Options

[Steam]: Your game library has increased. (-1 to your backlog skill)

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I made it a mission to intentionally fail every QTE in TR2013 once just so I could screencap the resulting gruesomeness and collect them all.

But yeah, I'm kind of twisted, too.

>.>

Honestly your posts on the subject are the reason why I'll probably end up playing the Telltale Jurassic Park game at some point in the future.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    One of the greatest deaths in a video game is in Inside, which I didn't even realize was a thing until I watched the Game Grumps play the game. Specifically:
    There is a scene where you escape from some dogs and push over a filing cabinet to block the door so they can't get you. Dan, in his infinite genius, got on TOP of the cabinet to taunt them. To my amazement, the developers had THOUGHT of this and lo and behold, the kid was dragged through the hole in the door then mauled to death by the dogs.

Well done on that Inside devs. I had never laughed harder at a death in a video game before.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Greatest video game death: Goes to To The Moon dude. He took a lot of folks down with him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I tried to throw @Stabbity Style under the bus, but I got burned. Birded. Burnded.

Thanks for Elegy of a Dead World, @Firebird <3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ed Boon, through some discussion with the mortal kombat fan base, revealed that fatalities would never target gonads.

Little details like that define the difference between pure gore and Italian fetish comics.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks @Firebird for Road to Ballhalla! Looks like a neat little marble rolling/platformer game. Thanks again <3

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    To be honest, I found it a bigger problem that Lara shrugs off being cutscene-stabbed through the stomach in the first thirty seconds of actual gameplay in TR2013. What makes it more jarring is there's an actual objective later in the game to treat yourself after another debilitating injury, but here she just kind of gets up and walks it off. There's action movie/game license for hero abuse, and there's just plain silly and not even internally consistent.

That said, I still had a goddamn blast with the game. Quality gunplay and exploration aside, they nailed all the little details and had some fun level design to boot. It's one of the few titles I actually felt up to doing all the little optional checklist stuff, just because I enjoyed how it felt to get around the island and do things.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    FWIW, talking about female characters in ASS ASS (in's creed). Evie >>>>> Jacob.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    FWIW, talking about female characters in ASS ASS (in's creed). Evie >>>>> Jacob.

Too bad she gets like...half as many story missions, and the entire final mission is the Jacob show.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

Too bad she gets like...half as many story missions, and the entire final mission is the Jacob show.

An Assassin's Creed game focusing too much attention on a boring dude? Big surprise there!

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    The reboot Tomb raider QTE fails were pretty gruesome. Especially if you failed them a few times in a row and it just kept happening.
    I'd actually say they were pretty on par with RE4 style deaths (or like some of the gnarly stuff in new Wolfenstein) or possibly other REs (haven't gotten much further). It was a bit of a shock the first few times. RE it's kind of part of the horror theme package. So many gnarly Leon deaths. I didn't really mind the gore in Tomb Raider, I just wasn't expecting it. Come to think of it, I don't think Rise went quite as severe. But I could be forgetting some stuff.
    Beyond the QTE deaths Tomb Raider had
    me basically wading through rivers of blood bordered by stacks of dead bodies.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I returned to Renowned Explorers with dlc More to Explore.

Oh my God

words cannot describe how much i love this game

And this little girl Princess Necromancer? There is small questline with her, and it's bloody awesome. Go buy / play this game.
    In the end, putting the Necromancer on the Incan throne probably isn't the wisest course of action, but it is the funniest, so it's obviously the clear winner.

'Cuz, hey, it's not like you have to live under her reign of terror.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    All video games ever are pretty fucked up.
    With their portrayal of wolves.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    akajaybay wrote: »
    like some of the gnarly stuff in new Wolfenstein

Oh man, The New Order has what is probably my favorite death in videogame history, on the bridge level:
    if you fall off BJ mutters "stupid way to die" to himself right before he hits the water

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Scratchy wrote: »
    All video games ever are pretty fucked up.
    With their portrayal of wolves.

