As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Speaking the way a human would speak and knowing that it is connected to a machine that would kill a human being if they were inside it when it was turned on are two wildly different things to accomplish

This is exactly how the microwave wants you to think.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Probably the spoopiest backrooms since the first one.
    https://youtu.be/0XwlWXtpaCM

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    YouTube is flooding my feed with a ton of crappy knockoffs

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    You know what sets Kane Pixels apart from his copycats? For one, his sound design is really solid, but for another he's got a real knack where everything scary is juuuust out of sight.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I like Kane PIxels a lot but the voice work on that latest one is really bad; they're obviously just reading stuff and none of them are very good at it. They're adequate but when everything else knocks it out of the park it stands out real bad and ruined the immersion for me.

• Options
    You know what sets Kane Pixels apart from his copycats? For one, his sound design is really solid, but for another he's got a real knack where everything scary is juuuust out of sight.

Really? I thought he's shown the Nobody way too much already. It just looks like a bunch of sticks.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah I enjoy the visual designs a ton but the chief issue with the earlier video I saw is that rather than relying on the fact that it is in fact unsettling and distressing to be in a dimension beyond our own with unknown rules they keep being like "and there's a guy that yells and pushes you!"

It's not nearly as distressing as the rest of the environment, and it's just very directly understandable in a way that dilutes the rest of it. It reduces the whole space to an office building with a bad stealth section. If you replaced it with a black bear you'd wind up with something more interesting. Dangerous wildlife is difficult to predict and understand. A big mean guy who pathfinds toward you if it sees you is too straightforward.

Also good word is the wiki thing for the Backrooms bad. Like I'm sure you can mine something interesting out of it, but any SCP I've randomly selected just blows most of it out of the water. No real consistency, lots of "It's said by some that this level is 'the worst level' because it can... kill you."

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Really? I thought he's shown the Nobody way too much already. It just looks like a bunch of sticks.

Still tho, I think it generally moves too quickly to get a good look at it. So yeah, it's sticks; but the copycats seem slower usually and more in the frame. And yeah the acting is a bit obviously kids reading a script, but I was referring more to the howling.

• Options
    Yeah the wiki is the dollar store SCP

But backrooms is basically all made by children so I really can't be mad at it.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Yeah the wiki is the dollar store SCP

But backrooms is basically all made by children so I really can't be mad at it.

overall it's fucking AMAZING, no question there

• Options
    yep, I think that's it: I'm willing to suspend my disbelief just to get the horror tingles.

• Options
    Seriously, a massive collaborative fiction system that encourages writing and world building and that kind of thing that's so accessable... I'm kinda jealous

In my day all we had was fanfiction.net and that was

I mean it was about what you imagine

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Seriously, a massive collaborative fiction system that encourages writing and world building and that kind of thing that's so accessable... I'm kinda jealous

In my day all we had was fanfiction.net and that was

I mean it was about what you imagine

There was always Somethingawful. The granddaddy of every great and sinful thing across the internet.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    is SA where Let's Plays were born, or was I just first exposed to Let's Plays on that particular forum?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    also you guys know Legion? not the good show, the not quite good movie. Had Dennis Quaid and Paul Bettany, God decides humanity is beyond saving so he sends angels to earth to wipe us out, messiah is in the belly of a truck stop waitress in the middle of nowhere.

it had Doug Jones as an ice cream man, and the other night I had a dream with him in it. it heavily featured him.

uS6sbEx.png

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Last night I had a rather gruesome horror dream. Content warning for gore.
    As often happens with dreams that I have, there were times where I felt like "this is a video game that I'm playing" and other times where I was living inside the video game, and my brain didn't do a good job of differentiating whether I was watching fiction or participating in a horrifying reality.

