As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero [chat] of Hoboken

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Due who is the band in ep 1. I need all their music
    All the musical acts in Luke Cage (very minor spoilers):

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thewrap.com/luke-cage-here-are-all-the-songs-heard-on-the-new-marvel-show-videos/amp/?client=safari

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "That boy neck longer than a Monday" is probably the funniest shit I've heard this week.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @DasUberEdward get on hs we got gold to get

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I wrote that up but remembered American tablespoons are different than Australian tablespoons so I converted and rounded up a bit

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Due who is the band in ep 1. I need all their music

Tony! Toni! Tone!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    What system again?

What kinda gamefeel?

How do you feel about diceless?

I'm doing D&D 5e

I ... don't know how to explain the gamefeel to you. I'm the DM. I'm not really 'playing' the game so much as making it.

And I have no reference to what diceless would be like so I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

i mean, what kind of feel are you going for with the game? High fantasy with loads of optimism? Swashbuckley fun? Dark and brooding?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    simonwolf wrote: »
    okay @DasUberEdward here you go, Simon's Patented Nikujaga Recipe That He Totally Didn't Steal From A Japanese Cookbook

what you need for four servings worth:
    one brown onion
    five large potatoes
    three tablespoons seseame oil
    7oz thin sliced beef (what I do is buy chuck and freeze it for two hours or so, so it firms up and gets easy to cut with a sharp knife)
    360ml dashi (or beef stock or whatever, you could use water but the extra flavour in the stock helps)
    three tablespoons soy sauce
    three tablespoons mirin
    three tablespoons sake or another cooking rice wine
    three tablespoons sugar
    one tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted in a saucepan

Cut your onion into slices, about two thirds of an inch wide. Peel your potatoes and cut 'em into either quarters or sixths depending on the shape. Heat your sesame oil in a saucepan and add your meat, slice by slice, so it doesn't stick. Saute for about a minute. Add your onions and potato, saute for another minute.

Add your dashi/stock, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for another 15 minutes to reduce the liquid, stirring every so often. Take it off heat when the liquid drops by a third or so.

Serve in a bowl, sprinkle with sesame, and have some rice on the side.

advanced notes: nikujaga is a super variable dish and you can add whatever to it, really - usually I chop up a couple of carrots and throw them in with the other veggies, as well, for some variation and bulk. I know people who put snow peas and other nonsense in there, but I keep it simple.

I do not know what mirin is and I don't think i've ever seen a brown onion but dang does this speak to my simple nature. Sounds absolutely delicious. It's been raining here for days on end and that may just be the kick off to the fall for me.

also the thing with chilling ground chuck? good idea!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    mirin is a rice wine that's sort of in between vinegar and sake

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i don't understand why, but imgur no longer lets me upload anything.

it asks me to prove i'm not a robot 5 times and then just stops functioning and hopes i go away.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    you can find it in most grocery store international aisles these days

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    onion-003.jpg

Normal Freaking Onions are brown. Could be one of them.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Drawed a thing, happy with it.

must be opposite day, ahyuck,

• Options
    i don't understand why, but imgur no longer lets me upload anything.

it asks me to prove i'm not a robot 5 times and then just stops functioning and hopes i go away.

maybe it's tired of your shit

maybe imgur wants you to ask how its day was once in a while

• Options
    Anyway, look at my Artist's Corner thread if you wanna see a new sketch that isn't pixel arts. i was happy with it at the end even if it is a bit spartan.

whatevs, criticism would be nice but not mandatory.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    The watchmen opening credits was everything Zach snyder does well, yeah. Vibrant images and pop music.

Then he makes an entire movie and

I did enjoy watchmen just fine though.

yeah I liked it a lot personally but I think even the biggest hater could agree that the intro is awesome

I think the comic book ending would have been cooler.
    I want my squid alien.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    okay @DasUberEdward here you go, Simon's Patented Nikujaga Recipe That He Totally Didn't Steal From A Japanese Cookbook

one brown onion
    five large potatoes
    7oz thin sliced beef (what I do is buy chuck and freeze it for two hours or so, so it firms up and gets easy to cut with a sharp knife)
    360ml dashi (or beef stock or whatever, you could use water but the extra flavour in the stock helps)
    three tablespoons mirin
    three tablespoons sugar

Cut your onion into slices, about two thirds of an inch wide. Peel your potatoes and cut 'em into either quarters or sixths depending on the shape. Heat your sesame oil in a saucepan and add your meat, slice by slice, so it doesn't stick. Saute for about a minute. Add your onions and potato, saute for another minute.

Add your dashi/stock, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for another 15 minutes to reduce the liquid, stirring every so often. Take it off heat when the liquid drops by a third or so.

advanced notes: nikujaga is a super variable dish and you can add whatever to it, really - usually I chop up a couple of carrots and throw them in with the other veggies, as well, for some variation and bulk. I know people who put snow peas and other nonsense in there, but I keep it simple.

I do not know what mirin is and I don't think i've ever seen a brown onion but dang does this speak to my simple nature. Sounds absolutely delicious. It's been raining here for days on end and that may just be the kick off to the fall for me.

Mirin is one of the essential Japanese condiments, it's basically a rice wine with a lower alcohol and higher sugar content. I think you should be able to pick it up at any grocery store with an Asian section, or just an Asian grocery store.

Brown onions are onions, I guess? Just, with a brown outside. I think you might call them yellow onions in the US because you're a weird mob.

You could probably make nikujaga with ground/minced beef but I prefer to do the sliced chuck beef route. It is more traditional and you get that delicious fall-apart beef thing going on.

