As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbf] Guerilla - El Presidente needs your help!

MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
edited November 2016 in Critical Failures
pic677802_md.jpg

Guerilla

Rules

What is it?
Guerilla is Avalon Hill's 1993 strategy card game simulating a banana republican revolution between government and rebel forces.

The twist is that rather than everyone playing as one faction, you represent a "player" in the revolution. Everyone is dealt a secret loyalty marker at the beginning for either the rebels or government. All players may deploy any faction forces they wish, even controlling both government and rebel groups at once.

When a player scores victory points, both he AND the faction that scored receives the points (if Player A's government group destroys 5 points worth of rebels, both Player A and the government receive 5 points). At the end of the game, the player with the highest personal score wins, BUT...if the faction that they secretly support does not beat the other faction, then that player's personal score is halved (Player A ends the game with 100 points and secretly had government loyalty. The government ends up with 150 points to the rebels' 180, so Player A's final score is halved to 50).

What follows is a bluffing game as people control both factions, run around blowing stuff up for personal points while trying to make their faction win while not tipping their hand. Further complicating things is the presence of one mercenary player, who does not want either faction to win by more than 25 points, and a late game revolution card that allows a player to swap loyalty markers with someone.

The factions
The government gets airstrikes, helicopter support, armored columns, and all buildings begin with government loyalty.

The Rebels get covert demolition attacks, secret arms caches, and the option to fade away from the government's tanks rather than stand and fight.

Each unit card has a rebel side and a government side. The player chooses which one it will be when played.

pic72331.jpg

The fighting
Kill units in conventional attacks! Launch airstrikes from the airfield! Use La Policia to arrest enemy leaders on trumped up charges! Use assassins to take out pesky enemy generals! Rake in money by holding El Banco Nationale! Intercept arms shipments by holding the port! Get enemy units to desert by broadcasting propaganda from the TV station!

Term definitions
Unit: one infantry or armor column card

Group: A group of 1-3 infantry with or without leader, an armor column with or without leader, a complex with or without garrison (one infantry card)+ leader

Leader: An officer that allows you to combine combat strength of multiple units (2-3 depending on number of squares/circles) in a group

Complex: A building that grants different bonuses. Can be garrisoned with max of 1 unit and/or 1 leader.

Card symbols
Circle/brown = Rebel
Square/green = Government
Diamond = Leader combat bonus
dr = die roll (d10)
Hexagon = Victory point value of complex
Letter + number = Which phase of a turn a card is played in + how many action points it costs
Black title background = Play only during your turn
Green title background = Play under listed circumstances
DF = Defense value of complex

Special cards
Armor column: When attacking, attacks every unit in a group separately one at a time rather than having to fight them all together. Each unit still gets leader combat bonus. The player owning the targeted Rebel group may always decline the fight (attacker action point still spent). Complexes and their garrison may never decline. Armor columns can only ambush on defense.

Supply Cut: Choose a group to lay siege to target group. Under siege group may only attack sieging group, but does so at half strength. Sieged group receives additional -1 combat roll every turn. When penalty equals strength of strongest unit, sieged group surrenders. Siege can only be broken by sieging group being wiped out, voluntarily lifting the siege, or sieging group attacking a different target.

Assassin/Bodyguard: Target any leader on the board. Elimination if die roll minus their diamond value is >= 6, OR use card as bodyguard to force any assassination attempt (even ones not targeting you) to roll 2 dice and take the lower one.

Press/Atrocities: Play at the end of any battle (even ones you were not involved with). Double OR halve the victory point value.

Turn
Playing A Turn

Simple turn options:

Withdrawal Phase (Phase A)
(1 action - withdraw group or part of group)

Attack Phase (Phase B)
(1 action - attack)
(1 action - ambush prep +1)

Deployment Phase (Phase C)
(1 action - deploy one group or reinforce existing group)

Trade Phase (Phase D)
(1 action - make trade offer)

Discard and Repair Phase (Phase E)
(1 action - discard up to 4 cards)
(1 action - repair complex, repair 1d10/2 damage)

Draw Phase (Phase F)
(1 action - draw cards to fill hand)

Players take turns in clockwise order around the table, starting with the dealer.

In his turn each player may perform 2 actions per turn.

Each player’s turn is made up of the phases (labelled A to F) shown on the sequence of play tile. Phases must take place in the order shown in the sequence of play. Many actions are performed by playing cards which are coded with the phase (A to F) the card can be played in and action cost (0 or 1) in the upper left corner.

Withdrawal Phase (Phase A)
If Bad Weather card is in front of a player, roll for the weather to clear (see card description).

(1 action - withdraw group or part of group)
The player may withdraw any deployed units or leaders back to his hand. This costs one action per group or part of a group that is withdrawn. Hand capacity can be temporarily exceeded following withdrawal, but cards will be lost if the hand is still over capacity at the end of the player’s turn. Note that once deployed, a complex may never be withdrawn. A complex whose garrison is withdrawn does not change faction.

Cards that have been withdrawn may be re-deployed later in the same turn.

Withdrawn cards do not have to remain loyal to a faction or go back to the same group. Withdrawing the garrison from a complex never changes the faction that controls the complex.

Attack Phase (Phase B)

Making an attack

(1 action - attack)
Each group can attack once in a turn. The same group can be attacked more than once. Each attack costs one action.
Rebels must attack Government forces and vice versa.

A player may never attack one of his own groups.

An attack cannot be made if it has no chance of success.

Units in a group with a complex are its garrison and cannot attack. Some complexes have special attack capabilities. See the Red Card Table for details.

A leader is necessary to combine the strength of units in the same group in attack or defence. A leader may combine the strength of as many units in his group as his command rating.

Version 1.3a Page 4
Only one unit (owner chooses which) in a leaderless group can attack each turn. When attacking a leaderless group, the attacker decides which unit(s) will defend.

A deployed group can divide into two before attacking (sortie). One of the new groups must then attack. The two new groups can only recombine by withdrawal into the player’s hand and redeployment.

When attacking a group with a higher number of units than its leader’s command rating the attacker may choose to attack:-
• only the sideways unit out of command control;
• the units under command control; or
• all units in the group.

When only part of a group is attacked, only the units under attack can defend and take losses.

Many cards allow special types of attacks to occur (see card descriptions).

Ambush Preparation

(1 action - ambush prep)
A player may purchase the possibility of a defensive ambush by spending an action at any time in his turn. A point of ambush strength is gained for every action spent, to a maximum of ≤3.

Whenever a group belonging to a player with an ambush marker is attacked, he may roll the die. If the die roll is ≤ to the number on his ambush marker, the effects are exactly the same as playing an Ambush card in defence (see Event Cards Table). The ambush marker can be used in conjunction with Ambush cards.

The ambush marker die roll may be made before Ambush cards are played. Each time the ambush marker takes effect, reduce it to the next lower number.

The rules allow an option to increase the maximum strength of an ambush marker to 4.

Deployment Phase (Phase C)

(1 action - deploy one group or reinforce existing group)
Deployment can be either the placement of a new group or the reinforcement of an existing one. Each group deployed and each group reinforced costs one action. A group cannot be reinforced beyond the normal limitations (see Groups above).

A player can deploy reinforcements to a group owned by another player, with or without his consent. Cards deployed in this way immediately belong to the owner of the group they join. Deployment of a new group to another player is not allowed.

During this phase, special actions for Arms Cache, UN Intervention and Presidential Palace can also occur.

Trade Phase (Phase D)

A player can offer to trade cards from his hand (not deployed cards). Making the offer costs one action, whether or not a trade actually takes place.

(1 action - make trade offer)
The offering player places the cards he is offering before him. They may be face up, face down or a combination. He then says what he wants in return. In turn order, the other players may make offers in return. All trading must be done openly, with no secret negotiations or showing of cards. The offering player cannot change his offer once he has seen what is being offered in return, he can only accept one trade deal or reject them all.

No player can finish the trade with cards exceeding his hand capacity. If more are offered than can be taken, the receiving player may examine the offered cards and choose which to return to his trading partner.

Any promises made as part of the trade may be broken.

Discard and Repair Phase (Phase E)

(1 action - discard up to 4 cards)
A player may discard up to four cards from his hand at the cost of an action. He must reveal only the last card discarded because it will be visible on the top of the discard pile.

(1 action - repair complex)
Damage to a complex can be repaired at the cost of one action. A die is rolled and damage equal to half the number rolled (rounded down) is repaired. Only one repair per turn is allowed.

Draw Phase (Phase F)

Special draws from the Discard Pile can be performed by the owner of the Port and Barracks cards in this phase.

(1 action - draw cards to fill hand)
At the cost of one action, a player may draw new cards from the deck until he reaches his hand capacity or draws a red card. If a red card is drawn it must be played immediately. The player’s turn ends as soon as that is done.

When drawn, a complex may be added to any one unit Government group (not isolated) without a Complex that the drawing player has already deployed. If there is no such group, the Complex must be deployed on its own. Complexes must be under Government control when they are first deployed. A complex is deemed to be in Government control unless a Rebel Control marker is placed on it.

See the Hand Capacity rules, if the player ends up with more cards than his hand capacity.

At the end of a player’s turn, increase the isolation markers on the player’s isolated groups.

Combat
Resolving an attack

To determine the result of an attack total the strength of all attacking units, add the group leader’s command modifier and a die roll. (Isolated attacking units have their strength halved, fractions rounded down, and may suffer a negative isolation die roll modifier.) The defender totals the strength of all defending units, the DF of any complex, the group leader’s command modifier, and a die roll. (Isolated defending units may suffer a negative die roll modifier.)

The player with the lowest total must eliminate units of his choice with a combined strength at least equal to the difference in the totals. If the totals are tied there are no losses. If a group contains a complex, any losses must first be taken by its garrison. A leader can be eliminated to fulfil one point of required losses.

A unit’s actual strength may differ from its printed strength due to the effects of various event cards. Losses are always taken at the printed strength.
Any leader left alone after losses are taken is eliminated.

A player cannot choose to eliminate more units than is necessary to meet his losses.

Eliminated cards are placed face up on the discard pile. The victor decides the order in which they go there. This may be significant if the Barracks or Port complexes are in play as their owners can retrieve cards from the discard pile.

Capturing complexes

Normal attacks do not damage a complex. Only air strikes (see the red Airfield card) and demolition attacks using an Arms Cache event card can damage a complex.

Units and leaders garrisoning a complex must be the first to take losses when attacked. Whenever a complex would be required to take losses, it is instead captured by the attacking group. Mark a Rebel complex with a Rebel Control marker. The attacking group may immediately assign a unit and/or a leader to become its garrison. The complex’s special ability is immediately available to its new owner.

A Rebel complex can be destroyed by its owner in his attack phase at the cost of one action. Destroying a complex counts as an attack, so a group which took control of a complex could not destroy it on the same turn unless an Arms Cache event card was played.

Signups below. Shooting for exactly 5 players, since that allows for a mercenary player to keep loyalties ambiguous.

MrBody on

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Let's try this too!

• Options
    It's actually a lot simpler than it looks.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Viva La Revolución

• Options
    Timed right as the FARK/Colombian peace talks get voted down!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'll give this a try.

• Options
    That's 3!

Only need 2 more! Recruit a friend if you can! Guaranteed fun time of throwing around ridiculous orders like attacking "I attack the annoying UN forces guarding the war criminal Colonel Vasquez before blowing up the bank!"

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    El Presidente!

I mean..... El Dedsidente >.>

• Options
    1 more!!!! Recruit a friend to send the tank column to crush rebel scum!

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Added more details to cards and rules in the OP. Once you know the symbols and terminology, all cards are self explanatory.

MrBody on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'll give this a try if that's okay

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Slight miscalculation on my part. I went to break out the game and realized I had left it at a relative's house. They're going to mail it to me but it's going to take about 3 days.

Everyone cool with waiting?

• Options
    Yeah no worries

• Options
    Huh, okay. Turns out the relative can't find it.

I'm just going to order a copy off ebay. This game has been a favorite of mine for 22 years and I'd have a copy just to keep on my shelf.

(my box had a Blizzard notepad inside for scoring: the notepad that they included in Warcraft 1!)

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Said relative obviously kept it for themselves.

Which means you must laumch a revolution to seize the means of gameplay!

• Options
    Game is ordered and shipped. Should get here next Monday.

• Options
    Grrrr....my ancient ebay account still had my parents' address on it. Game just arrived there. They will have to mail it to me.

• Options
    Clearly this is the capitalist's way of holding the gaming class down!

• Options
    It's here! They actually did ship it to me.

Well...4 houses down from me at the wrong address. Luckily the person living there somehow knew who I was and dropped it off.

I have it with me at work. Planning on bulk scanning the cards at the copy machine today. Will probably be able to deal out starting hands tonight!

Everyone still available to play?

@Phyphor @JusticeforPluto @Moridin889 @Hedgethorn @Preda

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Sure

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'm still in. Let's see how this goes.

• Options
    Yup

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Dealt out secret loyalties. You may deploy/attack both Government and Rebel forces throughout the game, scoring personal victory points no matter which faction you used to score them, but if the faction you secretly support does not win at the end, your personal victory score is halved.

(Player A using a Government group to kill 5 points worth of Rebels will score 5 personal victory points and 5 points for the Government)

There are 2 government, 2 rebels, and 1 mercenary player. The mercenary has his score halved at the end if one faction wins by more than 24 points (they want perpetual conflict with no decisive winner).

There is a Revolution card in the 2nd half of the deck. When drawn, that player has the option to force another player to swap loyalty markers with him (markers are not revealed to other players), so you may want to keep your loyalty ambiguous. Since this is a 5 player game, we will be going through the deck twice.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Hmmmmm.... I have some cool cards but no clue how to use them.

Just like El Presidente!

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I sent you a message on what the trickier cards do. I'll give an overview of how the basic units/groups work once I've dealt to everyone.

In general the cards are easy to figure out once you know the terms. I'm clarifying everyone's tricky starting cards so they can see how the card text translates to plain English.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Okay, everyone has been dealt.

Here is how units, groups, and leaders work.

Unit = one infantry card, or one armor column card

group = 1-3 units, or one armor column (armor columns are always by themselves)

leader = optional to attach to any group, armor column, or building. # of square/circles is how many units it can combine, combat strength inside the diamond is added to every combat roll.

Sample 1: 3 unit group
    xnH7LwQ.jpg

3 units combined by a leader with 3 circles. Total combat strength is 13 (7 + 1 + 6 - 1).

Sample 2: 3 unit group with a 2 leader
    WZoDQSl.jpg

The leader can only combine 2 units (2 circles), but you may still include 3 units in the group. The 3rd unit is sideways and does not share its strength with the rest on attack OR defense. This group can attack at strength 8 (1 + 6 + 1) or strength 7 (7). Anyone attacking this group can target the 2 combined units OR the sideways unit by itself. A good idea would be to spend an action point in Phase A (withdraw) to withdraw the leader then spend an action point in Phase C (deploy) to deploy a leader with 3 circles.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Setup

1. Deploy buildings
    2. Deploy groups/units

We start with everyone playing all buildings (complexes) in their hand at once. You may garrison one unit and/or leader to each building (will defend at garrison strength + df value). Once that is done, everyone will deploy starting groups.

@Hedgethorn @JusticeforPluto @Moridin889 are the ones with buildings. State the garrisons/leaders you wish to attach to them, if any.

All buildings start out controlled by the government. They may only target and be attacked by rebels (exception: La Policia).

• Options
    Does my building effect work the turn it's played?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    As long as it's played in front of you, yes.

This starting setup isn't a regular turn with actions. Everyone plays all the buildings/garrisons from their hand at once, then plays all the groups they want at once. THEN regular turns with 2 actions start.

edit: everyone MUST play all their buildings. The only optional part is the garrison (always a good idea to do so).

MrBody on
  • Options
    @Hedgethorn @Moridin889 for the garrison/leader they wish to play with their building, if any

• Options
    Sorry, I've been busy at work and needed time to reread the rules.

Do I deploy my building in thread or via PM?
    @MrBody

• Options
    Either one. It's mandatory to play all red cards (all buildings are red cards) as soon as you get them. The only option right now is if you want to play a garrison on them. That doesn't really affect everyone else's garrison choice so either one is fine.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Play Barracks, garrison it with a government-4/rebel-5 unit.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Banco de Nationale with a Gov 4/Rebel 5 garrison

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Buildings deployed. All players now deploy as many units/groups as they want (minus what they already played as garrisons). After, hands will be refilled to max and then play begins normally. Max hand count is 7 but is increased to 8 if you have both Rebel and Government groups deployed.

PM your deploy choices to me.

@Hedgethorn @JusticeforPluto @Moridin889 @Phyphor @Preda

MrBody on
  • Options
    Current player boards

Hedgethorn
    AcyPXj7.png

Moridin889
    3inb65R.png

JusticeForPluto
    zT6YnUg.png

• Options
    @Phyphor @JusticeforPluto to deploy their starting groups

• Options
    A note about the "Policia" ability. The "Bodyguard" card can be used to defend against it as if it was a regular assassination attempt.

• Options
    Well, all orders are in and I would update except imgur seems to be down right now. Will try again tomorrow night!

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Current player boards

JusticeForPluto
    vNzjMjn.jpg

Hedgethorn
    FU4oUtl.jpgimg]

Phyphor
    GmhZzy4.jpg

Moridin889
    UqDx2k7.jpg

Preda
    R4sPffL.jpg

MrBody on
  • Options
    Sorry, this batch of scans came out smaller for some reason. Some text is hard to read. Will try rescanning.