As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I regret to inform you that what you saw was a ghost cosplayer.

I don't mean someone who's cosplaying as a ghost, I mean a ghost who's cosplaying. That ghost didn't die in the olden days, they're a historical reenactor that died like five years ago.

It could have been. We've had several of those. The main part was that they were self illuminated and also went through a wall/door padlocked from the outside.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Someone just invited David Blaine to your party.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I regret to inform you that what you saw was a ghost cosplayer.

I don't mean someone who's cosplaying as a ghost, I mean a ghost who's cosplaying. That ghost didn't die in the olden days, they're a historical reenactor that died like five years ago.

It could have been. We've had several of those. The main part was that they were self illuminated and also went through a wall/door padlocked from the outside.
    Right, that's completely consistent with what I said: a ghost who likes dressing up.

Also, if my thesis is correct and this is indeed the ghost of someone who died in recent times, they would also have access to ghosts of flashlights, which would explain how they can be self-illuminated.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I am somewhat torn in my "belief". I fucking love spooky and creepy shit. Like, irrationally enjoy it. When I lived in Pennsylvania, I used to drag my brother around to all the supposedly haunted places, checking them out (there were a shit ton around the Allentown/Eastern PA area). However, despite having a couple very, very weird paranormal experiences (I'll detail those in a moment), I don't actually believe in ghosts.

Unfortunately, my earlier escapades feel like they helped bolster my brothers beliefs to an almost unhealthy level. So I feel very bad about this at times.

My two stories are both from my time working at Dorney Park. The first is far, far more interesting than the second, and I am pissed at myself to this day that I don't still have the pictures from it.

I got to be an area manager of the food services, which unfortunately, meant showing up at 6 am to pass out time sheets, unlock the stands, set up carts, do any last minute stock transfers, etc. One of the stands seemed to have a recurring issue with losing their time sheets, stock order forms. It was, in fact, the place where I had first gotten a "managers" spot, mostly because it was a low traffic gig, but was responsible for stocking and staffing 4 of the surrounding carts, which meant multi tasking and lugging around a lot of stock. So they stuck the older (college job, versus mostly high school employees) in shape guy there.

The place was a fucking dump, built into the basement of an old building. There was an arcade above, and further back into the bowels of the building, was the remains of an old tracked ride. This part was locked off, and the only time I got to see it was when the park GM swung by to show it off to some friends as a lark and let me tag along. Supposedly the building was actually the house of the park founder back when he lived on premise. Overall, pretty gloomy, and often referred to as the dungeon, and fairly creepy (super low ceilings, at 5'7 I could easily palm them). But the strange thing was when I was the stand supervisor, about one in ten days I would show up, something would be missing paperwork wise. Now, the year I was there, I did not have a high amount of respect for the area supervisors at the time. And since two of the three were fired and me getting one of their positions, I guess I was justified. It seemed like every morning I came in, I was always missing some sort of paper work (sign in sheets, finances, etc)

I complained about it a few times, but they always just blew me off with "Oh it's just John [Dorney]", implying his ghost was stealing the paperwork. But I always just chalked up the missing paperwork to them being bad at their jobs, not caring, forgetting to drop it off, etc. Cut to the next season, where I'm now the area manager, showing up to set up things and run the show. Go through all the paper work, drop everything off, etc, etc. Not 45 fucking minutes into my very first shift as the opening manager, I get a call from that stand saying there is no order sheet.

I know I dropped that shit off, I had even marked down a couple notes on it. Like, 100% double and triple checked it, because god dammit, I was going to be better than that. Go over there, pulled out every fridge, checked under all the tables, oven, in every fucking garbage can (hadn't actually opened yet, so they were empty). Nada. Nothing. Just wasn't there. So fine, go to the office, print out a new one. Same shit every once in a while. Sheets would just be gone.

About mid to late August, we were having an unusually slow summer, and the park season was winding down, so we had a lot of time for cleaning and re-organization. Over the years, said stand had become the proverbial dumping ground for random equipment, utensils, bins, etc. Had something extra in a stand you didn't know what to do with? Send it to the dungeon, and add it to the mess of shit. Well, now I actually had power and authority to change that, so a week where we expected torrential rain every day and would be super slow, we ripped the guts out of the three storage areas and did a top to bottom re-organization and cleaning of everything stored there. I grabbed a few workers from other stands, and we busted it out in about 4 days. On Day 3, someone found the food bin.

We had a half dozen stacks of those full size Volrath metal food bins that you see on salad bars, or on the line at Chipolte. A couple bins into one of the stacks, there was a pile of various order forms, time sheets and such. From seven years prior. The next one had six years prior. Then five, then four. By the time we hit the last one, I knew exactly what I was going to find. And sure enough, there was every goddamned form I had dropped off and had to reprint, including several that I had notes with my goddamned handwriting on them.

Honestly, the creepiest and most unsettling experience in my entire fucking life. One of the girls working was literally in tears she was so freaked out.
    Now, after some sleuthing, I think I found an explanation, but could never get a confession and a couple of the instances possibly didn't QUITE match up.
    The head food manager had been brought in from Cedar Point roughly around the time the sheets started "vanishing." So I heavily suspect her, or someone else aiding her in the plot as a way to mess with people. Nothing else went missing in the next week and a half, but that didn't actually mean much one way or the other. When I brought it up to her and showed her the photos, she appeared dismissive of the whole thing, but she was literally dismissive of basically anything and everything anyway, so that wasn't really a surprise or a shock (she was not a great boss, and her days off were the smoothest days by far). But I suspect her, or a combination of her and another of the managers. I don't think she could have done them all herself, given a portion happened on her days off.

