As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    True Conviction is one of my favorite dumb Commander cards.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I cut True Conviction out of my Replenish deck but it's very tempting.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I forget if mana burn was still a thing when it was first printed, but that might have factored into how to play it back in the day.

Mana burn didn't go away until the Magic 2010 rules changes, so it was definitely in full force during Time Spiral block.

Stragint wrote: »
    Edit: What should I remove from Kaalia? I need to remove 13 cards and I can't really think of want I want to remove now.

Master of Cruelties, as mentioned, is anti-fun in Commander.

In a similar vein, Iona, Shield of Emeria can literally take a player out of a game without actually eliminating them, which is usually an asshole move.

I would cut Skittles on principle. As the only source of poison counters in the deck it's just not a team player.

Armageddon is a good way to turn friends into people who never want to play with you again.

You can probably cut the three planeswalkers without losing much.

That's seven...

I could also recommend "embracing the chaos" and cutting most/all of your tutors: Demonic, Rune-Scarred, Dark Petition, and another strike against Liliana Vess.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    True Conviction also seems unneeded but I guess if you can hardcast and resolve that you probably deserve to win at that point

Oh dang there is a double strike enchantment in white? That's what my UW flying anthems deck needed.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    True conviction is dumb, busted, and the best.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Also day of the dragon looks like a hoot in a weenie deck.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    These are mostly suggestions on making a technically worse Kailia deck for what it's worth.

Maybe keep the competitive parts like a sideboard for when you're playing in spikier groups if it bothers the people you play with normally... but things like master of cruelties or a "big fatty into Armageddon" is standard Kalia tech.

• Options
    These are mostly suggestions on making a technically worse Kailia deck for what it's worth.

Maybe keep the competitive parts like a sideboard for when you're playing in spikier groups if it bothers the people you play with normally... but things like master of cruelties or a "big fatty into Armageddon" is standard Kalia tech.

...which is just one reason why Kaalia is killed on sight by anyone who knows what they're doing.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Yep. EDH games with Kaalia at the table rapidly morph into EDH games without Kaalia at the table. Either because Kaalia wins and the rest of the players keep going in a playoff, or because everyone dogpiles Kaalia and then carries on with a normal game.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    From Sam Stoddard's Aether Revolt Multiverse article today, re: Crackdown Construct:
    BH: Was the pseudo-Squadron Hawk white artifact creature. Now intended as a combo with Wandering Fumarole for three months.

"Three" months. Yes.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    even with the rotation extension, it's still a pretty easily disruptable combo; Pummeler seems much easier to pull off and more resilient.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    KalTorak wrote: »
    even with the rotation extension, it's still a pretty easily disruptable combo; Pummeler seems much easier to pull off and more resilient.

Agreed, and the additional banning opportunities are another control in case things get hairy. Just noting that they were actually testing for a different environment come April.

EDIT: One that had Emrakul and Smuggler's Copter in it, for starters.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The idea that crackdown construct was meant to be constructed worthy is maddening.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The idea that crackdown construct was meant to be constructed worthy is maddening.

I don't think those quotes indicate they thought it was constructed-worthy, just that it was supposed to ring some bells in the minds of recent players that "oh, these things can go infinite, cool!"

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My friends decided they want to have shorter games so we can have more games so I figured I would make Kaalia as lethal as possible.

They are also mad I was against my brother taking back a play because him messing it up basically meant I win but him taking it back and redirecting it hurt me. He had already taken back two plays so I was done with that non-sense.

So because of that I feel like I'm gonna get rolled first for a while so I want to take down as many decks with me as I can. I am gonna add some of the nasty stuff I took out of Meren to make her more casual as well.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    True Conviction is one of my favorite dumb Commander cards.

God yes

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    True conviction is dumb, busted, and the best.

She says this but when she noticed it was in my commander deck her reaction was, quote, "Fuck you!!!"

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Assembled my Game Day deck. It's an unhealthy mess that probably won't work but I don't have the time or brain to make anything better.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh right game day's tomorrow

i completely forgot cuz i was snowed in last week and spent today throwing up

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is game day a standard tournament or sealed?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is game day a standard tournament or sealed?

Standard.

• Options
    Hey I went 2-2 with gearhulk reanimator today! First two rounds were against like BR midrange-y and then Jund energy midrange, and good god does this deck just decimate midrange. If your plan is just to play minions and back them up with removal spells the removal package stops you dead and then the gearhulk value train rolls into town.

Third round was against monowhite humans aggro. Lost first game to the deck being way to goddamn fast for me pre-sideboard (oh god expedition envoy), lost the second game to never finding ruinous path to deal with gideon.

Fourth round was a rematch from a previous week of the cool old guy doing servo tribal; first game he drew like crap and I rolled over him, second game we fought back and forth but eventually I just lost too much health and had no way to stabilize, third game I never drew radiant flames and he alpha'd me for 14 with reckless bushwacker. And the ingest off his X/5 eldrazi (the one who's attack is the # of colorless critters you have) hit the Noxious that might have been able to stabilize (by gaining 5 health off that eldrazi).

I've taken away that Nahiri is a v. good card, I'm happy with two of her in the main deck. Cataclysmic is just like godawful because of how many artifact creatures are running around. I picked up some transgresses to help vs. control, and I think I'll maindeck one since it can help snipe things like Gideon or Verdurous. Had some sick to the slaughters, seems like 2 across main and side is right, not sure which way I want to split it. Got a Sphinx of the Final Word on a lark to see if it could do something vs. bu permission (wanted two but they only had the one), and also got a providence because fuck aggro I'm gonna meme someone.

(but like I actually think it's actually not a bad choice because I easily lose games to getting hit down to 3-5 so even if I have overwhelming gearhulk board control I can't gain enough life off their weenies to avoid dying to like, thopters and unlicensed disintegration)

also will be testing fumigate and descend upon the sinful; descend is definitely the effect I want but iunno how big a deal the 5 v. 6 mana would be in the matchups where they matter (ie, not actually aggro because I need radiant flames to not die to them)

also should probably have liliana

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    temur eldrazi is good, 2-0 start went south due to my own stupidity

thoughtknot and deep fiend are just as annoying as they always are

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    temur eldrazi is good, 2-0 start went south due to my own stupidity

thoughtknot and deep fiend are just as annoying as they always are

How good is Metallic Mimic because I just realized I basically have this whole deck except for that

• Options
    edited February 2017
    its solid if played on curve, less good outside of that. but you dont really have much better to play on 2 and you definitely want something to do there. like maybe you could play eldrazi mimic but then you lose the brutal turn 2 mimic turn 3 skyspawner play

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Yeah god that's pretty sick...

• Options
    it just passively ups the quality of the rest of your cards and thats pretty good while also sometimes hitting them for 2

but its really hard to fit in post turn2 unless you just don't have better things to play and thats probably not a good sign for how that game is going

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm just waffling between this UR spells deck I have and like, anything else for game day and temur eldrazi sounds right up my alley, i haven't midranged in a while

• Options
    im probably gonna be on temur eldrazi until I can finish gb

which I think I'm just 2 flayers short for, finished my set of walking ballistas today

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    its solid if played on curve, less good outside of that. but you dont really have much better to play on 2 and you definitely want something to do there. like maybe you could play eldrazi mimic but then you lose the brutal turn 2 mimic turn 3 skyspawner play

I'm assuming turn two Metallic Mimic, turn three 3/2 Flier 2/2 groundpounder for 3?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Had a miserable trainwreck of a draft last night (without even any actual trains!). But I did manage to ambush an attacker with an Aethersquall Ancient via my Planar Bridge so at least I got to live the dream.

• Options
    blargh, too tired to go to game day today

why do these things have to be at noon instead of like 2 or 3, I wanna sleep in on saturday

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    blargh, too tired to go to game day today

why do these things have to be at noon instead of like 2 or 3, I wanna sleep in on saturday

Because if an event with even only 16 players started at 3 it wouldn't end until at least 10pm. 17-32 pushes that an extra hour.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Also I would wager heavily that the "blocking trample" thing is a carry-over for/from YuGiOh players, where AFAIK this is essentially the case. But that's just speculation.
    Hi! I am a few pages late to this post, but yes, that is essentially how it works in YuGiOh.
    If the attacking monster is weaker than the one it's attacking (YGO does not differentiate power and toughness), the difference becomes direct damage to the attacking monster's controller.
    Also, if the monster being attacked is in defense position, its attacker is not destroyed as a result.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    2-0 so far, winning play in round 2 was stealing an Elder Deep Fiend with Gonti and then emerging it out of him for the tap down and win.

3-1 now, lost to Saheeli and beat some kind of wobbly spirits deck with a Gearhulk. One round to go, then cut to top 4 for the mat.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    so I just tuned into gpt pittsburgh to see ur fevered visions emerge cast nahiri's wrath

what

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    so I just tuned into gpt pittsburgh to see ur fevered visions emerge cast nahiri's wrath

what

tell me more

• Options

what

tell me more

all I can say is there was a wretched hippogryph and a deep fiend on the board and the wrath discarded a prized amalgam, killing a walking ballista for lethal on gb aggro (making that deck 8-0)

I switched over to watching HotS after that

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    second place with spells at game day

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Made Top 8 (of 15) with my Orzhov midrange, losing to eventual winner GW tokens in round 3 and to 2nd place GB in the quarters.

This discussion has been closed.