Nikujaga is totes Japanese comfort food, it's one of those recipes that every family has their own variation on.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    S7VTDXZ.jpg

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Shirtless with a leather skirt is actually terrible freaking clothing for a hoplite, and a spear is a freaking thrusting weapon for crying out loud.

Though their diets weren't great, the should have been at least mid 5 ft. All of them were about the same height, you needed that for a shieldwall to work. He shouldn't have been that small.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I think the comic book ending would have been cooler.
    I want my squid alien.

I never could figure out why they would make that change. Audiences were too sensitive about 9/11?

• Options

one brown onion
    five large potatoes
    three tablespoons mirin
    three tablespoons sugar

Mirin is one of the essential Japanese condiments, it's basically a rice wine with a lower alcohol and higher sugar content. I think you should be able to pick it up at any grocery store with an Asian section, or just an Asian grocery store.

Brown onions are onions, I guess? Just, with a brown outside. I think you might call them yellow onions in the US because you're a weird mob.

You could probably make nikujaga with ground/minced beef but I prefer to do the sliced chuck beef route. It is more traditional and you get that delicious fall-apart beef thing going on.

Nikujaga is totes Japanese comfort food, it's one of those recipes that every family has their own variation on.

It is indeed what we call a regular ol onion.

I'll have to do some searching for mirin probably. I can't recall ever seeing it but I may have just overlooked it. Either way that is a dish I am making soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The watchmen opening credits was everything Zach snyder does well, yeah. Vibrant images and pop music.

yeah I liked it a lot personally but I think even the biggest hater could agree that the intro is awesome

the only problem with zach snyder is that he made more movies than 300 and Watchmen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    mirin is p commonplace. every kroger/safeway type mainstream grocery store should have it in the asian aisle.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

the only problem with zach snyder is that he made more movies than 300 and Watchmen.

Sucker Punch was such a goddamn mess.

• Options
    Oh, the other thing with nikujaga is that it gets better over time. It's still delicious when you've just made it, but there's something about leftover nikujaga that makes it even better the second and third time you heat it up.

• Options

Dawn of the Dead was good.
    h2977sk2omjb.jpg

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    just watched a youtube video on how to make nikujaga

'this recipe can be served to four people'

you mentioned it's an omnipresent comfort food so i thought she said poor people

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    just watched a youtube video on how to make nikujaga

'this recipe can be served to four people'

you mentioned it's an omnipresent comfort food so i thought she said poor people

You don't serve poor people. They serve themselves after everybody else has left.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Fuck, it's 2 am.

i guess i'll draw Lapis later today after sleeptimes.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    What is the deal with pedophiles always looking like pedophiles. I wouldn't think that'd be a thing that would have a distinctive look.

Probably something depressing about how we don't catch the ones who don't look like pedophiles.
    Z1oySl9.jpg?1

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    What is the deal with pedophiles always looking like pedophiles. I wouldn't think that'd be a thing that would have a distinctive look.

Probably something depressing about how we don't catch the ones who don't look like pedophiles.
    Z1oySl9.jpg?1

jesus.

Oh my god.

(I laughed too hard)

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh
    There are many early books that deserve to be updated to contemporary times and get hooked into the development of the metaplot, a lot of great but underused ideas that popped up in fiction anthologies have also caught my eye. To name some personal impulses: ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe” and ”Gypsies” (Should be called something like “Opre Roma!”) could use new editions in our age, as the horrors of the fear of the Other is again on the rise in Europe. I read a lot about the Ashirra and Middle Eastern WoD for obvious reasons. I think a lot of greatness is found in books like ”Love Beyond Death” and ”Ghouls – Fatal Addiction” and you’ll probably see us inspired by stories where the supernatural meets the mortal world a lot more. Also, Dark Ages of all kinds! Holy shit, there’s a lot of treasures there. I also love the first and second edition of Mummy…

Yeah, because if there is something I trust the new White Wolf to get right, it's updating that book.

• Options
    Sucker Punch was a creepy trip.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I didn't mean to piss people off with a joke spoiler. Do those happen a lot?

yeah unfortunately : (

it seems like you were just kidding but a common thing i see is someone get called out for spoilers, and the person who got called out gets extremely mad and defensive and either argues fiercely about whether it was really a spoiler or goes like SPOILER THERE ARE HUMANS WHOOPS GUESS I RUINED IT

i get a little bit that way when someone shh's me in a library or church or something

it sucks to get called out

lashing out about it makes people look goofy tho lel

it's so commonplace and goes wrong so often i just left chat for a bit after i asked for no talk outside of spoilers

it's philosophically infuriating because it seems like deliberately doing a thing in response to a polite request not to

but it's become so common and predictable you can often prevent it from being a problem so not always so bad

sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    S7VTDXZ.jpg

It seems like his gluttony got the better of him.

• Options
    Well they do look delicious.

• Options
    http://gizmodo.com/pagolins-earth-s-most-beautiful-and-trafficked-creatur-1787292903

What is up with China and Vietnam eating everything that moves?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Dawn of the Dead was good.
    h2977sk2omjb.jpg

that was a good remake. had no idea he directed it because he had not yet discovered his obnoxious style i guess

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Krathoon wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/pagolins-earth-s-most-beautiful-and-trafficked-creatur-1787292903

What is up with China and Vietnam eating everything that moves?
    "often likened to an artichoke with legs."

I mean, c'mon

Now I want to eat one too

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    what is up with eating anything that moves at all

#meatismurder

#veganforpay

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    in these verkosigan books the have vat meat and actual meat is like viewed as unspeakably primitive and i'm like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you crazy, real meat from real animals is fucking delish

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.