As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2016: You'll go down in history...

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Elin wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Never heard of it. Then again, it was probably a decade before I heard about books like Enders Game and Ready Player One, and I still haven't read the latter.

Here, I'll summarize Ready Player One:
    'Welcome to the Matrix'
    *Firefly reference, 80's game reference, 80's movie reference*
    "You're such a cool, smart, fit, main character, main character".

Man that book got me angry. I heard so many great things about it, but it's not a good book.

I don't consider any of the following a spoiler, but I'm hiding it anyhow.
    Ready Player One is a good action adventure, but not literature. I enjoyed it WAY more than Wise Man's Fear.I also listened to the Audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton and that *may* have enhanced the book a lot. I think what helped me through some of the plot holes is realizing that the whole thing uses an unreliable narrator. We aren't seeing the events unfold in real time, we're reading his account of how he pulled it off. Of course he never really fucks up and always has the snappy come-back, he's had a long time to think about it.

I listened to it via Audiobook, as well, and I think Wil Wheaton reading it to me might have made it better. I also think it could make an AWESOME TV series (too much for a movie, I think). But yes, our main character is a total Mary Sue.

I listened to it on audible too, and I agree Wil made it bearable. I made it a far bit, but when the main character:
    Jumps into his Firefly class ship

That I had to tap out. And the lists. My god the lists.

I read it and enjoyed it, but I had very little in way of expectations. I had also read a bunch of Star Wars EU books before that, and I'm sure that desensitized me.

PSN: jfrofl
  • thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on two items to complete the pack and then send it.

This coming weds, I go under the k'nif for a double total disc replacement in my neck.

Merry Christmas to me!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    thejaxx wrote: »

This coming weds, I go under the k'nif for a double total disc replacement in my neck.

Merry Christmas to me!

Good luck!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

@Mighty Claus keeps on giving! Last night I received a package that contained:
    IMG_20161211_160703_zps6zbzadkl.jpg

Also, for reference, when I opened the box, this is the scene I was greeted with:
    IMG_20161211_160928_zps8rlxwmav.jpg
    (In case you can't tell because of the glare, the person on the left in the last scene is... performing an act on himself, shall we say.)

Thank you, @Mighty! I suspect that this is going to be brought out during the Christmas get-together with my cousins-in-law.

Glad to see you had gotten it! I did not know if it had been pilfered from your doorstep or not.

Merry Christmas Delduwath!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    RE Ready Player One:
    I'm genuinely fascinated by the hate. I honestly loved the book as a decent enough idea executed with a bunch of fun references to my childhood. Have recommended it to several people and they've all felt similar. It's certainly not a book I'd walk into expecting a super serious moment-to-moment, but the overarching narrative is fun and some other bits I don't really want to mention.
    (It's also fascinating to be displeased with things like the firefly-class ship or super sentai references. Lets be honest - this is the internet, and all that shit is out there. It's hardly unreasonable.)

Point is, I guess I'll have to be cautious about who I consider sending this book to in the future. It seems to be less the subtle darling than I expected. ;P

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the book the first time I read it, though I saw its flaws.

Second read through I was really annoyed by it, specially
    The main character becoming super fit, since it really didn't serve a narrative purpose?

I guess it helped him pull off his super over complicated plan?

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    thejaxx wrote: »

Merry Christmas to me!

Upgrading from floppy to Blu-ray?
    Jokes. Hope it goes well!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've been told I have a package. I won't be able to put together an official post til tomorrow, so stay tuned!

YL9WnCY.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Elf the Proxy has delivered another message:

AWTlZaV.png
    OMc6Pd4.jpg
    I think we all know what this must be... that's right Rodger's rare Peruvian butt-hole eating scorpions. Man at $2,000 those things are expensive as hell, thanks Santa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIa0ywe8wd0

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Sorry santee, I've been a little, well, unemployed recently, but never fear I am still sending you a box! Filled with wonder, delight, but none of the liquor that santa is fueling a job search with.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Sorry santee, I've been a little, well, unemployed recently, but never fear I am still sending you a box! Filled with wonder, delight, but none of the liquor that santa is fueling a job search with.

Uh, this might be why you're still unemployed.

Clearly you're not drinking enough pre-interviews.

Santee, gifts are on the way!

Santa! Don't get me Ready Player One please.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

No need to be sorry. I've been there and it sucks. Here's hoping it doesn't last long.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just a friendly reminder that I will be out of town until Sunday night. If you sent a package, fear not, our house sitter has brought it inside.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

I was told to expect a package on the 14th, but it looks like it came today! Delivered at like 7pm, which is hella late fora the post dude to operate, but whatever, I get presents! Thanks post dude!

