As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Westworld

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I too am down for Itchy and Scratchy Land: Wild Wild West Edition.
    Curious as to the Maze and why Ed Harris wants to find it. Felt like he was a corp spy in the 1st episode. Now I'm not so sure.

Currently thinking it has to with Dr. Ford's new storyline. Not sure though.

Soundtrack is pretty rocking. The player piano sheets definitely make grin. Especially during the heist.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Talking with other game devs about this show and we've all come to an agreement: this is exactly how game development works. Also we apparently need to start waxing philosophy more often.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    How do you think they determine host dick size

Do they make 'em all statistically average, to ensure that all guests can handle 'em? Do they give 'em all paper towel tubes and let the chips fall where they may? Do they have a like Sleep Number dial that you turn to get the size you want?

Enough of the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" bullshit, Westworld. Tell me what these roboys are packing.

I think it was Tube who suggested interchangeable parts for the purposes of cleaning, so following that train of thought we arrive at a scene similar to the "picking out a hat" scene only it's a wall of dicks instead.

I actually think
    that hosts are part biological, aren't they? The Maeve host has an MRSA infection, which is why she's hurting

Edit: whoops, too late

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised by the reaction this show is getting regarding violence, especially from the forum crowd.

They do show the element of people that are just there to play pretend adventure western time, and then that are there to shoot up the place randomly.

But what is the real moral standing of these people?

In GTA you can play the levels. You can go around racking up a wanted level and shooting up the place. You can stop at every traffic light and go around playing bowling mini games. But no one calls you a violent maniac in any of these situations, despite the continually increasing realism of the gameplay. If GTA moves to VR then are you a bad person? Isn't this just GTA or Red Dead Redemption with robots? Is it the fact that they remember what makes it bad? When the robots were more primitive was it okay then?

I think these are the interesting moral ideas the show will probably explore.

Episode 2
    white hat Mcpoyle. He obviously thinks of himself as a good guy, but are we seeing a turn away from his morals when he picks up the can? It seemed representative of him accepting temptation. He wouldn't sleep with a robot hooker. But the milder girl next door representation, perhaps this will allow him to justify a transgression.

Or maybe they just team up... who knows.

Personally I don't play gta as a be a tool simulator. I play it as a tool around simulator, I don't mind killing people while playing the game, but, I don't purposely go out and kill them because they are just in the game.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Just saw the first episode of this last night. Did anyone else recognize the girl from that one State Farm commercial, or was it just me?

Also between the special effects, high quality cast, period sets and costumes, and music licensing, HBO is spending some moneyyyyyy on this show.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    This show is interesting.

That is the word I would use. Not good. Not bad. Interesting. It is doing and saying interesting things and it has my attention for now.

But I am very skeptical of Bad Robot productions that are based around mysterious, unfolding plots. JJ Abrams has too much of a bullshit-to-quality ratio slanted towards bullshit for me to put faith in it.

Like every time Ed Harris' character comes on screen I'm watching it through narrowed eyes, because unless there's a very good storytelling pay-off to his bullshit then he doesn't seem to exist for any more reason than to give this show a Joffrey/Ramsay type character.

I'm not interested. Ironically, if Westworld wants to make a commentary on human appetite for brutality, this particular human doesn't have a huge appetite for brutality for brutality's sake, so it better be fuckin' going somewhere.

After getting burned on shows like Lost and Battlestar Galactica where the "mysteries" where just hack writers masturbating into the camera while anachronistic or tonally clashing classic rock medleys play, I am very touchy about some of the ground Westworld is treading. It can tread very carefully to retain my viewership.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    the first episode of this was particularly excellent. it alluded to red dead redemption and romeo and juliet with equal gravity and meaning - that's hard.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2016
    I really like this show so far, but holy shit there are a LOT of panning shots. Like, 50% of the show are panning shots. Is Michael Bay secretly directing the camera work?

bombardier on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Episode 2
    white hat Mcpoyle. He obviously thinks of himself as a good guy, but are we seeing a turn away from his morals when he picks up the can? It seemed representative of him accepting temptation. He wouldn't sleep with a robot hooker. But the milder girl next door representation, perhaps this will allow him to justify a transgression.

Well, as you see when he gets the hat, he waits until he's off the train to finally put it on. And even then, his friend took it from him and put it on his head a bit forcefully.

I'm sure he'll lose the hat sometime and put a black hat on himself...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »
    I really like this show so far, but holy shit there are a LOT of panning shots. Like, 50% of the show are panning shots. Is Michael Bay secretly directing the camera work?

Well, tbh those shots are fucking gorgeous.. I watched it with a friend and we both were pretty stunned

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Who in their right mind would wear black in a goddamned desert

6F32U1X.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Cool dudes and murderers

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

The Bedouin people?

PSN- AHermano
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Most Muslims?

I mean you look at it thinking, oh it absorbs heat quickly but it also sheds heat more easily as well.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Most Muslims?

I mean you look at it thinking, oh it absorbs heat quickly but it also sheds heat more easily as well.

That's pretty thin and breezy fabric, though, and the cowboy hats are pretty thick

6F32U1X.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I don't even know how deserts work, I'm watching breaking bad and everyone's standing around in a desert wearing like overcoats and shit

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Episode 2

Well, as you see when he gets the hat, he waits until he's off the train to finally put it on. And even then, his friend took it from him and put it on his head a bit forcefully.

I hope that isn't what happens. "Everyone is really a bad guy" is a stupid moral. I hope what happens is more like, it doesn't ultimately matter which part of a black and white dichotomy you see yourself on, it is more complicated than that, and there is more to it than just a personal narrative of being a good person.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    There had better be a montage set to Knights of Cydonia before the end of the season or I want my money back.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I haaaaaaaaate pop music in soundtracks so I don't like the thing everyone thinks is awesome. I'm so special. I don't see what it adds other than "I know that! That's a song I know!" and the vocal line from Paint It Black doesn't really suit being made an instrumental melody.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I haaaaaaaaate pop music in soundtracks so I don't like the thing everyone thinks is awesome. I'm so special. I don't see what it adds other than "I know that! That's a song I know!" and the vocal line from Paint It Black doesn't really suit being made an instrumental melody.

It's just an easter egg really. It can be kinda fun but also immersion dissrupting.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    How do you think they determine host dick size

Do they make 'em all statistically average, to ensure that all guests can handle 'em? Do they give 'em all paper towel tubes and let the chips fall where they may? Do they have a like Sleep Number dial that you turn to get the size you want?

Enough of the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" bullshit, Westworld. Tell me what these roboys are packing.

They showed a significant robot penis in the storage room.
    Average

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Robot hogs could have vibration settings.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    They could have alarms and strobe lights and detect high frequency radiation

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Those things could be friggin' prehensile

The possibilities are limitless, Westworld! Give the people the revolutionary roboners they're itching for!

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Episode 2

I hope that isn't what happens. "Everyone is really a bad guy" is a stupid moral. I hope what happens is more like, it doesn't ultimately matter which part of a black and white dichotomy you see yourself on, it is more complicated than that, and there is more to it than just a personal narrative of being a good person.
    Its not that 'everyone is really a bad guy' and more 'he's conflicted with the route he wants to take'. I could see him go blackhat by the end of the season and help the hosts out with their rebellion or something.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    I do gotta say as much I am giving the MYSTERIES the skeptical-fry.jpg look, I very much appreciate how much thought this show has put into understanding human behaviour towards video games, virtual worlds, and how othering those things can be.

Like they obviously know their shit when it comes to sandbox games, MMOs, and choice-based RPGs.

Like when you hear a dude talking about going "full evil", or Logan telling William to avoid the old man's treasure hunt basically because dude his quest sucks don't put it in your log, or the way the "intensity" of content in the park is gated and zoned. Like you hear that family who come upon Dolores painting that they shouldn't cross the river, because it's too adult for the boy.

So many movies and shows about video games or entertainment in general are written by people who don't know mediums not their own or gloss over the nuances in that medium.

Even Ed Harris' story, thus far, could be seen as a veteran player getting tired of playing the game "as intended" and is now looking for some secret ARG or "endgame".

So definitely a lot of thought has gone into the show. Hopefully the mystery doesn't shit the bed.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah Ed Harris' stuff is (hopefully) going to be like that weird secret door quest in I think everquest or runescape? that someone actually got past recently and they won't tell anyone what happens. But in this case the reveal is tied to some grand scheme behind the park(s).

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    While this show seems to have generated a storm of thinkpieces on the internet after the first episode re: violence towards women (especially rape), I think that's largely due to the fact that it's a HBO show and HBO doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation on that subject due to Game of Thrones treating violence (especially sexual violence) towards women as just a sort of general plot point and cheap drama trick.

But it seems in Westworld, stuff like rape isn't some kind of hamfisted "well gosh we're just trying to be gritty and realistic like the Wild West really was!", since by its nature the park is actually deliberately anachronistic to perform to guest expectations.

No, the violence towards women and that sort of thing in Westworld is because... I guess the message is that humans are monstrous towards anything we've considered an "other"? Which does track with how in real life we play games like GTA or The Sims. Those games give us faux-people who approach real human behavior but are decidedly Not Real, and because of that sharp separation people feel morally comfortable with murdering, torturing, and otherwise tormenting them and taking cathartic delight in it.

Sizemore makes a point in the show of the more human the Hosts are, the less "fun" it is and the more morally troublesome it becomes. Fucking a Host when you're married becomes cheating instead of an advanced form of sex toy. Murdering them gets... weird?

Like while Sizemore is kind of a ghoulish, coked-up shithead he's not entirely wrong about making them so human is actually the wrong track to take and it's important to maintain that ability to know, at all times, they're not real.

edited October 2016
    there's also just a fundamentally different way that the sex and violence is presented in westworld to something like game of thrones. the context is always icky, with the gratuitous stuff almost universally involving the exploitation of the clearly disempowered, and/or the clinical context of the HQ's labs and storage facilities

when game of thrones and other sexposition-heavy hbo style dramas are at their most insightful, you're turned on then feel a little icky about it. westworld works to make sure you're never turned on by the things that ostensibly should do it.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm kind of confused about the timeline of everything.

It's just one day repeating over and over, right? But the guests are there for extended periods. So if they are staying a week they experience the same day 7 times in a row? How do you have big extensive plotlines that only last one day? Or less than that if they start later in the day?

Aistan wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about the timeline of everything.

It's just one day repeating over and over, right? But the guests are there for extended periods. So if they are staying a week they experience the same day 7 times in a row? How do you have big extensive plotlines that only last one day? Or less than that if they start later in the day?

The Hosts seem to have finite narratives that happen unless a Guest interacts with them. Like, the two Milk Bandits are stated to have an extended storyline where one of them turns on the other, but only if a Guest engages their storyline.

Basically it seems like the Hosts have a default daily loop, and they just do that loop every day unless a Guest intercedes in some way, like killing an essential character to their story or something. They're stated to have a limited degree of improvisation when that happens.

Otherwise they just keep going until their narrative is engaged by a Guest. Like I imagine the old man with the eyepatch's goofy treasure hunt takes more than one day given the travel he was describing. If nobody takes him up on it during his day, he falls off the wagon the same time the next morning.

in the first episode the writer also refers to triggering one of the set-pieces "a week early," so there's definitely more to the narratives than day-long loops

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    bsjezz wrote: »
    in the first episode the writer also refers to triggering one of the set-pieces "a week early," so there's definitely more to the narratives than day-long loops

This also confused me.

