As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Currently sneaking around the fort, Killing some Magisters. Lord above, but was it hard to keep the Paladin guy alive.

I have found two separate ways of leaving
    There's a grate that goes to the marsh, and there's a kid on a small boat inside the prison. I kinda would like to be able to save more people though, but I dunno if you can. The lizard lady in the cells at the very least.

Also, dammit, I hear you can't save the dog if you gave the ball to Buddy? Mother fucker. I just gave Buddy a ball because sad dog should have a ball.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ProTip: If you're insterested in interesting plot/character beats, definitely play an Origin character.

I'm playing splitscreen with the wifey, and there is a massive difference in the amount of dialog awesomeness between her origin character (Lohse) and my generic undead elf.

Kill the Elf.Kill the Elf.Kill the Elf.Kill the Elf.Kill the Elf.

I hope the game isn't too lacking for non-origin characters.

That would really really be lame.

I'm playing a game like this to RP a certain character of my choosing. And I'm playing with a group so I imagine there won't be any origin characters with us at all..

Magic Pink
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Aretè wrote: »
    Okay that bit in marshes with the heads on the spike was just incredible, the bit where you are tormenting that one head by telling terrible joke after terrible joke had me rolling. The narrator is aces.
    I saved and 100% opened that chest afterwards too.

I discovered you could move the "bombs" so as to not be that bad. Love the outside the box thinking that's all over this game.

Why move the bombs when you can just teleport the chest? A lot faster. If you can't reach a painting teleport it down to loot it. If you are too weak to carry a reinforced crate to block a trap, teleport it. Etc.

Also you can break a maze by having two teleporters (gloves and an aerothurge), they can teleport each other and the whole party and then it's all "eh I can't figure this out, I'll just teleport past this door ... and this door .. and this door." They've taken this into account given the more difficult puzzle dungeons don't give you line of sight to the end but it's a nice crutch for some of the more tedious bits.

Iolo
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Well this has to be a bug: Black Cat
    seems to follow the character he is closest to when met. So even if Ifan has Pet Pal he seems to be majority following Red Prince for most people, which isn't surprising given he's the tank and most folks tend to lead with their tankiest characters (I know it's a habit of mine).

Really obnoxious as he does not need what the Black Cat offers. Hopefully this is patched out to be an item or something that you can give.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Drascin wrote: »
    Currently sneaking around the fort, Killing some Magisters. Lord above, but was it hard to keep the Paladin guy alive.

There's a grate that goes to the marsh, and there's a kid on a small boat inside the prison. I kinda would like to be able to save more people though, but I dunno if you can. The lizard lady in the cells at the very least.

Also, dammit, I hear you can't save the dog if you gave the ball to Buddy? Mother fucker. I just gave Buddy a ball because sad dog should have a ball.

Ball spoiler:
    I gave the ball to Buddy and was able to save the dog. just a matter of choosing the right dialogue options.

That and one other gave me feels, which speaks to the quality writing in this game.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png

Ball spoiler:
    I gave the ball to Buddy and was able to save the dog. just a matter of choosing the right dialogue options.

That and one other gave me feels, which speaks to the quality writing in this game.

Any clues?

Ball spoiler:

Any clues?

A dog in the camp is having a rough life. . .

edited September 2017
    ED! wrote: »

Ball spoiler:

Any clues?

A dog in the camp is having a rough life. . .
    If you mean Buddy, I have already talked with him, and even gave him the ball, which seems to be the entire problem. I talked to Emmie and Birdie, but it doesn't look like there's much I can do already

In other news, I killed a jerkface judge.
    The fact that you apparently can't stop him from murdering the prisoner, even if you literally teleport him out of line of sight, is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

But basicallly I pulled him to the antechamber with stealthed teleport and piled on his ass. No regrets.

EDIT: So the Pickpocket limit is per character. Therefore, I can steal a bit with two more party members by cycling the pickpocket +1 gloves I just found (gloves have a minimum strength req). Innnnnteresting.

Drascin on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Why am i not allowed to forcibly drag every sourcerer to a boat and take them to safety?
    I mean, it's not like there are any magisters left alive to complain.

I know of two more.
    There's a drawbridge at the other end of the fort you can lower, it might be possible to sneak/teleport through that, or just go kill everyone on your way out.
    You can also just walk out through the harbor part of the fort, you can either teleport to that part from the hidden cove and sneak out without having to fight anyone, or fight your way through the fort.

edit-
    And 1 more on top of that
    There's a ladder down from the room the judge is, and it is pretty easy to sneak out that way from the dungeons.

