As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nostalgia: the things you loved as a kid (mostly) sucked

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
But it's okay! Sometimes, it's comforting to feel nostalgic about things. And really, some of the things that take me back I still think are badass.

I have been trying to get my son to read, and the idea hit me today: Choose Your Own Adventure!

sroKlTl.jpg

I wanted to read through one to see if it was as awesome as I remembered. And... it really isn't. But I think he'll enjoy them!

Except that flipping through the pages brought back memories of nightmarish horrors that lurked in the pages. Seriously, there's some fucking disturbing stuff in these books!

6ReIPHK.jpg

These are for children?

382802.jpg?v=1

Well, getting polymorphed into something that will end up slaughtered and eaten isn't so bad, I guess, but...

(Spoiled for the benefit of arachnaphobes...)
tumblr_m9xuwoiwZU1rnofaco1_500.jpg

AHHHHHHH Jumping Jesus Christmas

tumblr_m2x4xzxBHH1rnofaco1_500.jpg

18:55 --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKOF6rntUg

So what makes you feel nostalgic? What have you gone back to read/watch/check out again only to find it was better in your memories?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I'm kind of upset that I never watched this show as a kid

• Options
    edited October 2016
    the quality of the x-men cartoon was inconsistent at the best of times

Brolo on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I feel like the animation quality of the spider-man cartoon wasn't as good as I remember it being.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I dragged my mom to take us to see the Doug Movie.

She still wont let me live that down.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

That's pretty...

8-)

Funnie.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Opening theme: top quality
    rest of show: middling quality

I didn't get to watch the X-Men cartoon much, but I do remember watching a lot of the Fantastic Four cartoon (season 2, with the good intro), and some of the Iron Man cartoon (mullet intro). They are probably not as good as I remember.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the wild man of Borneo

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    jm2gwfpctdjw.jpg
    Member old transformers? When the articulation consisted of an elbow that rotated the wrong way?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

That's pretty...

8-)

Funnie.
    You will find this joke may have been...

Very Expensive.

• Options
    You know what's 90's as fuck

the old Iron Man intro

season 2, apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMNGor88dKM

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Some current Transformers still do that

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    You know what's 90's as fuck

the old Iron Man intro

season 2, apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMNGor88dKM

the best part is when he pours the molten guitar riffs

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Meedley meedley meedley MRAOOOOOOO

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The X men cartoon sacrificed animation quality for all the characters to be on comics model, which I understand but reaaaally doesn't hold up

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I was very excited to see that Samurai Armor (because spikes) and it never happened.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Boy that game was disappointing. In retrospect that was the most on-message it could have been though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

I didn't get to watch the X-Men cartoon much, but I do remember watching a lot of the Fantastic Four cartoon (season 2, with the good intro), and some of the Iron Man cartoon (mullet intro). They are probably not as good as I remember.

All I remember of the 90s Fantastic Four was that when they tried to fight Galactus one time, they couldn't do it and Thor showed up to help and couldn't do it and then Ghost Rider showed up and beat him. It was kinda outta nowhere too.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    The X men cartoon sacrificed animation quality for all the characters to be on comics model, which I understand but reaaaally doesn't hold up

I even thought it looked terrible as a kid. I just didn't care.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

All I remember of the 90s Fantastic Four was that when they tried to fight Galactus one time, they couldn't do it and Thor showed up to help and couldn't do it and then Ghost Rider showed up and beat him. It was kinda outta nowhere too.

I remember when Ego the Living Planet showed up, they teamed up with Thor and Galactus to kill him, and also sent the Thing inside Ego with a bomb to blow up his brain. Then Thor and Galactus gave him some sort of super blast, Thor used magic hammer power to teleport the Thing out (sure why not), and the bomb exploded and he died. It was weird.

Although they did do an episode where Dr. Doom stole Silver Surfer's powers, that was pretty rad.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    X-Men holds a special place in my heart cause it was a cartoon my dad (Who was working his ass off as a newly minted software engineer) would specifically get up on Saturday to watch with me cause he had cabinets full of the comics. So yah, it was janky and not so great sometimes, but it was cool having my dad geek out with me when Collossus kicked the Juggernaut's ass.

Spider-man was a different jank that I love all by myself.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options

I remember reading an old usenet boaard where fans of the show could talk with some of the animators

and for a lot of scenes they were told they should skip storyboarding because they were supposed to just reference the comic panels for how scenes should work

which just seems nightmarish for actual production, I can't imagine trying to tell a coherent animated story like that

• Options
    the only X-Men episode I got to watch all the way through was the one with the Morlocks ("I'M COVERED IN SCORPIONS!") where Storm has a duel with Callisto at the end. Apparently in the comics they dueled with knives? In the cartoon, they used Darth Maul lightsabers. Obviously.

• Options
    oooh, when I was abroad in Italy I remember watching some Italian episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (Iceman and Firestar).

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    the only X-Men episode I got to watch all the way through was the one with the Morlocks ("I'M COVERED IN SCORPIONS!") where Storm has a duel with Callisto at the end. Apparently in the comics they dueled with knives? In the cartoon, they used Darth Maul lightsabers. Obviously.

The FCC rules for animated kids' shows back then were weird. Spider-man couldn't closed-fist-punch anyone and all the cops in New York had laser guns.

Morbius couldn't call himself a vampire and couldn't reference blood, only "plasma".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I hadn't even heard of Bots Master until now, but holy shit that intro is a fucking masterpiece.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I could gush for days about all kinds of weird, "Xtreme" 90s cartoons and stuff.

And the toys and games. Man, even the commercials to sell the damn things were their own art. Makes me pine for Mighty Max sets and the like.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    the best "board game" ever was Crossfire

pew pew pew

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    the best "board game" ever was Crossfire

pew pew pew

Did you get caught up in it?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You guys should check out the 90s percentile podcast. They (sorta) cover all this stuff in a funny conversation format.

The crossfire episode goes places.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I got really scared when I played Terranigma as a kid and got to the part where there are two chalices and drinking from one will kill you and the other will make you a god

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I got really scared when I played Terranigma as a kid and got to the part where there are two chalices and drinking from one will kill you and the other will make you a god

I can't see problems like that anymore without thinking of the Giant's Drink puzzle from Ender's Game.
    Yes, I'm a monster, why do you ask?

Or the Battle of Wits from The Princess Bride. Either way.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I used to read the crap out Piers Anthony Xanth novels.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Gummie bears...

Bouncing here and there and everywhere...

(and now it's in your head for a week)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Most of my earliest memories of media revolve around an early fanaticism for both Pokemon and Digimon, as well as Batman, plus I was one of the first handful of people in the States to get really into Harry Potter in the summer of '99, when my grandmother sent me the first two books, and then the third in September when it came out shortly after - when I was Harry Potter for Halloween that year there was only one other in the whole elementary school! Alas, I never got to watch too much cable TV as a kid, but because it was a rare treat I remembered and savored every bit of what I could catch it.

But honestly, I don't have a huge craving to go back to most of that stuff, because a) I realize that most of that stuff hasn't aged well and b) I've had a long-running bit of a backlash against the way people my age handle nostalgia

I'm from that chunk of time with a birth date between about '92 and '96 (I was born in '93 but I've seen this prominently in that whole range) where kids born in the 90s have very minimal memories of the actual 90s and mostly remember the early 2000s, pre-9/11, as "the 90s". In spite of this, they still rabidly proclaim themselves '90s kids due to catching reruns of shows from the 90s, and mixing that with a faulty memory.

Pointing out to people my age that no, just because a show you were fond of started in late '99 doesn't make it a 90s show (especially not in those cases where some of those shows ran til the mid-00s) is a argument I get in a lot, as well as pointing out shows that weren't even in the 90s at all but started in the early 00s (looking at you, Samurai Jack)

I blame the cognitive dissonance on the fact that no one wants to remember the early Bush years

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Boy Meets World is the best TV show I will not have you tell me I'm remembering wrong.

• Options
    Illusion of Gaia also had a part where you're playing a game of "Russian Glass" where one of the drinks contains deadly poison

Maybe I need to replay the game, I don't remember there being a good reason for this, you're effectively forcing the other guy into suicide in the end

• Options
    edited October 2016
    My mom bought me a Batman Forever sticker album and I think I wasn't too thrilled but then she told me Batman was a good guy!

Platy on