As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Google Black Knight satellite

#pipe on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Welp, I guess I'm never investigating abandoned churches again...

WSSWc7V.jpg

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

I've somehow never heard of this but it's hilarious

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I've somehow never heard of this but it's hilarious

It's a lovely example of pareidolia and how "that looks like something!" can lead to vast, sprawling narratives.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Ah, OK, that narrows it down quite a bit from just "Black Knight". Thank you!

I was sitting there, looking at my chessboard, trying to understand how these two pieces were blankets.

alt shitpost:

I was sitting there, looking at my production still of John Cleese in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", trying to understand how this character was a blanket.

alt shitpost:

I was sitting there, looking at this drawing of Dane Whitman, trying to understand how this character was a blanket.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I still can't believe people see anything other than space garbage when they look at the Black Knight object. It looks like trash, even with the lack of a sense of real scale in the photo it looks far too small and thin to be anything but some kind of bent up sheeting or thermal blanket.

It's so far removed from the stuff in the videos referenced last page where at least there's an amount of hard data provided by the airplanes' tracking systems and soft data in the reactions of the pilots. From the very beginning everyone involved with the Black Knight photo was like "yeah that's garbage."

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I still can't believe people see anything other than space garbage when they look at the Black Knight object. It looks like trash, even with the lack of a sense of real scale in the photo it looks far too small and thin to be anything but some kind of bent up sheeting or thermal blanket.

It's so far removed from the stuff in the videos referenced last page where at least there's an amount of hard data provided by the airplanes' tracking systems and soft data in the reactions of the pilots. From the very beginning everyone involved with the Black Knight photo was like "yeah that's garbage."

https://youtu.be/v3k5t_JXHSQ

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Don't give him your money no matter how much he laughs and demands you do.

No no, that's the ferryman. Hell, don't even fix a price, until he gets you to the other side.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Don't give him your money no matter how much he laughs and demands you do.

No no, that's the ferryman. Hell, don't even fix a price, until he gets you to the other side.

https://youtu.be/pzYdUOmxnC4

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I had a dream last night where I went into a room and found a box, and after bloodying my fingers prying it open, I, while making a Tina Belcher extended groan, discovered it was full of marionette puppets of me and my loved ones and friends

and then the door closed behind me, and it startled me so much I woke up

who, what holds the strings?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I always found the game Tecmo Knight to be disturbing.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Joe Rogan's podcast recently had an interview with Dan Aykroyd. It has all kinds of ghost, UFO, and bigfoot stuff.

I guess Tobin's Spirit Guide is made up.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Can you believe this stuff?
    In this day and age, when people mod games, all they do is add unrealistic bikini armor. I mean, the nerve! Who takes a perfectly normal game, such as Resident Evil, and add bikini armor?!

Or the clown from IT. Not sure what's really scarier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBN4AplinOk

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Joe Rogan's podcast recently had an interview with Dan Aykroyd. It has all kinds of ghost, UFO, and bigfoot stuff.

Dan Akroyd is so beyond the pale nowadays that his character in Ghostbusters would be like "This dude is fucking loon"

#pipe on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    In this day and age, when people mod games, all they do is add unrealistic bikini armor. I mean, the nerve! Who takes a perfectly normal game, such as Resident Evil, and add bikini armor?!

Or the clown from IT. Not sure what's really scarier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBN4AplinOk

... It looked right at the camera. Right at the end. It looked at me. That's not cool. That's the opposite of cool.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

I am VERY happy for bikini armor mods, Leon looks smexy as hell

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

Dan Akroyd is so beyond the pale nowadays that his character in Ghostbusters would be like "This dude is fucking loon"

Old uncle Danny might love his conspiracy theories and aliens and ghosts that have sex with you but Dr. Ray Stantz is too much of a sweetheart to call him a loon.

I kinda wish I had gone to his paranormal talk at Fan Fest but the schedule for that thing was so compressed and I really wanted to see the Real Ghostbusters Retrospective instead. I kinda worried it was gonna dive from quirky and interesting to sad about 2 minutes in.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My new battery arrived for my Proton Pack. Hopefully it will alleviate my issues. I need to figure out how I attached the old one so I can replicate that with this one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Good News Everybody!

I temporarily attached the new battery and was able to crank the volume all the way up without it cutting out! Now to remember how I attached the old batter to the Spengler plate that allows for external charging and master power toggle. I know I have to cut open the battery and remove its own switch and graft wires from it to the Spengler plate.

Also I think the sounds themselves are clearer, which was the whole point of this upgrade to begin with.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Good News Everybody!

I temporarily attached the new battery and was able to crank the volume all the way up without it cutting out! Now to remember how I attached the old batter to the Spengler plate that allows for external charging and master power toggle. I know I have to cut open the battery and remove its own switch and graft wires from it to the Spengler plate.

Also I think the sounds themselves are clearer, which was the whole point of this upgrade to begin with.

