As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I was trying to convince my husband to watch Candyman but Tony Todd and Candyman in particular are apparently a source of Primal Childhood Scaries so I guess I'ma wait til he goes to sleep. I wonder if it holds up I haven't seen it in probably like 15 years or so

I saw candyman when I was like 7 with a neighborhood friend who was a couple years older

that movie fucked me up

The one starring Worf's brother?

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I was trying to convince my husband to watch Candyman but Tony Todd and Candyman in particular are apparently a source of Primal Childhood Scaries so I guess I'ma wait til he goes to sleep. I wonder if it holds up I haven't seen it in probably like 15 years or so

I saw candyman when I was like 7 with a neighborhood friend who was a couple years older

that movie fucked me up
    I watched it as an adult and thought it was silly.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

that movie fucked me up

The one starring Worf's brother?

The guy from final destination

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    In Japanese folklore, not only the dead are able to manifest their reikon for a haunting. Living creatures possessed by extraordinary jealousy or rage can release their spirit as an ikiryō (生き霊), a living ghost that can enact its will while still alive.

Japan's ghost situation is crazy. Already thought Onryō are OP, but this is too much.

Oh brilliant
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

that movie fucked me up
    I watched it as an adult and thought it was silly.

yeah well candyman thinks you're ridiculous

In Japanese folklore, not only the dead are able to manifest their reikon for a haunting. Living creatures possessed by extraordinary jealousy or rage can release their spirit as an ikiryō (生き霊), a living ghost that can enact its will while still alive.

Japan's ghost situation is crazy. Already thought Onryō are OP, but this is too much.

yeah you go anywhere near a japan ghost and you and everyone who's ever walked near you is dead

they do not fuck around

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    sometimes japanese ghosts are just a rake you left out in the rain or something though

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yokai run the gamut from "goofy humanoid that wants to surprise or embarass you" to "This is an unknowable shape that mutilates children for next-to-no reason". Best to just trap 'em all and let Egon sort 'em out.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    sometimes japanese ghosts are just a rake you left out in the rain or something though

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasa-obake
    autumn_army___karakasa_obake_by_xatchett.jpg

edited October 2019

those are the worst ones!

haunted rakes cause a full 45% of the deaths in japan

Magic Pink on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

There's a yokai that kills you if you cut your toenails at night

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yokai always just seem like the annoyances of your grandparents mixed with a bit of stranger danger.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Yokai always just seem like the annoyances of your grandparents mixed with a bit of stranger danger.

Like most myths they're just a way to warn people of obvious dangers in a pre industrial age.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Also bad habits. In the west they say of you masturbate too much you'll go blind

Whereas in Japan if you masturbate too much a walking lamp post will boil your skin and then decapitate your grandma

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I always lean towards "mysterious wilderness pervert" when it comes to livestock mutilation which in my opinion is no less alarming than a chupacabra I mean you ask me if I want to encounter a mysterious wilderness pervert or a chupacabra alone at night Im goin with the latter every time

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I always lean towards "mysterious wilderness pervert" when it comes to livestock mutilation which in my opinion is no less alarming than a chupacabra I mean you ask me if I want to encounter a mysterious wilderness pervert or a chupacabra alone at night Im goin with the latter every time
    I feel like the line between the two is so thin it might as well not exist.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I was really surprised by Candyman when I got around to seeing it, I had always thought it was a low-rent slasher like the Leprechaun films or something and it turned out to be pretty damned effective meaningful horror.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Ghost Hunters show is back. On A&E.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

The thing that gets me about them is when they happen in clusters. Like one farmer will lose a bunch of cows in a short amount of time, or a bunch of farmers will all lose cows around the same time. And no signs of any large predators.

I feel like the most likely explanation is that a human or humans do the actual killing, probably randomly for no reason just to be dicks, and then scavengers do the 'mutilation'.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    no it's aliens and/or Chupacabrii okay

we've been over this

edited October 2019
    I wonder how accurately the facts are being reported. One of the things that always amazes me on many episodes of Skeptoid is the guy'll be like "OK, let's see if what was actually being reported at the time the weird event allegedly happened matches what is being reported by people writing decades later", and it's always, always this kind of scenario:

Actual eye-witness: It was dark and I think I saw a bear, pretty common this time of year.

Contemporary reporter: A bear was seen on the outskirts of the town.

Fringe writer trying to sell a book a decade later: The town was known for frequent bear sightings that could not be explained by science.

A dozen different writers all referencing the previous writer: Yeah yeah, all that, but they were ghost bears.

Enthusiast websites, History-channel show narrators, etc., 50 years later: LOOK, MULTIPLE INDEPENDENT AND VERIFIED REPORTS OF DEMON ALIEN GHOSTS WANDERING THE STREETS AND SNAPPING MEN'S SPINES IN HALF EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Delduwath on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The Ghost Hunters show is back. On A&E.

GHOST BROS!

My favorite theory about cattle mutilations (seen on like Discover Channel/TLC/History Channel/something like that maybe 15 years ago) is: All the cattle mutilations are being done in areas where the U.S. used to do (and maybe is still doing?!?!?!?!!) nuclear bomb testing, so it's actually the government (using silent-flying black helicopters and precision laser scalpels) snatching cattle that graze in the areas, cutting out the soft tissues of the body because that's where radioactive particles settle most easily, and testing them to see if there's still radioactive fallout in the area.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I wonder how accurately the facts are being reported. .

They aren’t

Hey has anyone said the word "chupacabro" yet? Just an all-American cryptid that loves beer bongs and is always ready for some brewskies.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Hey has anyone said the word "chupacabro" yet? Just an all-American cryptid that loves beer bongs and is always ready for some brewskies.

No no no, that's the Chadpacabra. Chupacabro is the one that is always by the free weights.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the chupacabra is one of my favourite cryptids because it's like

it's an animal that LOVES goat blood

but HATES goat meat

the pickiest fucking eater in the world

liEt3nH.png
    I mean do you know how many calories are in goat meat?

You don't get to be a svelte, spiny skeletoid by eating meat all the time.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I mean do you know how many calories are in goat meat?

You don't get to be a svelte, spiny skeletoid by eating meat all the time.

Yes I do

Found the chupacabra.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Chupacandelabra

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Chipotle Capybara

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Chipotle Capybara

That sounds like a totally wholesome Saturday morning cartoon.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Key and Peele bit about the pegasus was great.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Key and Peele's halloween episodes are a joy

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Someone apparently tracked down the first person to report a chupacabra sighting and they based their description on the alien from Species

Sorta like the Loch Ness monster was based on a scene from King Kong

Also cattle mutilations are the work of scavengers, mammals and birds

But alien scavengers, tho.

I was curious to see what The Literature is on the chupacabra, so followed a link off of Wikipedia to a '98 About.com article that discusses it. This section struck me:
    the creature allegedly broke into the bedroom of the house through a window, tore apart a child's stuffed Teddy bear, and left a puddle of slime and a single piece of rancid meat on the windowsill before disappearing.
    So... it's a cat. It's behaving like a cat.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Spooky thread! My niece was in a commercial and it's my first time ever seeing her professionally filmed as an actress!

And it fits the thread because it's a riff on the Exorcist. She's the one being possessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRSHTk6w_s

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind