As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Shadow people wouldn't show up on video since they don't exist in our plane of reality.

Erm. How do people "see" them then? (Assuming that's part of the lore and not just a roundabout way of saying they're hallucinations/tricks of the mind.)

They're made-up stories, you can say you saw whatever you want if you're making it up

i saw grey ghost the other day stealing all the cupcakes from a poor old woman

then he flew off all by his own self

also he had a lizard tail

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    There's a podcast called Rabbits. Not sure if anyone listens to it but like two episodes ago they also discussed that Bernstein/berenstain bears thing and that was a recent conversation topic either here or in the podcast thread and all these things converging is weird

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Shadow people wouldn't show up on video since they don't exist in our plane of reality.

Erm. How do people "see" them then? (Assuming that's part of the lore and not just a roundabout way of saying they're hallucinations/tricks of the mind.)

They're made-up stories, you can say you saw whatever you want if you're making it up

That's impossible, Grey Ghost lost all his skin years ago in a tragic lamp accident.

... then who was it?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hold the fuck
    Is one of you a cast member on the creepypasta Podcast
    Because I just got a notification that there was an episode about that exact goatman story

baader-meinghof effect

I just watched the QI episode about that

It's Baader-Meinhof all the way down.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I am aware they're not real :razz:

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

That's impossible, Grey Ghost lost all his skin years ago in a tragic lamp accident.

... then who was it?

a shadow-lizard-alien-slender-person

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

The premise is that you're seeing something that's normally invisible to the human eye but during the transition from your sleeping mind to bring awake your perception pierces the veil. They can see you, you can see them, and it gets their attention .

Now in reality it's probably just your brain filling in blanks as you regain consciousness and your eyes adjust. Still, I have no time for people who can't even take the time to understand a paranormal phenomenon and then try to capitalize on it. This stuff is interesting and deserves a minimum level of effort and creativity.

I had a message come through to my Ghostbusters group last year where a mom and her kid were seeing shadow people over the mom's bed at night. This sort of thing happens occasionally where people think we can get rid of "real" ghosts. It's usually a very delicate sort of situation since you often are dealing with someone who is terrified and dealing with a stressful mental situation. Thankfully between my knowledge of the psychological of these sorts of visions and the lore surrounding them I was able to convince the mom there was absolutely no way they could harm her and they would likely go away on their own if she could identify what might be causing the "psychic turmoil" and relieve it.

It helps that I used to see them as a kid and an overall improvement in my natural mental state plus reading about other cases caused them to disappear forever.

TankHammer on
  • Options

The premise is that you're seeing something that's normally invisible to the human eye but during the transition from your sleeping mind to bring awake your perception pierces the veil. They can see you, you can see them, and it gets their attention .

Now in reality it's probably just your brain filling in blanks as you regain consciousness and your eyes adjust. Still, I have no time for people who can't even take the time to understand a paranormal phenomenon and then try to capitalize on it. This stuff is interesting and deserves a minimum level of effort and creativity.

I had a message come through to my Ghostbusters group last year where a mom and her kid were seeing shadow people over the mom's bed at night. This sort of thing happens occasionally where people think we can get rid of "real" ghosts. It's usually a very delicate sort of situation since you often are dealing with someone who is terrified and dealing with a stressful mental situation. Thankfully between my knowledge of the psychological of these sorts of visions and the lore surrounding them I was able to convince the mom there was absolutely no way they could harm her and they would likely go away on their own if she could identify what might be causing the "psychic turmoil" and relieve it.

It helps that I used to see them as a kid and an overall improvement in my natural mental state plus reading about other cases caused them to disappear forever.

Holy shit, you're literally a ghostbuster.

Fuck yes.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

I mean, technically not. They're things that people really experience, not something that they make up whole cloth.

I have an anxiety disorder that occasionally causes brief, panic driven halucinations. I've seen shadow people for going on almost a decade now. Which is why John Dies At The End hit me so hard.

People with sleep paralysis experience them in more detail, for minutes at a time and usually in more animated action.

Like, the lore and stuff around them is usually pretty well made up, some is based on experiences, but it's not a phenomena that's made up.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    My bf constantly sees shadow people when he wakes up. full figures too and they're always terrifying; it's pretty rare that he doesn't wake up screaming. the newest one looks like a naked, emaciated old man that squats on top of his dresser with a huge smile and long teeth. he says he has shiny coins for eyes.

nomrally they're just dark figures in corners or on the other side of doorways that slowly walk away when he notices them. there was an angry old woman for a while as well.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    There's a podcast called Rabbits. Not sure if anyone listens to it but like two episodes ago they also discussed that Bernstein/berenstain bears thing and that was a recent conversation topic either here or in the podcast thread and all these things converging is weird

How's that compared to Tanis? I love Tanis to pieces but haven't had a chance to check out Rabbits.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hold the fuck
    Is one of you a cast member on the creepypasta Podcast
    Because I just got a notification that there was an episode about that exact goatman story

baader-meinghof effect

I just watched the QI episode about that

It's Baader-Meinhof all the way down.

It's also the Internet spreading spooky memes around - the Internet has allowed for a whole lot faster spread of previously-regional stuff, or things you could only read about in a 100-page collection sold in the back of comic books, than used to happen.
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I mean, technically not. They're things that people really experience, not something that they make up whole cloth.

I have an anxiety disorder that occasionally causes brief, panic driven halucinations. I've seen shadow people for going on almost a decade now. Which is why John Dies At The End hit me so hard.

People with sleep paralysis experience them in more detail, for minutes at a time and usually in more animated action.

Like, the more and stuff around them is usually pretty well made up, some is based on experiences, but it's not a phenomena that's made up.

I never made it to full-on people, but I have a habit of seeing indistinct bug-looking things crawling around when I haven't been sleeping enough or am particularly anxious; the brain tries to recognize patterns that aren't there in some fairly predictable ways, and there's a lot of acculturation driving that kind of thing as well.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Like, the more and stuff around them is usually pretty well made up, some is based on experiences, but it's not a phenomena that's made up.

I was being overly snarky about the supernatural side of the shadow people phenomenon and I do apologize to anyone who experiences similar images as a result of sleep paralysis, paranoia, or other psychological or internal conditions

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My bf constantly sees shadow people when he wakes up. full figures too and they're always terrifying; it's pretty rare that he doesn't wake up screaming. the newest one looks like a naked, emaciated old man that squats on top of his dresser with a huge smile and long teeth. he says he has shiny coins for eyes.

nomrally they're just dark figures in corners or on the other side of doorways that slowly walk away when he notices them. there was an angry old woman for a while as well.

Holy shit. I'd wake up screaming, too.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Seriously. I don't think I'd be able to remain a functional member of society if I saw long-toothed, emaciated old men crouching on dressers each time I woke up.

I mean, I'd like to think that the human mind's ability to become inured to just about anything would eventually just turn the situation into "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHoh, good morning Herb. How's the succubus and grublings?", but I'm pretty sure that I would lose the entirety of my shit long before that.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    IvanIssacs wrote: »

How's that compared to Tanis? I love Tanis to pieces but haven't had a chance to check out Rabbits.

I like it! It goes into crazy territory on occasion but I'll the main character and the ways she's tied to stuff

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

I like it! It goes into crazy territory on occasion but I'll the main character and the ways she's tied to stuff

All the podcasts in that network [black tapes / Tanis / Rabbits] keep using something over and over that is starting to trigger me. Tanis and Rabbits most notably. Every little detail revealed is usually followed by someone else going "Thats....interesting" over and over. Its one of those patterns that once I notice it...I can't get it out of my head.

But other than that I like em. They make good background noise while I work. Just wish Black Tapes would start up again. Archive 81 is winding down and Darkest Night probably only has a few more episodes left in this season.

...I need more creepy/weird podcasts that go year round. But Welcome to Nightvale and No Sleep are the only year rounds I know. Hopefully Alice isn't Dead season 2 goes on a little longer as well.

• Options
    the ACTING in Black Tapes started grating on me so I kinda let it drop

also I just couldn't get with the premise of Tanis
    "Tanis isn't a place, it's... more of a concept"
    What? No, it's a place. it's in Egypt. you can like, go there. what are you doing

for some reason I just turned off whatever else they were saying because that bothered me so much

• Options
    Alice isn't dead is real cool and grabbed me in a way welcome to nightvale hasn't in ages

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Alice isn't dead is real cool and grabbed me in a way welcome to nightvale hasn't in ages

The highway American folklore mixed with constant, vague paranoid undercurrents angle is a direct hit on a cross section of my interests. The fact that by design the story keeps moving from place to place also keeps it from falling too comfortably into the setting the way Nightvale has.

It's a great show.
    Campy wrote: »
    Holy shit, you're literally a ghostbuster.

Fuck yes.

Our motto is "We are ready to believe you!"
    Sometimes we're the first place people go to for help because we're not going to call them crazy.

I had a blast a couple years ago staying up all night researching this low-rez flip phone video of a flaming orb twirling around a patch of trees once. I knew the phenomenon as 'faerie fire' or a will-o-tha-wisp but I had no idea that the scientific explanation was literally swamp gas. I dug up some better quality YouTube videos and sent them to the 'client' and he was all "well shit, that's exactly what I saw." It had been freaking that guy out for close to a decade by that point. I felt very accomplished.

When I can't talk someone down I'll turn them over to one of my co-leaders who is more of a believer in that stuff and he'll put them in touch with some local paranormal researchers that will do the burning sage and stuff to put people at ease.

I don't really care about whether we provide real piece of mind or an effective placebo so long as it helps.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I mean, it's not like you're making claims of being a doctor or anything so I'd say you're doing a Real Good thing, Tank

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, it's not like you're making claims of being a doctor or anything so I'd say you're doing a Real Good thing, Tank

https://youtu.be/M89l7pX5gzc

• Options
    No one trusts scientists so that's fine

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I was attacked by a shadow person during a power outage caused by a thunderstorm

sleep paralysis and growling are not a fun thing to wake up to in pitch dark

luckily it was a one time thing

Xehalus on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

"Ghostbusting is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any possession. These claims have not been evaluated by the FDA, and they really pissed off one particular employee of the EPA."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

If my coworker doesn't show up to work tomorrow, I'll know why.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So, spooky thread. I've been on a Spooky podcast kick. I've been listening to Night Vale - which isn't really spooky, but was my introduction to fiction podcasts. I also recently started listening Alice Isn't Dead and that got me to branch out once I was current.

I tore through Limetown and am currently listening to - and hugely enjoying - the Black Tapes (still on season 1 at the moment).

I need more. More spooky podcasts. The scarier the better. Recommendations?

• Options
    So, spooky thread. I've been on a Spooky podcast kick. I've been listening to Night Vale - which isn't really spooky, but was my introduction to fiction podcasts. I also recently started listening Alice Isn't Dead and that got me to branch out once I was current.

I tore through Limetown and am currently listening to - and hugely enjoying - the Black Tapes (still on season 1 at the moment).

Rabbits
    Alice isn't dead
    Tanis
    No sleep podcast
    King falls am
    Creepy
    The cleansed
    We are alive

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'm going to go ahead and recommend not listening to the NoSleep podcast. I tried to power through a few episodes, and it was just not worth it.

Some of the good stories were buried in some really gross depictions of basically ultra-sadistic slasher style fair. After the story, The Last Party, I called it quits.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I'm going to go ahead and recommend not listening to the NoSleep podcast. I tried to power through a few episodes, and it was just not worth it.

Some of the good stories were buried in some really gross depictions of basically ultra-sadistic slasher style fair. After the story, The Last Party, I called it quits.

You can definitely tell that NoSleep sources a lot of its stuff from a Reddit. On the one hand, it gives you a glimpse into the common fears of Reddit users. On the other, you get a ton of hack edgelord garbage with the occasional hidden gem.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Pretty sure the nosleep podcast literally curates its stories from /r/NoSleep

Which has some gems hidden in the rough, certainly

But holy gosh there is a lot of rough, and it can be really really rough simply due to the nature of most Reddit users

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I read through the NoSleep sub-reddit every now and then sorting by upvotes. There hasn't been that much edgelording from what I've seen* and the good stuff has been really good. The forest ranger stuff I particularly liked.

*Disclaimer, I may or may not be a total edgelord.

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular

Rabbits
    Alice isn't dead
    Tanis
    No sleep podcast
    King falls am
    Creepy
    The cleansed
    We are alive

I have listened to all of these except Creepy. What's that one about?

Also, Black Tapes comes back for it's final season in August. NoSleep Podcast had this dope story about a library monster that the librarians take care of and all of drama that comes with it. Forget which season/ep it was.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I tried an episode of NoSleep and they did about a 20-30 minutes of ads & self promotion for their other podcast before even starting a story, and by that point I was holding a grudge against them.

Watched The Invitation on Netflix this weekend. Thought it was aggressively 'meh'. Felt like they spent 2/3rds of the run time trying to convince the viewer that it wasn't a horror movie. There was a nice little twist at the end, but the idea should have stayed as a short story or short film rather than feature length. But I guess there's no money in short films.

• Options

Rabbits
    Alice isn't dead
    Tanis
    No sleep podcast
    King falls am
    Creepy
    The cleansed
    We are alive

I have listened to all of these except Creepy. What's that one about?

Also, Black Tapes comes back for it's final season in August. NoSleep Podcast had this dope story about a library monster that the librarians take care of and all of drama that comes with it. Forget which season/ep it was.

I think creepy is like nosleep in that it is just individual episodic stories. I haven't listened to it much yet. Going back through the counter/weight season of friends at the table. Again.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular

Rabbits
    Alice isn't dead
    Tanis
    No sleep podcast
    King falls am
    Creepy
    The cleansed
    We are alive

Thanks for this.

Based on very cursory research for basic premise (to avoid spoilers), I'm noting Kings Falls, Tanis and Rabbits (as I already listen to Alice) to slide into my list once I finish catching up with Black Tapes

• Options
    King falls is sometimes spooky sometimes funny. The format is similar to welcome.to.night Vale where it is a community radio show in a weird ass town. I tend to like it more than wtnv

Hope you enjoy!

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    My girlfriend has to wake up early for work. This usually means that I wake up for a few minutes while she gets ready. Before she leaves she typically comes back into the room and says goodbye.

So, the other morning, she comes in to say goodbye but seems a little off, like her words are out of order. Whatever, it's early, I think I'm just out of it. She walks up to my side of the bed and grabs my hand. Then she starts pulling on it, really really hard. I try to tell her it hurts but I can't. Can't move, can't speak, can't blink. She says, "It's time to go. You have to go. We're all going, you have to go." Then light or steam or something starts coming off of her and she's really yanking on my arm and I can hear a whole bunch of voices echoing as she speaks. It is at this point I realize that my actual girlfriend is still asleep next to me. I still can't move but I really want to scream. Then her alarm goes off and the room comes into sharper focus. Not-girlfriend had disappeared. My arm was very sore.

Sleep paralysis sucks.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Sounds like you missed your chance to be Raptured.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, do you know why your arm was sore? Did it cramp up during the episode? (If this is an insensitive question I apologize and you don't have to answer, obviously)