As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Oh man...

If you get a chance to try Insight's Crazy Aunt beer I highly recommend it.

It's a gin and tonic beer and it's fucking delicious.

Shorts has one like that in Michigan called Melt My Brain

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Went to both Tired Hands spots yesterday not realizing they were doing a big can release at the time. Wasn't going to mess with that, the line was apparently around 300 deep three hours before they even opened.

The first location had the Pumpkin Spice Latte Milkshake DIPA on tap, which was one of the can releases for the day. Basically a very smooth and kinda creamy IPA with a little squash, cinnamon, and coffee flavor. It was delicious. Then I went to the second spot, which is where they were selling the cans, figuring the crowd had died down. It had, and it turns out they still had some cans of the Milkshake left, so I got a pack! Hooray for dumb luck.

hailtothekale on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    anybody here home brew? I'm going to start some root beer in november and wanted to get some opinions / advice

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yep! I've made soda, beer and mead. Ask away c

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    ok!

For root beer, I see people using champagne yeast or a neutral ale yeast to carbonate. I'd like to avoid blowing up my grolsch bottles, so I'm thinking ale yeast as it shuts down at lower temps.

I was also thinking of doing several small batches at a time to get flavor down. Is it better to do a bunch at first or should I make sure they carbonate correctly before going all in.

last pressing question on my mind

when the root beer achieves the desired carbonation, you put it in the fridge to stop fermentation and to keep the bottle from exploding. When you take it out, does fermentation pick right back up?

my plan is to get the recipe I'd like and bring a dozen bottles to thanksgiving, but I don't want them to explode from being jostled on the ride over!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'd personally feel pretty nervous about glass bottles for soda in general. There is no easy way to know when they are pressurized before refrigerating them right? Where you can just feel for firmness with a soda bottle.

Also yeah don't leave them out of the fridge yeast is a resilient critter and will more than likely pick up again without hefty filtration, freezing and or chemically killing it.

Also if you get a good recipe together let me know I would like to try it too.

Though I might have to reduce the batch because my stock pot is only 10 quarts

Tallahasseeriel on
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'd personally feel pretty nervous about glass bottles for soda in general. There is no easy way to know when they are pressurized before refrigerating them right? Where you can just feel for firmness with a soda bottle.

Also yeah don't leave them out of the fridge yeast is a resilient critter and will more than likely pick up again without hefty filtration, freezing and or chemically killing it.

Pop the lid a bit =)

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I have not naturally carbonated soda but the ale yeast sounds like a good bet. I would do a test run to see how long it takes for them to carbonate. Once you know that time frame put them in the fridge a day before they would normally be done, then on your trip they will warm up and finish carbonating and be ready to drink.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Pop the lid a bit =)

Oh right the resealable bottles...

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    What's the deal with that crowdfunding to buy ABInBev that keeps showing up on my Facebook feed?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What's the deal with that crowdfunding to buy ABInBev that keeps showing up on my Facebook feed?

A scam, probably!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

A scam, probably!

You can buy ABInBev, the ticker is BUD...

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

Just a joke, apparently.

Shedding light on the fact that ABinBev are shitty people doing shitty things to craft brewers.

The crowdfunding campaign needs to raise approx $213B to cover the sale, lol.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Tongue-in-cheek-but-let-converse-about-the-whys kind of deal.

If the BA's independent graphic/sticker promotion from a few months back was, say, 90 percent designed as legit and 10 percent designed as bait for InBev to stupidly flail at, the 200+ billion kickstarter thing seems like a reversal of that ratio.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The backlash from ab...... fans? Has been interesting.

I'm like

Do you know how much money that is? It's a joke. Would it have been more obvious if they were trying to raise a gazillion?

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Deschutes Hapzeit Autumn IPA is tasty. Picked it up on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Got some nice Belgian flavors.

Almost grabbed 90 min ipa since you talk it up, but wasn't in the mood for something Imperial strong. Though Hapzeit turned out to be 7%.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • useruser Registered User regular
    Deschutes Hapzeit Autumn IPA is tasty. Picked it up on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Got some nice Belgian flavors.