To start, Midnight helps me inspect the packages:
    QSEMLwa.jpg

HOLY SHIT, THIS IS AN AMAZING GIFT! I was thinking of getting this, but I haven't been into FF in forever, so I've been holding back. DEFINITELY going to play this now, though!
    zL3COHv.jpg

Oh yeah, team badguy! ("It's pronounced 'badji'!") These are going on my desk for sure.
    FyRrlT2.jpg

And a wonderful, funny, and heartfelt letter:
    rOtUeZs.jpg

Bonus: Midnight took a moment to help me with the wrapping:
    WYWab20.jpg

Bonus: Midnight knows that words are what matters most:
    8MPSMQg.jpg

Thank YOU, @acidlacedpenguin!

Imperfect on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So my secret santa messaged me and stated that the second part of my gift might take a while getting here as he was held up. However the postman came today and...

GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

eC6FIi1.jpg?1
    No Pets so my plush axew will have to help me out here.

1edzoi1.jpg?1
    First package contained a set for making and drinking russian mules! looks delicious and axew is looking a little to into it...

iBQ7gmT.jpg?1
    Opening up the second box reveals this message. No worries Santa I was patient this year! Digging deeper and I find...

mRFkMST.jpg?1
    Alaskan Vodka and some really nice looking ginger beer! Axew can't wait to get TURNT! I see that the recipe calls for lime juice so I went to my store to find some limes and...

M1zGVQY.jpg?1
    They were completely out of limes. I had to settle for lime juice in a bottle from off the shelf.

7EIjzY5.jpg?1
    It's delicious! I like the cayenne pepper it gives a nice kick. Looks like Axew can't hold his liquor very well though.

5COk4xL.jpg?2
    The whole haul. Thanks a ton @vhannroy !

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So I don't drink vodka (just have never bought it), but is there a reason for copper mugs instead of another material? They look neat though!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    O mysterious mystery Santa. Just wanted to let you know the 2nd package arrived safely, just haven't had time to tear into it yet. Excite!!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the book the first time I read it, though I saw its flaws.

Second read through I was really annoyed by it, specially
    The main character becoming super fit, since it really didn't serve a narrative purpose?

I guess it helped him pull off his super over complicated plan?
    That was him deleting Facebook, getting a lawyer, and hitting the gym. (Sorry, reddit joke). Seriously, it's him taking control of his life. He needed a distraction from heartbreak.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    So I don't drink vodka (just have never bought it), but is there a reason for copper mugs instead of another material? They look neat though!

It helps chill the drink as well as does not leach any favor in to the drink.

• MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    vhannroy wrote: »

It helps chill the drink as well as does not leach any favor in to the drink.

Also, the traditional container for a moscow mule!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Also it makes you feel like a cool fantasy dwarf

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Santee, your gift is on its way!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've got almost all the parts of the gift for my Santee ready; one more item is arriving at the end of this week, and after that I will rush to send it out ASAP!

urahonky wrote: »

No need to be sorry. I've been there and it sucks. Here's hoping it doesn't last long.

I got a call today actually! Cautiously optimistic

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

A package! Sandy was really, really interested in the box. I managed to get her to look up at me for a picture by some miracle, as she was getting ready to dive into the box. Once it was open it was pretty clear why!
    dcwrak2uxb7x.jpg
    cuzdfm99ls0z.jpg

Cat treats! And catnip! I've never actually given her catnip before, and I've had this cat for 10+ years. Will be interesting to see how she reacts, she really nuzzled the tin can that it came in quite a bit. I tossed down probably 10 treats and she vacuumed them up instantly.

Under the treats there's a much bigger, gift wrapped item. I don't think it's more cat stuff because Sandy is not the least bit interested. It almost looks too nice to open!
    mg0qs2w6gho5.jpg
    l3uvnbif5hl9.jpg

Okay now I really have no idea what it could be.
    x9ceoonq7a9u.jpg

Ah ha! The world's greatest detective! Great googly moogly this is a really nice, high quality hardback graphic novel. Feel like I should be wearing gloves when I handle this thing. I've always seen Hush listed in "top Batman stories" type lists, but I've never read it myself. Much excite! Thumbing through a few pages, the black & white art is pretty fantastic, there's a lot to take in here.

But wait... there's more! Another package has appeared!
    6yzn8hunma6d.jpg
    8d1nt5esx8l1.jpg

Now the shape of the box is mighty familiar on this one! I have a pretty good feeling a certain collection of mine is about to grow...
    1mxksrpxm5qu.jpg

Oh wow! Shovel Knight! I've never actually seen one of these. Awesome! Now for a whole lot of internal debate over whether to remove him from his package or not.

You are surely the most supremely generous Santa I have ever known! Thank you!!! Now if only I knew your true identity...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif
    A package at my door!
    85OEqsx.jpg

Kelso wonders if it is food
    cheo6BT.jpg

Open and find...
    x3dw9k7.jpg

Destiny shirts! Vanguard, Hakke and Hunter! Awesome!

Obligatory dirty mirror selfie with my favorite one on
    AkTm3xd.jpg

Thanks Santa, whomever you may be!

Local H Jay on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I beat Shovel Knight today @MNC Dover

Thanks so much, that was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the past five years.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    @AbsoluteZero I'm your secret Santa! I don't do a lot of posting but I do enjoy the holidays! Glad I could spread some cheer with you and your kitty! I might have to hit you up for some Nintendo advice as it looks like I'm getting WiI U
    From the wifey this year :)

steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    @Local H Jay you should spoil and/or reduce the size on those images, they're kinda massive.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I beat Shovel Knight today "MNC Dover"

Thanks so much, that was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the past five years.

Shovel Knight is by far one of the best games produced in the last 5 years. Better still, they keep releasing free DLC for it. Amazing!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    WillyDub wrote: »
    AbsoluteZero I'm your secret Santa! I don't do a lot of posting but I do enjoy the holidays! Glad I could spread some cheer with you and your kitty! I might have to hit you up for some Nintendo advice as it looks like I'm getting WiI U
    From the wifey this year :)

@WillyDub you magnificent bastard! Thank you so much for your festive holiday generosity! Let me know if you wind up needing some Wii U recommendations. It's got a great little library for sure.

Thanks again!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    What's this? Something in the mail?

GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

Why yes, the lovely @Local H Jay has brought holiday cheer my way!
    t7hoa527xlhk.jpg
    vk8zpv1nw6nl.jpg

And what was inside the mystery bag? Why, an art book!
    A Splatoon art book, at that! afc15s4a97t9.jpg

But I seem to have gotten two more presents in the mail, as promised.
    z6t8kuzr8key.jpg
    Oh boy! A digimon plush!

0aemf1g85uli.jpg
    The Simpsons and Lego. Together at last!

Thank you so much for making this crummy year a bit better. I needed it. :)

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif
    A package at my door!
    85OEqsx.jpg

Kelso wonders if it is food
    cheo6BT.jpg

Open and find...
    x3dw9k7.jpg

Destiny shirts! Vanguard, Hakke and Hunter! Awesome!

Obligatory dirty mirror selfie with my favorite one on
    AkTm3xd.jpg

Thanks Santa, whomever you may be!

Glad you got them so quick! The initial shipping estimate was looking like next week.

Happy to kit out a fellow Hunter in class-appropriate gear, and I couldn't resist throwing in a shirt with my favourite weapons foundry on it as well.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Thanks so much @Imperfect !
    @Zython Let me know what characters you got out of the blind bags, hopefully no dupes :D

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

A package has arrived, marked as gift the first by Santa. Hoping for butt scorpions!

Doggos inspect a tube.
    2016-12-12%2020.12.45_zpsfc2vp3u1.jpg

Contents of said tube.
    2016-12-12%2020.19.04_zps9e24m7af.jpg
    A map to where I may find my butt scorpions! No.. it is a horizontally oriented Dark Souls 1 world map. This is actually really amazing looking, I'm going to have it framed when I move!

Thank you Santa, I can't wait to see what comes next!

P.S. Santee, I'm still waiting on parts of your gift to arrive, so I might not get to mail it out until next week.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Contents of said tube.

A map to where I may find my butt scorpions! No.. it is a horizontally oriented Dark Souls 1 world map. This is actually really amazing looking, I'm going to have it framed when I move!

Holy fuck that is awesome! Santaaaaa, are you paying attention?

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Contents of said tube.

Holy fuck that is awesome! Santaaaaa, are you paying attention?

I love that print. I'll pick one up eventually. Have a lovely story about it's creation!
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/12/the-beautiful-dark-souls-print-that-almost-never-happened-interview/

holy crap that's amazing.

Also, I got that job offer today. It's not glamorous but hell, unemployment over pride also feels unglamorous. So now my goal is a little extra for a box for santee out this week (I'll send tracking. sorry for hitting so close to Christmas)

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Dear Santee,

According to my tracking pages, your package is currently out for delivery....in a town you don't live in? I sure hope it's just some weird Canadian postal thing. I know I put the address in correctly.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I put the boxes in the mail, completely forgetting to include any kind of note to my santee about my identity or what they're for.

So if you get a pair of mysterious boxes out of nowhere with no note or explanation, they're from me.

Unless they're not.

(I do have tracking numbers I'll pass along when they're closer to arrival.)

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif