As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlerite]: Fast-Paced Arena Hero Brawler!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Knew Seeker would be the next character added in. Not only because he's all over the loading screens, but I actually expected him to be in there from the start. He was top 3 scrub characters in BLC for sure, along with Gunner (Jade) and the little invisible lizard kid.

oh he doesn't have that obnoxious counter or the running tackle anymore thank the lord.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Completely hooked, love this game. Lvl10d Ashka and Shifu, going to play Jade for a bit. At the moment Ashka is by far my favorite, but Jade is pretty easy to deal damage with as well.

Regarding opponent combos, I'm having most trouble with Bakko and his goddamn shields + Jade. Some attacks seem to penetrate his reflect shield though like Shifu's harpoon, is there a list of these?

Alegis on
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Looks like there's a promotion through Razor that gets you a green warhound mount for free. I'll try it out this evening but so far players are having good luck with the promo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleRite/comments/59skh3/razor_giveaway_guaranteed_green_warhound/

• Options
    Unfortunately I saw that too late :( the war hound isn't available anymore, you can still enter for the big giveaway

• Options
    Alegis wrote: »
    Unfortunately I saw that too late :( the war hound isn't available anymore, you can still enter for the big giveaway

I forgot about it until yesterday and missed out as well.

On a more positive note, I've been learning Sirius and he's awesome. I love how much burst he can throw out.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    When is this game going F2P? It looks like fun, but dunno about paying $20 for something I may not enjoy more than Heroes of the Storm and so never play because they are too similar or something...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Q1 2017 is the date given. I'm surprised they don't just launch already. It's very fun, and if you play now (until tomorrow) you can get halloween chests so at least you'll look more unique.
    Cyrenic wrote: »
    On a more positive note, I've been learning Sirius and he's awesome. I love how much burst he can throw out.
    Sirius is ridiculous, extremely annoying with his teleports and stuns. Don't forget that you can attempt to teleport into a wall to get a free teleport back as an evasion trick :)

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    When is this game going F2P? It looks like fun, but dunno about paying $20 for something I may not enjoy more than Heroes of the Storm and so never play because they are too similar or something...

@kime

I've had the complete opposite problem, I'm neglecting other games because Battlerite is so much fun.

Halloween Overwatch? Awesome! Get home and play Battlerite.

League of Legends world finals? Man I need to play that more. Oh wait nm I can play 4 Battlerite matches in the time it takes to play one LoL game.

Battlerite is actually quite a bit different than MOBA's like LoL. It has a fighting game type feel to it, especially the way the rounds are paced. I wouldn't worry about it being too similar to other games.

The matchmaking is solid, I play with people my skill level, but man I either suck really bad at this game or people are super good at it. I feel like I'm getting pretty good at the game but I'm rated in the equvalent of low bronze (rank 8).

Things to think about before spending $$:

There's defintely a learning curve to the game and the WASD movement took me a bit to get used to. Progression system is ok but nothing near as polished as HotS or Overwatch. The early access heavily advertises "all new champs included forever" but the developers have indicated they don't want to lock away the roster to new players. All new champs might not be worth as much as it would be in other games.

Overall I'd recommend the game. I've definitely gotten $20 out of it!

• Options
    Whoever tried to get that battlemount but none were available, they gave new codes, so if you tried before you should have one now:

https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/giveaway-battlerite-razer-war-mount.17379/

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Been playing for the last 2 1/2 hours, bot-stomping on stream with some friends while we get the hang of a few characters. Right now I'm really digging on Taya, Ashka, and Iva

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Also there's a free weekend going on, if anyone wants to try out this game, which is still awesome.

• Options
    Also there's a free weekend going on, if anyone wants to try out this game, which is still awesome.

I do, excellent

Steam profile
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Anyone still playing this? Looks like it's still keeping reasonable numbers up (2k-4k peak) and just released seasonal play.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Yep, I play pretty often. They just added a new champion yesterday!

• Options
    So I am super bad at this, and I feel like the games are so short it's hard to get good insight into what I did wrong beyond "take less damage" and "do more damage."

• Options
    Did you die long before the rest of your team was low health? You were too aggressive and not defensive enough.

Did you die long after the rest of your team was low health? You were not aggressive enough.

Did the enemies get the center orb way more than your team? You did not control the center orb well enough.

Did enemies get away from you with low health, heal up, and then return to the fight? You did not finish off enemies well enough.

Did you spend much of the match stunned, rooted, snared, incapacitated, or paralyzed? Avoid these better.

Did you use your energy efficiently, either on EX abilities or on effective ultimates? Did you avoid having a full energy bar for long stretches of time? If not, try to do that sort of thing.

Did you hit enemy counters? If so, cut that out.

• Options
    So I want to learn by playing against players, but I seem to keep getting matched against players who are much better than me and with teammates who either are much better than me or just think they are. Either way it's a toxic chain of 3 round losses. I can't tell if the game just doesn't give a shit about MMR in quickmatch, or if there just aren't that many players at my MMR.

I tried League hoping it'd be better, but my first few placements put me with teammates who were...less than thrilled to have me.

I like the concept of the game and would love to improve, but it seems like I'm just continually getting fisted by the other team and reamed by my teammates at the same time. It's not a great newcomer experience, and I say that having played a ton of LoL and a good amount of DotA.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Went looking for this thread since it went F2P this week, was somewhat shocked to see I was the last poster almost a year ago? Would be curious if anyone is still playing this and had any current state impressions, looks like they almost broke 30k users on Steam today.

Edit: here’s the F2P launch trailer - https://youtu.be/KU6Ra-P746k

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    Went looking for this thread since it went F2P this week, was somewhat shocked to see I was the last poster almost a year ago? Would be curious if anyone is still playing this and had any current state impressions, looks like they almost broke 30k users on Steam today.

Oooo, I may play if it's F2P. How obnoxious is the pay structure?

Steam profile
  • Options

Oooo, I may play if it's F2P. How obnoxious is the pay structure?

Haven’t tried it yet (traveling) but it sounds like pretty standard moba fare? Earn currency from playing, buy heroes with currency, free hero rotation. Not sure how much else had changed recently.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    sweet! i loved battlerite but eventually stopped playing due to the small player pool/playing the same people all the time, hopefully that's fixed with f2p now, redownloading!

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Decent influx of new blood now.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    anyone else have issues getting this game to install? i was into BLC so i figured i should probably play this a bit but i can't actually get it to happen

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    This is not beginner friendly, wow. You start with like, 6-7 abilities (some on mouse, some on keyboard), then some of them can't be toggled with LShift to be a different, new ability. Some of these take different amounts of energy. Which hotkeys have alternate abilities and which ones take energy are different for each character (save the ultimate).

Your max health can both decrease and increase during a match.

Each character is customizeable at the beginning of each match with the titular Battlerites, which are 5 dimensions of choices that each independently alter your abilities' affects.

It's like... wow. There's a lot to try and digest to even play the game, let alone strategy.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Health doesn't increase, it only decreases. It's attrition for healing so the rounds don't take even longer than they already do.

stream
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Page- wrote: »
    Health doesn't increase, it only decreases. It's attrition for healing so the rounds don't take even longer than they already do.

Yes it does. I just did the tutorial today, they specifically talked about how the orbs restore max health

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Oh right, the orbs.

stream
  • Options
    I am really enjoying this the second go around. I hadn't played since before the UI overhaul, and hadn't really played much prior to that point anyway. The new progression system seems like a fun carrot on a stick compared to the prior system, and the battlerite loadouts I think are a better system than what they had in place previously. Now I just need to learn a few characters and their battlerites. Have been playing a lot of Pearl, and trying to learn Iva and Ashka. Melee seems intimidating.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    My friends and I are probably going to try this out again. I remember having fun with it in early access.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    It's fun still. I've been playing it with friends as the 'MOBA' of choice. Battles are super quick, the heroes are all unique and feel different to play, and there's no P2W BS that increase the odds of winning so it feels fairer than other games.

• Options
    It's fun still. I've been playing it with friends as the 'MOBA' of choice. Battles are super quick, the heroes are all unique and feel different to play, and there's no P2W BS that increase the odds of winning so it feels fairer than other games.

I haven't played much still, but aren't that sort of what Battlerites themselves are?

Steam profile
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I've seen some duelyst streamers play this and it looks interesting. Can this be played with a controller or is it strictly kbam?

• Options
    It's WASD movement with mouse aiming and 9 ability buttons. Controller would put you at a distinct disadvantage, I think, because you need to be kind of twitchy in the moment. Kind of like how someone playing with a controller in CS:GO would just get wrecked.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

I haven't played much still, but aren't that sort of what Battlerites themselves are?

Battlerites are basically talents. They're completely free, you're not paying to unlock them. The champions you have to pay/earn to unlock yes, but each week (I think week?) you can play a variation of 10 for free. None of which I would consider 'bad', just ones that work less well with others.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    My friends and I are probably going to try this out again. I remember having fun with it in early access.

I sort of had the opposite experience? Like it was fun in EA, but... the playerbase was so small, and that meant that everyone playing was like, HIGHLY TRAINED KILLERS

and i was just a lil' ol scrub boy

so i got stomped into the ground over and over and over and it was not fun in that respect

But now? Now there's an actual playerbase. Better matchmaking.

It feels WAY better now that it's matching me against appropriate opponents.

(p.s. thorn is my boyyyy)

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    It's WASD movement with mouse aiming and 9 ability buttons. Controller would put you at a distinct disadvantage, I think, because you need to be kind of twitchy in the moment. Kind of like how someone playing with a controller in CS:GO would just get wrecked.

ah ok cool, didn't realize there was that much going on

• Options
    Dibby wrote: »

I sort of had the opposite experience? Like it was fun in EA, but... the playerbase was so small, and that meant that everyone playing was like, HIGHLY TRAINED KILLERS

and i was just a lil' ol scrub boy

so i got stomped into the ground over and over and over and it was not fun in that respect

But now? Now there's an actual playerbase. Better matchmaking.

It feels WAY better now that it's matching me against appropriate opponents.

(p.s. thorn is my boyyyy)

I used to play Bloodline Champions, so I was probably one of the highly trained killers you mentioned. I imagine more fresh blood means that matchmaking isn't as brutal as it was back when there were like 1,000 players. It can be rough if you feel completely outclassed in a game like this. Fighting games have the same issue with player retention.

• Options

Battlerites are basically talents. They're completely free, you're not paying to unlock them. The champions you have to pay/earn to unlock yes, but each week (I think week?) you can play a variation of 10 for free. None of which I wouldn't consider as 'bad', just ones that work less well with others.

I hadn't looked into customizing those yet, but the impression I got was that you unlocked options with which you could use to customize your lookout via progression or boxes.

Glad to see I was mistaken and they are all freely available!

It does still seem fun. Just dense, haha. I'll keep playing for a bit at least

Steam profile
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I feel like Battlerite could be a gateway fighting game for my friends who don't play fighting games.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    l_g wrote: »
    I feel like Battlerite could be a gateway fighting game for my friends who don't play fighting games.

It's funny, because I was thinking of it as a gateway MOBA for those who don't play MOBAs.