Options

[Steam]: Your game library has increased. (-1 to your backlog skill)

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2016
    Morkath wrote: »
    Yo dudes I am this close to giving away some copies of Battlerite just so more people post in the thread about it

I'll do it

Don't think I won't do it

I feel like I've heard of this. Is this a moba?

It's a moba-like, distilled and refined around 2v2 or 3v3 fights. No laning, upgrading, items or anything like that, just pick a hero and get into a best of 5 match (each round being 2 minutes). It's also slightly more actiony than a moba in that you use WASD to control your character (instead of click to move), and you have 9 abilities instead of the usual 4-5. Also unlike a moba the fights are less hectic, and it's easier to counter and react to what your opponents are doing. It's still on the fast/twitch side, and managing all of your abilities can be overwhelming at first, but once you learn a character it starts to feel a lot less chaotic.

I highly recommend it. It feels very finished from a gameplay standpoint, I haven't run into any bugs and the heros all feel well balanced. But if you aren't sure if it's a game you'd like you can always just wait until it goes free-to-play next year and check it out then.

"It's a moba-like, it just removes everything that would make it a moba."

That's an isometric arena shooter.

I haven't played it, but from what I have seen / heard, it is absolutely nothing like a moba.

The honest truth is, MOBA is the most accurate term to describe Battlerite. Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. There are no lanes, no minions, no towers. You still control one character and have abilities with cooldowns just like the other games that we've all played. But you're dropped into an arena with enemy players and you're told to kill them all before they kill you.

It takes the Dota/LoL/Smite/HotS formula and distills it down to 3-5 teamfights of 2 minutes or less. That's it, that's the game.

And yes, it does have quite a lot in common with something like Quake. But instead of a first-person shooter, you control a hero dude who has 9 unique abilities that each do different things.

Eh. As soon as you have removed the laning, I would say it ceases to be a moba. The core element that distinguishes MOBA's from other genres, is two teams moving across a field to "capture territory" and progress to the enemies base. The items are used in a lot of them to allow the users to create distinct builds, but aren't vital for the gameplay, I would argue the AI being present IS important. However some games call themselves a moba and have removed them (Fractured Space). Having abilities with cooldowns is a part of mobas, but is in no way a distinctive feature of them. Lots of games make use of them.

I fully agree MOBA's are a mis-named genre, but fighting in an arena doesn't make it a moba.

It is literally just an isometric action game. It looks like it plays a lot like Magicka MP, except instead of making your spells they are on a single button.
    I think we can all agree, that Magicka isn't a moba?
    Nor is last stand mode in DoW2.

Team Based Arena Action Game is the most accurate descriptor you can give to it.
    TBAAG!

Wait, that's terrible, lets not use that.

Morkath on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The guy behind Eldritch and Neon Struct has a new game out, Slayer Shock:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/501860/

It is about vampire hunting and apparently has a TV show format.

Graphics are rough but that hasn't stopped his previous games from being fun.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Battlerite is a lot more action oriented compared to most MOBAs, and I don't mean in the sense of just it being a team deathmatch mode. The controls themselves share more with action games and isometric shooters (you move with WASD for instance compared to LoL/Dota's clicking) than RTS like the big ones.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Think about what happens in League and Dota in a match. You play a single character with abilities unique to that character. You begin at level 1, you gather gold and experience and items until you are able to take map objectives. The eventual goal is to kill the enemy base.

Think about what happens in Battlerite. You play a single character with abilities unique to that character. Kill the enemy team. Do that 3 times and you win.

I'm not saying Battlerite is in the same genre as DotA 2 or League. But it definitely borrows the combat from that genre and feels like you're playing a teamfight in one of those games. So calling them similar is not a stretch; there is a reason every news article coming out is comparing Battlerite and DotA 2/League/Smite/HotS.

This seems like one of those arguments similar to "Is Bloodborne in the Lovecraftian Horror genre?" that keeps popping up. It's really easy to compare Battlerite to those other games because the combat is basically wholesale lifted from them. They're not part of the same genre, but I keep wanting to use the term MOBA because it feels like it describes the game well.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Those two examples sound nothing alike.

I also play a single character with abilities unique to that character in an RPG, an MMO, any game with multiple class choices.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Personally, I've been really enjoying the new expansion in my favorite MOBA, Destiny.

• Options
    The genres are so similar that everyone, literally everyone I've met who plays it brings up MOBAs as a comparison point.

Also I find it hilarious that people get so up in arms about what MOBA can and cannot be applied to as a descriptive term, considering Riot made that term up and popularized it just so their game wouldn't be called a DotA-like.

@cB557 When introducing Destiny to a new player, do you compare it to League of Legends? Why not? Why do you think people compare Battlerite to League of Legends and not Destiny?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Love TBAAG, @Morkath. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    People and companies call lots of things mobas that are not actually mobas. Because mobas are popular right now, and it is an easy way to get eyes on your product.

Doesn't make it true.

@Iolo
    Hah thanks. It was a happy accident. I typed out the name, and the acronym without really reading it. Didn't notice what I had actually spelled out until after I had posted. :X

Morkath on
  • Options
    People and companies call lots of things mobas that are not actually mobas. Because mobas are popular right now, and it is an easy way to get eyes on your product.

Doesn't make it true.

@Iolo
    Hah thanks. It was a happy accident. I typed out the name, and the acronym without really reading it. Didn't notice what I had actually spelled out until after I had posted. :X

It also doesn't make it an invalid comparison or makes the games dissimilar. Looks like we're at an impasse.

Hey I heard about this cool new software called Steam, anyone else heard of that?

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    MOBA or not, Battlerite looks boss. I've been pointing it out to friends of mine but I think we're all waiting for it to be released and be free.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Nope.

Although I did notice the battle.net launcher apparently lets you make chat rooms now. Slowly catching up to steam features.

e:
    Does battlerite limit character choices per team (no dupes)? That's honestly one thing I reaaaaally hate from games that are pretending to be moba-likes.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Nope.

Although I did notice the battle.net launcher apparently lets you make chat rooms now. Slowly catching up to steam features.

e:
    Does battlerite limit character choices per team (no dupes)? That's honestly one thing I reaaaaally hate from games that are pretending to be moba-likes.

I'm like 95% sure that you can't have duplicate characters on the same team. You can have mirror matches though, that's totally fine. But I've never seen two of the same character on the same team, and I've played for about 15 hours.

• Options
    Found a video.

Looks like you choose your character, then matchmake into a match. So probably no duplicates, but still gets around the "I can't play the character I want because someone else already picked them" bs.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Hey peeps, any recommendations for dealing with carpal tunnel? Makes a lot of KBAM PC gaming pretty uncomfortable.

1. See a doctor.
    2. Sitting up straight at my desk and using a split keyboard reduce my pain a ton. I have a trackball at work and that's nice, too, but they're butts for gaming.

Almost entirely agree, but as a counterpoint I've been gaming on a trackball for years (specifically this one) and never had any problem with it. It's an adjustment from a regular mouse, but it's totally doable, and they're nice if you don't have a lot of desk space.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Will be interested in hearing how the Steam version of Quantum Break holds up.
    Hopefully they cleaned up some of their problems, but I'm not super optimistic.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

By all accounts, most Xbone games that have been ported to PC have run distinctly better than the console counterpart. Recore is a mess on Xbone, but is notably less buggy and runs far better on PC.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Aegeri wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »

By all accounts, most Xbone games that have been ported to PC have run distinctly better than the console counterpart. Recore is a mess on Xbone, but is notably less buggy and runs far better on PC.

Actually, Recore was apparently the rare exception.

Gears of War Ultimate and Rise of the Tomb Raider on Windows 10 both had issues, and it sounds like the new Forza game has optimization problems.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    And Quantum Break was already released on PC a bit ago on the Windows store requiring Windows 10. And that seemed to have a number of issues. But now they're publishing it to Steam alongside their collector's edition for XBoxOne. No idea if there's supposed to any improvements, but theoretically it would at least lose some of the limiting factors the Windows store added. Like the differences between the Win version of Rise and the Steam one.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The only MOBA I ever liked was Solstice Arena. 3 mini lanes, 3v3 combat, and fast buying system. Too bad Zynga killed it. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The only MOBA I ever liked was Solstice Arena. 3 mini lanes, 3v3 combat, and fast buying system. Too bad Zynga killed it. :(

Oh hey, I played that a bit. Even tested it (I worked there for a bit right around the time they bought the Solstice Arena studio). It was remarkably fun and worked really well on mobile.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Repost!
    signature.png

• Options

Have you tried heroes of the storm?

I can't stand a lot of aspects of normal moba's, and yet still find HOTS pretty fun.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    HotS is very fun. It's super fast, has more objective based maps, no last hitting, no items, shared team experience, and unique heroes based on Blizzard franchises.

I've actually been enjoying it more than Dota because games usually last 15-20 minutes instead of 45-60 minutes.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    HotS is very fun. It's super fast, has more objective based maps, no last hitting, no items, shared team experience, and unique heroes based on Blizzard franchises.

