As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Food "Thread": Things Man Was Not Meant To Digest

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Mrs Rhesus got mad at me in the pub over the weekend for abusing the pot of melted butter that came with our charcuterie board

Things that butter is for: bread

Things that butter (apparently) isn't for: haggis, salami, olives

when I started dating my now-husband my sister tried to discourage me from going out with him by informing me that at Thanksgiving he had made himself a bowl of melted butter and dipped every food item in it

this did not actually happen but if it had, I couldn't fault him for it

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    RE casual dining

That makes a lot more sense and means my fav burger place (Honest burger in London) is a casual dining place.

Fast casual is a good way to describe 5 guys as it doesn't feel as nice as Honest burger but also classier than Mcdonalds.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    Mrs Rhesus got mad at me in the pub over the weekend for abusing the pot of melted butter that came with our charcuterie board

Things that butter is for: bread

Things that butter (apparently) isn't for: haggis, salami, olives

when I started dating my now-husband my sister tried to discourage me from going out with him by informing me that at Thanksgiving he had made himself a bowl of melted butter and dipped every food item in it

this did not actually happen but if it had, I couldn't fault him for it

Give him a high five for me.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I don't think I'd like a restaurant with a dress code.

Mostly because I don't have much nice clothes and don't want to wear them just to go out to eat. Also shit would be expensive.

Id rather eat at big boy than at some fancy place with napkin rings any day. Forever.

I feel much the same way. Swanky restaurants can be really nice, obviously, but I tend to prefer simple food made well in a more casual environment. Even on the rare occasions I have managed to go to fancier places, it generally turns out that "oh hey the lasagna here is really nice, they put a little finely chopped red capsicum in the tomato sauce".

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I went to this really fancy restaurant in NJ on a business trip one time - literally left the airport for this dinner, so I was in jeans and a t-shirt, but they still let me in. We all had a laugh over it and a few bottles of wine, but there was nothing on the menu that I really wanted because my pallet is... not refined, and everything had mushrooms or looked gross. So I settled on the Lobster Gnocchi, because I like both lobster and gnocchi.

Everyone else got a big stonkin' steak, which I didn't find on my menu.

Because the restaurant gave me their lunch menu.

I was so mad. I love steak.

owned
    wait maybe they gave you the wrong menu on purpose on account of you being dressed like a schlub

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I went to this really fancy restaurant in NJ on a business trip one time - literally left the airport for this dinner, so I was in jeans and a t-shirt, but they still let me in. We all had a laugh over it and a few bottles of wine, but there was nothing on the menu that I really wanted because my pallet is... not refined, and everything had mushrooms or looked gross. So I settled on the Lobster Gnocchi, because I like both lobster and gnocchi.

owned
    wait maybe they gave you the wrong menu on purpose on account of you being dressed like a schlub

I also had my work laptop in a brown grocery bag because my company had neglected to order me a laptop carrying case before the trip.

I still won them over with the presentation/training I provided the next day, but it was Not Great, Bob, to start.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

owned

"Look at this guy, walkin' in here in jeans and a tee. No way he can afford the Steak Menu. Give him the schlub special."

Yup, sounds like steak house staff.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Omg that cheese steak is making me homesick..

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Omg that cheese steak is making me sick..

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Mostly because I don't have much nice clothes and don't want to wear them just to go out to eat. Also shit would be expensive.

Id rather eat at big boy than at some fancy place with napkin rings any day. Forever.

Nothing wrong with regular dinner, but "not showing up in shorts and a wifebeater, or even jeans and a tshirt" is technically a dresscode. But any non-jeans and button up will get you in most places.

But if you'd let that get in the way of 1 or 2 michelin star dinners than you are doing yourself a disservice.

Pro-tip: don't go to a michelin restaurant and eat a regular meal, it will be very overpriced and leave you hungry.

Always go for the degusté, which is a fancy word for multi-course experience. They usually have them ranging from 5 to 10/12 courses, and the portions are the same as the regular courses in most cases.

You will get way more food and be really fucking full at the end, and the food-to-money ratio is much more favourable.

Example: the last 2-star restaurant i went to offered regular meals in the 35-50 euro range, while the 8 course degusté was 80 euro, and the 10 course (which i got) was 100. You easily get three times the food for double the money.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    tonight I'm going to a mexican-japanese fusion bar and restaurant called Diego-San

should be interesting

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    tonight I'm going to a mexican-japanese fusion bar and restaurant called Diego-San

should be interesting

With a touch of Scottish, because it's named after Sean Connery's character from Highlander

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    their bathroom game is on point73ak3pam4swl.jpg
    g2mj3z9jmbhf.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Please tell me you straightened that one frame. It is driving me nuts!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I bet he's the one that made it wonky in the first place.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »

Nothing wrong with regular dinner, but "not showing up in shorts and a wifebeater, or even jeans and a tshirt" is technically a dresscode. But any non-jeans and button up will get you in most places.

But if you'd let that get in the way of 1 or 2 michelin star dinners than you are doing yourself a disservice.

Pro-tip: don't go to a michelin restaurant and eat a regular meal, it will be very overpriced and leave you hungry.

Always go for the degusté, which is a fancy word for multi-course experience. They usually have them ranging from 5 to 10/12 courses, and the portions are the same as the regular courses in most cases.

You will get way more food and be really fucking full at the end, and the food-to-money ratio is much more favourable.

Example: the last 2-star restaurant i went to offered regular meals in the 35-50 euro range, while the 8 course degusté was 80 euro, and the 10 course (which i got) was 100. You easily get three times the food for double the money.

go to taco bell. most of them have at least two stars on the reviews that google maps shows--and who are you going to trust, a tire company or the current ultimate source of all knowledge--and you probably have one nearby so it is very convenient. you can get a twelve course meal for like fifteen bucks. every course is a taco. you will be very full, extremely full, even dangerously full after having consumed the full dozen. they are generally intended for multiple people but you don't have to say anything to the guy working the register about what you're going to do

he's seen it all

and he already knows

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    A dozen tacos and a medium soda

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    A dozen tacos and a medium soda

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I honestly can't imagine ever going to a Taco Bell where I can't order alcohol again

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »

hell we went to Momofuku Ko in decent jeans and solid color v-necks and were just fine
    Ko is Ko is Ko, though, to be fair

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    KFC is back with another abomination.

Behold the Chizza. A personal pizza with a chicken crust.

mcp on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I would try it.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    for fucks sake it's just a chicken parmagian

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    for fucks sake it's just a chicken parmagian

No. It's an abomination.
    The pizza, er — chizza — is still essentially a personal-pan pizza with the traditional fixings with mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce with a slice of ham and pineapple slathered in KFC’s special cheese sauce.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    if you covered a slab of fried chicken with marinara and mozzarella I'd eat that no question

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    if you covered a slab of fried chicken with marinara and mozzarella I'd eat that no question

THAT'S JUST A CHICKEN PARMA

YOU CAN GET IT AT OLIVE GARDEN

This shit makes my brain leak out of my nose

• Options

why

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Because people are talking about it like it's a thing that doesn't already exist. If you want cheap chicken parm, you probably live within 10 miles of a place that does it already!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Because people are talking about it like it's a thing that doesn't already exist. If you want cheap chicken parm, you probably live within 10 miles of a place that does it already!

yeah but can I get it in 3 minutes?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

why

because those crazy cooks at KFC have done it again with another mind blowing innovation

of calling something you can buy in any number of pubs and family restaurants a different name

• Options
    New, from the food scientists at Jack in the Box, our revolutionary BURGER CAKE

0595f3b7-a20f-4fe5-a332-3183b062fd92.jpg

• Options
    Doesn't chicken parm have to have Parmesan cheese?
    I don't believe this does. It's not spectacularly original, but I think they're justified in not calling it chicken parmesan

• Options

why

because those crazy cooks at KFC have done it again with another mind blowing innovation

of calling something you can buy in any number of pubs and family restaurants a different name

yeah but now you can get it at KFC

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't believe this does. It's not spectacularly original, but I think they're justified in not calling it chicken parmesan

Not really, it's sort of named after the region rather than the cheese used in the dish. Mozz and parm are both pretty common ingredients to it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I'm not really invested in what they call it

the thing that rustles my jimmies is how folks on the internet react to it.

• Options
    Well, looks like it's only available in Singapore, so @Lost Salient you're going to have to be our test subject.

• Options

I'm not really invested in what they call it

the thing that rustles my jimmies is how folks on the internet react to it.

It's chicken parmesan with ham, pineapple, and KFC Cheese sauce on it. If an Italian restaurant advertised a Hawaiian Chicken Parmesan with Ham, Pineapple, and cheese sauce people would be weirded out.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    KFC also has their Georgia Gold honey mustard BBQ chicken going on right now, and let me tell you, it's pretty excellent. Not quite as good as the Nashville Hot variety, but still really good for fast food fried chicken.

• Options
    This does make me want to explore more Hawaiian-Italian Fusion cuisine, however

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.