As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] Now! No no, the new one.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    if they really cared about the art they would actually hit each other and not get paid for it

I've known directors who believe this

They're abusive pieces of shit

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Depends on the actor tbh
    Johnny Depp and Mel Gibson in a boxing movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Id watch a failed take where Miles Teller gets fucking nailed hard by a ballistic chair

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Actors swinging at air a couple inches in front of another dude to knock them down definitely took me out of the DD fight scenes once or twice

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I mean, you gotta do something

You don't want your actors actually hitting each other

There are all sorts of little tricks that allow for clear impacts without them being real hits.

I mean, the Matrix films had actors "actually hitting" each other.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The fascist one?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Poor timing that

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I kinda lost interest in both Luke Cage and Daredevil season 2 well before the end of the season. Though I think I did get further with Luke Cage, I'm pretty sure I only watched...one or two episodes of Daredevil season 2? They just...I dunno, I think I need them to get to the point faster.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Ms. Marvel continues to be wonderful. I love the tackling of contemporary teenage issues mixed in with a superhero world, where
    a literal troll is ruining people's lives for fun, and threatening Ms. Marvel that it will reveal her identity and being enthralled with the fear it causes her is both subtle as a brick and wonderfully done. The interaction with the classmate who got doxxed as well and her personal photos is well done as well.

If you dropped Ms. Marvel due to Civil War II I heavily recommend picking it back up.

All-New Wolverine is also phenomenal. The storyline was good, and the wrap-up of part of the current arc was poignant and sweet.
    Using Jean Grey to dig into Wolverine's mind while Gabby fought her while Wolverine was going crazy because of the trigger scent was intense. The scene in Laura's mind was really sad, with a memory of her mother reading her Pinocchio was a really good metaphor for Laura, that plays throughout the issue, until finally, her strings are snapped and she is free.

As well if someone else wants to make the next thread for Marvel, go right ahead. I haven't planned any good OP so please if anyone has/wants to make one, jump right in.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Ms. Marvel continues to be wonderful. I love the tackling of contemporary teenage issues mixed in with a superhero world, where
    a literal troll is ruining people's lives for fun, and threatening Ms. Marvel that it will reveal her identity and being enthralled with the fear it causes her is both subtle as a brick and wonderfully done. The interaction with the classmate who got doxxed as well and her personal photos is well done as well.

If you dropped Ms. Marvel due to Civil War II I heavily recommend picking it back up.

All-New Wolverine is also phenomenal. The storyline was good, and the wrap-up of part of the current arc was poignant and sweet.
    Using Jean Grey to dig into Wolverine's mind while Gabby fought her while Wolverine was going crazy because of the trigger scent was intense. The scene in Laura's mind was really sad, with a memory of her mother reading her Pinocchio was a really good metaphor for Laura, that plays throughout the issue, until finally, her strings are snapped and she is free.

As well if someone else wants to make the next thread for Marvel, go right ahead. I haven't planned any good OP so please if anyone has/wants to make one, jump right in.

In regards to the All New Wolverine spoiler, does that mean
    She's cured of the trigger scent now? Because that would be great to finally have that cleared from Laura going forward.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Is Thunderbolts and Uncanny Avengers worth following now? Steve Rogers Cap book says those two series expand on what's happening in the broader Hydra Cap story.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I just watched that Colleen Wing fight scene with all audio muted.

I gotta say, I actually find it way more convincing. I'm on board with the folks saying that the lackluster audio was the primary reason the fight felt weak.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Is Thunderbolts and Uncanny Avengers worth following now? Steve Rogers Cap book says those two series expand on what's happening in the broader Hydra Cap story.

I haven't been reading Tunderbolts because the art was a huge turnoff, but Uncanny Avengers has been great from the start.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited February 2017

In regards to the All New Wolverine spoiler, does that mean
    She's cured of the trigger scent now? Because that would be great to finally have that cleared from Laura going forward.
    That's the implication. Jean, Gabby, Warren, and Remy (yeah the tease of Wolverine fighting Gambit at the end of last issue and the cover of issue 17 is a lie. He knocked her out at the end of 16 and she wakes up after the fight) devise a plan to use some trigger scent they have to inject it into Laura while Gabby is in the room (as she has a healing factor and can't feel pain) while Jean from outside of the room connects into her mind during the blood rage. Gambit and Angel are there in case shit goes bad, and to keep SHIELD out.

Once the trigger scent rage has started, Jean wonders through Laura's mind and finds her hiding with her mom as she reads her the story Pinocchio, as it is a safe space in her mind so she can't feel or here the screams of those she is hurting. She believes herself to be locked in the room as well, with no way out. Jean helps her by talking to her and showing her she can get up and go through the door, she doesn't have to be trapped in there. The whole thing being a metaphor (as the Pinocchio references in the issue show as well) to help Laura be able to break free of the conditioning. The last page of the issue is Laura holding a rabbit (which if she could do successfully they knew the trigger scent response was cured as she didn't slaughter it), Laura says she has gotten it under control and everyone is safe.

The last panel Laura says:

"You can lock the bunker door (Kimura is coming to the bunker they are locked into). I'm free. It's safe now."

The last panel then ends with a quote from Pinocchio:

"How ridiculous I was as a marionette".

never die on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Legion was really good. The visuals are great. It plays around a lot with perception and memory. It's got a nice story hook. It's looking to be better than all the X-Men movies.
    They establish so many ways David's memories and perception could be altered/manipulated. There's his power, his schizophrenia diagnosis, the anti-psychotic drugs, and other mutants implanting/changing memories.

It's interesting how the flashbacks seem to be set in a different decade than the present. His sister was dressed like she was in the 60's. The decor in the mental hospital also seem like they're from the 60's. And they didn't seem to have tablets or computers, but I think there were some flat screen TV's. Also, there's no mention of mutants or super powers in any of the flashbacks.

I really like how the show does not shy away from mutant powers. The whole escape was great. It was surprising to see powers being used so brazenly when the flashbacks and the government's precautions seem to imply that they're trying to keep the existence of mutants covered up. I'm excited to see more powers and creative use of those powers.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The fascist one?

Doesn't look anything like Captain America.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm watching Luke Cage for the first time.

I liked the "benign neglect" scene.

Also the music has been pretty great so far.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It still kinda feels like old man logan undermines Laura as Wolverine, considering he is in all the usual team spots

Has old man logan met grumpy grandpa sabertooth yet?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It still kinda feels like old man logan undermines Laura as Wolverine, considering he is in all the usual team spots

They're both on Weapon X so they will be meeting soon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I agree. I'm still annoyed that she is on none of the team books after IvX, but Old Man Logan is in two in top of being in his own book.

never die on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So I finally picked up the last trade of Superior Foes of Spider-Man and it was real good. Turns out that when Nick Spencer isn't writing about nazis he writes some utterly fatastic irredeemable scumbags. I've kinda liked the the first volume of The Fix, but there is something much more charming about having all your criminals being supervillains, and having that sort of craziness in the world.

Also picked up Mockingbird vol 1 and that is an odd book. I think i liked it.

Also picked up the last volume of Chew. It's funny. Chew was the first comic I ever bought, and the one that made me start building my own collection. It's now the first major comic series that I've followed from the beginning to the end (well, apparently the first volume came out in 2009, and I bought the first 4 volumes in 2011, but still). It's been an odd comic to follow, as it's jumped around in tone and seriousness, but still remained really focused on the characters. When it was good, it was very good. It had a fantastic sense of charm and energy to it. Thinking about those first 4 volumes that I bought, it's weird how they are still quite a bit more grounded, if still not all that serious. But they took that undercurrent of "wacky and grotesque" and made it front and centre, and I feel like the wackiness kinda lost me, and it often all ended up feeling a bit formulaic. The creators' vision of what is "grotesque" also went to some unpleasant places at times, and I still think about the Women Write About Comics article.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I agree. I'm still annoyed that she is on one of the team books after IvX, but Old Man Logan is in two in top of being in his own book.

I think that either she needs to be the Wolverine, or she needs to be Laura. She should be carving her own path, and taking herbname as her own, considering she started life as a weapon. Which is also why she should never let anyone call her X-23.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    part of me wants to make a new thread with the title "Marvel Never!: Fascism has never been less fashionable!"

• Options
    part of me wants to make a new thread with the title "Marvel Never!: Fascism has never been less fashionable!"

Do it. No one else has claimed the next Marvel thread to make the OP and this is about to hit 100 pages.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I agree. I'm still annoyed that she is on one of the team books after IvX, but Old Man Logan is in two in top of being in his own book.

I think that either she needs to be the Wolverine, or she needs to be Laura. She should be carving her own path, and taking herbname as her own, considering she started life as a weapon. Which is also why she should never let anyone call her X-23.

Totally. I think they are actually adressing the X-23 part in the All New Wolverine book some, with her not really wanting to be called X-23 anymore.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    They're recasting the Minoru from Dr strange? That's.....weird?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have to wonder if Legion is the last thing Fox wanted when they floated out the idea "X-Men TV show"

A character nobody's heard of as the lead of an aggressively formbreaking and weird show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is Normal Wolverine still dead?

This is probably the longest death of a character that popular I can remember

I wonder if he'll actually stay that way

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Oh look, another event that will shake the Marvel Universe to its core. That core must be might fuckin sick of being shaken, it happens so often.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Nothing will ever be the same.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    This isn't about heroes fighting heroes, it's about heroes fighting a bad guy*

*captain america.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Is Normal Wolverine still dead?

This is probably the longest death of a character that popular I can remember

I wonder if he'll actually stay that way

That popular is a tough one to crack, because Wolverine is more popular than everyone else

But I think Jean Grey and Professor Xavier should both be held up as similar tier examples

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Jean Grey is the current reigning champion, having been dead for 13 years now

Xavier's been dead for almost five years, Logan's coming up on three

Three years is actually a pretty standard superhero death time period, Thor was "dead" for three years in the 80s, and also from 2004-2007, Steve Rogers was dead from 2007 to 2010, etc.

• Options
    Young Jean Grey has fairly effectively supplanted Old Jean Grey, but that's still like eight years if you count that way

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I still think Secret Empire might end up being good.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    On that note, is Logan really dead if Old Man Logan is on like 4 different teams

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'd say he's about as dead as Captain America is dead at the moment.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Marvel's thing the last few years seems to be to take a killed off character and then replace it with an alternate/ different aged version of themselves.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
This discussion has been closed.