The scenario started with a brother and sister driving in a car, and crashing. But instead of any of the negative impacts you would expect from a crash, they both walked away with no damage and the "world" began having a lot of unreal, video game-like aspects. There was a level of "do as you wish" in this world, and you could make that occur simply by willing it. But by breaking the laws of physics, you also drew the attention of the police - who I suppose, felt responsible for punishing people who break laws of nature? But like most patrolling video game NPCs, the police behaved in a very rote fashion - you had to be within their line of sight, and if they suspected you they would slow down to a snail's pace, at which point you could escape and they would forget about you. I can't remember all of the weird things people did, but it was mostly weird random shit like having a giant Lego "bike" that was just three long pieces snapped into a double-T shape, but having it float above ground move like a motorbike because you willed it to do so. My recollection of more than that is hazy, except that most people used their new-found power to be assholes and troll others; it turned swiftly into a replication of the internet but in the real world, so it was alarming and upsetting.

However, eventually in the "video game" narrative it was revealed that none of what happened after the car wreck was real - it was the fabrication of what in the SCP world you'd call a reality bender. The brother in the car wreck was the reality bender. The sister was torn into two pieces by the car wreck and killed on impact, and her brother used his reality bending powers to make her alive - and in the process he made all of reality whatever you wanted it to be. Once he started to realize she had actually died during the wreck, he began seeing her walking and talking but with a huge, bleeding gash in her middle, blood dripping from her mouth and head, and his false reality crumbled and the sister became the corpse that she actually was.

At this point the brother became a fugitive, and I don't know if it was because he felt like he had killed his sister by getting in a wreck (he crashed into something stationary, there were no other cars involved) or if it was because he altered reality and expected to be arrested for that. At certain points he became delusional that someone could "heal" his sister, so there was one incident where he was on an absolutely enormous aircraft that had an elevator and at least 8 stories, and a fully equipped hospital. But eventually the doctor who was "treating" his sister figured out the reality bending and tried to carefully capture the reality bender. But once the brother again realized that his sister was not with him at all and had in fact died some time ago, he simply jumped out of the plane through a cargo door.

Naturally he survived this jump. The final "scene" of the dream was the brother on a beach, but he had bended himself to look like a woman (maybe to look like his sister?) but he couldn't sustain it and eventually the image he created of himself became a woman bleeding from a gash in her middle, and he fled the eyes of onlookers once again.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    also you guys know Legion? not the good show, the not quite good movie. Had Dennis Quaid and Paul Bettany, God decides humanity is beyond saving so he sends angels to earth to wipe us out, messiah is in the belly of a truck stop waitress in the middle of nowhere.

it had Doug Jones as an ice cream man, and the other night I had a dream with him in it. it heavily featured him.

uS6sbEx.png

God Doug Jones rules.

I like a lot of things about Star Trek Discovery but giving Doug Jones a regular starring role is one of the better ones.

• Options
    Doug Jones is an excellent actor, from all reports a great person, and regularly features in my list of top 10 scariest monsters.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Doug Jones is an excellent actor, from all reports a great person, and regularly features in my list of top 10 scariest monsters.

The ones he plays in film and television are pretty good too

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

There's a bit in Teen Wolf where he was a monster of the week, a character turns around and Doug Jones comically runs into frame panting and out of breath and bonks em on the head, it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, wish I could find a clip of it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Backrooms (or at least Kane Pixel's take on it) reminds me a lot of the Marble Hornets days of the Slenderman mythos. The tech aspect of it makes things different, but it's another zero-budget horror project building on a recent public domain horror concept. Though the whole Backrooms concept got co-opted by mass media a whole lot faster than Slenderman (I consider Severance to be Backrooms inspired enough to say it's mainstream already).

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

uS6sbEx.png

God Doug Jones rules.

I like a lot of things about Star Trek Discovery but giving Doug Jones a regular starring role is one of the better ones.

There is a whole Discovery Episode where they are on a ship with a malfunctioning holodeck and it makes the away team all look like different species and Doug Jones just becomes a normal human and it rules because he doesn't have to have alien makeup on.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I bet Doug Jones has the world's best dermatologist, who in turn has the world's best stress therapist.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My apartment building power was out for a while yesterday, and the interior only has emergency lights at each end of rather long hallways and at the top of stairwells but not on the landings below that. Pitch dark everywhere else

It's some real Backrooms vibes, or that one SCP that's an infinite stairwell into the dark. I'm in full hair standing on end mode when I'm making my way in or out

