Options

[Mafia III] As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to kill gangsters

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Not having borderless fullscreen in 2016 should be a jailable offence.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yea I'm done with this until a patch comes out. It's not unplayable, as it actually starts up and plays. However it's "unplayable" in this state for any kind of enjoyment.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I want to play this on PC, but I'll wait til it goes on sale on Steam. In the mean time I'll clear my backlog.

• Options
    Christ I hope the PC version doesn't turn into another Arkham Knight fiasco.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Man ever since GTA 3 one of my favorite things in open world crime games is just murdering the shit out of the overly lionized leeches on society that make up the mob. An entire game that is just that sounds right up my alley.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I put a couple of hours into this last night:

- As mentioned, the documentary stuff so far has been really effective, and I've only just started the story.
    - Movement in combat and shooting hasn't won me over yet, especially since games I've been playing lately handle this stuff a lot more smoothly. I'll likely mess around with the aim assist until I'm happy.
    - I haven't gotten into a police chase yet, but having to follow road rules to avoid them is going to test my patience. I'm sure I'll see how forgiving this system is soon enough.
    - Holy shit the UI is tiny on this game. I do have a small TV but plenty of games don't have that problem for me. At the very least they could have coloured the buttons during the tooltips (they are coloured in the game world) as they honestly show up as tiny circles with a smudge in them for me.
    - I'm liking the style of the world so far, I always appreciate games that tackle interesting and untapped locations.

• Options
    Arkham Knight seems far worse than what's been going on so far, but it's the crashes that are dragging this thing down. If they can fix that it handles 95% of the issues people are having. Everything else is "give me my graphical options!"

EDIT: I said fuck it and just RedBox'd it on PS4. I mean this is stunning and I blame 2K entirely (and not Hangar13).

• Options
    I feel super lucky that Arkham Knight ran fine for me because it was really great and I'm one of three people who could run it.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    All these Far Cry comparisons and talks of territory control are really selling me on it

But let me ask you, Mr. G

Is it cool like Far Cry 3 where territories remain yours, or is it super fucking lame like Far Cry 2 where enemies take them back constantly

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I feel super lucky that Arkham Knight ran fine for me because it was really great and I'm one of three people who could run it.

It ran great for me... on PS4

And I fucking loved every minute of it

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    All these Far Cry comparisons and talks of territory control are really selling me on it

Is it cool like Far Cry 3 where territories remain yours, or is it super fucking lame like Far Cry 2 where enemies take them back constantly

I can't say for sure yet that they don't come back

But considering the "end" of taking over a territory is making that area's boss work for you, it is probably permanent

When I say "Far Cry," I specifically mean 3/4, for the record

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    this game rules

the facial animations are real tight and there is nothing I love more than sweet 60s vengeance

and all the sweet tunes, of course

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

I can't say for sure yet that they don't come back

But considering the "end" of taking over a territory is making that area's boss work for you, it is probably permanent

When I say "Far Cry," I specifically mean 3/4, for the record

I think you just sold me this game

• Options
    And. . .there are crashes on console too. Good. Fucking. God.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I for one can't wait to buy this unreviewed game about the struggle of being black written by a white creative director with the last name blackman.

And the head writer, who is black

conceded

is charles webb the head writer? just for the sake of clarification, i don't think he's actually the writing lead, he's a senior writer on the team

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Unconceded

• Options
    This game is authentic as fuck. . .I can barely understand what half these people are saying.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    This game is authentic as fuck. . .I can barely understand what half these people are saying.

I never mind this sort of thing as long as subtitles are there and are comprehensive

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I considered buying a 1060 last week simply to play Arkham Knight around Halloween. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to stick to dumb ol' Amnesia which doesn't even allow me to spinning backfist any of the monsters.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    LMAO. I can't wait till they explain this one:
    Giorgi has got to be the worst shot ever. . .

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I saw the GB quicklook for this game

and, frik, the storytelling looks damn good
    I'm dying for a full LP on this game

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Another thing I like about the documentary stuff is they don't skirt around a lot of the obvious developments

Of course Lincoln is going to get his revenge, become a crime boss, and not survive to the filming of this documentary, you could figure all that out from the very first trailer for the game

So let's just get it all out there and talk about what it all means as it's happening

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It's really quite good so far. Boilerplate revenge setup, but the characters are great. And Bourdeaux basically steals New Orleans from Rockstar, because they nailed it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    seems like the borderless fullscreen problem I was having has gone away. Seems like it was a problem with alt-tabbing.

so far it's pretty stable, and now that I seem to have unlocked the main game, it's looking pretty great

• Options
    Whomever said this game was leaning more to Far Cry over GTA was spot on. Holy shit.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    This is probably going to be a Winter Doldrums game for me in January or so. Got too much on my gaming plate right now.

But I'm glad to hear that it's Far Cry Fun Times on the Bayou.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Far Cry Mafia sounds pretty good to me

• Options
    edited October 2016
    You die waaaaaaay too fast in this game

And the missions are set up in such a way that there are barely any checkpoints

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Never quite figured out how to align the controls with the steam controller.
    Mostly fiddling with the camera controls, but it's basically unplayable, which is a bummer.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The more I play, the more it seems like this territory takeover stuff is the ENTIRE game

The documentary, and even just the story in general, is pretty light after the first couple hours, only coming back in every now and then

So if you're still on the fence, that's important to know

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    So far what I’ve experienced has been decidedly mediocre at best, farcical broken AI at worst. It feels like an open-city game from at least five years ago, possibly ten, in presentation, depth and delivery. That it runs at 30FPS is the least of its present problems, because at 60 and 90 its early hours will still be a bland, dated derivative of GTA. It’s going to have to significantly step up, introduce some novel and intriguing new elements, or at the very least embolden its story to the point where it has something meaningful to say, for it to recover itself in my eyes.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/08/review-in-progress-mafia-iii/

so yeah, your mileage may vary on this one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    It is, peculiarly, a big backward step from Mafia II’s superb gunplay. That game made the ridiculous mistake of barely using its best feature; this one has infinite shoot-outs, but without any of the thrill or tension.

That's a shame. I remember the shootouts from the last one to be one of the highlights, which, like they said, were a bafflingly small portion of the actual gameplay.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I rented this without thinking it through

Is there a big day one patch for this?

Because if so I'm kinda fucked if it's an important one

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there's a patch that just came out a couple hours ago

on steam, anyway

but I haven't found it necessary to like, wait for the patch, you're probably fine

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I quite like this, but it's gone very much in the opposite direction to mafia 2.

The open world stuff is the main game. There's a lot less incidental world stuff, like being able to go to bars, or have your own house. It feels a bit less grounded. Instead of having a bunch of intricately designed shooter levels scattered throughout the less used open world, it's pretty much all showing up and shooting and stealthing people in small courtyatds and back alleys etc.

But i do still quite like it. It's got a decent rhythm to it, and it's probably gonna be a good game to jump into from time to time, rather than burn through all at once.

• Options
    You know, I've never once had that problem of a game not "fitting" into the bounds of the screen until now

The top of the UI is cut off on my TV and there's no in game option to change the borders, so I had to do it at a system level

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I am no longer planning to buy this

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    I am no longer planning to buy this

It's a good rental

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    You know, I've never once had that problem of a game not "fitting" into the bounds of the screen until now

The top of the UI is cut off on my TV and there's no in game option to change the borders, so I had to do it at a system level

It's included on the PC version at least, under the Display options. Weird if they cut that from the console version, though.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

You can adjust the border in game. The options menu is weird though. You have to scroll to the right to find it.