As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Warcraft: Legion] Patch 7.1 out now - Return to Karazhan!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    6/7 heroic EN last night. We couldn't do Xav after about 1.5 hours but 3 shot Cenarius. I think we have been kind of mechanically failing normal Xav but just overpowering it, so there is a steep learning curve it would seem. Hopefully next week.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    6/7 heroic EN last night. We couldn't do Xav after about 1.5 hours but 3 shot Cenarius. I think we have been kind of mechanically failing normal Xav but just overpowering it, so there is a steep learning curve it would seem. Hopefully next week.

What is your groups comp?

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    So, I plopped some points into my feral artifact today and ran some sims.

Turns out, my single target DPS between my balance druid spec (with an 883 artifact weapon and 24 traits unlocked (including all three golds) and my feral spec (860 weapon, 13 traits, NO golds unlocked) is statistically even.

The issue is that optimal feral play is MUCH harder than optimal balance play.

Maybe for some people, but I've been raiding feral for several expansions. It was at one point "John Fucking Madden." It no longer is.

With how hokey-pokey all the fights are in Emerald Nightmare, it's actually REALLY difficult to play Moonkin optimally. Movement longer than the duration of a GCD is almost always a straight dps loss. For a kitty, all you need to do is make sure you drain your energy bar before you start dancing, and so long as you get back to the fight before your energy bar fully recovers, you only lose out on minimal autoattack damage.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    LD50 wrote: »

Druid and Warrior tank, and usually but not always MW HPriest Resto Sham and me as a H pal healing. I think the most regular dps are 2 hunters, 2 Ret, 1 DH, 1 Enh shaman, 1 Fire and 1 frost (yup) mage, balance druid, a DK whos spec seems to have been changing so I dunno (usually unholy likely) and another shaman that I think is Ele? He heals sometimes when the MW is late or whatever. Then 1 or 2 other dps randomly that aren't really regular.

Typing that out, we have some of the better dps specs I guess outside of the 2 people playing what they want. The frost mage is actually pretty solid but the ele shaman dies a lot. One of our hunters is usually parsing top 10% at the worst and most of our dps are around 80%.

Edit: Well I guess most don't always hang out around 80%, just a few. Seems like on the farm fights they average in the 60s outside of the hunter, DH, and enh.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Druid and Warrior tank, and usually but not always MW HPriest Resto Sham and me as a H pal healing. I think the most regular dps are 2 hunters, 2 Ret, 1 DH, 1 Enh shaman, 1 Fire and 1 frost (yup) mage, balance druid, a DK whos spec seems to have been changing so I dunno (usually unholy likely) and another shaman that I think is Ele? He heals sometimes when the MW is late or whatever. Then 1 or 2 other dps randomly that aren't really regular.

Typing that out, we have some of the better dps specs I guess outside of the 2 people playing what they want. The frost mage is actually pretty solid but the ele shaman dies a lot. One of our hunters is usually parsing top 10% at the worst and most of our dps are around 80%.

Ok, that sounds workable. As long as you're going in with 4 heals. I think the most important things are:

Proper tank handling; when the boss gets the infusion debuff the dreaming tank must be the one tanking xavius, and the dreaming tank can't leave the dream state from something other than tanking invused xavius.

Healers cannot get corruption from sources other than dispels; always be dispelling at 3 stacks, and it should always be a dreaming healer doing the dispels until the final phase.

One other tip if you're having trouble hitting the dps requirement: Have your best dreaming dps focus on getting the corruption from the shadowy adds. The debuff that you get before you get mind controlled gives you a huge damage boost, and you get it even if you're in the dream state. Having your best dps handling the adds means they'll be getting the dps buff. In our first fights, the corruption was getting spread out very well amongst the sleeping people, and nobody was getting the MC dps buff because the dreaming buff was falling off naturally before anyone got up that high.

• Options
    Wait you get the damage buff before MC in dream state? I thought it just kicked you out of dreamstate at 100 corruption?

Our dps was low because by that point the raid structure had 4 healers at 15 total members, so I think our comp was skewed really low on dps. We also lost one of our best dpsers in the first attempt cause he had to go (he actually DCed right at pull yet that one attempt seemed to go on for the longest somehow so go figure)

But like, I don't think people ever even considered the focusing adds cause at one point we decided to do a clump up the raid strat. And one attempt when I had been dreaming as heals phase 1, lost it and was getting those adds I ran circles around people trying to get them to intercept and people were actively avoiding the mob chasing me.