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Being at one end of a long hallway that's illuminated at the other end is a situation guaranteed to give me heart palpitations. Goddamn.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My apartment building power was out for a while yesterday, and the interior only has emergency lights at each end of rather long hallways and at the top of stairwells but not on the landings below that. Pitch dark everywhere else

It's some real Backrooms vibes, or that one SCP that's an infinite stairwell into the dark. I'm in full hair standing on end mode when I'm making my way in or out

That is the one SCP that has legitimately lived in my head for years. I don’t even have a fear of the dark or anything, but I’ve had numerous nightmares about that story!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Being at one end of a long hallway that's illuminated at the other end is a situation guaranteed to give me heart palpitations. Goddamn.

https://youtu.be/mU3vsjvP10w

• Options
    I used to work at a YMCA, as an overnight janitor. it was usually me and my superior, we would clean for a few hours, declare it complete, and then fuck around for the rest of the night.

we never had the regular lights on, just like, secondary lights, so the stairwells and stuff would be dimly lit.

there was this hallway, parallel to the pool, but no windows, just like, cinderblock walls on both sides, the far end of the hallway turned, and there was a door there, an office or something. this hallway fucking sucked. you'd be creeped out walking into the dark and then reach the halfway point, and you're in this space of perfect darkness, juuuuust outside the reach of the lights at either end. you'd get the running shivers and that wriggling in the gut that says what it's said since back when mankind was regularly eaten by large cats. "FUCK. RUN."

we both hated that fucking hallway, and it was an unspoken thing that if we needed to get something from a room on the other side of The Hallway, we'd find each other so that, asking without asking, we could have like, a buddy for the trip.

I swear to god I saw a shadow person in the dark at the center.

one time I saw my boss walk into my view and enter the office on the other side of the hallway, and then I immediately ran into him. I was like "weren't you over there?" and he was all "down the hallway? fuck no." and I told him I saw him and we did brave the hallway to get to the office door, but then we couldn't open it, haha, we were too spooked.

I quit that job pretty fast, it was definitely haunted.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've been in one of those stairwells before after taking a wrong turn due to some vague directions. I was fine at the top. I'm not usually scared of the dark, but there were no lights past the first two stories and by the time I hit the fourth stairway down my fight-or-flight fully engaged and I did a very fast 180 and took the steps two-at-a-time back up.

• Options
    So, I used to see shadow people regularly. I don't have sleep paralysis or anything like that, I have extremely bad anxiety (for which I am well medicated. See: "used to").

Usually it was the kind of thing where you'd see something out of the corner of your eye and know someone was there. Sometimes it was movement, sometimes just a figure, and sometimes it was something I'd see for a fraction of a second while turning my head. Like hanging out with your four friends, but when you turn to talk to one there's suddenly two extra people at the table. I didn't even have a name for them until I read John Dies At The End.

It's not seeing a person, but the impression of a person. Unlike your typical scary monsters, I couldn't actually look at them. I got a half-second and that was it. The way you offhandedly notice someone passing in a crowd. I don't think representations can capture it. It's like the ultimate jump scare because it doesn't linger and can't ever be fully seen. Even the name "Shadow People" doesn't seem appropriate in some ways. Shadows are way too tangible. These are so ephemeral that the moment of seeing it banishes it.

Sometimes it was of a random design (a person, a dog, a car once), but there were a few regular visitors. The crying woman was one. The impression of someone sitting in a dark corner, fetal position, head between their knees. She wasn't scary, she was more of just an occurrence. Regular enough to get a name, but benign enough to not be scary.

The man in the road was a bit more dangerous, because you can imagine the frightening impact of driving and getting the sudden impression of someone standing on the road in front of you. This one wasn't in my peripheral per-se, it would appear at the forward limit of my headlights like a matte black shadow.

Then there was the passerby, who would walk by the door. Even if the door only led to a hallway with no way to cross the threshold like that. The creepiest times were always when I'd be working on something, see someone come in from my peripheral vision, pick something up, and walk out, disappear, or I'd just find out that no one had come in. I'd always recognize them though. It wasn't a vague shadow, it was "oh, that's Sassana" or "Oh, that's Jeremy". Someone real that I knew, followed by the realization that they weren't there.

