As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Pals

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Pals

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    ...... I don't get it.

shadowysea07 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hero shooters tend to rely on certain archetypes, which are widely repeated and sometimes outright copied (though usually from previous generations, not so much contemporaries, if only due to production lag time).

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I will say that there's been... something about playing Paladins that makes me to keep playing it. While Overwatch I've never wanted to boot it up again. Maybe because at least the Siege mode is slightly original instead of Overwatch just doing the bare minimum and just copying TF2 game modes?

One of these was free, and the other was a $60 game.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I think you mean Soldier, but a dragon.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Somewhat unrelated, but I would like to petition that everyone joins me in forever pronouncing Paladin the same way as Saladin.

For reference:

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ...... I don't get it.

You could just google the game in question...

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Somewhat unrelated, but I would like to petition that everyone joins me in forever pronouncing Paladin the same way as Saladin.

For reference:

That can backfire. I've seen videos of King's Quest Six, wherein Saladin is pronounced how I pronounce Paladin.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Enlong wrote: »

For reference:

That can backfire. I've seen videos of King's Quest Six, wherein Saladin is pronounced how I pronounce Paladin.

I pronounce "Saladin" like how I hear people pronounce "Paladin".

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

For reference:

Well, Paladin comes from Palatine, as in the Palatine Hills of Rome (it was a title for a select few knights of Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire). Saladin is a Muslim name. There's no etymological connection. That said, I have traditionally heard them pronounced similarly here in the Northeastern US: 'a' followed by 'L' as in the 1st syllable of California, independently voiced 'a' as in the 1st syllable of about, short 'i' pronounciation just like the word din ('noisy').

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

For reference:

Pretend I found a picture of Paula Deen in a suit of armor.

Because that's what you're asking me to say. I mean, I'll still do it, but that's all I'm hearing.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TimAusTimAus Registered User regular
    I think it's funny when anyone is accused of copying Blizzard. Blizzard built an empire copying other people's games.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    TimAus wrote: »
    I think it's funny when anyone is accused of copying Blizzard. Blizzard built an empire copying other people's games.

As much as I love Blizzard, this is definitely true. Blizzard's whole approach is to soak in what everyone else has been doing, and then make a high-polish best-hits remix of it. And god bless them for it cause they've made some great stuff over the years, but they've rarely bothered with trying to be innovative.

What gets my goat is when people get uppity about Games Workshop's IP; say what you will about their business model but they make some cool stuff, however it's also super-derivative. When you realize that the characteristic "heroic space marine" art style was just a by-product of the model-making limitations of the early years (much like how War3 & WoW's decisions to take a "do more with less" approach to graphics influenced the concept art) it starts to sink in that they aren't so different.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just have to wonder about the wisdom of releasing another class based shooter right now.

Overwatch is still pretty popular. Not the insane levels it was during the first month of launch. But it seems like it would be a bad idea to release a game so close in concept, when the juggernaut is still rolling right along.

I'm honestly expecting Overwatch to dominate the holiday season this year, despite it having released in early summer. It was just the breath of fresh air that the shooter genre needed, and I don't see much standing in its way right now.

Does anyone still play Battleborn or Paragons?