As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, October 4, 2016 - Campfire Stories #10

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2016 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, October 4, 2016 - Campfire Stories #10

Campfire Stories #10

Campfire Stories #10

http://campcomic.com/comic/358

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    TimAusTimAus Registered User regular
    Do your anaphylaxis training people.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Haha a comedy of errors.
    I'm glad you're ok, that could have had such a dark ending!

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Astounding.

The pen should have the imprint of a hand on it to show even the very dumb or panicking how to hold it.

• Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Well, I'm glad you didn't die! Anaphylactic shock is indeed a bad thing!

• Options
    WelcomeToGoodburgerWelcomeToGoodburger Registered User regular
    I knew the person that told this story lived but for a second there I thought the kid was going to die!

• Options
    KopikatsuKopikatsu Registered User new member
    @FINNISH_LINE

This is why military-grade explosives have a decal with an arrow that says 'This side towards the enemy'. It's not meant to be funny, people legitimately have problems figuring out which side is which.

• Options
    requiemrequiem Registered User new member
    The pens do have a handy cartoon on the side, and one end is marked to indicate where the needle is. Unfortunately what I like to call "sign blindness" is pretty widespread, so this happens far too often.

The basic rule still applies though: never put your thumb over the other end of the pen. If you remember nothing else, remember that!

• Options
    Sensei Le RoofSensei Le Roof Registered User regular
    Wait, she'd taken "a" class?! Did she think one was enough, or am I missing something?

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    "Epinephrine will get you really buzzed." I imagine so. Worse than a bee sting can, too.

• Options
    Wait, she'd taken "a" class?! Did she think one was enough, or am I missing something?

If it's anything like the first aid class in high school, it taught a few basics like CPR. I remember nothing from that class though, so, uh, if you needed help now, call 911.

• Options
    The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    As someone who has taken a number of first aid classes, we'd hear horror stories from the trainers, and this particular flub with an epi pen is disturbingly common.

Also, one of them told a story of an EMT friend who tried out an epi pen "just to see how it felt" when they weren't undergoing anaphylaxis. He said it was like drinking an entire pot of espresso. Shaking, sweating, vomiting, diarrhea. Awful.

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    That was a really sharp cartoon.

• Options
    Kairos615Kairos615 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The puns...

I can hardly beelieve them.

Kairos615 on
  • Options
    NarfwakNarfwak Registered User regular
    Oh man, my brother did this when our mom was teaching him how to use an epipen on a piece of fruit (he's not allergic, but she's allergic to basically everything). He was shaking for *hours*.

• Options
    I appreciate the symmetry of this comic.

• Options
    Huttj509Huttj509 Registered User regular
    Oh lord, as soon as I saw the 5th picture I was cringing. My twin brother has nut allergies, so from an early age I learned how to handle an EpiPen. I was specifically instructed on how to hold it, never putting your thumb over the back, specifically because in the heat of the moment it can be easy to have it backwards (and you want to train muscle memory to hold it correctly).

From what I was told the group leader is actually lucky she didn't lose her thumb (the adrenaline can cause blood vessels to constrict, possibly cutting off blood flow, which is why you go for the fleshy part of the thigh). Dunno the actual odds of that though.

• Options
    ShadymanShadyman Registered User regular
    There are even TV ads now that basically just show you how to use an Epi-pen, at least twice per commercial.

• Options
    JachraJachra Registered User regular
    Pretty lucky you didn't die.

"We do not allow wizards to cast spells in our game, for that is the most unbalanced rule of all."
  • Options
    AriodanteAriodante Registered User new member
    Ouch. When I was a camp counselor, we confiscated all sweets so they wouldn't attract bees. The kids complained that it was unfair, but I didn't want to take the chance when some kids had allergies.