I've actually been enjoying it more than Dota because games usually last 15-20 minutes instead of 45-60 minutes.

I play HOTS every day. I was never interested in MOBAs...they all looked crazy boring to me and the mechanics of last hitting, items, etc looked boring. But HOTS...HOTS is clean. I love that damn game.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've never tried HotS but it looks like it could be fun. I'd like my MOBA to be 10 minutes or less if possible.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    co-op vs AI matches are ~5-10m once you know what you are doing.
    Player matches vary depending on the matchup.

You should give it a try.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I've never tried HotS but it looks like it could be fun. I'd like my MOBA to be 10 minutes or less if possible.

It won't be 10 minutes really ever...except maybe 1 in 200 games, but they're usually between 13-20. 1 in 100 will be 30 minutes, but that's it. It really is a great game and I only started playing in July.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Now kiss.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Have you ever looked at Vainglory? Streamlined mobile MOBA with a pretty good roster to choose from. 3v3 in two modes. Battle Royale which drops the map to a single lane, assigns heroes at random and starts everyone at level 4 with 2000 gold and usually lasts around 7-8 minutes. Or Standard which is still one lane but adds a large jungle with a few objectives and a potent boss at the 15 minute mark. Standard matches are longer, usually more like 15-25 minutes. For Standard everyone chooses their own hero and starts at level 1 with 300 gold.

I like it far more than i expected to. One of my most played games lately.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Ok, done with my first playthrough of borderlands the pre sequel. I like the story in this one far better than the first two! I also feel some empathy with handsome jack. The nod with sterwin at the end was pretty great too. However, this game has all of the things on my "don't do this" game elements. Need harder enemies? Add shields and more hp! Drop entirely useless combos of weapons everywhere! Melee boosting sniper rifles. Make it incredibly difficult to get the weapon type you like because it's all random! Throw completely damage specific checks at you with no warning and no control over the weapons you get! Hello entire end area and especially end boss!

I mean it's a fun world, I loved moon bouncing. Loved the cars, the jokes, the story, but man I hope bl3 changes some of the actual gameplay bits a bit. I feel like the original game had unique creatures, each with a weak point you could critical hit reliably with practice. Not so on the creatures in this one. At least they added the ability to destroy the o2 masks. That was pretty fun. Overall, worth playing, but I'm not sure I'll stick around for true vault hunter mode once a few other games drop this fall.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Love TBAAG, @Morkath. <3

I think it should be re branded.

Team-Battle Arena Game, or T-BAG.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Love TBAAG, @Morkath. <3

I think it should be re branded.

Team-Battle Arena Game, or T-BAG.

Team Oriented Struggle Supporting Every Decision

Simple And Lasting Against Defeat

• Options
    ElderPaoElderPao Registered User regular

signature.png

Congrats @Kalnaur !

signature.png

And @Jaunty !

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Also solo'd the BL:PS raid boss just now. As long as you have the different damage type weapons and they don't suck terribly it's quite doable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The guy behind Eldritch and Neon Struct has a new game out, Slayer Shock:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/501860/

It is about vampire hunting and apparently has a TV show format.

Graphics are rough but that hasn't stopped his previous games from being fun.

Will buy and confirm if it has the Best Slide In Videogames™

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So I am having a shitty week due to car collision issues, that may end up getting shittier when I get final estimates. I feel like doing something nice for someone would help cheer me up a bit.

signature.png

Also, more people should be playing Scorched Earth.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Hey peeps, any recommendations for dealing with carpal tunnel? Makes a lot of KBAM PC gaming pretty uncomfortable.

Someone mentioned using a wrist splint and I think that's a good idea. Support is good. My keyboard tray has wrist support built in and it's at a comfortable angle. It's not too low or too high. It's just right. Any lower/higher and my wrist would be at an angle putting pressure on it. Other than that when it acts up I take a break from gaming and/or take more breaks/shorter sessions and/or avoid super clicky games. If you've got full blown carpal tunnel though you might want to see a doc about it.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I see Black Ops 3 is free to play this weekend. Is this the full game or just the multiplayer again?

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    People are talking about MOBAs in here again so it's time for me to give a pitch for my absolute favorite variation on the genre, which is the multiplayer mode in Blades of Time. It's a 1v1 mode from a standard action game perspective, with towers and creeps and boss creeps and is just super fun; I spent four times as long with it then I did with the single player game.

It regularly goes on sale for peanuts and I strongly recommend; it's not the pure fanservice game the box art might suggest.

This discussion has been closed.