I think tanks are ok, we couldn't really decide what to do with the phase 1 adds though. We actually spent the whole night not getting out of phase 1 for the most part because damage going out was way too insane.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Regarding standing in fire: While I've traditionally been quite good at staying out of stuff, installing GTFO made it that much easier. "Move until that god awful noise stops blaring into your ears" is quite good motivation.

What I can't decide is whether I need to disable the addon altogether on any tank alt; since they can typically cooldown/healer through anything on the ground, and in some fights are required to stand in The Shit.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    For those that wondered, some people did managed to get their 30 Corrupted Essences.....and you can't complete the chain until Nighthold anyways.

So, uh, there's no hurry at least!

Gates on gates on gates :/

• Options
    Apparently there is a 9 deep quest line just to open Nighthold.

The saving grace is supposed to be that it can be done as soon as 7.1 hits, so you know you at least have plenty of time to do it.

I wonder how much rep you need to start that though.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

The saving grace is supposed to be that it can be done as soon as 7.1 hits, so you know you at least have plenty of time to do it.

Double exalted.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    For those that wondered, some people did managed to get their 30 Corrupted Essences.....and you can't complete the chain until Nighthold anyways.

So, uh, there's no hurry at least!

wow, that sucks. I was looking forward to my appearance.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Double exalted.

I'm fully expecting another rep added in 7.1. If not for Nighthold, then for Karazhan-related progress (both?).

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Double exalted.

I'm fully expecting another rep added in 7.1. If not for Nighthold, then for Karazhan-related progress (both?).

I'm actually surprised there isn't a Illidari rep.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Double exalted.

Exalted with Shang Xi's Academy :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Game froze this morning during withered training. Was so angry you don't get anything in that case. Come on blizzard fix that shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wait you get the damage buff before MC in dream state? I thought it just kicked you out of dreamstate at 100 corruption?

Our dps was low because by that point the raid structure had 4 healers at 15 total members, so I think our comp was skewed really low on dps. We also lost one of our best dpsers in the first attempt cause he had to go (he actually DCed right at pull yet that one attempt seemed to go on for the longest somehow so go figure)

But like, I don't think people ever even considered the focusing adds cause at one point we decided to do a clump up the raid strat. And one attempt when I had been dreaming as heals phase 1, lost it and was getting those adds I ran circles around people trying to get them to intercept and people were actively avoiding the mob chasing me.

I think tanks are ok, we couldn't really decide what to do with the phase 1 adds though. We actually spent the whole night not getting out of phase 1 for the most part because damage going out was way too insane.

Yeah, when you're dreaming you get the debuff that gives you the boost and you don't get kicked out of dream state until you would have been mc'd. Like I said earlier though, it's likely that you won't see it without focusing corruption onto specific dreamers because the dreaming buff will fall off before that happens if it's all spread out.

A few things your group may not know: the little focusing adds spawning causes significant aoe damage (this is before the corruption/absorption is even possible). You might want to try spreading your ranged players out some (we left a space between the ranged group and the melee stack for the blades to get brought to). Also, the tank debuff in the first phase causes a massive aoe explosion when it's dispelled; make sure your tanks are taking this out of the raid before getting dispelled (the phase 2 and 3 debuff is different though, and there's no explosion).

Don't drop under 4 healers trying to bring the dps threshold up. It is very hard to meet the corruption requirements with 3 healers. (one of the two sleeping phases will end up with only one healer and there's absolutely too much corruption for that one healer to handle and you'll end up with a bunch of non-dreaming dispels way too early in the fight).

Also, make sure all your healers know to blow their whole load while in the dream state. That does a whole lot to deal with the incoming damage volume.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Double exalted.

It's impossible for them to be friendly. They sacrificed too muuuuuch~!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Happy: Timewalking is pretty solid right now - 820 gear isn't super useful for your main if you're raiding, but for alts, especially fresh 110s it's a much faster way to gear up than anything else you'll be doing at the time. I ran my newly-dinged Demon Hunter through the requisite 5 dungeons yesterday and managed to pick up some 845s and 850 pieces thanks to the upgrade procs.

Plus the free 860 loot from the quest reward didn't hurt either.

Hate: Enchant material costs, particularly the "greatly reduced" amounts from level 2 to level 3 patterns. A neck enchant will cost me 12 Chaos Crystals and 12 Leylight Shards at level 2, and the "greatly reduced" amount of a level 3? 12 Chaos Crystals and 10 Leylight Shards. What a deal! Someone needs a stern talking-to up there on the profession team.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I hardly bother enchanting my gear unless its a high ilvl with the beat stat combination. Gear is just showered on us so unless a piece really stands out i dont spend the gold.