I should note, generally these weren't things I was scared of. Just things that'd happen as a result of me being anxious about something else. I think the most haunted things are people. Our brains are capable of incredibly fast processing that sometimes messes up and creates a person that isn't there.

I loooove horror stuff because it digs into our psyche and exposes our fears and desires. Also because you can control it. But I also think the most existentially horrifying thing is the brain, oddly enough.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There are no haunted houses. Just haunted people.

• Options

Is that the same lady from Lights Out?

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So, I used to see shadow people regularly. I don't have sleep paralysis or anything like that, I have extremely bad anxiety (for which I am well medicated. See: "used to").

Usually it was the kind of thing where you'd see something out of the corner of your eye and know someone was there. Sometimes it was movement, sometimes just a figure, and sometimes it was something I'd see for a fraction of a second while turning my head. Like hanging out with your four friends, but when you turn to talk to one there's suddenly two extra people at the table. I didn't even have a name for them until I read John Dies At The End.

It's not seeing a person, but the impression of a person. Unlike your typical scary monsters, I couldn't actually look at them. I got a half-second and that was it. The way you offhandedly notice someone passing in a crowd. I don't think representations can capture it. It's like the ultimate jump scare because it doesn't linger and can't ever be fully seen. Even the name "Shadow People" doesn't seem appropriate in some ways. Shadows are way too tangible. These are so ephemeral that the moment of seeing it banishes it.

Sometimes it was of a random design (a person, a dog, a car once), but there were a few regular visitors. The crying woman was one. The impression of someone sitting in a dark corner, fetal position, head between their knees. She wasn't scary, she was more of just an occurrence. Regular enough to get a name, but benign enough to not be scary.

The man in the road was a bit more dangerous, because you can imagine the frightening impact of driving and getting the sudden impression of someone standing on the road in front of you. This one wasn't in my peripheral per-se, it would appear at the forward limit of my headlights like a matte black shadow.

Then there was the passerby, who would walk by the door. Even if the door only led to a hallway with no way to cross the threshold like that. The creepiest times were always when I'd be working on something, see someone come in from my peripheral vision, pick something up, and walk out, disappear, or I'd just find out that no one had come in. I'd always recognize them though. It wasn't a vague shadow, it was "oh, that's Sassana" or "Oh, that's Jeremy". Someone real that I knew, followed by the realization that they weren't there.

I should note, generally these weren't things I was scared of. Just things that'd happen as a result of me being anxious about something else. I think the most haunted things are people. Our brains are capable of incredibly fast processing that sometimes messes up and creates a person that isn't there.

I loooove horror stuff because it digs into our psyche and exposes our fears and desires. Also because you can control it. But I also think the most existentially horrifying thing is the brain, oddly enough.

A few weeks ago I had an episode of sleep paralysis but unusually I woke up lying on my side with my eyes closed. So rather than seeing the usual shadow guy standing at the foot of my bed, I felt someone walk into the room, move the duvet and slide into a spooning position behind me. I live alone.

Needless to say, I understand why people swear up and down that they see and feel ghosts around them, even after we got more understanding of the ways the brain is broken.

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I like to be polite if I think there's a ghost or some manner of haunt in a place, I don't necessarily believe in ghosts and hauntings but like the man says

"I was in heaven, I was in hell. Believe in neither, but fear them as well."

I'm hoping being apologetic keeps them from killing me. "sorry to intrude, just needed thiiiiis wrench, okay enjoy your shed, shed goblin."

Depressperado on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I like to be polite if I think there's a ghost or some manner of haunt in a place, I don't necessarily believe in ghosts and hauntings but like the man says

"I was in heaven, I was in hell. Believe in neither, but fear them as well."

I'm hoping being apologetic keeps them from killing me. "sorry to intrude, just needed thiiiiis wrench, okay enjoy your shed, shed goblin."

It costs nothing to be polite and respectful, even if there isn't really anyone on the other end.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Is that the same lady from Lights Out?

Yep, and the director of those shorts also published Blender animation tutorials!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    So there's a total lunar eclipse happening tonight. That's as good a reason as any to bring this gem back.

https://youtu.be/2BD-ba-aXQo

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky