As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was just a shower thought this morning about "how are wave-forms actually 'hitting' physical particles to produce the problems that result in cancer".

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, it was just a shower thought this morning about "how are wave-forms actually 'hitting' physical particles to produce the problems that result in cancer".

Cancer happens when energetic particles or waves kick electrons off of atoms, changing their chemical properties and upsetting the delicate organic chemistry that is DNA replication.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The 2 slit experiment kinda freaks me out.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Cancer happens when energetic particles or waves kick electrons off of atoms, changing their chemical properties and upsetting the delicate organic chemistry that is DNA replication.

Yeah, I've understood the basics of the biological process. I just realized the morning that the physics part of the process had some questions.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    when your DNA observes the photon it collapses the wave function into a cancer causing particle which is why i keep my DNA witless and completely unaware of its surroundings

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

That’s ... partly true. It’s more complicated than just kicking our electrons to generate radicals.

The other major mechanism of UV based damage is photoinduced dimerization of dna bases.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    rxpawh7rav5z.jpeg

feels relevant

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I just want to clarify one thing regarding particle wave duality. All light exist as a wave function. A photon is the collapsed wave function of light. Wave functions collapse during observation and measurement. To say that light exists as both a particle and a wave kind of misses the true definition of a particle. A fundamental particle (like an electron or photons) is the collapsed wave function of fundamental energy fields. I don't really understand all the math behind it but I can site the double slit experiment for a practical demonstration of this. With no observer, you get a wave pattern. With an observer you get a particle pattern. Light waves turn into particles when we tell them to.

Waveforms turn into particles when they interact with something. Like the film at the back of the double slit experiment. But basically everything small enough not to constantly being interacting with things has this behavior, like the massive, but still fucking tiny electron. Or protons, I think, but they're hard.
    Until they interact with that, they act as waves and interfere with other quantized chucks of electromagnetic spectrum and or even themself.

it get's weird with electrons, because you can measure them as they go through one of the slits, and because you know which slit it went through it movement gets constrained, and some portion(the ones you measure at one of the slits) of the electrons you shoot through only end up doing a single slit diffraction. Or something.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Consider that wave-particle duality means that the single best model of the universe is a song sung eternally to itself, infinite in harmony.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Well, in that case, part of problem you might be having answering that thought is that nothing ever actually physically hits anything else. Essentially, all particles interact with other particles by getting close enough that an exchange of energy and momentum from one to the other can happen.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Well, in that case, part of problem you might be having answering that thought is that nothing ever actually physically hits anything else. Essentially, all particles interact with other particles by getting close enough that an exchange of energy and momentum from one to the other can happen.

Well, pauli exclusion principle can really be thought of as things hitting physically in a way. Which, along with electromagnetic repulsion is why you don’t just fall through the floor. So it isn’t things not being able to occupy the same physical space but not being able to occupy the same quantum energy level, but either way it keeps pieces of solid matter from just passing through each other.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Well, pauli exclusion principle can really be thought of as things hitting physically in a way. Which, along with electromagnetic repulsion is why you don’t just fall through the floor. So it isn’t things not being able to occupy the same physical space but not being able to occupy the same quantum energy level, but either way it keeps pieces of solid matter from just passing through each other.

Iirc, black holes are an exception to the exclusion principle? But they're crazy

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Iirc, black holes are an exception to the exclusion principle? But they're crazy

Yeah if you have enough insane level forces bearing down on something you can break the exclusion principle which is normally only something that happens incompletely in neutron stars and completely in black holes.

• Options
    edited January 2020

No, I mean like when a Neutron "hits" a Neutron, two particles that do not follow the Pauli Exclusion Principle,(Edit: whoops, way wrong) Particle "hits" a Particle they do not ever physically touch as we understand what those words mean. Each of their exact locations are a probability of possible locations, and once a threshold for their probability to interact is reached, which is varying and arbitrarily set by the universe for each interaction, they then exchange information like energy and momentum

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited January 2020

No, I mean like when a Neutron "hits" a Neutron, two particles that do not follow the Pauli Exclusion Principle, they do not ever physically touch as we understand what those words mean. Each of their exact locations are a probability of possible locations, and once a threshold for their probability to interact is reached, which is varying and arbitrarily set by the universe for each interaction, they then exchange information like energy and momentum

Neutrons (and Protons) follow the Pauli Exclusion Principle, the quantum energy levels are just different than they are for electrons. This is why Neutron Stars are a thing.

But the rest of what you are saying is also pretty much true.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options

No, I mean like when a Neutron "hits" a Neutron, two particles that do not follow the Pauli Exclusion Principle, they do not ever physically touch as we understand what those words mean. Each of their exact locations are a probability of possible locations, and once a threshold for their probability to interact is reached, which is varying and arbitrarily set by the universe for each interaction, they then exchange information like energy and momentum

Neutrons (and Protons) follow the Pauli Exclusion Principle, the quantum energy levels are just different than they are for electrons. This is why Neutron Stars are a thing.

But the rest of what you are saying is also pretty much true.

Whoops, yeah, no idea why I typed Neutron instead of Photon. Edited the post and just used Particles because really, that's how they all work.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    This always makes me curious if there really is strange matter floating around space somewhere, just waiting to assimilate us.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Theres definitely strange matter floating around uranus

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    This always makes me curious if there really is strange matter floating around space somewhere, just waiting to assimilate us.

Strangelets, if they exist, converting any matter it comes in contact with into more strange matter is another one of those mind bending things in physics I'll never get tired of.

https://youtu.be/p_8yK2kmxoo

Though for end of life scenarios I'd rather it be via Higgs vacuum decay. Instantaneous and you'd never see it coming so no sense worrying about it. Unless you're the paranoid sort.

https://youtu.be/ijFm6DxNVyI

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

So I was right on all those car trips and my sister was wrong

I wasn't touching and she couldn't get mad

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Stop transferring energy and momentum to your sister or so help me I will turn this car around!

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Stop transferring energy and momentum to your sister or so help me I will turn this car around!

Well, that went to a weird place.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Scientists discover new T-Cell that identifies and attacks most kinds of cancer

Researchers at Cardiff University were analysing blood from a bank in Wales, looking for immune cells that could fight bacteria, when they found an entirely new type of T-cell.

That new immune cell carries a never-before-seen receptor which acts like a grappling hook, latching on to most human cancers, while ignoring healthy cells.

In laboratory studies, immune cells equipped with the new receptor were shown to kill lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Scientists discover new T-Cell that identifies and attacks most kinds of cancer

Researchers at Cardiff University were analysing blood from a bank in Wales, looking for immune cells that could fight bacteria, when they found an entirely new type of T-cell.

That new immune cell carries a never-before-seen receptor which acts like a grappling hook, latching on to most human cancers, while ignoring healthy cells.

In laboratory studies, immune cells equipped with the new receptor were shown to kill lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer.

Can't wait for this Cells at Work character introduction.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    What happens when those T cells become cancerous

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Couscous wrote: »

T-cell-eating gorillas

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

T-cell-eating gorillas

with the strength of ten men

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I wish the T stood for Terminator

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Resident Evil

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Basically, when these cells 1) Mutate enough that they don't die, 2) behave badly, 3) are not recognized by other t-cells as cancerous. T-Cell Lymphoma is totally a thing that happens, and variants of it can be bad. Mostly because they aren't detected early.

The BBC article is talking about taking samples of the patient's stem cells, CRISPRing them, growing a whole bunch and injecting them back into the patient. And CRISPR is amazing, but not perfect. So some portion of the T cells would maybe be kinda genetically fucked, but maybe able to reproduce and not be killed by all the other T Cells they are being cultured with.

The healthy ones kill original cancer, then they keep observing the heck out of the patient for long enough to ensure it doesn't recur and the new cells don't do anything untoward. Then probably radiation/chemo therapy if it does? Probably less than would have originally been required. I'd assume that's an unlikely series of events, because they would testing the T cells they were making.

wild guess.

That or cancer bears.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I thought we were already modifying t-cells to carry cancer-targeting HIV-variants

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I thought we were already modifying t-cells to carry cancer-targeting HIV-variants

I mean I understand the idea, but that sentence holds a kind of terror way out of proportion to the likely risk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

It's a brand new type of T-Cell.

As of now we know of, I think, 8 or so different types.

And as for CRISPR modification giving cancer... your body is really good at fighting cancer, it does it every day. Sometimes things just slip by, so there shouldn't be too much worry that some of the genetically engineered T-Cells would cause cancer. Even if they did, a ultra low dose of chemo would probably be enough after treatment.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    HIV by its nature is just a great vector for gene therapy and modification. Once you take out the whole “killing people” parts, of course.

HIV works by basically infiltrating cells, inserting itself into host dna and changing it to produce HIV virus proteins, which repackage HIV dna into new HIV viruses and cause cells to essentially suicide themselves and burst to let those new viruses out, which is what causes the pathogenicity (edit - I was a little off in this, a lot of viruses do this, but HIV actually buds rather than spreading by killing cells, it does cause T cells to kill themselves by apoptosis which is why it is deadly but what advantage if any it gets from doing this is unclear).

So if you keep the infiltrating cells and dna part but ditch the replication and cell murder parts you can have a virus which will just infect cells, transplant whatever protein producing dna you want, then sit there doing nothing else but making that protein.

I would be surprised if this didn’t increase cancer risk, just due to fucking with DNA, but id you already have cancer or some other horrible lethal chronic disease adding a small additional risk of cancer later is going to be a lesser evil.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    HIV by its nature is just a great vector for gene therapy and modification. Once you take out the whole “killing people” parts, of course.

I left that part out, yeah

Although the drawback is i think each treatment is custom to the patient, vs this new discovery that seems more universal (i ran into the paywall too early to determine if that assumption is true)

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Ok, point of clarification.

The CRISPR in the cancer paper isn’t used in any way to develop the antibody they use. It’s used as a tool to identify the target of the antibody.

It’s highlighted, I suspect, because that’s a technology the authors developed and they want to promote it, but it’s not directly relevant to the human health part.

• Options
    So, science sites are reporting "first animal that doesn't need oxygen"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/first-animal-doesnt-breathe-oxygen-scn-trnd/index.html

but in looking for additional articles to the first one, I found a 2010 article referring to a totally different metazoan that also lacked mitochondria. Is this just a factor of science over-hyping things, or was the previous discovery discounted?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I thought anaerobic bacteria were a thing?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So, science sites are reporting "first animal that doesn't need oxygen"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/first-animal-doesnt-breathe-oxygen-scn-trnd/index.html

but in looking for additional articles to the first one, I found a 2010 article referring to a totally different metazoan that also lacked mitochondria. Is this just a factor of science over-hyping things, or was the previous discovery discounted?

I posted about this in [chat], but what's relevant here is the qualifier "animal". The organism they just discovered is in the Kingdom Animalia, as opposed to being in Kingdom "who fucking knows". Both are in Domain Eukaryota, meaning they possess a cell with a nucleus and organelles (thus they aren't bacteria or archae, which are in Domain Prokaryota).

The organism in question here is in Phylum Cnidaria, and is thus a relative of jellyfish (which do have mitochondria in their cells!) that has adapted for a parasitic lifestyle inside a fish host, and thus they've eliminated the need for mitochondria. This is pretty common (the other organisms in Eukarya which don't have mitochondria are also internal parasites as well- Giardia and Monocercomonoides).

Arch on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I thought anaerobic bacteria were a thing?

Bacteria are not animals.

This discussion has been closed.