The number one thing that makes me think it was human done and not supernatural is this though - the bins were stored upside down to prevent dust, dirt, rat droppings, etc from sitting in them and accumulating over time. So the descending order which seemed really spooky at the time (most recent on the bottom) actually would have been closest to the top, and the easiest to access. Which I feel like a ghost wouldn't give a shit about at all. Some were also fairly beat up, creased and folded, which implied they weren't placed in smoothly, and probably got pinned when the bins got flipped.

Either way, if it was a prank, it was a frankly impressive one in duration, timing and implementation.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i watched Hereditary last night and quite frankly i loved it. i can understand why the audience was so divided on it, but it was the exact sort of constant state of dread that i enjoy. i think i'd have to see it again to fully understand it, so maybe it leaned too heavily on the family drama at times, but it added a dynamic to it that made it a bit more unique. performances were great. i think Alex Wolff who plays the son was a standout. hard to believe he's the same actor who played the high school version of the kid who turns into The Rock in the recent Jumanji.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Oooh, I've been excited to watch it and doing my usual of keeping away from reviews/write-ups etc. But I fucking love me some constant state of dread. Something that is all too frequently lacking in today's horror films.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The real scariest thing is sleep paralysis. I've read stories about it and it sounds goddamn horrifying.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The real scariest thing is sleep paralysis. I've read stories about it and it sounds goddamn horrifying.

It is. It really fucking is.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It's not fun!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Sleep paralysis feels like fighting your way back from being dead.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hey. The spooky thread is back. Oh happy day.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    But... it's always been here! And so have you... *spooky jazz music*

• Options
    Maybe the real spooky thread was the friends we made along the way...

...who were all mysteriously murdered in that abandoned sugar factory...

...do you remember your friends? They were so alive back then...

...I do.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    ihGnpuD.jpg

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That has to be my favorite creepy pasta. All the video game ones are kinda lame, but that one had such a great arc with memorable characters. It wasn't scary, but man it was a ride.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Hey. The spooky thread is back. Oh happy day.

.... the spooky thread died 16 years ago

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    THEN WHO WAS THREAD?!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    What ever happened to that guy who found the shed in the woods? It was in one of the earlier spooky threads.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    That has to be my favorite creepy pasta. All the video game ones are kinda lame, but that one had such a great arc with memorable characters. It wasn't scary, but man it was a ride.

That. Ben Drowned. And Russian Sleep Experiments will always be my favorite pastas

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    What ever happened to that guy who found the shed in the woods? It was in one of the earlier spooky threads.

That thread died 60 years ago

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    ihGnpuD.jpg

What creepypasta is this?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    NES godzilla

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular

Somebody made a thread asking about it in H/A. After some digging, someone found the pictures:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/213713/anyone-have-pictures-of-the-shed/p1
    It may not live up to expectations.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    NES godzilla

I actually found and watched/listened to the whole story on Youtube which I found just by searching "Still the Best 1973." It's a pretty good video game story until it gets dumb at the end. Writer had some pretty good instincts vis a vis what would be creepy in a video game, for the most part.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's not even that creepy of a shed!

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    With its lovely TERRIFYING lavender door? It's basically a nightmare.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

At the time it was all we had. There were no Slendermans or Mitch McConnells

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Thats how its been in past creepy threads. The mythology/nostalgia has been built up so much around it that the actual pictures cant compete and it literally is just a shed in the woods.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

wait what is extra creepy about Mitch McConnell

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    his contempt for human life

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

wait what is extra creepy about Mitch McConnell

He's a fucking kappa.

River spirits should never be elected to prominent political office.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Whoa. Still could be staged though.
    https://youtu.be/_FAmQYbyT7w

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Show me a person-shaped cold spot walking across the thermal image, and you might have something. That just looks like they filmed someone crossing the hallway with the doors open.

• Options
    We live in an age of cgi beyond the uncanny valley and machine learning based video footage of real people doing things that never happened. Fuck ghosts, that's the real spookiness.

• Options
    I'm also in the thinking of even if ghosts were real, as in the wayward souls of the living, well, so what stupid ghost, you're dead. My soul isn't. Oooh you moved a door. Look at me I'm alive I can move doors and windows and pick things up and make noises fuck off ghost.
    Actually pulled that one in my teens when we lived in a "haunted" house.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Show me a person-shaped cold spot walking across the thermal image, and you might have something. That just looks like they filmed someone crossing the hallway with the doors open.

(all their stuff is fake, all of it)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'm also in the thinking of even if ghosts were real, as in the wayward souls of the living, well, so what stupid ghost, you're dead. My soul isn't. Oooh you moved a door. Look at me I'm alive I can move doors and windows and pick things up and make noises fuck off ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr-wOQSUWQk

• Options

Yeah. They say that ghosts are usually cold.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »

...did it work?

• Options

Yeah. They say that ghosts are usually cold.

More to the point, living people aren't.

I mean. At least put some effort into your fakery :razz: