As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

17374757678

Posts

  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Sword Name: Claíomh
    Zilla360
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

    DisruptedCapitalistCambiata
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

    MatevMidnite
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 16

    Jordan wrote:
    This the greatest Halloween decoration I’ve ever seen….

    Owenashi on
    Cambiatamrpakuvalhalla130AlexandierArmorocCampySatanic JesusHeadCreepsVisskarAndy JoeAzraithnever dieMidnite
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I have a policy against posting about dreams but I had a dream last night and an image from it is seared into my brain and I can't stop thinking about it.
    So this is extremely lame but in the dream I was reading these forums, and people were talking about how relentless fungal growth can be, and someone linked a video. And suddenly the video became the new perspective of the dream.

    So I'm on a RHIB boat on some kind of coastguard Seal Team type operation, and we're approaching a container ship. I know that the ship went missing some time ago and nobody has heard from any crew or gotten transmissions from the transponder, until the ship was spotted by another boat waaaaaay off course.

    So my team is being dispatched to investigate. From a distance the ship looks normal, but as we approach we start to see that it is NOT NORMAL. The hull is fuzzy, and parts of it are distended and pulsating. We see white chimney like growths coming out the tops of the containers. We are trying the ship on short range radio with no response, and hail the ship with a bullhorn. The white chimneys retract at the sound and we see puffs of spores.

    One of the boats approaches to board and instead of being solid steel, the hull flexes and sags when weight is put on it. The first boat pulls back, and someone is ordered to fire on the hull to see what happens.

    A burst of rifle fire pierces the hull and the steel starts to tear upwards like wet paper. The structural integrity lost, the whole ship slowly tears in half and spores explode into the air as a truly unbelievable volume of fungi is exposed from inside the ship and the containers, every single cubic inch filled with wildly colorful and varied growths.

    The dream changed then, as they tend to do, but I feel like I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

    CalicaDoctor DetroitJohnny ChopsockymrpakuDisruptedCapitalistTankHammervalhalla130CambiataProlegomenaGrey GhostKristmas Kthulhunever die
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I have no policy about posting dreams, and this is stuck in my head; plus it's fairly spooky
    a woman is trapped in a black void. her tormentor is holding the only source of light: some sort of orb. The tormentor refers to it as a bell. As it moves and sounds, a faded copy of the woman is either drawn forward (with a white aura) or a pushed back (with a red aura).

    Cambiata
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited October 20
    #pipe wrote: »
    I have a policy against posting about dreams but I had a dream last night and an image from it is seared into my brain and I can't stop thinking about it.
    So this is extremely lame but in the dream I was reading these forums, and people were talking about how relentless fungal growth can be, and someone linked a video. And suddenly the video became the new perspective of the dream.

    So I'm on a RHIB boat on some kind of coastguard Seal Team type operation, and we're approaching a container ship. I know that the ship went missing some time ago and nobody has heard from any crew or gotten transmissions from the transponder, until the ship was spotted by another boat waaaaaay off course.

    So my team is being dispatched to investigate. From a distance the ship looks normal, but as we approach we start to see that it is NOT NORMAL. The hull is fuzzy, and parts of it are distended and pulsating. We see white chimney like growths coming out the tops of the containers. We are trying the ship on short range radio with no response, and hail the ship with a bullhorn. The white chimneys retract at the sound and we see puffs of spores.

    One of the boats approaches to board and instead of being solid steel, the hull flexes and sags when weight is put on it. The first boat pulls back, and someone is ordered to fire on the hull to see what happens.

    A burst of rifle fire pierces the hull and the steel starts to tear upwards like wet paper. The structural integrity lost, the whole ship slowly tears in half and spores explode into the air as a truly unbelievable volume of fungi is exposed from inside the ship and the containers, every single cubic inch filled with wildly colorful and varied growths.

    The dream changed then, as they tend to do, but I feel like I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

    I think I read a William Hope Hodgson story like this

    Prolegomena on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Speaking of spooky dreams, last night I got to a point in a dream where I was just walking my dog, and we went into like a bodega to get her some food, clerk points me to a shelf over by a doorway to a little sideroom, walk over, the back wall of the sideroom vanishes and is replaced by an infinitely black void and some force just yanks me into it and I see the light of the shop fading into the distance as I'm just being pulled further and further, next thing my girlfriend is shaking me awake because I was just screaming.

    YQsHaUD.png
    CambiataL Ron HowardArmorocnever die
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    You have to watch out for those bodega voids.

    HeadCreepsL Ron HowardWeaverCambiataJohnny ChopsockyDepressperadoAlexandierJedocTankHammermrpakuArmorocnever diedurandal4532Metzger Meister
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Bodega Void is the name of my Black Sabbath cover band.

  • JedocJedoc Justice. Mercy. Duty. That sort of thing.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    You have to watch out for those bodega voids.

    exi8qtcbbo7a.png

    BOO

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    JayKaosCalicavalhalla130Kristmas KthulhuDark Raven XArmorocRhesus PositiveNarbusnever dieAndy JoeHeadCreepsMidnite
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    You can avoid getting pulled into the bodega void by picking up something small from the shelf first. An Arizona iced tea works well, or an individually wrapped ice cream bar from the freezer bin. The entity can only watch you until after you've paid for your selection, but by then you're too close to the door to catch. To break this rule would break the agreement between the void and the shopkeeper and then it's back to living in the back by the dumpster again.

    CambiataAuralynxMatevCampymrpakuArmorocRhesus Positivenever die
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    It definitely felt like something ripped a hole into my dream and took me. Like it wasn't part of the bodega, that's just where I happened to be. It felt foreign and invasive. A feeling that it wasn't part of my dream, it was something from elsewhere.

    Used to have occurrences like this way more often about fifteen years ago, rarely ever happens now.

    YQsHaUD.png
    Depressperado
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    It definitely felt like something ripped a hole into my dream and took me. Like it wasn't part of the bodega, that's just where I happened to be. It felt foreign and invasive. A feeling that it wasn't part of my dream, it was something from elsewhere.

    Used to have occurrences like this way more often about fifteen years ago, rarely ever happens now.

    did you have any particularly persistent imaginary friends when you were little? lost time?

  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    it might be a demon or alien is what I am getting at

  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    it might be a demon or alien is what I am getting at

    ..past life experience intruding on present time?

    DepressperadoWeaver
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    it might be a demon or alien is what I am getting at

    ..past life experience intruding on present time?

    Could be race memory stored in the collective unconscious. I wouldn't rule out clairvoyance or telepathic contact either.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    WeaverTankHammerMatevvalhalla130
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    To be clear, I know it's just my dumb brain doing dumb brain things.

    YQsHaUD.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    it might be a demon or alien is what I am getting at

    ..past life experience intruding on present time?

    Could be race memory stored in the collective unconscious. I wouldn't rule out clairvoyance or telepathic contact either.

    What about a tulpa?

    ... did we get a Bingo yet?

    kshu0oba7xnr.png

  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    To be clear, I know it's just my dumb brain doing dumb brain things.

    In all seriousness, brains are mean sometimes and I'm sorry it put you through that. Really turned it up to 10 where a 4 would have been sufficient. That fatty mass of wrinkled matter owes you.

    Matevvalhalla130Auralynx
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The mind can be a pain.

    mrpaku
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I went on a ghost tour through the historic part of my town last night. Quite fun! I didn't see any ghosts (because they aren't real) but heard some good stories and it was a nice night to walk around and take photos

    After it was done and everyone left I doubled back to the cemetery and wandered around alone for a while but no dice. I'd loved to be proved wrong about ghosts but I guess that wasn't the night for it

    Kristmas KthulhuArmorocL Ron HowardCambiataTankHammernever diemrpakuCurly_BraceMidnite
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I went on a ghost tour through the historic part of my town last night. Quite fun! I didn't see any ghosts (because they aren't real) but heard some good stories and it was a nice night to walk around and take photos

    After it was done and everyone left I doubled back to the cemetery and wandered around alone for a while but no dice. I'd loved to be proved wrong about ghosts but I guess that wasn't the night for it

    Did you try looking in a mirror?

    My partner and I did an historic walking tour of Oakland cemetery two weeks ago which was very cool. It's a gorgeous place with beautiful crypts and mausoleums like something out of a movie. We ended up walking around from around 11:15pm-12:30am while actors dressed as some of the historic residents of the burial grounds told their stories.

    It was quite nice and not terribly spooky.

    Last night I went to Netherworld haunted house, which is one of the top haunts in the country, and THAT place is very high-octane scares, even if I'm wandering around more wide-eyed at the craftsmanship and engineering of the place.

    DepressperadoMatevcrzyango
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I had a dream last night that I was crossing a desert, constantly stumbling and falling, except it wasn't sand, it was ashes.

    an ill omen, I'm sure.

  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I had a dream last night that I was crossing a desert, constantly stumbling and falling, except it wasn't sand, it was ashes.

    an ill omen, I'm sure.

    Seen The Beyond recently?

    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that I was crossing a desert, constantly stumbling and falling, except it wasn't sand, it was ashes.

    an ill omen, I'm sure.

    Seen The Beyond recently?

    the 80s horror movie?

    I've had it recommended to me, but I've never watched it.

    ditto Fulci's other works

  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that I was crossing a desert, constantly stumbling and falling, except it wasn't sand, it was ashes.

    an ill omen, I'm sure.

    Seen The Beyond recently?

    the 80s horror movie?

    I've had it recommended to me, but I've never watched it.

    ditto Fulci's other works

    It has a particular vision of Hell, a white ash waste littered with human shaped ash piles. It was meant to depict a “hell for atheists”

    04xkcuvaav19.png
    Depressperado
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

    DepressperadoCambiataL Ron HowardNothingHappy Little Machine
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I'm hopefully taking my 3 year old trick or treating on Sunday and there's a low energy Halloween lunch thing at my office tomorrow so I went to Spirit Halloween on my way home today to try to find a cheap mask I could augment with stuff in my wardrobe

    Man people make fun of their business model, but the shelves in that place we're fucking bare. Sold out of pretty much everything.

    Depressperado
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular


    and then

    BLM - ACAB
    Matevdurandal4532Depressperado
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

    Azraith
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Dybbuk.jpg
    'Dybbuk', by Ephraim Moshe Lilien (1874–1925)

    DepressperadoMidniteArmoroc
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Saw this pumpkin in a patch.

    88blx9q14zq6.jpeg

    Calicavalhalla130Armoroc
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

    Johnny ChopsockyCambiataMatevNarbusDisruptedCapitalistDark Raven XCurly_BraceGreen
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

    CambiataJohnny ChopsockyRhesus Positive
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

    TankHammer
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

    They are going into the digital age. So expect some pixelated creepiness.

    valhalla130
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I guess Kris Straub saw so many people doing analog horror so he went digital.

Sign In or Register to comment.