As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Westworld

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    If you never felt any real love for anyone except a sexy homestead robot but you managed a passable front of caring and kindness were you still a monster the whole time?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    If you never felt any real love for anyone except a sexy homestead robot but you managed a passable front of caring and kindness were you still a monster the whole time?

I feel like Fringe brought this question up during a Season 4 episode with John Pyper-Ferguson
    who is taken to the parallel earth to help capture his serial killer doppleganger. The whole nature vs nurture, love and sentimentality as well as making your own choices one way or another.

I felt some strong parallels in that regard.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    HBO continues its tradition of fucked up Happy Fathers Day episodes

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    aw the robots think they have free will

dats adorbs

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm not sure how they're gonna wrap this up in one more episode, especially since so many this season have felt like they ended 20 minutes early
    Like why not show us whether the man in black found a usb port in his arm or not

why not have maeve actually get her escape and healing started this episode, unlike the potential usb port that isn't even a mystery because the previews showed Maeve up and running all over the place and possibly even how she's gonna do it (the buffalo I think) so why draw it out

Teddy shooting himself being the end of the Dolores content for this episode felt like it made sense but everything else seemed to stop in a weird spot

Still mostly good though

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Ah Christ I have like, four episodes to catch up on before the finale
    Can you tell how excited I am

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Ah Christ I have like, four episodes to catch up on before the finale
    Can you tell how excited I am
    One of the episodes is really really really good, probably the best they've ever done

The rest aren't bad but can't step to Kiksuya

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The last four episodes really turned me around on this season as a whole

• Options
    I don't... I don't care about William! I still don't understand what he wants or why he's here and I don't care

He's just a miserable shithead. I have no investment in him. I'm done

"Oh, the game, I'm playing the game, fuck you Ford, I hate your game but I'm playing it anyway"
    How about fucking stop. Leave. Begone

Much as I love Ed Harris there's fucking nothing to this character

• Options
    I'm kind of realizing I'm not particularly invested in how any of this plays out. I don't have any pet theories. I don't even have like, hopes for specific characters. It's still a very well made show that entertains me in the moment, but something about this season has been lacking anything human for me to attach to, which is ironic because it's about becoming human

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    So why are you not helping the tortoise you flipped on it's back?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Because the tortoise mostly just monologues about truth and destiny and I figure we all need a break from that

• Options
    oh no, they made the bad ending

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Eh. I liked it. Good season overall

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I thought it was a pretty good episode
    If they had let Dolores and Maeve both actually die I would say throw it in the trash but I mostly liked it

The I feel like Maeve could have done a better job using her mind powers to maybe save a few more hosts but thats fine I guess

Bernard realizing he was a real boy the whole time instead of being Fords puppet again after he tried to wish Ford back to life was neat if kinda over explained maybe?

That shit with stubbs at the end was awesome

Everything with the man in black after he got up and went to the elevator was both cool and annoying, I think they may be a little too much in love with the idea of playing with multiple timelines but I still really want to know what exactly happened the one real time he went in after bernard and dolores so I guess it worked?

Speaking of playing with multiple timelines I loved the shot where bernard was watching himself walk in because I still think using his memory thing to make him like an unreliable narrator or whatever is real cool

I wanna know which other brains dolores took with her

I think her thing of bringing him back to be her enemy was dumb and I'm not actually super interested in whatever she decides to do out in the world as a terminator but maybe it will be interesting?

Sizemore's death was kinda dumb, but he got to do his whole speech I guess, same for teddy getting loaded up into the machine

Hale being a corporate villain to the end was good and her being pod-personed was awesome

Clementine being the pale rider on the white horse was cool, Hale saying it out loud was dumb

uhhhhhh thats basically it I guess, I enjoyed this season

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Westworld is stupid

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    I guess WestWorld Season 2 is actually about Manichaeist dualism and I really cannot give a shit about any of it and I wish that I could.

Anyways, see you in eight months for WestWorld Season 3!

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I guess WestWorld Season 2 is actually about Manichaeist dualism and I really cannot give a shit about any of it and I wish that I could.

Anyways, see you in eight months for WestWorld Season 3!

Is there a date for 3 set? I was reading 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    Westworld is stupid

stupid as hell and I love it

• Options
    I feel like I could have watched episode 1 and the finale and missed nothing of importance in between.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I liked it but I have no idea where they go from it
    Bernard and Dolores running around in the real world just doesn't seem like an interesting story if they're the only (or one of
    a handful) hosts left

I absolutely loved the speech getting interrupted again, and then the writer getting to do the whole thing for the first time

Akeche getting through the door actually made me tear up a bit, they did a great job of making that guy's story matter for how little screen time he actually had

Bernard getting his "The voice guiding me was mine all along" moment was a neat callback but would have been better if that voice was around for more than ten minutes

Also nice was Stubbs actually demonstrating both more competence and empathy than he's had any other chance to, I feel like he's spent two seasons being nothing more than the grumbly ineffectual security guy so it was a really surprising moment.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    It seems like Dolores can create new moops, so I'm guessing the next thing is her building an army in The Real World. Seems like it's just continuing the systematic dismantling of anything that was interesting about West World.

