As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battlerite]: Fast-Paced Arena Hero Brawler!

• CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    There is lots of disagreement about which are the most noob-friendly heroes. I think Croak is good. I don't know who the "stealth guy" is but the way to counter him is to kill him dead.

Referring to Croak, sorry! He seems to be in every video or stream I've watched so far. Learning how to counter stealth is one of the first things I always try to learn in games with stealth characters. If I don't then those characters get annoying really fast

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You aim where you think he is and if you hit him, damage numbers show up.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Played about 4 hours of this last night, mostly Bakko and Ashka

really loving it. fun fast games, good queue times, balance seems great (with rook being the exception, dude seems to need some tweaks as he seems to be worst melee, and shifu being the best melee)

hit around 2200

anyone here for some games? add me fRAWRst

J3qcnBP.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Gonna pick this up and give it a try. Is the community as bad as other MOBAs?

edited October 2016
    The game defaults to chat turned off, which is super welcome

losses are at max 6 minutes stomp, up to a 10 minute to the wire. the short time for matchmaking and matches themselves lead to "just one more" sessions

gonna try to turn on chat tonight and see how "bad" it is, but so far i am digging it alot

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    Gonna pick this up and give it a try. Is the community as bad as other MOBAs?

My teammate left in my first 2vs2, in the final round (it was 2-2, close one!). I dunno if he just had to leave, or was mad at me or at the game. Chat is disabled by default so I'm not sure :)

Question for people that have played this a bit:

Should you always try to stay around your teammate or should you try and hold mid if everyone is fighting off to the sides?

orb sniping is very powerful, with many characters being able to do it from near end of arena (boomerang gal can do 1 M1, 1 M2 and get it)

separating is death for alot of characters; having your rook miss a charge and end up on the other side of the map while you get mauled 2v1 is almost guaranteed loss

J3qcnBP.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It's a difficult thing because you're supposed to take and hold mid, but most people are just going to run off. Unless you're pushing them all the way to their starting area (in which case you're holding mid anyway), there's really no need to, especially if you're ranged.

If you can split and take your 1v1, that's a decent choice. If you can take the rune quickly while your teammate is offscreen, go for it. Most characters have strong enough defence mechanisms to get away with that.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    also found masterbattlerite.com

track win% and mmr

http://masterbattlerite.com/profile/783179164361568256

my sweet sweet 60% win rate as rook 8-)

J3qcnBP.png
    so ive seenc onflicting reports on baako lvl 1 battlerites

some people swear by the bulwark shield bash as weaken is a huge 50% and it can be clutch in some melee matchups

other people say adrenaline rush dps is needed to make him not completely blow

hard to say which I prefer

rook's smash for q stuns seems to easily be his best lvl 1 battlerite pick

J3qcnBP.png
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Had a game earlier tonight where I 1v2'd a Shifu and Paloma as Ashka after my teammate Sirius died. They got me to 1 no-bullshit-word-is-bond health when I dropped the perfect Q and killed them both after kiting and poking them for a solid 40 seconds. My hands were shaking so hard, I had to take a 10 minute break before I could queue up again.

This game is amazing. SO fun.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    you know there's a personal highlights tab in the profile menu. You can save your favourite replays and post them for others to see.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Oh, shit! That's awesome. :)

I've been playing too much. Turns out it was a Paloma and Freya, and it was 3 health instead of 1. But man - it was a nailbiter for sure!

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Bought two copies of this for my friend and I today. Game is pretty sick, super fast fights, tons of teamwork involved. I've only played the gunslinger so far but she's awesome. Feels very organic for me.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I actually didn't know that apparently a bunch of the Team FourStar crew voiced characters in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpXvw9HHhVU

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    @KoopahTroopah @Undead Monkey we should play some 3s!

J3qcnBP.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    That feeling when you pull off a perfect jetpack with Iva to coat them in burning oil, and when landing nail the rocket launcher shot to kill someone.

Mwah. C'est magnifique. 8-)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch

I feel like writing a bunch of new player impressions about this game so here goes.

First off, the game is super fun. There was (and still is) a definite learning curve for me, and I think they need to improve brand new player matchmaking some, but as soon as I won my first 1vs2 I was hooked.

The pacing of matches is particularly novel to me. Dividing the game up into short rounds makes the pacing feel completely different than other MOBAs. It reminds me more of a 2-D fighting game. I like the pacing because stomps go by faster and you always feel tempted to play another match because they don't take forever to finish. Max health loss, sudden death, and the "comeback" energy your teammates drop when they die all seem like well designed mechanics.

Game size is interesting as well. I've only played 2vs2's so far and the 1vs1's and 2vs1's that often happen are super tense. I've played one round to a draw so far where I shot my E as Shifu right as the enemy Ashka shot me with something and the projectiles killed us both. The game even slowed down to show my projectile hit him and then his hit me.

Presentation is a mixed bag. I love the music, and the character visuals are pretty solid. I'm finding the voices to be pretty bad for the majority of the cast, both in voice acting and in the actual lines they say. The maps look great and I love the match start animations where you ride in on the platforms. In game visuals are fantastic and feel clean, which is pretty important for such a fast paced game.

The progression system feels underwhelming to where I don't really care about it. Skins tend to be boring. The chests don't feel satisfying to earn or open. The dual currencies are confusing at first and the green currency items cost way too much for what I've earned of it so far.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I just played this for like five hours and need to sleep. Got to grade 9 in my opening matches.

Oh god I've missed you PsychoPomp and Alch.

Gunner too, just not quite as much. I'd love some old school skins based on the old designs.

Most of the cosmetics are assumed to be WIPs. It is early access, after all. Their pricing might change, but I doubt it. The game will be f2p at launch, and they'll probably broaden the free hero rotations, but they want to charge for something.

I wouldn't expect any other big progression systems since the forced progression stuff is basically what killed their previous game.

Some classic skins would be nice as well.

stream
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Also for new heroes Jade is absolutely the simplest. Even if playing her well requires pretty good game knowledge to manage your outs and not get caught.

Page- wrote: »
    Most of the cosmetics are assumed to be WIPs. It is early access, after all. Their pricing might change, but I doubt it. The game will be f2p at launch, and they'll probably broaden the free hero rotations, but they want to charge for something.

I wouldn't expect any other big progression systems since the forced progression stuff is basically what killed their previous game.

Some classic skins would be nice as well.

Yeah I'm assuming they'll make at least one more big pass on the progression stuff before they come out of early access.

Also for new heroes Jade is absolutely the simplest. Even if playing her well requires pretty good game knowledge to manage your outs and not get caught.

I'm slowly going through all the heroes to get a feel for each one. I tried Jade in a 2vs2 last night and got absolutely murdered by a Shifu. I do like how simple her kit is but I must not be very good at managing her escapes :)

edited October 2016
    There's tons of value in playing the keep away game with Jade by stringing your stuns, invis, snipe from a far, run away, repeat until ult. Don't get me wrong, when I lose with her I looooooooooooooooose hard, but I've already pulled some miraculous maneuvers to turn the tide on some games.

KoopahTroopah on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Cyrenic wrote:

I'm slowly going through all the heroes to get a feel for each one. I tried Jade in a 2vs2 last night and got absolutely murdered by a Shifu. I do like how simple her kit is but I must not be very good at managing her escapes :)

It's mostly that a good Shifu is going to be terrifying for a ranged character to deal with. You have to dodge his javelins so he can't catch up to you and also time his counter so he wastes it and doesn't get a free teleport behind you. It's a tough matchup, and I recommend playing Shifu a couple of games to see what his weaknesses are.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Cyrenic wrote:

It's mostly that a good Shifu is going to be terrifying for a ranged character to deal with. You have to dodge his javelins so he can't catch up to you and also time his counter so he wastes it and doesn't get a free teleport behind you. It's a tough matchup, and I recommend playing Shifu a couple of games to see what his weaknesses are.

