As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Westworld

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I just want this first season to end identically to the first season of Lost

Just Ed Harris staring down the entrance of the maze and we don't get to see what he sees

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    ZonugalNirya
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I think episode 3 in particular had a bit of, as someone in D&D put it, the Game of Thrones vibe of "let's check in on every character for 2 minutes."

i kinda thought the opposite
    ed harris's storyline wasn't touched on, nor was bernard's relationship with theresa, and the writer dude didn't even appear on screen.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Matev
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    What I'm enjoying the most so far:
    The mythos
    Evan Rachel Wood
    Whatever Ed Harris is doing

What I'm enjoying the least so far:
    Sidse Babett Knudsen
    Simon Quarterman
    Every interaction between Sidse Babett Knudsen and Simon Quarterman

iwantanswers3.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    What the hell is going on with Sidse's accent?

Like I get she's Dutch but she's not speaking with a Dutch accent. Instead it sounds like shes trying to do an American accent but can't decide on one.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I did have to laugh when Bernard brought out Alice in Wonderland.

That is such a TV writer move, they frickin love that book.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Olivaw
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

The pilot went hard in the paint on the Shakespeare references, too

There's basically an invisible clock counting down to a "chess as metaphor for power" scene

Maybe even a "tarot reading as foreshadowing" scene

knitdanel_vicioBucketmanTofystedethOlivaw
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

The pilot went hard in the paint on the Shakespeare references, too

There's basically an invisible clock counting down to a "chess as metaphor for power" scene

Maybe even a "tarot reading as foreshadowing" scene

I'm holding out for "white character goes on a vision quest"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    the thing about the references is that they're done well. they're not obtuse for the sake of seeming smart, they're accessible, and they aren't incorporated cheaply. the shakespeare citation in the first episode not only works on a basic level if you don't get the reference ("these violent delights have violent ends" is clear foreshadowing for the ultimate fate of the guests), but it's also linking the particular episode, about lovers scripted to die a horrible death every night, to the classic ill-fated love story; more than that, the context of the quote within romeo and juliet is interesting, as the following lines - And in their triumph die, like fire and powder / Which as they kiss consume - are eerily resonant with the western genre. that's a few lines of dialogue in the show that's reaching out in three different ways. it's good.

the alice in wonderland book was working hard too.
    i read alice in wonderland to my son. he loves it. so when it was incorporated into the montage of bernard's kids death at the end, maybe it had a bit extra emotional resonance for me. but you also have to admit the exact quote:
    Dear, dear! How queer everything is to-day! And yesterday things went on just as usual. Was I the same when I got up this morning? But if I'm not the same, the next question is, 'Who in the world am I?'

is pretty damned good for dolores' storyline, and the blonde-in-a-blue-dress costuming should have made it obvious that the link was coming eventually. right?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    LegacyA Dabble Of Theloniusvegeta_666JacobkoshKetarAbdhyiusBucketmanHacksawKanaSaurfangGizzyTofystedethFawst
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Like I get she's Dutch but she's not speaking with a Dutch accent. Instead it sounds like shes trying to do an American accent but can't decide on one.

She's Danish, or maybe you mean her character on the show...

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

She's Danish and to me it sounds pretty much like a Danish person who's spent a lot of time around Americans.

I'm going off this based on the few Danish friends I had at my international schools, but I didn't clock it as anything odd.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    RichardScosglenHermanoBucketmanDyvim TvarKana
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah her accent is, like, odd, but didn't feel weird or fake or anything

I just haven't heard too many Danish accents

CYpGAPn.png
    Danish, not Dutch, my bad for not taking two seconds to check an IMDB page.

Basically there are scenes that sound like she's speaking with her normal accent, and scenes where it sounds like she's trying to do an American accent, but not always the same American accent.

Like one scene she sounds like she's from Upstate New York and it's super jarring

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Most foreigners talk pretty stupid honestly

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    UnbreakableVow
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well, they aren't saying what you just said so compared to you, they sound pretty smart.

Blake T on
    This is a condensed version of Dolores' story arc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ht-ZyJOV2k

AbdhyiusHacksaw
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I rewatched the 70s Westworld, the first time since...I dunno, I was 14?
    Ho boy, that movie. It's funny, all I distinctly remembered going in was Yul Brynner - turns out, not much besides him is great. Maybe I just fail to look at it with a 70s cinema sensibility, but it's goofy and weirdly paced.
    One thing I could not get out of my head: James Brolin looked like a smiling Christian Bale the whole movie. Eerie!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    As someone surrounded by danish/dutch etc people speaking english all day every day

Her accent sounds perfectly normal and shes speaking 100% in a natural normal accented way

Thats on you

okay

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Basically there are scenes that sound like she's speaking with her normal accent, and scenes where it sounds like she's trying to do an American accent, but not always the same American accent.

Like one scene she sounds like she's from Upstate New York and it's super jarring

That kinda is how we foreigners end up talking a lot of the time! "jumbled bits and pieces" p much is my accent

ftOqU21.png
    Dyvim Tvar
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

That kinda is how we foreigners end up talking a lot of the time! "jumbled bits and pieces" p much is my accent
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

But more seriously, yeah, I know a couple of Danes and quite a few other Scandinavians online, and the accent can't really be placed in the same way English or American accents are, but it's fairly consistent across people.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    She sounds strange because she is a bad actress being given the wrong lines

• bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    It'd be awesome if in the last episode of Westworld, were the Hosts to be cleared out, either through their gaining of independence, or some brutal system wipe, that WestWorld was repopulated and rebranded Deadwood. So the first episode of Deadwood actually is the start of an ongoing story line that follows WestWorld and we just don't notice the extras as the human players in town.

Hacksaw
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    So, not one, but both of the whores on this show come into my store.

They're both very, very nice people.

It's also hard to tell somebody, "Uh, hey, good work!" when saying so requires you to acknowledge that you've seen them naked.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

It's also hard to tell somebody, "Uh, hey, good work!" when saying so requires you to acknowledge that you've seen them naked.

i mean

maybe for you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

ZonugalPoorochondriacRaijin Quickfootel_vicioEtiowsaBucketmanDyvim TvarMatevPenguin IncarnateAbdhyiusDevlin_DragonusNiryaTofystedethDedwrekkaGnizmo
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I dunno, it's never stopped me from praising my dentist

Al_watRaijin QuickfootRorshach KringleA Dabble Of TheloniusPonyBucketmanHacksawDyvim TvarMatevPenguin IncarnateKanaVeldrinTofystedethStiltsDedwrekka
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

I dunno, it's never stopped me from praising my dentist

.... I've got so many questions, I'm not even sure which one to start with.

Kwoaru
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I agreed with that post but I've never seen my dentist naked.

Legacy
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

No, but you've seen Pooro's dentist naked. I mean who hasn't?

Rorshach KringleBucketmanKanaBlake T
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Butler wrote: »

No, but you've seen Pooro's dentist naked. I mean who hasn't?

True

Pony
    i would have significantly less to say to some of my acquaintances if i couldn't talk about how good they are at being naked

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Dyvim Tvar
    i would have significantly less to say to some of my acquaintances if i couldn't talk about how good they are at being naked

And the world would be a better place.

I have to say the most consistently realistic aspect of this show is how every department thinks every other department is a bunch of fuck ups and idiots and is primarily concerned with covering their own asses.

Dyvim TvarMatevThe JudgeCommander ZoomKanaAbdhyiusvegeta_666Devlin_DragonusKaplarNiryaDedpuppyGizzyJayKaosDoctorArchTofystedethGR_ZombieMortal SkyHyperBalladOlivawmasterofmetroid

no it wouldn't

then it'd mean i'd have to talk to you nevernude chucklefucks more

and nobody wants that

6vjsgrerts6r.png

no it wouldn't

then it'd mean i'd have to talk to you nevernude chucklefucks more

and nobody wants that

I'd be alright with it. But then I have crushing depression from loneliness so I might not be the best judge.

Rorshach Kringle
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So I finally watched the premiere of this and I liked it a lot!
    no deeper thoughts beyond that just yet
    the bit with the fly was very good

Penguin IncarnateAJR
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    This show is great. I hope the mysteries never end.

Frankly the only one I want them to solve before the series finale is
    the location of the room where Bernard and Dolores have their little chats.

rhylithBucketman
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I am loving this

poo
    ZonugalHermano
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think this show would actually be better if they weren't allowed to swear

I've never seen more forced uses of "fuck" in my life

6F32U1X.png
    Medium DaveLordSolarMacharius
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm sorry the best moment in the show happened tonight

"Oh....upgrade!"

Transporter on
    JacobkoshSnicketysnickBucketmanRandy Butternubbs
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Some questions answered tonight, only a couple more posed.
    I know William and Logan's story is technically the main plot, but I am way more fascinated by the Man in Black and the stuff he's getting up to. I'm surprised that with him coming to the park as long as he has, he apparently hasn't run into Armistice or Hector before. Is it because they're technically White Hat end game and he rolls his own brand of Black Hat?

Also apparent confirmation that he not a sentient host given his quick exchange with the other Black Hats running with the Eschaton Gang since he runs some foundation outside of WW and this is his vacation.

Ford is either trying to bury Arnold's Legacy or uncover it. Likely uncover since apparently Wyatt's a part of the Maze and Ford just re implemented him. The Maze might also be a path to sentience, given the conversation at the start of the episode.

Still got me on the hook for a bit yet. Things should heat up more this next episode I expect.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    el_vicio