Nyysjan on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    You should definitely do everything in the fort. Some of these encounters in the marshes are not fucking around.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    Massena
    The thoughest fight, apart from the final fight before leaving the whole island, was against some random undead and a this big voidwoken.
    Mainly because of numbers (6) and positioning (everywhere around us).
    There were couple fights that, on paper, might have been thougher, but in practice that was the hardest.
    The fight against the witch would have been pretty bad, if i didn't practicly sneak up and surround her before the fight started.
    Fight took forever, but i was not at any point feeling threatened.

Nyysjan wrote: »
    Why am i not allowed to forcibly drag every sourcerer to a boat and take them to safety?
    I mean, it's not like there are any magisters left alive to complain.

I know of two more.
    There's a drawbridge at the other end of the fort you can lower, it might be possible to sneak/teleport through that, or just go kill everyone on your way out.
    You can also just walk out through the harbor part of the fort, you can either teleport to that part from the hidden cove and sneak out without having to fight anyone, or fight your way through the fort.

edit-
    And 1 more on top of that
    There's a ladder down from the room the judge is, and it is pretty easy to sneak out that way from the dungeons.

Yeah, I have seen all of those. The harbor is the only one I haven't done yet because hoo boy that fight looks like a clusterfuck. But now I'm stronker so I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow.

The primary ways of escaping Fort Joy seem multitudinous but all really boil down to one thing:
    Getting into the dungeons -
    1. Freeing Amryo
    2. Gaiwain's teleport quest
    3. Helping Yarrow find her dad (and getting her key)
    4. Withermoor exposing secret entrance to dungeons

. . .as far as I remember those are the only ways of getting to that area other than brute forcing your way through (which is definitely possible and leads to the final way of getting out of there).

The primary ways of escaping Fort Joy seem multitudinous but all really boil down to one thing:
    1. Freeing Amryo

. . .as far as I remember those are the only ways of getting to that area other than brute forcing your way through (which is definitely possible and leads to the final way of getting out of there).
    You can get into the main area of the keep using the Teleport gloves behind the sick lady in town. There is a ladder you can throw down for the rest of your team, then you can sneak through the fort to the exit.

I accidentally did this on my first playthrough and got my ass kicked in the next area because I hadn't even been to the dungeons.

Kana
    1. Freeing Amryo

You can get into the main area of the keep using the Teleport gloves behind the sick lady in town. There is a ladder you can throw down for the rest of your team, then you can sneak through the fort to the exit.

I accidentally did this on my first playthrough and got my ass kicked in the next area because I hadn't even been to the dungeons.

My guess is they want you to do as much as possible even if it is redundant so that you aren't getting murdered when you get out of town. I mean the final boss I came across was Level 5, but you can definitely get out of Fort Joy at around level 2 or 3. This also doesn't take into account how weak your characters will be in regards to their armor/defense.

. . .and I can't imagine anyone doing that on Tactician Mode. Yikes.

Yeah I was initially confused as to what kind of game this was. I didn't realize it was so directly in the vein of Baldur's Gate, an explore-everything collect-a-thon where you're in a constant arms race against the increasingly overpowered enemies.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Apparently dead companions block motherfucking everything

1D106A5473EAFD70E5924EF99FDFD8237BB59522

destroyah87Iolo
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Apparently dead companions block motherfucking everything

*img snip*

No one can see what lies beyond Death.

steam_sig.png
    sgt robTheStigchrono_traveller
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I got to the first town
    I went through the town and to the beach
    Tried fighting a crocodile
    Turns out there were three crocodiles
    Then it turned out the crocodiles were wizards, cause they could do all kinds of magic
    Barely beat them, but had to use two resurrection scrolls afterwards

Then I found some guy eating corpses
    I attacked, because that seemed like very shady behavior
    Killed him without anyone dying, yay

I have no idea what I'm doing

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    32 hours in and I haven't finished act 1 yet

Larian please, I have a family!

m!ttensICUbIolo
  • ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    This game is so disgustingly good. And it's beefy, and I want to replay it over and over with new skill combos. I'll deffo crowdfund #3.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
    Pretty sure I'm nearing the end of Act I (about 20 hours with some dithering about) and I'm thinking of switching to Beast for my front line tank. Game is going out of it's way to encourage you to explore all your options and as reliable as The Prince has been, their base crowd control isn't so great (will definitely be rerolling him as Fighter/Polymorph once respeccing opens up).

Also I hate how both Ifan and Sebille both seem suited for Rogue-work but they make Ifan a straight up Ranger which doesn't seem very stealthy to me for his line of work. Will probably reroll Sebille as the Huntress and make Ifan a Rogue/Necro combo.

Currently I'm rolling myself as a starting Fighter (recently picked a couple points in Polymorph because with how everyone spams slow floors, having a bullrush that says "nah, I charge you" seemed important), Beast as his battlemage self, Ifan as marksman/summoner, and Lohse as The Party Wizard, primarily aerotheurge with a some pyro and hydro. Start was rough but I seem to be doing okay now.

