As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the party I've been planning WILL 99% get busted what do I do

hessman67hessman67 Registered User new member
Basically I'm throwing a party and I'm going all out. Maybe like 80 people. We all know the usual high school party ingredients but now I must say that two days before it's supposed to go down things have changed. Pretty much one of my dads friends lost his house so we built him an apartment in the basement, pretty nice place, my buddies and I assumed he would leave with my parents to go to a wedding or something but now he isn't. We've gotten into trouble before and my dads friend never ratted us out, and my dad even said it wouldn't be right for him to do so. But that was little things like smoking pot or ripping my golf cart around and messing stuff up. This is 80 people and a shit ton of weed and alcohol. You tell me, is it still worth a shot if all these people wanna come here? its too late to cancel on them it's happening tomorrow.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Don't throw the party.

It is absolutely not too late to cancel.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Do you really need to ask internet strangers to confirm that throwing an underage rager in your parents house while they are out of town is a bad idea?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    No, it's not worth a shot. Putting that many teenagers together with "a shit ton" of illegal intoxicants is begging for trouble even if you could guarantee you wouldn't get caught. Which you can't.

• November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    The worst case is not your family friend ratting you out.

Worst case is cops busting the party and your Dad's friend doing time/fines for contributing to the delinquency of minors.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, I did that in high school, a fight broke out, a bunch of us got arrested, and wasn't allowed to walk in my high school graduation because of it. So... don't do it.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    don't shit where you live

if you aren't 100% cool that the place you're at can host a party, don't host it. If it comes to that just turn people away at the door.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    This party is a terrible idea, cancel it now

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Yeah, cancel. It may seem like a big deal with so many people involved, but it really isn't. Just cancel the party.

Then again, I'd advice you to cancel even if your dad's friend wasn't around. Because it's your parents' house and you'll feel like shit for a very long time if things go wrong. I know because I threw that exact party once, complete with uninvited guests arriving, neighbors complaining, the police getting involved, and some of my mom's jewelry being stolen.

MSL59.jpg
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Even if your dad's friend was not going to be in the basement, there's no way you'd be able to clean up the place in time after 80 teenagers trash it while drunk and stoned. Unless you live miles out in the countryside, your neighbours will call the cops, too, because it will be NOISY.

How about cutting out the middle man and just going down the police precinct to smoke pot and drink in the reception area? It will amount to the same thing. I can't believe anyone outside a teen sitcom would be so stupid.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I mean, even if he's gone there's a high chance of getting the cops called on you with that many people and underage drinking and drugs, unless you live way out somewhere with few or no neighbors.

My brother threw a party in high school once while the parents were out of town and he only invited maybe 10-15 people. But friends of friends started pouring in and it grew to 50-60. Brother wasn't even drinking or enjoying himself because he was so paranoid about trying to keep things under control with that many drunk teenagers in the house. Despite that, the neighbors noticed all the cars/noise, cops were called and brother got in serious shit including a fine, mandatory community service and got kicked off the varsity tennis team.

Not. Worth.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    As a resident party goer in my college years, and previous undergraduate fraternity president, I also advise to cancel. People will be bummed, but if they are really your friends they'll understand the situation. And if anyone shows up anyway, explain to them the situation, turn them away, and close the door. Don't get persuaded to have a party anyway just because the people who won't be held responsible show up to have a good time. It's 100% valid for you to say no, this isn't safe and I changed my mind, sorry.

KoopahTroopah on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You can use the dad's friend in the basement as a nice excuse as to why the party is suddenly off. No-one is going to want to party under the glare of even the coolest old geezer.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    To elaborate on the "dont shit where you eat" wisdom: If you are going to hold a party of that scale you never, ever, ever hold it at your place. Doesn't matter what kind of party it is:
    • For one, fire code prohibits it (which in your case is the least of your concerns) but should something go wrong people could die. This alone could lead to legal action against you if reported.
    • People can and will steal your shit. There is always that one guy. You can't monitor 80-90 people in your parent's house. People will find things they shouldn't and take things they shouldn't.
    • People can (and at your age definitely will) end up having sex on your, your parent's, and any other beds or surfaces possible. Also barfing, destroying of your own bathrooms, you name it.
    • It will be noisy, cops will arrive, you live there and can't flee. Both you and the guy downstairs will be held liable for distributing alcohol to minors (possibly also your parents for neglect). You will go to JuV, the adults will get serious fines and possible face jail time if someone gets injured by the folks leaving the party drunk.
    • It will take probably 8 straight hours after the party to do a full cleaning at that scale, and full cleaning will involve replacing (not vaccuumin, but actually replacing) your carpets and pads and probably a considerable amount of furniture breakage. You do not have seating for that quantity of people (most residential houses can hold, at most 15-25 people comfortably at the high end). People will be standing, moving inside to outside, and wrecking your floors. Carpets cost ~2-3 dollars per square foot. For an average household you are looking at 3k-5k before labor to replace the carpeting (and thats with the cheapest carpets).

Don't shit where you eat. You want to throw a huge party? Find an outdoor venue. You want a smallish party of 10-15 friends, things are a bit better but still don't have alcohol you dolt. You will be reported and your future wrecked.

Enc on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The only large parties I went to that didn't seem shitty and constantly at risk of being broken up by cops at that age were bonfires where the kids had a farm or orchard out in the country with no neighbors and the parents were home but didn't come monitor everyone constantly.

It means people could do whatever, not ruin a house and there was someone there in the event of an emergency. I admit it may not have been the best parenting, but usually it was just the parents understanding that kids are going to be kids, they'd rather mitigate the risks.

Don't trash a house. You legitimately have no concept of how hard it is to earn money or pay for things. Don't be disrespectful to people who are willing to let you stay in the place alone.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Large parties on your own property are more a bother than anything. People are assholes and will steal or wreck your shit. Even regularly throwing parties of 20-30 in college I was stunned at how many people I had to throw out for trying to steal shitty DVD's or food out of our fridge.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    You don't ever want to be the guy that throws the party. Even if you don't get arrested, your parents house will get destroyed. What possible benefit is there in this?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is the worst idea I've ever heard.

I don't understand "too late to cancel". Like, too late for what? What is going to happen if you tell everybody, "It's off"? Are you going to be ostracized by your friends? If so, your friends are shit and you should get new ones. High school is one tiny part of your life; I know when you're in the thick of it it seems like being a social pariah is the worst thing to ever happen to you, but there is so much more to life than high school.

Cancel the party. High school social acceptance is not worth the fallout, mess, and possibly criminal record you will be inflicting on yourself and others.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also, I once threw a party in High School I had to cancel night of - no one even mentioned it on Monday other than "sucks you had to cancel". It's not a big deal.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2016
    Asking us to help you get away with having a bunch of underage kids drinking is asking for us to give you advice on doing something illegal, which is verboten. There's enough here to convince you to not be dumb, so don't be.

Iruka on
This discussion has been closed.