Awesome! I'm going to finally work on mine and try to get the lights and loose sound wires fixed this season too. I guess wait for after my friend's wedding though.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Good News Everybody!

Awesome! I'm going to finally work on mine and try to get the lights and loose sound wires fixed this season too. I guess wait for after my friend's wedding though.

I did it! It was very easy. Just open up the top of the battery and snip off the switch/charging cords from the two main pos/neg lines and then directly solder those two lines to my existing pos/neg lines and done! I did have mount the battery inside the shell in a different location due to it being longer than the old one.

Also this sound card has the sound effects on a separate sd card so tomorrow I'm going to pick up a sd card reader and look to see if I can switch some stuff around. I really like the video game neutrino beam firing sound over the movie one but the movie's stop firing power down sound is far superior what with that good whine noise.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Okay. Final update for now. I think I got everything done. Found a card reader and mixed some sounds around. Ended up using a different firing noise from somewhere else that has a better cool down whine and switch the shut down effect. I am much happier with it.

Only thing I'm not sure on is whether is new battery is actually charging? Before cutting it open the instructions said to turn on the switch on the battery then plug it in and the LED on the charger will change to orange until charged. Well I cut out that switch and it is wired into a different switch on the pack that should do the same thing, but the LED on the charger stays green. I fully charged it before performing the surgery so maybe it is just full. I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe leave it running for a while then plugging it in.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    In other Ghostbusters news, did you know that Dr. Ray Stantz has a sister who is openly bisexual and polyamorous?

https://youtu.be/0A5Riwr4jzY

I've gotten to like this channel, as I'm kinda used to clickbait videos these days but these go over only established information from official sources with minimal extrapolation.

TankHammer on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I will watch that. We are almost in October, spooky time.

I should check out paranormal stuff in St. Louis. You got the Lemp Mansion.

Edit: It seems like the St. Louis Paranormal Society is more of a business. It is all about charging for tours with them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    putting out a reminder that Left/Right Game is the best nosleep story ever. it's long but earns such length as opposed to a bunch of nosleep stories that turn into multiple parts despite not needing them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/7asz8x/has_anyone_heard_of_the_leftright_game_part_1/

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Binging that Bedtime Stories channel and it's good! Subtle narration, good artwork, etc.

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I stayed at the lemp mansion once. It was one of the less creepy hotels I've stayed at

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    In other Ghostbusters news, did you know that Dr. Ray Stantz has a sister who is openly bisexual and polyamorous?

Of course he does, it's a fetish for the straight white male fans. Now find a gay guy or trans male in the lore.

• Options
    It really hurts the credibility of paranormal stuff when they charge money.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What you think you cant take that shit with you beyond the veil of death? WRONG, get buried with money, whip Charon in the face with a wad of 50s take that you bony old fuck

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    toss a wad of bills on the skull floor, make him crawl around for it.

also I had a dream that I entered a like, cubicle office area full of... zombies? except no dice on headshots and they wanted us to "come with them".

one of them walked up holding his zombie toddler who was holding a severed head and all three of them were repeating "come with us, it's nice there, you'll like it." and I hyperventilated myself awake and was like

"okay that's enough sleep for now, I guess"

• Options
    Rough dream.

• Options
    That's just how office work is.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/gHZFuHqZyus

What's spookier than an old abandoned building? How about an old abandoned building used for Nazi occult experiments inhabited with spirits that drove men MAD

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Of course he does, it's a fetish for the straight white male fans. Now find a gay guy or trans male in the lore.

I'll get back to you after the new movie. I was more surprised by a non-sexualized off-screen character written into the lore back in '84. Of course, she was certainly meant to be the progressive counter-punchline to his hardline-conservative, NRA-loving, alcoholic brother.

I might comb through the comics again to see if there's any clearly-stated mlm content. I would probably have remembered any trans-inclusion. Definitely nothing that comes to mind yet.
    It really hurts the credibility of paranormal stuff when they charge money.

Fissionable material, food, clothing, and housing isn't free. The films take place in the height of 1980s capitalism and have an umbrella of fantasy-libertarianism over them just as thick. For what it's worth, they only fleece the big businesses like the hotel at the beginning. They adjust their prices to reflect their customer's ability to pay (you even see Ray receive a Peking duck from a China Town restaurant) and there's no story in which anyone is turned down for their inability to pay. They do quite a bit of pro-bono work in the cartoon as well.

The video game, which was written in the mid 2000s and takes place in the early 1990s, has them transitioned into more of a contracted city utility which probably reflects Aykroyd and Ramis's shifted political ideologies since the 1980s. They're paid directly by the city and no-longer have to charge individual clients in cases regarding public safety.

• Options
    Hey man, even ghost hunters gotta buy gas.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Spooky Thread,

what is the scariest ghost?

I'll take my answer off the air.

• Options
    Bottom-of-the-pool ghost!