My party setup is working really well for now. Sebille as Rogue/Necro, Ifan as Summoner/Huntsman, Beast as Warfare/Polymorph, and Lohse as Aero/Hydro. Ifan and Sebille are my main damage dealers, and Beast/Lohse focus on healing and lockdown.

It works fantastic on Classic, though if I ever decide to try Tactician I think I would go for a full Physical damage party. A lot of the time, Lohse feels unnecessary in this setup.

Oh god, the Skeletal Cat, the poor, poor Skeletal Cat.
    do the devs hate cats or something?

But on another note, having escaped the island i learn that
    Alexander lives.
    Not sure how, i kept his corpse on fire for quite some time, and resurrected it as a bloated corpse, which i then had blow up.
    But, ok, fine, Alexander survives that.
    So i went and killed him again, hope it sticks this time.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Yeah I changed my mind fuck taking Pet Pal

it is just a parade of sadness every time you use it

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    I got to the first town
    I went through the town and to the beach
    Tried fighting a crocodile
    Turns out there were three crocodiles
    Then it turned out the crocodiles were wizards, cause they could do all kinds of magic
    Barely beat them, but had to use two resurrection scrolls afterwards

My goodness, please please please head into town and talk to some people first. You may already have dead-ended, literally, two good quests.

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Turambar wrote: »

Wow sounds like someone is disgustingly racist towards elves.

Jookie on
    butts
    In hindsight, i am happy i did not forcibly drag people from Fort Joy onto the ship.

edited September 2017
    Just found an Epic Shield with about 50/50 armour +2 Const, and quite a bit of water and poison resist. Let's party. So close to that triple armour on all my characters.
    Fairchild wrote: »
    My goodness, please please please head into town and talk to some people first. You may already have dead-ended, literally, two good quests.

Not possible with those two:
    One of the Croc's has the glove regardless and if you lie about the Gheist being dead you can still get Yarrow's key. Or just kill her.

My guess is it is VERY difficult to deadend a lot of the starting area quests if possible at all (they will all have a conclusion one way or another).

ED! on
    So, dumb question about the collar and source and stuff.
    I had Nebora remove my collar, because it wasn't like I wasn't going to declare war on the magisters after finding out about the whole "turn people into worse-than-zombies" thing, and am no longer Source-muted,
    but... how do you actually regain source points? At all? Cause the only thing removing the colla seems to do is make it harder to sneak attack magisters.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    So, dumb question about the collar and source and stuff.
    I had Nebora remove my collar, because it wasn't like I wasn't going to declare war on the magisters after finding out about the whole "turn people into worse-than-zombies" thing, and am no longer Source-muted,
    but... how do you actually regain source points? At all? Cause the only thing removing the colla seems to do is make it harder to sneak attack magisters.

It comes up a little after that section. It's not hidden, you'll know when you're there.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I got my shit absolutely handed to me in the Arena, where you only get one shot. Is that supposed to happen? Should I level more?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    I got my shit absolutely handed to me in the Arena, where you only get one shot. Is that supposed to happen? Should I level more?

I wouldn't go in there at less than Level 3, with some good crowd control abilities and Heals. Having either Rain or Blood Rain is mandatory, I think.

Fairchild on
    Tube wrote: »

It's a tough fight. I handled it by retreating to the right behind where your party spawns. The dog will rush in and the archer will teleport to the landing across from you, splitting them up from the tank and healer. That gives you enough time to try to burst one of them down, and then the fight becomes easier. You can also use the Teleport gloves to get the archer down from there and in melee range after he jumps.

It's pretty tough, maybe wait until 3 and get better gear before doing it.

destroyah87
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    On Tactician, our party seemed weak at first but now at level 8 we've definitely come into a rhythm. You need to manipulate everything in your favor on Tactician. One bad decision can be a wipe. I like it.

I'm a little annoyed at just how much environment prep I needed to do for the Flenser fight. Yes, I know it's the Boss fight to end the Escape From Fort Joy chapter, but Holy Cow if I need to spend 30 minutes stacking boxes and hauling barrels around before I pull the Boss, that's a problem.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm right at the beginning of Fort Joy and I'm hoping the game doesn't hold out on me for too much longer regarding new skills etc. Any party comp tips? I'm an undead conjurer guy

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I'm a little annoyed at just how much environment prep I needed to do for the Flenser fight. Yes, I know it's the Boss fight to end the Escape From Fort Joy chapter, but Holy Cow if I need to spend 30 minutes stacking boxes and hauling barrels around before I pull the Boss, that's a problem.
    I have a question about that fight and a tactic I used.
    I stole the meat golem key off of him and they all had to break out of their cages in about five or six turns I think. Does he let them out if he has the key or do they still have to break out?

butts
    I'm only playing on Classic, but he was pretty manageable for me. Long fight though.

MirkelBobble