I have played some Shifu games. It got to the point where I thought "If I keep playing this guy my MMR is going to spike and I won't be able to play other characters effectively". It seems like he punishes a lot of the common mistakes at the skill rating I'm playing in right now.

I was all excited for the Overwatch Halloween patch but when I sat down to play some games last night all I could do was spam Bakko games. The hooks are in deep.

Highlight of the night: Charging a Lucie out of the play area in sudden death. Killed us both ending in a draw. Totally worth it.

2500 get!

learning alot of the matchups, but mostly sticking between rook and bakko (im a scrub who needs the extra health)

game continues to be alot of fun! add me! im fRAWRst there, wanna play more duo and triple queue

J3qcnBP.png
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    2500 get!

learning alot of the matchups, but mostly sticking between rook and bakko (im a scrub who needs the extra health)

game continues to be alot of fun! add me! im fRAWRst there, wanna play more duo and triple queue

I've been sitting around 1700 as I try and get the basics of each character down. That way, when I settle on a main, I at least know how the different characters play.

I'll be sure to add you. My gaming schedule tends to be limited and sporadic, but I usually play around midnight eastern give or take 30 minutes. I'll have more time than usual Wednesday and Thursday of this week to play, so if you're around those days we might try and get some duo's in. If you don't mind playing with an absolute scrub :)

On that note, what do you do to counter Rook other than dodge his charge and not set off his counter? I haven't played him yet but he tends to be pretty effective my games. The community seems to think he's easy to play against, though, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

edited October 2016
    Rook is considered on the weaker end of the tier list, but right now theres no real top tier. every char is pretty viable

rooks failure is his lack of invincibility except for his counter (bakko space makes you invincible during the air time for example). any rook to starts a match with space should be dps's down hard, he had no real way to mitigate damage other then nailing a counter

making him miss a counter basically turns him into a easy melt target. his boulder toss is his best disengage but its travel time makes it easy to avoid

stay away from walls as with 1 meter he has a 3s incapacitate. bait the counter and then punish harsh as even point blank. his has a huge hurtbox and his m2 melee has a longer cd than most other m2

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    I played Rook last night to get a handle on his abilities and ended up doing way better with him than I've been doing on other characters. I rarely get MVP of a round and I was getting it almost every round my team won. His aggressive playstyle must be pretty good at my MMR, where players aren't great at using their escapes optimally.

Rook is a lot of fun to play and I find his kit pretty intuitive. I suspect I'll be playing a lot more of him when I start playing fewer characters and try to get my MMR higher.

I think the current map issue is that there are too many walls and not enough pillars to play with. Light of sight is important, and in BLC it felt like you could do a lot more with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhlArd8OzuI

stream
    Huge patch tomorrow: http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/571221603308573812

Two new heroes, new map, Halloween chests, and a ton of balance changes.

The rook buffs are real

J3qcnBP.png
    Patch should be live! Maintenance was around 2 hours afaik

Im at work for the next 6 but am itching to play with new buffed rook and the crypt warden (i love me some dot heroes)

J3qcnBP.png
    Patch looks rad. Excited to play it!

It took me a lot of games to get proficient with Ashka but I'm glad I stuck it out. He's one of my favorite characters now. His mobility skills are a lot of fun to use.

I guess he's extremely popular because I see him in most of my games. Is he considered OP?

Cyrenic wrote: »
    It took me a lot of games to get proficient with Ashka but I'm glad I stuck it out. He's one of my favorite characters now. His mobility skills are a lot of fun to use.

I guess he's extremely popular because I see him in most of my games. Is he considered OP?

I don't think he's OP as he's still super squishy, but I do see him everywhere.

Hes arguably the best ranged DPS in the current meta/skill level of players

J3qcnBP.png
    I'm still a big Jade fan. She's awesome.

edited October 2016
    neewha patch notes rundown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJwDd0Vqy2M

dude has won multiple 2v2 events and is really really solid at this game (support main)

hes also the chillest and friendliest dude, he always answers twitch chat questions and in general just a great guy

twitch.tv/neewha

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png