I am basically agonizing over not having the 3rd relic unlocked on my priest yet. I did a heroic darkheart thicket and pulled 188k dps without StM on shade of xavius. I can only imagine my damage with 30+ ilvls on my weapon in addition to the trait bonus, and an actually good talent setup.

Enigmedic on
  • Options
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Happy: Timewalking is pretty solid right now - 820 gear isn't super useful for your main if you're raiding, but for alts, especially fresh 110s it's a much faster way to gear up than anything else you'll be doing at the time. I ran my newly-dinged Demon Hunter through the requisite 5 dungeons yesterday and managed to pick up some 845s and 850 pieces thanks to the upgrade procs.

Plus the free 860 loot from the quest reward didn't hurt either.

Hate: Enchant material costs, particularly the "greatly reduced" amounts from level 2 to level 3 patterns. A neck enchant will cost me 12 Chaos Crystals and 12 Leylight Shards at level 2, and the "greatly reduced" amount of a level 3? 12 Chaos Crystals and 10 Leylight Shards. What a deal! Someone needs a stern talking-to up there on the profession team.

Your mistake is thinking they have a professions team :P I'm sure it's like, one guy, part time when he's not busy designing something else terrible.

But yeah, I still haven't bought the Leatherworking helm patterns. Both require 5 gems (leylight or maelstrom sapphire). I picked up the gem shoulder enchant to try and get some. Have gotten every gem BUT those two -_- On AH, they are going for about 2-5k a piece. Fuck that. Not spending 10k minimum (best prices) for helm that isn't even good!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Double exalted.

It's impossible for them to be friendly. They sacrificed too muuuuuch~!

"You asked what we have in common? You will sari five anything to save this world. While we would give up everything to be your friend."

<exalted quest unlocked - give Illidan a hug>

• Options
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    "mythic 5 player Karazhan Dungeon"

mythic only again huh?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

mythic only again huh?

They said it was going to be mythic when they first announced it. And it makes sense, since Karazhan is a huge dungeon with lots of bosses, way closer to a 5 man raid than a regular dungeon. It makes sense not to use the LFD tool since the chances of getting dropped into a run in-progress would be really high.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mythic is not a fearsome as you might think. I don't like the hassle of actually traveling to the dungeon, it's true, but once you're inside the leap from heroic to mythic isn't any harsher than the leap from normal to heroic. That said, a couple bosses in Karazhan sound brutal, especially the last one. I know it will be a step up from what we've seen in Mythic so far, which I'm fine with.

I'm curious as to how Mythic+ will work for Karazhan though. Will it be folded into the original group of mythic dungeons? Am I going to wind up with a mythic+5 keystone for Karazhan running Maw of Souls? Will Karazhan have its own separate keystone where you just run increasingly harder Karazhan instances to level it?

Also looking forwards to the new raid. Story-wise, if the last boss is Helya and we actually destroy her, that would release the seals on the Halls of Valor - all the vrykul Valarjar heroes inside would be free to come out, along with Odyn. That could mean in 7.2 they help us against the Burning Legion. Huge golden armored vrykul super-heroes helping us turn the tide and assault the Broken Shore, or whatever new zone is going to be unlocked in 7.2.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So, I plopped some points into my feral artifact today and ran some sims.

Turns out, my single target DPS between my balance druid spec (with an 883 artifact weapon and 24 traits unlocked (including all three golds) and my feral spec (860 weapon, 13 traits, NO golds unlocked) is statistically even.

The issue is that optimal feral play is MUCH harder than optimal balance play.

Maybe for some people, but I've been raiding feral for several expansions. It was at one point "John Fucking Madden." It no longer is.

With how hokey-pokey all the fights are in Emerald Nightmare, it's actually REALLY difficult to play Moonkin optimally. Movement longer than the duration of a GCD is almost always a straight dps loss. For a kitty, all you need to do is make sure you drain your energy bar before you start dancing, and so long as you get back to the fight before your energy bar fully recovers, you only lose out on minimal autoattack damage.

The best part is the talent that makes Rip refresh when you use Ferocious Bite.

I don't care if it's not optimal... it's absolutely worth it for the quality of life increase.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Mythic is not a fearsome as you might think. I don't like the hassle of actually traveling to the dungeon, it's true, but once you're inside the leap from heroic to mythic isn't any harsher than the leap from normal to heroic. That said, a couple bosses in Karazhan sound brutal, especially the last one. I know it will be a step up from what we've seen in Mythic so far, which I'm fine with.

I'm curious as to how Mythic+ will work for Karazhan though. Will it be folded into the original group of mythic dungeons? Am I going to wind up with a mythic+5 keystone for Karazhan running Maw of Souls? Will Karazhan have its own separate keystone where you just run increasingly harder Karazhan instances to level it?

Also looking forwards to the new raid. Story-wise, if the last boss is Helya and we actually destroy her, that would release the seals on the Halls of Valor - all the vrykul Valarjar heroes inside would be free to come out, along with Odyn. That could mean in 7.2 they help us against the Burning Legion. Huge golden armored vrykul super-heroes helping us turn the tide and assault the Broken Shore, or whatever new zone is going to be unlocked in 7.2.

You know, spirit healers look a lot like Val'kyr.

Has Odyn been helping us the whole time?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

You know, spirit healers look a lot like Val'kyr.

Has Odyn been helping us the whole time?

Actually, the Chronicle lore book Blizzard put out reveals that they are in fact Val'kyr, ones that don't serve either Helya or Odyn but wander the 'Shadowlands' (the realm of the dead) helping lost souls who died before their time.

Chronicles sort've paints Odyn as a way bigger asshole than he's portrayed in-game - he forced Helya and others to become Val'kyr against their will when they refused to volunteer, killing them and making them into servants who ferry heroes to Odyn's halls to become Valarjar when they wanted to be Valarjar themselves. Helya and many others grew hateful and finally rebelled. That's why Helya locked Odyn away in his halls in the first place.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Do we know who's replacing him as director?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ion is new game director I believe

• Options

At work so didn't read. Prince Malchezar was not the hardest fight in that place, back in BC. It took coordination, but it was not nearly as bad as, say, the undead dragon or the laser beam dragon (though that one was largely just coordination).

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Ion is new game director I believe

Ok, that's good. I like Ion most of the time.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

mythic only again huh?

They said it was going to be mythic when they first announced it. And it makes sense, since Karazhan is a huge dungeon with lots of bosses, way closer to a 5 man raid than a regular dungeon. It makes sense not to use the LFD tool since the chances of getting dropped into a run in-progress would be really high.

Eh. There's an easy way around that: split it up into three smaller dungeons. Basically, look at the ICC five-mans. They were one continuous dungeon and story, split among three instances.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I think the contiguous experience is better than the broken up experience though. And I think they want to funnel players into mythic, which is a worthy goal in my eyes (after all, finding a group for your +2 keystone is a very small step farther than finding a group for a regular mythic; both are more fulfilling experiences than lfd also). There are some QoL drawbacks with moving away from the queue system, but I think the improvements to the multiplayer gameplay experience are worth it.

• Options
    Meanwhile I’ll just sit here twiddling my thumbs with no guild and thus no one to run mythics with, along with choosy LFG groups denying applications. *sigh*

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Hey folks, me and my friends are currently setting up a Emerald Nightmare raid group. We're on Horde side, and starting this Saturday, 10/15, at 8pm Pacific, 11 pm Eastern. We currently need around 4 more DPS to fill out our group. If you're on horde side, geared up enough for raiding (about 835-840ish on the low end) and want to give it a shot hit me up on Battlenet CorriganX#1802.

If you're interested in the raid, but not quite geared yet, we'll be running multiple mythics the next couple days so you can friend me to get in on that as well.

Hell, even if you dont want to raid, but just want someone to mythic with friend me and i'll try to get you in on our runs too.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Meanwhile I’ll just sit here twiddling my thumbs with no guild and thus no one to run mythics with, along with choosy LFG groups denying applications. *sigh*

You should talk to @belligerent and get in on that action.

---

Also, please, don't make a Mythic+ version of Kara. No real need for speed runs in that place.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Yeah, not personally a fan of a movement away from the auto-matching tools. (LFD / LFR) They can obviously do min ilvl as a requirement, so why not have mythics and kara available? Like people have said throughout this thread, if a dungeon requires a bit more coordination, people will do it if they fail if they don't. I think not having mythics in the LFD from the beginning was a mistake, and has made me a lot less interested in "end game" for the non-guilded player.

Oh well, I've got a bunch of alts to level up, and some basic stuff to do with them once they hit 110, so it'll keep me reasonably engaged for a bit longer to see if things change.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I have a shit awful guild, and I have been able to get mythics and some raids. Then again I'm a healer, we are the cheer leaders of WoW.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Double exalted.

"Naaru hypocrites". You gain rep by having the Naaru regularly berate and guilt trip you for stopping Illidan in BC even though they originally specifically sent you to stop him.

Donnicton on
This discussion has been closed.