As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FarCry for the Wii...

KatoKato Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Sorry if this has been brought up. I tried some searching and I guess it's not working? I mean...I ran a search on just "wii" and it didn't give me any results, yet there is obviouosly several posts with Wii in it...

In any case. How did this game turn out? I don't like to trust gaming review sites, but the screens for it look decent at the least I would say. How did it really turn out? Mind you, I've never played any of the FarCry stuff. I had the demo on my pc, but it didn't run it very well so I didn't really play it much.

For 20 bucks...is it worth the buy? I still want to play a good FPS game on the Wii and have not done so. In fact, I haven't even played Red Steel or COD3 yet. Money is a bitch.

Signature??
Kato on

• iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't played it but read a whole heap about it as I was very keen to play it.

At least I was until I read about it.

The general jist seems to be:
    Poor N64 graphics - enemy models are not much better than goldeneye.
    Poor AI - shoot guy in head, fellow 3 foot from him just ignores it - I know this is common in FPS but not in other versions of Far Cry - team AI was what it was all about.

So for me they are 2 big reasons why I stayed away

Of course YMMV.

iMatt on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can anyone give a descent explanation why the graphics on this game are so bad?
    From what I read they only got the controls "somewhat" down.

Given the information and reviews, i'd put that money in a jar and wait untill a good FPS comes out for the Wii.
    A wait that could last as long as Metroid Prime 3, I'm afraid.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, I've got a small question:

Did Farcry get such bad scores because it was an inferior version of a game that reviewers already played? Which is to say, is it really that much worse than CoD/Red Steel?

Anyone have personal experience with all three?

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The graphics are terrible. You can see grass being drawn 5 feet in front of you as you move.

They've also change the fundamental feel of the game. You no longer hide behind trees, but instead walk down long paths.

The game does give a goldeneye look, with blurry textures and overly bright colors (yellow walkway, with green grass).

That said, the game isn't too bad. If you accept what it is - a doom/goldeneye clone with wii controls, it's fun as hell. Just don't expect farcry.

TheSonicRetard on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Joril wrote: »

Given the information and reviews, i'd put that money in a jar and wait untill a good FPS comes out for the Wii.

Seriously ... whenever I look at the screenshots, they look like they're on par with the X-Box version, and I had always assumed that this was just a port of that.

Was it just that people were expecting something more?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Seriously ... whenever I look at the screenshots, they look like they're on par with the X-Box version, and I had always assumed that this was just a port of that.

I have both the wii version and the xbox version. They are not similar in the least.

It seems they cheery picked the best screenshots for the Wii. Trust me, the pop up in the game is attrocious. Looks like a 1995 PSX game in terms of the world popping up before your eyes.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023893.jpg

D:D:D:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Lets be clear: the Wii version is an unholy abomination and we pity those who own it. Including, by technicality, TSR. Poor poor TSR.

But Gamerankings would be the best place to uncover its horrors at your own leisure.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited April 2007
    Hahah, I gotta watch some videos of this game.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007

I have both the wii version and the xbox version. They are not similar in the least.

It seems they cheery picked the best screenshots for the Wii. Trust me, the pop up in the game is attrocious. Looks like a 1995 PSX game in terms of the world popping up before your eyes.

Okay.... I'm seeing it in the videos. Man, that's the few games I've ever seen that actually looks worse in motion.

I wonder what went wrong ... according to IGN they were both developed by Ubisoft Montreal.

EDIT: huh, apparently they canceled a version of Far Cry Instincts for the PS2. Looking at how much Vengeance isn't pushing the Wii, I'd be willing to bet that its engine is ported from the PS2 version.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Interesting. It certainly didn't look great from the screens and all. Sounds kind of disappointing. I'll just save the money and get something else. Like Super Paper Mario. That game looks fricking amazingly fun :)

Kato on
    Signature??
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Okay.... I'm seeing it in the videos. Man, that's the few games I've ever seen that actually looks worse in motion.

I wonder what went wrong ... according to IGN they were both developed by Ubisoft Montreal.

And see how many Wii games Ubisoft made for the Wii "launch window"? They must not have spent that much time on all those Wii ports I would say.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited April 2007
    I just watched a few videos then.

Wow.

Wow.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    EDIT: huh, apparently they canceled a version of Far Cry Instincts for the PS2. Looking at how much Vengeance isn't pushing the Wii, I'd be willing to bet that its engine is ported from the PS2 version.

Bingo (they were going to put Far Cry on the Gamecube also, though the game runs so poorly that I doubt this was taken from a Gamecube build). I had the same theory regarding the "Wii" version of Blazing Angels. Another Ubisoft abortion. What a horrible company.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited April 2007
    Kato wrote: »
    Interesting. It certainly didn't look great from the screens and all. Sounds kind of disappointing. I'll just save the money and get something else. Like Super Paper Mario. That game looks fricking amazingly fun :)

I bought Super Paper Mario, and saw Farcry Wii for $20.

in all honesty, the game isn't too bad. It's very simplistic, and looks like trash. But, dammit, something about the wii controls makes it a blast. And it's pretty action packed, too.

Me and my friend were playing the other day, and we were swamped by 20 men. So we made a mad dash to this jeep, and he hops in the driver seat while I hop in the turret position and we strife the enemies, blowing them away. When suddenly, 3 more jeeps appear and we barrel down a path to a beach. There, we engage in some twisted-metal-esq car fighting, with us emerging victorious.

It was glorious, even if it did look like Mario 64 with all the AI of Doom.

TheSonicRetard on
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've rented it and played it for a little before trading it in during the 2 for 1 deal at Gamestop, and I'd say don't buy it for the single player. If you're going to be playing it alone, go for CoD3, MoH, or Red Steel (in that order I'd say). The AI is practically non-existant, level design is boring and slow paced, and it's just overall an ugly game.

The only saving grace is it's controls, which are actually pretty tight and responsive compared to other Wii FPS'. Because of this, multiplayer is actually a blast. For $20 I can highly recommend it if you have friends/siblings who are up for playing it.

I didn't know there was a co-op mode, which is what it sounds like you were describing TSR? If that's so, I think I might just have to go out there and buy it a third time (two trade in's).

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ive seen screens and it looks like 15 year old graphics. terrible looking game I am happy I couldnt find a wii now as the 3rd party games seemed more rushed than regular rushed levels even.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023893.jpg

D:D:D:

What the hell? It looks like Turok for N64... What the hell?

I... Words cannot express my confusion.

-SPI- on
    edited April 2007
    thats actually one of the better looking pics ive seen of the game.most of the ones Ive seen look like Castle Wolfenstein

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's $20 at Wal-Mart now.

DarkPrimus on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For reference, guys...

goldeneye.jpg

Goldeneye looks like this. ^ Farcry looks more like a crappy Gamecube FPS than anything else.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Looks like Bond regrets buying Far Cry on the Wii.

Renzo on
    edited April 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

lmao you win the internet for the day.

that pic just made me want to play Goldeneye.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

lmao you win the internet for the day.

that pic just made me want to play Goldeneye.

Burtletoy on
    edited April 2007
    And to think, I just bought Goldeneye last month ... Maybe I'll run through the first few levels again for nostalgia's sake.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg