Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Apparently that shot in the intro of the ambulance exploding is the single most expensive thing in the show, and... they never used it.

Also, very hard to pick a best moment, but Sanchez having to put down his gun is way up there.

They used it in every episode though

In the intro

The Broccoli was Aids

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Watched Hatchet for the first time last night! That movie is bananas.

Yeah, it gets pretty rough after the plane crash, but I really think the kid is stronger for having survived in the wilderness that long.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Watched Hatchet for the first time last night! That movie is bananas.

Yeah, it gets pretty rough after the plane crash, but I really think the kid is stronger for having survived in the wilderness that long.

Shame about his face.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching Cube, which was rad, and then it turns out that my husband had never seen The Woman In Black, which is a flawed movie but one that I enjoy mightily, and he did as well!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guys I don't know how good it is, but I wrote a short story and posted it here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/220666/to-buy-a-pet

The attempt was to write a short piece of horror fiction, but only ya'll can tell me if I succeeded or not.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching Cube, which was rad, and then it turns out that my husband had never seen The Woman In Black, which is a flawed movie but one that I enjoy mightily, and he did as well!

I love HyperCube because it has the guy from Forever Knight and the enemy is math.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Huh. I can watch both of those on Netflix. /added to watchlist

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cyriak made a new animation:

https://youtu.be/NQD-N6gkCzQ

• Options
    Hypercube is, like many horror movies I enjoy, flawed in several major ways but gives you just enough that the flaws don't really matter all that much.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Guys I don't know how good it is, but I wrote a short story and posted it here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/220666/to-buy-a-pet

The attempt was to write a short piece of horror fiction, but only ya'll can tell me if I succeeded or not.
    I think it works better as satire than as horror, tbh. It's pretty obvious from the get-go where it's going.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

I think it works better as satire than as horror, tbh. It's pretty obvious from the get-go where it's going.

Heh, ok.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Story thoughts for @Cambiata
    I think there's some interesting ideas to mine there, you just have to go a bit deeper. Try different tones, different character POVs. Perhaps a wholesome family outing (including mom and little sister) to pick Josh's first pet. Examine the society beyond this specific trip more closely, as leaving a girl on the side of the road would be too dangerous if she could meet up with others of her kind, communicate with them, and start forming a society (not that it doesn't necessarily happen anyway). Ear cropping, tail docking, spaying and neutering, eugenics... there's a lot we do to our pets without even starting into the even more horrible shit you could do to ensure a human being stays dependent on you.

• Options
    Story thoughts for Cambiata
    I think there's some interesting ideas to mine there, you just have to go a bit deeper. Try different tones, different character POVs. Perhaps a wholesome family outing (including mom and little sister) to pick Josh's first pet. Examine the society beyond this specific trip more closely, as leaving a girl on the side of the road would be too dangerous if she could meet up with others of her kind, communicate with them, and start forming a society (not that it doesn't necessarily happen anyway). Ear cropping, tail docking, spaying and neutering, eugenics... there's a lot we do to our pets without even starting into the even more horrible shit you could do to ensure a human being stays dependent on you.

It's fascinating to read a couple of different takes on this, so that you @Calica and @Kristmas Kthulhu for taking the time not only to read it but to write something up in response.

I deliberately left details out because I was hoping the actual nature of the situation would be at least partially hidden until the full breadth of it comes out in the final paragraph. Because of the reactions it seems that I simultaneously left in too much information and yet not enough at the same time.
    For example, if a "normal family" was out getting someone's first pet, there would be no "mother" or "sister" in the group, there would only be a Lovey or Peach where a mother otherwise would be. I need to think about if there's a way for me to write that in without it being an instantly that the Mom isn't right. For example, no one would call her Mom, just as Josh referred to his Mom as "Lovey." Maybe it could be something like how we sometimes refer to our pets with cute non-names, like how my husband and I often call one of our cats "cuddlebug" instead of his real name. Hmm, that could really work actually, because everyone calling the mom "cuddlebug" makes the situation seem sickly sweet at the start instead of the real viciousness underneath.

The dad leaving his wife on the side of the road is also a thing I have two minds about. Her being able to find an undergound network does potentially cut down on the horror of the situation, but in my mind the idea was that the only possible people who could pick her up are men who cannot afford "pets", and they will not use her kindly. I felt like explaining that would be putting in too much information, but now I see it's pretty vital to understanding what's happening. It probably wouldn't be too much to put in a line about celibate men who couldn't afford pets, though.

For the record, the story was inspired by this incel post and I'll have to admit to not being anywhere near as good at constructing horror scenarios as they are.

I will think on this!

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Well, now I'm nauseous.
    @Cambiata maybe a content warning?

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Well, now I'm nauseous.
    Cambiata maybe a content warning?

Content warning on which part? The incel link?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Nah, your story. Mentioning incels is enough of a warning for that, bleuh

• Options
    Man. I don't want to trigger anyone but at the same time I feel like putting a warning on it is guaranteed to make it look like I thought I was a better writer than I actually am (given that at least one reader takes the story as comedy instead of horror.) What kind of warning would you suggest? Just the words "content warning" or something more specific?

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Thoughts on the story @Cambiata
    I got the impression that the young boy is being groomed for something specific. Maybe just to be a monster to live in that setting, but either way the story made me curious what's the expectation for the kid and what are the consequences if he fails to grow up "properly". What does that society do with men that don't play ball.

I also didn't assume that Lovey was his mom. Like she could have been the 2nd or 3rd woman in his life.

Pretty early in the story I got a "Handmaid's Tale, but more!" vibe, but that just might be because that show is big in the zeitgeist right now

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

I'm a part time house/dogsitter. It is currently pretty late at night.

I've sat the house before, but they didn't leave out instructions on taking out the trash. I saw a few bins and kinda had the thought that today was the night to put it out. I had a few drinks, and wanted to make sure the trash was out before I was. I get to the curb and hear the weirdest ass bark. It sounded like a 60 pound chihuahua. No one is walking their dog this time of night, and the noise didn't sound like a usual dog or coyote. It was a very strange threatening bark, with no clear sign of a dog.

Needless to say, the dog isn't going out tonight. I'd rather clean the piss than deal with an attack.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

I'm a part time house/dogsitter. It is currently pretty late at night.

I've sat the house before, but they didn't leave out instructions on taking out the trash. I saw a few bins and kinda had the thought that today was the night to put it out. I had a few drinks, and wanted to make sure the trash was out before I was. I get to the curb and hear the weirdest ass bark. It sounded like a 60 pound chihuahua. No one is walking their dog this time of night, and the noise didn't sound like a usual dog or coyote. It was a very strange threatening bark, with no clear sign of a dog.

Needless to say, the dog isn't going out tonight. I'd rather clean the piss than deal with an attack.

That sounds like a Cougar they have distressingly odd cries.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    No one is walking their dog this time of night

I have a young baby so I'm often up with him at all hours and our living room overlooks a dogpark

And I can confirm that people are indeed walking their dogs at that time of night. All times.

I've seen someone walking 5 dogs at once at 4 in the morning.
    I've seen someone play fetch in the pitch dark at 3am

people are weird, man.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No one is walking their dog this time of night

I have a young baby so I'm often up with him at all hours and our living room overlooks a dogpark

And I can confirm that people are indeed walking their dogs at that time of night. All times.

I've seen someone walking 5 dogs at once at 4 in the morning.
    I've seen someone play fetch in the pitch dark at 3am

people are weird, man.

Probably shiftworkers.

• Options
    Just wanna let y'all know I survived. Definitely aware that people could be walking their dogs, as i was at the time. I just didn't see anyone around.

The only trouble I had tonight was a skunk as I drove in. The dog needed to be walked so I threw on the brightest lights around the house and played a podcast from my phone. Skunk kept away.

The only previous (animal) problem at this house was a hawk chilling in the area. It's a strange thing to think about how a dog (she's small) needs to pee while contemplating if one can fight a bird.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've walked my dog at all hours of the night before. Always make sure to take him out before I go to sleep myself so that he doesn't have to wake me up.

I'll go out in an undershirt, slippers, and pajama pants any time between 10:30pm and 4am if I have to.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Foxes have a weird call too.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    What do they say?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    What do they say?

Mu.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    True story time:

I went out to dinner with my parents last night. When the waiter came to take my order, I ordered the lamb shin bolognese, and my mum said, “I’ll have what he’s having.”

Quick as a flash, the waiter replied deadpan, “Then what will he eat?”

It might be an old waiter staple joke, but it was the first time I had heard it and it really tickled me

Edit: fuck, this isn’t the bad joke thread

Umm... and it turned out the waiter was dead the whole time?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    nothin spookier than dadjokes

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    But sir, you've always been here.

• Options
    And then the spookiest music of all: old jazz.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The spookiest music of all is definitely Werewolf Bar Mitzvah by Childish Gambino as performed by Tracy Jordan being played by Donald Glover.

• Options
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Better yet, if one or both of those reflections had a vague image of someone sitting on them.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Imagine that, but painted like a hotel carpet with a 6 foot ceiling.

Psychedelic nightmare poop closet powers engage!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    that toilet is 100% unusable.

There's a NSFW illustration in the twitter replies suggesting how one might use that toilet.

Also here's another one.

Cambiata on
  • Options
  • Options
    I've used some roadside rest stop toilets (LOOKIN AT YOU SPECIFICALLY NEVADA) where I was, no joke, about 90 percent certain I was going to be literally killed.

Some of Montana's are horrifying too. Wyoming tends to have excellent rest stops. Bad weather, difficult driving conditions, long stretches of actual nothing except rugged country and just a whole bunch of monsters I'm serious the lonely places out in the Rocky mountain region are thick with boogins of assorted varieties.

Ahem. Yeah, high quality rest areas actually improve highway safety in several important ways, especially if they have truck access.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Everyone should work a job where you have to clean toilets at some point in there life.

The angles at play can be horrifying when you think of what the hell went down. Strange situations also play out. For the sake of everyone's stomachs, one highlight I will mention is a sink being clogged with some sort of soup. I've abandoned the idea that people should not carry their outside drinks into a retail restroom, but WHY DID YOU BRING SOUP? Why did you abandon it?

Sir Platypus on