I'm rather sad I could not carve up a boar in STALKER and use its meat to train a pack of wild dogs. Maybe even get them to eat the other dogs......

• Options
    @Aistan if you put words in my mouth I'll put something in you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ... really? Bit of an overreaction to a standard "quote and modify for exaggerated effect" post.

Video games suck at portraying wolves accurately. Tomb Raider is not alone in this.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    In fairness, I hear that Scatchy only puts the finest quality of things in people.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Video games suck at portraying wolves accurately. Tomb Raider is not alone in this.

Agree
    Aegeri wrote: »
    In fairness, I hear that Scatchy only puts the finest quality of things in people.

You've been talking to the wrong folks.
    ... really? Bit of an overreaction to a standard "quote and modify for exaggerated effect" post.

Nope, typical of me. Might be exaggerated for effect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My dick

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Woke up to drunk @Firebird complaining about not being a lesbian or something. Went to take a shower, come back to his crazy generosity.

pGnDg3D.png

Thank you so much, I have no idea what this is, but its always nice to be told you're pretty. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @Antoshka Gets me off guard in my drunken stupor...

Capture83_zpsshqg6ifc.jpg~original

I don't know what those random letters mean, what are they. Base 32 or something?
    I have absolutely no idea how this currently correlates with my current situation.

Also, didn't he learned his lesson last time?
    Gracias, amigo~♪ <3

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    @Viking hit me with balls. Lady balls.

Um... here, let me just show you.

BteEIya.jpg

Thanks Viking!

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    @Antoshka Gets me off guard in my drunken stupor...

Capture83_zpsshqg6ifc.jpg~original

I don't know what those random letters mean, what are they. Base 32 or something?
    I have absolutely no idea how this currently correlates with my current situation.

Also, didn't he learned his lesson last time?
    Gracias, amigo~♪ <3

'Cause we find ourselves in the same old mess, singin' drunken lullabies!

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Hey, I heard a bunch a people singing that Marvin Gaye song "Can I Get a Witness", and I was like, "Yeah, okay."

I think it's about Harrison Ford saving Amish kids with strategically placed grain silos. I don't know. I might be remembering it wrong. Enter if ya want it! Open to G&T Adventure.

signature.png

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Another expedition in Renowned Explorers finished, and it's the best one so far - for the first time i managed to beat Final Boss in Final Location, and i finished with 4500 renown. My Captain, Bia, buffed thanks to her special ability was hitting like a truck (she dealt 240 DAMAGE IN ONE TURN. And she could easily deal 300 if i used different combo of skills) - my team Bia, Earl and Molly was pretty gimmicky but hell, wat a great gimmick it was!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    prTfD04.png

I got hit by @Firebird overnight. I guess he's on a pre-birthday offensive or something? (2 more days!)

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Trying to sleep on a couch in the hospital after my wife had a bit of a blood pressure scare.

I really need to finish a game so I can try TR2013.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Reason 15 for why it was a bad poll: for the people who want to play as a female character, adding a playable female character *is* improving the core game.

It's not improving the core game. It has zero effect on the gameplay.
    It is improving your user experience with the game.

It is a dumb poll though, it should have been something like; "Female character model or new vehicle/enemy."

Speaking of though, its been awhile since I loaded it up, is there even a way to see the character/your face? Couldn't they literally just add a dialog at the start that lets you choose female/male, and does nothing?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Another expedition in Renowned Explorers finished, and it's the best one so far - for the first time i managed to beat Final Boss in Final Location, and i finished with 4500 renown. My Captain, Bia, buffed thanks to her special ability was hitting like a truck (she dealt 240 DAMAGE IN ONE TURN. And she could easily deal 300 if i used different combo of skills) - my team Bia, Earl and Molly was pretty gimmicky but hell, wat a great gimmick it was!

How gamechanging is that DLC, actually?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    So I finished klocki this morning. If I counted right there are 80 levels with some differing (and better) concepts than the version up on Kongregate. Sadly, the "pull lever to rotate a play area" sections come back and combine with one of the new concepts in a less than spectacular way.

I don't know if it's technically a spoiler, but that new concept is sliding block mechanics. It's more forgiving than regular ones because there are always (that I can remember) at least 2 blank spaces, but I hate sliding block puzzles so maybe you won't be as bothered by it as I was.

All in all, still a great collection of spatial puzzles, and it's only $0.89 right now. Even with 2 mechanics I didn't like I still made it through in under an hour of play time so you shouldn't be banging your head against the wall for too awful long an any given level.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Fuck slider puzzles.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

How gamechanging is that DLC, actually?

Hard to say, but now you can pick what bonus every found treasure gives you, which allows easier concentrating on collecting gold / fame / research. Also, campfre stories are pretty cool, but it takes some time before you can use them all.

We also get 2 new Expeditions - i only finished 3 stars-one and it's pretty cool, i didn't try 5 stars-one yet.

Asthariel on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Fuck slider puzzles.

I'm sure there's a trick to solving them, but I've always been terrible at them and just randomly move crap around until I get it.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Fuck slider puzzles.

I'm sure there's a trick to solving them, but I've always been terrible at them and just randomly move crap around until I get it.

Not that it's on Steam (which is probably some small blessing), but Silent Hill: Homecoming's sliders were like this for me. Took frickin' ever. Hardly the worst thing about that game (hello Deputy Wheeler!), but plenty aggrevating.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Sliding puzzles aren't that bad. Depending on the size of the puzzle you either do the top and left side first (usually. might depend on the location of the blank space) and then deal with a smaller grid in the lower right or you just snake the tiles in the right order if it isn't a very big puzzle. Figuring out where the blank space is makes it possible to reverse engineer the order.

Does take a bit of patience to complete them but I never minded those puzzles.

Isorn on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Reason 15 for why it was a bad poll: for the people who want to play as a female character, adding a playable female character *is* improving the core game.

It is a dumb poll though, it should have been something like; "Female character model or new vehicle/enemy."

Speaking of though, its been awhile since I loaded it up, is there even a way to see the character/your face? Couldn't they literally just add a dialog at the start that lets you choose female/male, and does nothing?

Nope, you can't see yourself or hear yourself. It's possible that they have a pile of 3rd person cutscenes and dialog all recorded for release, but I haven't seen any of it yet.

As far as wolves go, The Long Dark has a disclaimer at the start of the game that says something along the lines of "We're portraying all this wildlife as bloodthirsty because it's a game, please don't run out and slaughter things". Because wolves in The Long Dark as absolute jerks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    So, episode 4 of King's Quest....kinda sucks. Like, I really disliked it, and I rarely strongly dislike anything. I really only finished it in hopes episode 5 is better.

The majority of the chapter are basically a bunch of puzzle rooms. Lots of sliding block puzzles and whatnot, so not even like adventure game puzzles, but just general boring puzzles. And the game's not made for them. Most puzzle games give you an easy reset (or better yet, don't let you lock yourself into a fail state at all). In here you can fuck a puzzle that has tons of animations and takes forever, but not realize it until toward the end, and you can't even just start again, you have to basically ride things out or purposefully fail early. Or another puzzle that takes place over three stories but makes you use the game's slow climbing mechanics do go between levels.

Just, ugh, I have no clue how they thought focusing primarily on puzzle rooms was a good idea. The meager story bits are actually pretty good, but are few and far between. Wonder if it's just a budgetary measure because the game hasn't exactly been setting the charts on fire.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

Core game != core gameplay. The core game can be defined as anything that makes up the basic experience the game provides. For some people playing as a character of their preferred gender is a big part of that, even if you never see the character.

This discussion has been closed.