As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Games blamed for tragedy (per usual)

DrLlamaDrLlama Registered User new member
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Like always, a crazy old nut-job who has likely never picked up a controller in his life is blaming a video game for violence; this time, the VT Massacre and counterstrike.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18220228/

Despite the fact that the murderer had no games or consoles in his possession (just a computer), CS is being blamed because some of his high school class mates remembered he played it.

Jack Thompson, the attack dog, even sent this statement to Bill Gates because Microsoft released an Xbox version of counterstrike -- Once again, the murderer had no consoles.

"Mr. Gates, your company is potentially legally liable (for) the harm done at Virginia Tech. Your game, a killing simulator, according to the news that used to be in the Post, trained him to enjoy killing and how to kill."

The upside to this newspost is it actually lets a few of the Gamer advocates out there get their 2 cents in.

DrLlama on

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    This is nothing new. People will always try to find something to push the blame onto. Jack likes using videogames.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not only have we had several threads on this; this is the second time that MSNBC article has been linked to in horror - but it's actually a quite good look at how ridiculous blaming videogames is..

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    DrLlamaDrLlama Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    Sorry for the repost - ii jsut spotted it and thhought i'd spread it. Let it fade into obcurity liek the others :)

DrLlama on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, if you want to chime in on the topic, the relevant thread is likely in the first two pages, here. This one is being unceremoniously locked.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.