All we've seen is the first day over and over so where is that extra time being fit in? In this latest episode, white hat and black hat definitely experienced the first day multiple times since that's when Dolores drops that can on the ground.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    From what I can tell, guests stay in the park for multiple days(possible even a couple of weeks) but as someone else pointed out the hosts are on a one day loop until someone triggers one of their quests.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited October 2016
    Oh, I see. I think I understand. Daily loop for the hosts but the guests can make them go on stuff that lasts longer than one day.

So if someone did the bandit quest then even if that took a week and there weren't any resets for the hosts involved in it, from Dolores' point of view it would be the bandits attacking on that one day.

Aistan on
    Aistan wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »

This also confused me.

All we've seen is the first day over and over so where is that extra time being fit in? In this latest episode, white hat and black hat definitely experienced the first day multiple times since that's when Dolores drops that can on the ground.

There is no "first day". The days are relative. Hosts complete their loops according to their own narratives, sort of under their ontological inertia, unless acted upon by an outside force (like a Host engaging their narrative, or fucking with their narrative by removing central characters to that Host's narrative or whatever). From a programming perspective, it would make the most sense to run most of the Hosts on a daily narrative loop, so that no Guest "misses out" on a chance to interact with that Host during their stay (Logan tells William "they're not going anywhere, buy me a drink").

This is especially true of characters like Dolores, who ultimately is a "background extra" unless directly engaged with. We've seen nearly her entire narrative loop unless acted upon by a Host (up until Ed Harris shows up). She doesn't seem super consequential or important, unlike say Hector Escaton or something. So she just kind of totters on repeating the same day until a Guest gets involved.

Other characters clearly have multi-day narratives if engaged by a Guest. Elsewise, who knows how long their narrative is? The Milk Bandits, unless interacted with by a Guest, die at the end of Dolores' daily narrative, killed by Teddy. But we also know that they have their own storyline that doesn't end there if a Guest engages it.

So every Host has a "default state" for their narrative, and it seems to be the case for the ones we've seen thus far that their loop is daily.

But on top of that, there's also like, big events that override everything, and those happen on their own schedule and interrupt every other storyline. Things like Hector's saloon heist. Because it would be really disruptive to the Guests' experience to have that event happening every day (and take away the special feel of it), it's more of a weekly or bi-weekly event (seems to be bi-weekly from the dialogue).

You ever been in Stormwind, picking up and turning in quests when suddenly someone summons Onyxia? It's like that.

Interesting note: So a buddy of mine was watching the second episode with some friends of his. Bunch of straight dudes in their twenties, who have the sort of conventional views you'd expect from that.

Anyway so when Logan gets off the train and walks off with a lady and a fellow, they laughed and were like "Aw, look at that pimp, he takin' all the ass his money pays for" and were impressed. These were also dudes who were big fans of Oberyn Martell.

It's a weird sort of shift, culturally, were bisexual men in particular are less viewed as deviant, queer, or "gay" and more like... so powerful and manly it don't fuckin matter. They'll fuck that dude and look like a bad-ass doing it.

Interesting thing.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Interesting note: So a buddy of mine was watching the second episode with some friends of his. Bunch of straight dudes in their twenties, who have the sort of conventional views you'd expect from that.

Anyway so when Logan gets off the train and walks off with a lady and a fellow, they laughed and were like "Aw, look at that pimp, he takin' all the ass his money pays for" and were impressed. These were also dudes who were big fans of Oberyn Martell.

It's a weird sort of shift, culturally, were bisexual men in particular are less viewed as deviant, queer, or "gay" and more like... so powerful and manly it don't fuckin matter. They'll fuck that dude and look like a bad-ass doing it.

Interesting thing.

Oberyn Martell made it easier for my conservative best-friend to handle me telling him I was bisexual.

It is absolutely a thing.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Tube wrote: »

i only liked black hole sun on old timey piano because

man you just don't hear black hole sun in movies or tv very often

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png