The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Android: Netrunner - Core Box 2.0 is officially announced! Rotations! Salt!

1235750

Posts

  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The news I actually want to hear: New head designer announced for Netrunner. ;P

    but... net murcur smoke... :(

    This machine kills threads.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    The news I actually want to hear: New head designer announced for Netrunner. ;P

    but... net murcur smoke... :(

    Sunday was my first time playing against Net Murcur. Welp, that was certainly a perpetual motion device of pain. It hard counters glacier, I think.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    The news I actually want to hear: New head designer announced for Netrunner. ;P

    maybe they'll move him to Destiny or L5R

    but really it would be a mixed blessing because FFG doesn't have any solid developers in their stable and more than likely the guy who replaces Damon in the far-flung future will be Brad Andres, who took an Eric Lang game and devved it into the ground

    Which game? Chaos in the Old World?

  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    The news I actually want to hear: New head designer announced for Netrunner. ;P

    maybe they'll move him to Destiny or L5R

    but really it would be a mixed blessing because FFG doesn't have any solid developers in their stable and more than likely the guy who replaces Damon in the far-flung future will be Brad Andres, who took an Eric Lang game and devved it into the ground

    Which game? Chaos in the Old World?

    no, Warhammer 40K: Conquest

    I mean it went away because GW terminated their license agreement with FFG, but the content after the core set had been really problematic since the beginning, and interest was already dying out just because the meta hadn't changed in a year

    Shorty on
    we gonna be alright
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    The news I actually want to hear: New head designer announced for Netrunner. ;P

    but... net murcur smoke... :(

    Sunday was my first time playing against Net Murcur. Welp, that was certainly a perpetual motion device of pain. It hard counters glacier, I think.

    yeah, it's pretty strong and has awful synergy with wizard/anarch.


    This machine kills threads.
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    what is the actual issue with where Damon is taking netrunner other than Weyland still being useless?

    anarch is getting 2 good cards, with lowish influence.

    Stealth is getting buffed for crim, and shaper is basically getting a new meta. criminal

    criminal is getting money and more useless breakers.

    Jintkei and HB are getting good ice to work with them.

    NBN gets CTM and power shutdown>boom silliness.

    and Weyland is getting at least one good piece of ice. that hasn't happened since... hive? tour guide? and there is the silly, not quite fast advance to look forward to next cycle.

    there's going to be a handful of playable decks, all of which will do poorly against other possibility relevant decks.

    and I might be able to score two notorieties in one turn. out of a stealth build.

    why the hate?
    it's not prison decks. it's not NBN kill+fast advance or food coats. DLR won't win consecutive worlds. it's netrunner.

    redx on
    This machine kills threads.
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    DLR could well win consecutive worlds, it's still a perfectly fine deck and probably will be next month

    but that's not the main thing, which is that Damon doesn't actually know how the game works (for evidence, just look at the fact that Paperclip shouldn't work as it is currently worded, and the fact that Damon thought Builder of Nations wouldn't have a negative interaction with Femme Fatale), and doesn't listen to his editors or playtesters when they tell him that cards don't work the way he wants or are overpowered

    that means that he designs cards that have to be errata'd or put on the MWL immediately, on a regular basis, which isn't healthy for the game, because those tools are meant to be deployed as a response to cards which have a deleterious effect on the meta, and one can reasonably infer that the frequent usage of these tools implies that the meta is frequently being threatened

    I will also add that even when he chooses to balance cards that he should have fixed in development, he does so in ways that I think are incorrect--either he issues errata to do what he thought the card would do to begin with but for whatever reason did not feel the need to fix before it started warping the meta (as with Wireless Net Pavilion), or he has to put them on the MWL, or he prints a card that just turns off the problem card (Rumor Mill being the best example)

    he is, in short, not interested in doing any of the work that you need to in order to curate an interesting metagame--he's a good designer, but a bad developer; he makes cards that have interesting text, but he has demonstrated that he should not have been entrusted with the degree of authority which he has

    Shorty on
    we gonna be alright
    ArcticLancer
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Wait, how shouldn't Paperclip work as it's worded

    also btw, about Core 2.0 discussion, the rumors have also been that any Core 2.0 would have cards from the first two cycles put into it, replacing some of the underwhelming cards in the original core.

    Cantido
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Wait, how shouldn't Paperclip work as it's worded

    also btw, about Core 2.0 discussion, the rumors have also been that any Core 2.0 would have cards from the first two cycles put into it, replacing some of the underwhelming cards in the original core.

    Fuuuuuck I'm glad I purchased working backwards from the present.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    DLR could well win consecutive worlds, it's still a perfectly fine deck and probably will be next month

    but that's not the main thing, which is that Damon doesn't actually know how the game works (for evidence, just look at the fact that Paperclip shouldn't work as it is currently worded, and the fact that Damn thought Builder of Nations wouldn't have a negative interaction with Femme Fatale), and doesn't listen to his editors or playtesters when they tell him that cards don't work the way he wants or are overpowered

    that means that he designs cards that have to be errata'd or put on the MWL immediately, on a regular basis, which isn't healthy for the game, because those tools are meant to be deployed as a response to cards which have a deleterious effect on the meta, and one can reasonably infer that the frequent usage of these tools implies that the meta is frequently being threatened

    I will also add that even when he chooses to balance cards that he should have fixed in development, he does so in ways that I think are incorrect--either he issues errata to do what he thought the card would do to begin with but for whatever reason did not feel the need to fix before it started warping the meta (as with Wireless Net Pavilion), or he has to put them on the MWL, or he prints a card that just turns off the problem card (Rumor Mill being the best example)

    he is, in short, not interested in doing any of the work that you need to in order to curate an interesting metagame--he's a good designer, but a bad developer; he makes cards that have interesting text, but he has demonstrated that he should not have been entrusted with the degree of authority which he has

    Wasn't WNP was before his tenure? Hard to blame him for that.

    I agree that Rumour mill and BoN are problematic implementations but I do like some of his other meta ideas - introduce some very powerful resources in tandem with corp cards to punish/destroy resources to incentivise counterplay.

  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I agree on MWL growing being a problem. I don't understand this game's Influence voodoo. I just netdeck, substitute as needed and check if something is Tournament Legal on Netrunner DB or not. Part of me would prefer the banhammer.

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Dis' wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    DLR could well win consecutive worlds, it's still a perfectly fine deck and probably will be next month

    but that's not the main thing, which is that Damon doesn't actually know how the game works (for evidence, just look at the fact that Paperclip shouldn't work as it is currently worded, and the fact that Damn thought Builder of Nations wouldn't have a negative interaction with Femme Fatale), and doesn't listen to his editors or playtesters when they tell him that cards don't work the way he wants or are overpowered

    that means that he designs cards that have to be errata'd or put on the MWL immediately, on a regular basis, which isn't healthy for the game, because those tools are meant to be deployed as a response to cards which have a deleterious effect on the meta, and one can reasonably infer that the frequent usage of these tools implies that the meta is frequently being threatened

    I will also add that even when he chooses to balance cards that he should have fixed in development, he does so in ways that I think are incorrect--either he issues errata to do what he thought the card would do to begin with but for whatever reason did not feel the need to fix before it started warping the meta (as with Wireless Net Pavilion), or he has to put them on the MWL, or he prints a card that just turns off the problem card (Rumor Mill being the best example)

    he is, in short, not interested in doing any of the work that you need to in order to curate an interesting metagame--he's a good designer, but a bad developer; he makes cards that have interesting text, but he has demonstrated that he should not have been entrusted with the degree of authority which he has

    Wasn't WNP was before his tenure? Hard to blame him for that.

    I agree that Rumour mill and BoN are problematic implementations but I do like some of his other meta ideas - introduce some very powerful resources in tandem with corp cards to punish/destroy resources to incentivise counterplay.

    I'd be more okay with this if it didn't become another one of these things where it's almost mandatory, and the options for dealing with it do not seem equally available to all corporations.


    As far as Damon goes, my problem isn't specifically with any of his cards yet, but rooted in how he has always spoken to the public about the game.
    I remember that interview AGES ago when he talked about there being a card they had found incredibly powerful in playtesting that never gained traction in the wild. He didn't specifically say what it was, but when Stronger Together was guessed, it seemed quite likely that was exactly the card. What he expects of the game is clearly different from how it comes to pass. But we'll come back to that.
    Then the MWL came along, and he had to defend why in the name of God Faust wasn't on it. Apparently we're all just bad at the game and everyone should be damaging the runner's hand. Because, you know, using your best tools - some of the only cards you can reliably expect to get to use - to inconvenience a deck that draws upwards of 7 cards a turn anyway really hates having to spend a few clicks to draw. But it's cool guys - NAPD is on the list now, a card that will struggle to see play at a time when GFI is released. ;D
    There's another random interview I remember where he boasted that he can't play competitively because he'd be too good at the game, but also he'd have too much knowledge of cards that haven't been released that it would confuse him what to expect. Maybe he was trying to joke around during this bit, but it just never felt this way. It didn't seem unlikely Damon believed he really would be the best Netrunner player around if he played "for serious." Even though throughout the game's life he has made wholly erroneous judgements on how the meta should develop, and repeatedly blamed players for using cards wrong rather than admitting problem cards were problems.

    @Shorty already summed it up well - he's not a bad guy to have on the team because he can do good things. He's an awful person to have leading the team because he has continuously shown he isn't good at evaluating the complete Netrunner-scape, and powers through opposition and differing view points. You don't want a guy who won't listen running the show.

    ArcticLancer on
    ShortyEpimer
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    I agree on MWL growing being a problem. I don't understand this game's Influence voodoo. I just netdeck, substitute as needed and check if something is Tournament Legal on Netrunner DB or not. Part of me would prefer the banhammer.

    I think the MWL has been fairly effective at toning down the power of decks without making them totally unworkable(prepaid kate aside, and that should maybe be revisited). You can still run the Anarch engine, it is just less consistent and you can clone chip parasites as much. NEH fast advance finally isn't the corp deck, and you have to think twice before including 3 eli. NAPD based off how current neutral agendas are made should have cost an influence.

    none of these cards need to be banned, you just can't build a deck that can do everything really really well. that opens the meta up some.

    i think it to this point has been a success. there's definite power creep at the moment, and maybe that will need to get dealt with. Rotation is going to shake things up a whole lot.



    rumor mill is a card known to exist and needs to get built around. if the corp can fast advance or play a current, all it's doing is creating a scoring window for the runner and doing a tempo hit. Basically forces not NEH to include more currents, and maybe makes them recursion targets. there's good in faction options for not Weyland, and scarcity of resources is relevant to most runners. it's strong. it shapes the meta and play. my biggest compliment is that it is Anarch instead of Crim or a neutral with influence.

    redx on
    This machine kills threads.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Dis' wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    DLR could well win consecutive worlds, it's still a perfectly fine deck and probably will be next month

    but that's not the main thing, which is that Damon doesn't actually know how the game works (for evidence, just look at the fact that Paperclip shouldn't work as it is currently worded, and the fact that Damn thought Builder of Nations wouldn't have a negative interaction with Femme Fatale), and doesn't listen to his editors or playtesters when they tell him that cards don't work the way he wants or are overpowered

    that means that he designs cards that have to be errata'd or put on the MWL immediately, on a regular basis, which isn't healthy for the game, because those tools are meant to be deployed as a response to cards which have a deleterious effect on the meta, and one can reasonably infer that the frequent usage of these tools implies that the meta is frequently being threatened

    I will also add that even when he chooses to balance cards that he should have fixed in development, he does so in ways that I think are incorrect--either he issues errata to do what he thought the card would do to begin with but for whatever reason did not feel the need to fix before it started warping the meta (as with Wireless Net Pavilion), or he has to put them on the MWL, or he prints a card that just turns off the problem card (Rumor Mill being the best example)

    he is, in short, not interested in doing any of the work that you need to in order to curate an interesting metagame--he's a good designer, but a bad developer; he makes cards that have interesting text, but he has demonstrated that he should not have been entrusted with the degree of authority which he has

    Wasn't WNP was before his tenure? Hard to blame him for that.

    I agree that Rumour mill and BoN are problematic implementations but I do like some of his other meta ideas - introduce some very powerful resources in tandem with corp cards to punish/destroy resources to incentivise counterplay.

    Eww, he sounds like a Hearthstone developer. No, this is Fun and Interactive! This is Fun! Look at all the fun we're having!

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think it would be awesome if Damon showed up after Worlds and completely destroyed the winner using a random player's deck.

    He says, "I tried to warn you all." before vanishing into a murder of crows.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    redxShortyNisi
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That's fine. At least then he'd have a stake to his claims.

    ShortyAnzekayNisiEpimer
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    Intervention's status is Shipping Now, on a side note.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    I agree on MWL growing being a problem. I don't understand this game's Influence voodoo. I just netdeck, substitute as needed and check if something is Tournament Legal on Netrunner DB or not. Part of me would prefer the banhammer.

    I think the MWL has been fairly effective at toning down the power of decks without making them totally unworkable(prepaid kate aside, and that should maybe be revisited). You can still run the Anarch engine, it is just less consistent and you can clone chip parasites as much. NEH fast advance finally isn't the corp deck, and you have to think twice before including 3 eli. NAPD based off how current neutral agendas are made should have cost an influence.

    none of these cards need to be banned, you just can't build a deck that can do everything really really well. that opens the meta up some.

    i think it to this point has been a success. there's definite power creep at the moment, and maybe that will need to get dealt with. Rotation is going to shake things up a whole lot.



    rumor mill is a card known to exist and needs to get built around. if the corp can fast advance or play a current, all it's doing is creating a scoring window for the runner and doing a tempo hit. Basically forces not NEH to include more currents, and maybe makes them recursion targets. there's good in faction options for not Weyland, and scarcity of resources is relevant to most runners. it's strong. it shapes the meta and play. my biggest compliment is that it is Anarch instead of Crim or a neutral with influence.

    I wasn't complaining about the power level of rumor mill

    strong cards are fine

    we gonna be alright
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Wait, how shouldn't Paperclip work as it's worded

    also btw, about Core 2.0 discussion, the rumors have also been that any Core 2.0 would have cards from the first two cycles put into it, replacing some of the underwhelming cards in the original core.

    let's say you run into a Wall of Static with a paperclip installed and an arbitrarily large amount of credits in your pool

    the way the card is supposed to work is the most intuitive one--you pay 2 total credits to boost strength by two and break up to 2 subroutines (in this case, 1)

    however, icebreakers can't interact with ice when their strength doesn't meet or exceed that of the ice, and in all the rules documentation we have, this means that until and unless a given breaker meets strength, paid abilities on that breaker cannot affect ice

    and because paid abilities don't have sequential effects (that is, everything in a paid ability happens all at once), you shouldn't be able to use paperclip's ability to boost strength and break subs against ice that is higher strength

    as the card is written, it should require you to spend 3 total credits to break wall of static--2 to match strength, and then another 1 because paperclip wasn't able to interact with wall of static until after the first paid ability had fully resolved

    obviously this is not how the card was intended, and you shouldn't play it that way; this is just an illustration of the fact that Damon designs cards without fitting them into existing game framework, and often directly contradicts it

    this is why there still isn't a ufaq for blood money--he hasn't been able to explain how paperclip works the way it does without requiring a rules change

    we gonna be alright
    ArcticLancer
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I complain about Rumor Mill because it was another nail in the coffin of the already very dead glacier and that makes me sad

    Shorty
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I wanted to be pro Damon, but, it's been like three sets now? And all the good factions are still good, and the factions with problems still have the same problems.

    How hard would it have been to print three pieces of Weyland ice in a pack?

    ShortyAnzekay
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I complain about Rumor Mill because it was another nail in the coffin of the already very dead glacier and that makes me sad

    if all rumor mill did was require you to use Jackson howard more proactively, and turn off some other really impactful assets, I'd be mostly fine with it, though I still object to cards that blank cards just fundamentally

    I cannot fathom why it needed to do that and also stomp on Ash/Caprice

    Shorty on
    we gonna be alright
    Anzekay
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    It *is* kind of funny that Rumor Mill actually helps a few assets.

    Salem, for instance. While RM's active you don't have to forfeit the agenda to rez him.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
    Shorty
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular

    I put off writing this several times...

    Some people seem to know exactly what is going on in FFG, and Damon seems to be the devil. I just don't care about templating issues or that he's putting strong cards in the game. I care if the game is fun or not. I'm still enjoying Netrunner, if you aren't I suggest you take a break.

    I know this may sound harsh, but it's not intended that way. I just don't think the game is in a bad place and we shouldn't be complaining constantly imo.



    PMAversEthearedxAnzekayNisitzeentchlingEpimerBogart
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    At the minimum it feels a bit like we're skirting the edge of a certain Edict, and it makes me really uncomfortable.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    It *is* kind of funny that Rumor Mill actually helps a few assets.

    Salem, for instance. While RM's active you don't have to forfeit the agenda to rez him.

    yes

    corporate town might be decent right now because of that and all the strong resources out there

    we gonna be alright
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    It *is* kind of funny that Rumor Mill actually helps a few assets.

    Salem, for instance. While RM's active you don't have to forfeit the agenda to rez him.

    yes

    corporate town might be decent right now because of that and all the strong resources out there

    Corporate Town isn't affected by RM, it's not unique.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
    Shorty
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Luckily glacier is not the only corp archetype I enjoy!

    I have two separate minds about how I feel about the game. One as to whether I enjoy it or not, and one as a game designer myself. The former is what decides whether I keep playing or not, and the latter is just a matter of professional interest and enjoyment in analysing game systems.

    I still love this game so that part of me is just fine!

    The designer part of me is interested in talking about the problems with the game, though, and also the really good things about it!

    Anzekay on
    Shorty
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    It *is* kind of funny that Rumor Mill actually helps a few assets.

    Salem, for instance. While RM's active you don't have to forfeit the agenda to rez him.

    yes

    corporate town might be decent right now because of that and all the strong resources out there

    Corporate Town isn't affected by RM, it's not unique.

    right, of course, my mistake

    we gonna be alright
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    I'm suddenly reminded that there was a question of whether Find the Truth would reveal your starting hand

    does anyone know if we ever got an answer on that?

    judging by the order on Setup, it seems like it is probably Yes, since you have to put Adam on the table before anything else

    we gonna be alright
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I actually don't find glacier to be in THAT bad a place... with Temujin out there a deck that ices all its servers is better, and with less recursion in the meta landing an Aggressive Secretary can win games.

    There sure are a lot of people running meat damage and tagging right now though :)

  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I put off writing this several times...

    Some people seem to know exactly what is going on in FFG, and Damon seems to be the devil. I just don't care about templating issues or that he's putting strong cards in the game. I care if the game is fun or not. I'm still enjoying Netrunner, if you aren't I suggest you take a break.

    I know this may sound harsh, but it's not intended that way. I just don't think the game is in a bad place and we shouldn't be complaining constantly imo.

    Doesn't sound harsh to me. It's also really hard to know exactly how the chips fall internally on who gets what printed and how since we don't get that info. The guy has not made himself likeable to me, and I haven't seen anything that has made me appreciate him in the position he occupies. I can merely comment on the person he has presented himself as, which is what I'm doing. I don't think we've had him at the helm long enough for things to swing one way or the other, but for the time being it's still a good game that offers compelling engagement. Though I'd argue that "how fun the game is" can certainly be broken by continued bad templating. I'm a casual guy and don't have problems waving things off. I know enough people who aren't that it's not something you want to let seep in.
    PMAvers wrote: »
    At the minimum it feels a bit like we're skirting the edge of a certain Edict, and it makes me really uncomfortable.

    I legitimately don't know what you're implying here. >_<

    ArcticLancer on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm suddenly reminded that there was a question of whether Find the Truth would reveal your starting hand

    does anyone know if we ever got an answer on that?

    judging by the order on Setup, it seems like it is probably Yes, since you have to put Adam on the table before anything else

    I'm also still operating on that assumption. Nothing about the game's setup suggests otherwise, and this isn't really even something you can suss out intention since it's largely uncharted territory.

    Shorty
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I put off writing this several times...

    Some people seem to know exactly what is going on in FFG, and Damon seems to be the devil. I just don't care about templating issues or that he's putting strong cards in the game. I care if the game is fun or not. I'm still enjoying Netrunner, if you aren't I suggest you take a break.

    I know this may sound harsh, but it's not intended that way. I just don't think the game is in a bad place and we shouldn't be complaining constantly imo.

    this is an extremely reductive take on the issue, and "if you don't like it, don't play it" is not a productive thing to say. you would be understandably irritated if, in response to your criticism, I simply said, "if you don't like it, don't read it."

    we gonna be alright
    Powerpuppies
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I put off writing this several times...

    Some people seem to know exactly what is going on in FFG, and Damon seems to be the devil. I just don't care about templating issues or that he's putting strong cards in the game. I care if the game is fun or not. I'm still enjoying Netrunner, if you aren't I suggest you take a break.

    I know this may sound harsh, but it's not intended that way. I just don't think the game is in a bad place and we shouldn't be complaining constantly imo.

    Threads on PA are either hate-train or "here we worship the prodigal son". Try as one might, it's practically impossible to shift the narrative until certain people move on.

    In reality, people have been complaining about silver bullets since the inception of the game, on pretty much every forum I've read. I don't find it out of place for it to still be a point of contention.

  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I put off writing this several times...

    Some people seem to know exactly what is going on in FFG, and Damon seems to be the devil. I just don't care about templating issues or that he's putting strong cards in the game. I care if the game is fun or not. I'm still enjoying Netrunner, if you aren't I suggest you take a break.

    I know this may sound harsh, but it's not intended that way. I just don't think the game is in a bad place and we shouldn't be complaining constantly imo.

    this is an extremely reductive take on the issue, and "if you don't like it, don't play it" is not a productive thing to say. you would be understandably irritated if, in response to your criticism, I simply said, "if you don't like it, don't read it."

    I get your point, and it's fair. I guess I'm just lacking the understanding on how Damon is so bad, you say lots of things so you either have solid inside info or... don't. I know for a fact it wasn't even Damon who designed Paperclip for example. I guess my point is that if you aren't enjoying the game (for whatever reason) you should take a break, I don't think complaining on the internet helps fix the game or make anyone feel better about it's problems. I guess I just want people to like the game and be positive about it, tell people how great it is and attract new players in. I understand that there will always be some complaints about the game, it's normal, but I like it here because there isn't much. Anyway, whatever, I'll shut up, I've made my feelings known.

  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    I think it can be hard when people have their player hats, their card reviewer hats, and their amateur game designer hats but are all just talking in a single thread. Negativity from one stream can easily be mistaken for negativity overall; I'm certainly personally guilty of bitching about the BoN errata whilst at the same time having fun playing with and against the ID.

    Too much of negativity in the public fora can be harmful to attracting new players and keeping the environment fun though. I'm not sure if I would have gotten into the game reading the thread now vs it several years ago. Even if the person being negative is only negative about 10% of the game whilst enjoying 90% that can be an easily lost subtlety to people who aren't them. I'm going to try to bitch less in future: for example I was totally wrong on Project Kusanagi, which is loads of fun :).

    I do think FFGs structure of having a single 'chief designer' as the spokesperson of each game is bad for negativity culture - he's the only target of peoples gripes, people read too much into anything he says, and everything gets laid at his door. Things can very easily get personal.

  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Bingo~

    But for serious, my biggest complaint about the game right now is that I don't get to play it nearly often enough. Largely, that's a geography problem and it kinda has to be lived with. I have always cared about the long term health of the game and that's where my disagreements often come from. As to everything that's taken up the last page or so of posts, I dunno, I wasn't really reading anyone having a hard tone in the process, but that's probably because I just know a bunch of you guys at this point.

    Shorty
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    @Cerberus had any luck trying to get Khan to work?

    I'm personally hanging out for Smoke, since I'm still a bit iffy about the current state of Leela and find Andy boring, so I'll probably be returning to Shaper for a while!

  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    @Cerberus had any luck trying to get Khan to work?

    I'm personally hanging out for Smoke, since I'm still a bit iffy about the current state of Leela and find Andy boring, so I'll probably be returning to Shaper for a while!

    I've not tried yet.

    I have ANRPC (BABW) Finals and Worlds to worry about before I'm allowed fun decks. Though no idea on what to play there either!

Sign In or Register to comment.