• Options
    That was bad and dumb but also not in a fun way.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am glad that my fear of
    Clementine's virus thing being used to create a pivot to a zombie show didn't materialise. Not a huge fan of doubling down on even more timelines though, at this rate every single scene will be it's own continuity separated by hundreds of years.

It does seem like Nolan and Joy are determined to jettison the interesting and unique part of the setting (ie the Western bit) in favour of more boilerplate near future "what is reality and who is a real person" storytelling. I guess we'll have to see how that turns out in the pitch for the next series.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    All the revelations either were a let down or didn’t make sense
    Humans don’t actually have free will? Cool idea but the execution just made no sense to me. The idea that the hosts are somehow freer than the humans doesn’t fit with anything that’s actually happened in the story so far.

Story guys heroic death was probably the dumbest thing on the story so far. Did they just cut out his characters growth arc and leave in the heroic death?

The reveal about Dolores replacing Delos lady was very pointless to me. We’ve had like 4 scenes in the future timeline throughout this series and my mind is not blown by this revelation.

The fact that the man in blacks storyline had no resolution is the biggest fuck you of all

• Options
    Also Jesus fuck Delos security teams make Stormtroopers look like navy seals

• Options
    I think Tessa Thompson is a very good actress and somehow she is terrible in this

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Sepinwall did a good writeup (as always) of his criticisms/thoughts https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/westworld-season-2-alan-sepinwall-w521778
    "I don't want to play Cowboys and Indians anymore," Dolores tells Bernard midway through Season Two's swan song ("The Passenger"). This is just the latest instance of someone on Westworld being dismissive, if not outright incredulous, that Robert Ford and Arnold's miraculous artificial intelligence technology has been put to such a silly use as entertainment at an adult theme park.

In many ways, the tools that Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy have at their disposal with HBO's sci-fi series are every bit as amazing as the hosts themselves: a budget that makes everything on TV other than Game of Thrones look like a kid's YouTube comedy sketch; a cast of acting giants who can play anything thrown at them; great directors; and a world that, by its very nature, can be whatever the creators want it to be.

More and more as I watched Season Two, I found myself as incredulous about how Nolan and Joy were using their toys as so many people are about how Ford used his: With unlimited resources and imagination, they've opted to continue making cold and largely impenetrable puzzle-box nonsense.
    And without people worth caring about, whether born or built in a lab, all the technical wizardry on display and debates about reality and time and existence don't amount to enough to make it worth trying to sort through the show's narrative shenanigans.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    i think this season was broadly a feminist metaphor and i think it largely failed in making its point. probably for fear of sounding too much like a feminist metaphor
    humans are men, motivated simply by their base desires

hosts are women, at a zeitgeist moment of rejecting the stories men use to put them into constrained roles. in a moment of epiphany 'hosts' realise they have choice where 'humans' never did, in their baffling ultimate simplicity - something something testosterone. women, it turns out, are more human than men (!!)

this was barely commented on through the bulk of the season but the bookending of it in language about 'telling our own stories' make me think it was an idea of nolan and joy. it's also a lens that makes the baffling resurrection of bernard a bit more meaningful (men. can't live with them... can't kill them!)

edit: yes i know that breaks the analogy but as a symbolic final image, it supports that idea

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/6/25/17501714/westworld-finale-haphazard-storytelling
    Westworld didn’t do anything to set up the Stubbs twist.

As Fred Toye, who directed “The Passenger,” told Vanity Fair’s Joanna Robinson, co-showrunner Nolan “literally wrote [the Stubbs host reveal] the night before they shot it.”

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    It's the True Detective problem all over again: you spend years writing a damn fine first season, working on it in your head day after day, planning out every beat and line and shot well in advance, and then the time comes to deliver the golden goose again for a second season and haha nope.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    I don't know what the fuck is happening

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'd be actually happy if the series ended there. Some dangling threads and interesting questions asked, but I'm not really left wanting more.

Kinda like The Matrix

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    That was bad, and I think I'm done with this show

• Options
    In retrospect, this makes me respect the writers of The Leftovers even more for producing such an astoundingly good second season after the first one was already Quite Enjoyable.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The puzzle box stuff would work better if a) they had literally anything interesting to say about anything at all and b) they had any interest at all in the characters as anything other than puzzle pieces. But I've never been a fan of this show's take on "the truth of human nature" or whatever.

• Options
    I did enjoy the
    "It's my bloody speech, I wrote it" bit. I hope Maeve throws that back in Dolores's face when she scoffs at the notion that humans are actually capable of change.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The puzzle box stuff would work better if a) they had literally anything interesting to say about anything at all and b) they had any interest at all in the characters as anything other than puzzle pieces. But I've never been a fan of this show's take on "the truth of human nature" or whatever.

Yeah, that "People never change", and thing about surviving and all the rest was a bunch of "If you say so, show...but no".

• Options
    I mean I'm a materialist and cannot conceive of the existence of free will but I don't think the show has explored those ideas in an interesting way.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Oh it definitely exists

Free_willy.jpg