Almost grabbed 90 min ipa since you talk it up, but wasn't in the mood for something Imperial strong. Though Hapzeit turned out to be 7%.

I've used Hapzeit to cook brats before, tasty to drink and tasty to eat.

Just picked up some Fat Tire Belgium White. One of my favorite drinking beers this year.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Working the Dry Dock 12th anniversary party today. And we get a case to take home so

Good day

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I wish fresh hop season was year-round, because it's the only time I'm at all interested in the hops obsession that every brewer seems to be in the grip of

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I'm off beer because I tasted the forbidden nectar of a Paloma the other night and it rocked. My. World.

So I'm a teacher and one of my little kids' parents works here soooooooooooo now I have a hookup

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Nice!

You should see if they can get you some beer sometime as well.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Deadfall wrote: »
    So I'm a teacher and one of my little kids' parents works here soooooooooooo now I have a hookup

"I have safety-pinned this chart to your child which clearly indicates the grades they can receive for the following beers . . ."

The Judge wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »

"I have safety-pinned this chart to your child which clearly indicates the grades they can receive for the following beers . . ."
    Spoilers cause I'm on mobile and not sure if it's huge or not.
    mgutnbmp04s0.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Rorshach Kringle

I just drank a big ol $15 glass of beer and it was delicious and I'd do it again.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wastrel

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Satiated wastrel

It's like

At age 35 I no longer care and I'll just say it

Warlock Pumpkin Imperial Stout is one of my favorite beers of all time

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I love Dogfish Head Sea Quench. I was afraid that it was just a seasonal summer thing, but the fact that I just bought a six-pack in late October makes me hopeful that it's available year-round.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Hah, week old draft was in here. Sum up that's more coherent: darkness day was fun, missed the super limited cask stuff though. Twin cities have a bunch of really good breweries and we got really time limited by being three hours away.

Hopefully if seaquench is a year round offering it will make its way out to where I am, haven't seen it in stores yet.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of The Bruery since their stuff is mostly sours and/or super fucking expensive, but So Happens It's Tuesday might be one of my favorite all time beers.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    The Bruery and Cascade are a lot alike in that regard.

Both make utterly unique sours (plus old ale for TB), both bottle in wine-sized containers, and both incur disbelief at the pricing.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hey.

Hey @Clint Eastwood.

Mezcal paloma.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "Dove hooch?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Anyone that likes barrel aged stouts should buy Boulevard whiskey barrel stout if it's available. Reasonably priced and great.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Founders announced that their final barrel aged bottle for the year is going to be Canadian breakfast stout. In store December 1st. I'm guessing my local store might get a single case, but at $25 a bomber they shouldn't move too quickly to not get one (and then sit on it for three years while waiting for "the perfect occasion")

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The local corner shop is selling a Rum Barrel Aged Pumking, which I've not had before. It's lovely.

I love the fall.

President Evil on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Hey.

Hey @Clint Eastwood.

Mezcal paloma.

This is painfully intriguing and made worse by my meager funds. Thanks a lot

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Went to both Tired Hands spots yesterday not realizing they were doing a big can release at the time. Wasn't going to mess with that, the line was apparently around 300 deep three hours before they even opened.

The first location had the Pumpkin Spice Latte Milkshake DIPA on tap, which was one of the can releases for the day. Basically a very smooth and kinda creamy IPA with a little squash, cinnamon, and coffee flavor. It was delicious. Then I went to the second spot, which is where they were selling the cans, figuring the crowd had died down. It had, and it turns out they still had some cans of the Milkshake left, so I got a pack! Hooray for dumb luck.

Those guys are awesome but yeah their can releases get a bit nuts. Funk and Levante have that problem sometimes too but not nearly as bad. Sole seems to not be quite so crazy. I like how Vault does it best since they presale on line and you can pick it up anytime during the week.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.