is really cramping my style.
    I can't climb those vines to the escapees' camp without the cat's pathfinding getting stuck in the poison pool and killing him.

Am I missing something ?

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I can't climb those vines to the escapees' camp without the cat's pathfinding getting stuck in the poison pool and killing him.

Am I missing something ?

Burn the poison.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    That was a fun opening. The visual craft so far is leagues better than D:OS Part I. Like not even close.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Am I missing something ?

Burn the poison.
    rain also works if you have it

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Do yourself a favor and whatever front-line fighter build you end up with, get Polymorph as the secondary skill line.

It has the best 1st-level crowd control skill in the game, turn an enemy into a chicken for two turns and they run away from all enemies. Blocked by physical armor, but if you have a rogue or an archer, that won't be a problem for you. Some warfare skills also deal high amounts of physical armor damage.

Im undead so I like Geomancer so I can poison myself at will. And Fortify.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    All Magisters must die.
    For Emmie

doomybearNyysjanBionicPenguinJookieMvrckLind
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So how freely can you swap party members in and out in this game? Do inactive party members keep up with XP? Is there any downside to rotating people through?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    They really flubbed Tactician Mode this go 'round. It wasn't particularly good in the first game, but boy is it a slog in this one. I had to restart because just grinding through Armor to be able to CC (which was how you did it in D:OS I. . .manage crowd control and cooldowns) is just not where it is at. And it's not fun. At all.

. . .sadly, "Classic Mode" feels just a bit too easy. I wish these guys took a page from Obsidian with Pillars of Eternity (and hell even Fallout New Vegas) and made their "Hard" mode more than increased resistances/health pools.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Wow, yeah, this game is awesome in co-op. Me and Moridin are playing as his Soliloquy (sorry if I mispelled it, I'm awful at that) the undead fighter, and Red Prince as a cleric, while I control Gizzard, the Lizard Wizard Who Likes Casting Blizzard (note: may not actually know any ice spells yet) and Ifan as his default wayfarer.

I love how you can tap into conversations other players are having, even if you're far away.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    Bigity
    Yeah I started multi and it has the problem where I just dont want to play solo anymore cause that is just so much fun.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Also, considering facing down Griff and his guys. I'd feel bad about having to kill Butter though. She seems like a decent person among all these thugs. Also, super not sure I can actually manage it but I have fuck all idea of what else to do that doesn't seem to straight up end up with me going into the main fort and probably starting the point of no return. People talk about escaping to forest or whatever, but the only forest path I found only had the skeleton sorcerer and some elves and a dead end.

There's always a third way.
    I told Griff that Stingtail stole his drugs. After that I went to Stingtail and saved him from the assassin. He was very VERY thankful.

I mained Sebille and Stingtail is still alive.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    Kana
    edited September 2017
    With Griff i...
    made friends with Butter, refused to give up Stingtail, killed Griff and his goons with Butter helping, then i went and let Sebille murder Stingtail.
    Everyone is either happy, or dead, except Red Prince and fuck his face (metaphorically, because teeth).
    And now i have this huge orange with Drudanae inside it and nothing to do with it.

Gargoyle Maze is a fun plaze
    I'm at the end of it and i still have 6 skulls, because i never used any of them.
    Having a team with 2 people able to cast teleport (1 with the spell, 1 with teleport gloves from quest), 1 able to teleport herself with scoundrel ability, and one with a familiar they can switch places with.
    I just teleport my team through the doors and up on ledges.
    Gargoyle at the end called my cheater though. :(

Nyysjan on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Gargoyle Maze
    I did the beach cave thing before it and got Braccus Rex' amulet. I Showed it to Gargoyle to skip the maze.
    I also had everyones phylacteries, so the fight inside turned out to be bit anticlimatic. Just breaking cookie jars, one by one.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    Nyysjancptrugged
    I killed every single person inside of Fort Joy.

Except for the dogs. I gave them a ball to play with.

I left the dogs and the silent monks.
    Magisters, all dead.

I've played over 20 hours, and i have yet to leave the marshes (though i think i am close to finishing, only 2 places left with enemies).

Spawnbroker

son of a bitch
    that's how you save Emmie isn't it?

I do enjoy how the encounters reward creativity. There is an encounter in the marshes that is very difficult if you tackle it head on. But if you use Teleport spells creatively to approach the encounter from a different angle, it becomes incredibly easy.

Docshifty wrote: »

son of a bitch
    that's how you save Emmie isn't it?
    Not sure that's possible.
    Ball, or right dialogue, will let you bypass the dogs without killing them, but there's no reversing what was done to them i think.

BionicPenguinTulabelledestroyah87cptruggedKana
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I do enjoy how the encounters reward creativity. There is an encounter in the marshes that is very difficult if you tackle it head on. But if you use Teleport spells creatively to approach the encounter from a different angle, it becomes incredibly easy.

No idea what encounter you mean (and I might not be that far yet) but Teleport pulling makes most encounters a lot easier. Teleport the nearest guy to you and run away a bit, kill him and then start on his friends who are running to you one by one instead of standing behind traps and landmines or manning high towers.

Mirkel wrote: »

No idea what encounter you mean (and I might not be that far yet) but Teleport pulling makes most encounters a lot easier. Teleport the nearest guy to you and run away a bit, kill him and then start on his friends who are running to you one by one instead of standing behind traps and landmines or manning high towers.

If you don't know the encounter I mean, you may not have found it yet. It has many enemies and a ton of elemental effects on the ground all over the place.

I haven't tried teleport pulling yet, I should try that. I tend to use it to position my party in high places before engaging.

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Teleporting a dude into your party or away from mages has always been highly useful.

I didn't know I could throw a ball and get dogs to not fight me. I've never felt particularly bad about killing people but having to kill dogs makes me feel like a monster. Now I know something for my second playthrough! I hope I can do it in a four player group. Currently two player which is nice, less downtime between actions but bad because...four people with distinct personalities makes role playing games fun.

I'm also playing rogue which is a very nice change of pace. Normally I always go for fighter archetypes and brute force everything to death. I'm still smashing everything to death but it requires me to at least run behind them first. And turning it into a chicken.

butts
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I might have to start over after a few hours. It feels like I have a bad mix with an enchanter, battlemage, wayfarer, and cleric. Gonna wait until I find Sebille first but I'm getting my face kicked in most battles. Though if I could find armor that was anything close to my enemies that'd help too.

OKAY

SO

Right after I got Beast and made him a cleric, I also got some gloves that let me teleport anyone and oh my god this has helped a lot.

Also, do I eventually get resurrection as a skill? I'm clinging to life right now thanks to scrolls.

I might have to start over after a few hours. It feels like I have a bad mix with an enchanter, battlemage, wayfarer, and cleric. Gonna wait until I find Sebille first but I'm getting my face kicked in most battles. Though if I could find armor that was anything close to my enemies that'd help too.

OKAY

SO

Right after I got Beast and made him a cleric, I also got some gloves that let me teleport anyone and oh my god this has helped a lot.

Also, do I eventually get resurrection as a skill? I'm clinging to life right now thanks to scrolls.

Got the gloves at level 4, i'm still wearing them at level 7 (4k xp to 8), i don't see myself not wearing them anytime soon, having extra teleport is that usefull.
    Not only in combat, but getting around the map.

QuidBobble
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also is there a way to group stealth? I've been selecting each character and hitting C individually which is kind of annoying.