As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Last Jedi Teaser can be seen right now in the [Star Wars] thread

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    ahsoka is the best character who started out awful and became great

The arc of her getting expelled by the Jedi perfectly summarizes everything that was wrong with the Prequel Jedi Order. Pride. We can't be defeated. We're not wrong. We can't be wrong.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Just in general, one of the smartest things that The Clone Wars did was to take Anakin's core dilemma and externalize it

To one side of him is Ahsoka, who ends up leaving the Jedi because of their bullshit. And then on the other is Obi-wan, who was once tempted into leaving, but decides to stay and so he fully commits.

Anakin cares about both of them deeply, but he can't follow either path, he wants both things, personal love and independence AND a life with the Jedi order. And his inability to do so ends up being his weakness that Palpatine takes advantage of.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah, the reason they didn't just transmit the data to the rebel base was because A: they were being tracked and B: they didn't want to send a planet destroying super weapon to the star system with their base.

It's easy to come up with plot reasons to explain away why they couldn't just transmit the data, yeah.

But at the time the script was being written I wonder how much that question could have even occurred to the writers. The internet didn't become a big thing until the 80s and then it only really entered popular consciousness in the 90s, so people in 1977 generally didn't think in terms of transmitting computer data over long distances. Whereas those people did think in terms of sending physical hard copies of important documents with couriers, so they did a sci-fi version of that for the script: the secret plans are stored in a computer-person who had to physically travel to the delivery location.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    On "data-tapes".

• Options
    Also a perfect summary of Anakin and Mace Windu's relationship.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0d/e6/14/0de614fb44389bdd7e5aba5948a08ec7.jpg

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wonder if Republic commando holds up.

Totally does, it's one of the best Star Wars games.

I played it about a year ago on pc and it really didn't hold up for me.

Couldn't get it to a decent looking resolution, and as a game it felt really basic. Took a really long time to give me many gameplay options to play with.

Level design is very much of it's time, meaning a lot of samey looking corridors.

The squad stuff also ended up being a bit underbaked, and a bit too reliant on the level designers giving you things to interact with, rather than letting you come up with things.

But maybe i also just tried it at a bad time for me or something.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Sorry, nothing has yet beat the Wookiepedia article on the mouse droids, especially the hero one.

Han's pant stripes are up there too

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I played Republic Commando on Xbox for maybe 15 minutes back when it first came out. I don't know if it was the game or my controller, but turning left or right ALWAYS made me look slightly up or down at the same time. It was unplayable. No other games did that, so I'm tempted to say it was the game.

Fawst on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Also a perfect summary of Anakin and Mace Windu's relationship.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0d/e6/14/0de614fb44389bdd7e5aba5948a08ec7.jpg

Hey Mace, maybe if you weren't such a relentless jerk to Anakin, and maybe down him a hint of respect the galaxy wouldn't have been plunged into years of darkness and suffering.

Also, you probably wouldn't have been tossed out a window.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Or tried a hip-fire assassination of the galaxy's legally elected ruler. Literally the smartest thing the Sith have ever done.

Notice the twist to that. Anakin is clearly told by Palpatine Dooku was "too dangerous" to be taken alive, and kills him, but later regrets it. While next time, Anakin TRIES to take Palpatine alive, (admittedly for selfish reasons but still), while Jedi Master Mace goes, "Nope, no due process for this sucker."

Great stand on Jedi principles there.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I mean he should have just sent anakin off planet while he did it. Just another example of good guys being completely incompetent at scheming.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, but also perfectly, the Han Solo film is being described as a heist/western style film according to the president of Lucasfilm.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Can Joss take a break from Marvel?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

hasn't he already

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

hasn't he already

He packed it in after Age of Ultron to my understanding.

Which is a relief. I like how he starts things but not how he continues things.

• Options
    I should finish clone wars before reading Ahsoka, huh?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

hasn't he already

He packed it in after Age of Ultron to my understanding.

Which is a relief. I like how he starts things but not how he continues things.

So he should be a JJ Abrams? Starting interesting projects, then leaving them in the hands of other people to move on to the next thing?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Nah, Whedon should do his own things, not other people's things.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Please keep Joss Whedon away from Star Wars thx

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    actually I'm pretty sure they're going to get him to direct star wars at some point

he's a natural fit, from the perspective of a film studio

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »

Honestly Whedon is a bad for for Star Wars. Guy doesn't have it in him for a simple good vs evil setting without trying to make it edgy. Firefly was thankfully cancelled before we got stuff like Inara poisoning a gang bang of Reavers due to special drugs she took.

• Options
    I'd be fine with him directing some Star Wars short - kind of like the Marvel one-shots

"Ithorians Quipping In a Coffee House" - A Star Wars short

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Saw a rogue one trailer in a theatre last night and i got the chills

I'm really looking forward to it

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'd be fine with him directing some Star Wars short - kind of like the Marvel one-shots

I would really enjoy a Star Wars Animatrix. Just a series of short, interesting stories by talented directors. All of them questionably canon and self-contained.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »

I would really enjoy a Star Wars Animatrix. Just a series of short, interesting stories by talented directors. All of them questionably canon and self-contained.

Make the central framing device a Sabacc game between a few disreputable types in a run down cantina and I'm on board for sure.

(yes, like that Batman TAS episode, no, it doesn't need the same surprise)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Still waiting on that Max Rebo spin off show, traveling the galaxy, playing music, and solving mysteries like Josie and the Pussycats.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Still waiting on that Max Rebo spin off show, traveling the galaxy, playing music, and solving mysteries like Josie and the Pussycats.

And then it ends with his tragic death on a fluke sail barge explosion.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Tonight on VH1's Behind The Music

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Tonight on VH1's Behind The Music
    Is this you pitching a Robot Chicken sketch

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Michael Giacchino in an interview with EW about Rogue One basically confirmed that these standalone films won't have the traditional opening crawl.
    Can you describe the opening title theme? Do you use elements of his [Williams] work there?
    It’s done slightly differently here because it’s not one of the saga films, it’s not one of the trilogies. It’s sort of its own thing and the whole idea from the very beginning was these should be standalone movies. So it’s going to be a slightly different way to get things kicked off.

• Options
    Auralnaughts Edpisode 5 is up for supporters and it's really good.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Auralnaughts Edpisode 5 is up for supporters and it's really good.

It's up for everyone now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOmyuweolqY

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Poor sweet Wedge.
    I don't understand, I've been a good boy!

• Options
    Should have hacked before posting :)

Wunderbar!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Auralnauts
    JANGO

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Honestly Whedon is a bad for for Star Wars. Guy doesn't have it in him for a simple good vs evil setting without trying to make it edgy. Firefly was thankfully cancelled before we got stuff like Inara poisoning a gang bang of Reavers due to special drugs she took.

...wait, that's not a real thing that happened in those Firefly comics or something, is it?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.