Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Nintendo Switch (NX)

2

Posts

  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    This is too late to be of any help, but I was stalking BB online after the show for the pre-order. Walmart was first but they have a habit of cancelling so I did not bite.

    I will probably leave my Switch at home this year and bring the 3DS. A bit sad Nintendo did not carry over Street Pass and Miiverse to the Switch. Their online is usually so cludgy, but these 2 features were really fun. One last Pax to make some progress on the Street Pass mini-games and maybe run into some Miis from past years :)

    3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    Preordered my Switch, and fully plan on bringing it to PAX East.

    That said, I still aim for a long visit at the Nintendo booth. Zelda is Zelda, I don't need to be sold on this gem. But right now, it's my only launch game ordered, and there are several Switch games launching or near launch that I want hands on to decide: Arms, Snipperclips, 1-2-Switch, etc. I'll gladly spend a week saving Hyrule before some demos help build the library.

    Plus, if the same games being demoed match those at the World Events this weekend, getting some long-awaited hands on with Sonic Mania couldn't hurt either. :D

    NFG
  • DragantDragant BostonRegistered User regular
    Preordered two switches. One for me and one for my wife. Unfortunately, games like Mario Kart and Bomberman won't be released until after PAX. Was hoping to get some MP in while at PAX.

  • NFGNFG Registered User regular
    Dragant wrote: »
    Preordered two switches. One for me and one for my wife. Unfortunately, games like Mario Kart and Bomberman won't be released until after PAX. Was hoping to get some MP in while at PAX.

    Bomberman is a launch title!!

    S2ieAvx.png
    craiolaMephistoN7Dragant
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    NFG wrote: »
    Dragant wrote: »
    Preordered two switches. One for me and one for my wife. Unfortunately, games like Mario Kart and Bomberman won't be released until after PAX. Was hoping to get some MP in while at PAX.

    Bomberman is a launch title!!

    Soooooooooooold! Bomberman MP meetup, let's get this ball rolling.

    Now if we can get Puyo Puyo Tetris to launch on March 3rd....

    NFG
  • DragantDragant BostonRegistered User regular
    NFG wrote: »
    Dragant wrote: »
    Preordered two switches. One for me and one for my wife. Unfortunately, games like Mario Kart and Bomberman won't be released until after PAX. Was hoping to get some MP in while at PAX.

    Bomberman is a launch title!!

    Yea! I have Bomberman coming. Also preordered a bunch of other games at Best Buy since they are doing a deal until the 21st where you save $25 off an order of $100 or more with the Visa Checkout option, which stacks with the 20% off card. Since they don't really charge you until the game actually releases, I figured I would preorder them and save the $100 or so.

    Zelda, Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris, MK8D, ARMS and Splatoon 2.

    I'll have a nice steady influx of games coming.

    NFG
  • cpc197ccpc197c Registered User regular
    Have a switch coming for PAX, with Zelda, Bomberman, and Issac for launch. Will be gettings others later when they are released :D

    BP8CyRA.png
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    cpc197c wrote: »
    Have a switch coming for PAX, with Zelda, Bomberman, and Issac for launch. Will be gettings others later when they are released :D

    Ugh, I forgot Isaac is a launch title now! And Shovel Knight Complete aiming for the 7th.

    We should still organize a Bomberman... something. We'll revisit this closer to launch. :D

  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I have a Switch reserved .. hopefully they have enough to ship to all their pre-orders :)

    GZ8onM3.png
  • Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
    dont have it pre-ordered as i need to save up money for PAX itself, gonna hit up the convention center real early on Friday to hopefully get in a decent line for Nintendos Booth

    TbjrD9q.png
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    im sure there will be plenty of people there with one... I';d be willing to play a round of bomberman or two with ya :P

    GZ8onM3.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I preordered mine last November, I shall be bringing it with me to PAX East as I'll be playing Zelda on the flight over.

    PAX%20Forum%20sig%20PAX%20West%202017_zpsouzmczhs.png
    ClannMorgan
  • randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    I'm in for some Bomberman, too! Hoping that Snipperclips launches in that first week of the Switch release, as well.

    Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    I dunno, I'm purposely waiting to try it at PAX before ordering one. I'm wary since the Wii U didn't do super well that this could be similar...

    Pokemon SS, B2, X, OR
    Animal Crossing: NL
    3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
  • ogbaogba Registered User regular
    Anyone going to be bringing their nintendo switch?

    I think i will be. Would love to do some local bomberman

  • KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Oh h*ck yes. I can only imagine the shenanigans that will go on in the beanbag freeplay area. I want to see epic switch games in line for pins.

  • ogbaogba Registered User regular
    This is my first year at pax, what is the beanbag free play area?

    I would really like to do some local bomberman

  • MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    There is always an area where they plop a bunch of beanbag chairs for people to sit around and do some handheld/free play games. It is usually in the hallway on Level 1 on the "C and D theater" side. (From the entrance go to the left hallway all the way to the end.)

    side note: If this is your 1st PAX something helpful to know is there is a reason for the names of the theaters/Panel areas. The name tells you where the theater is located in the convention center. If the name is an animal that is below ground it is on "floor 0" cuttlefish Theater. If the animal walks on the ground it is on floor 1 and if it is a flying type it is on floor 2. The Letter it starts with is also an indicator. Theaters that start with "A" or "B" are on the right side of the convention center if you are standing in the entrance. "C" or "D" is on the left. PAX is one of the most friendly places.

    signature.png

    "You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

    Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    Oh absolutely. There's actually a Switch thread where a Bomberman R meetup is proposed.

    We'll coordinate something as we get in the final days. :biggrin:

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    On one hand I want to bring mine. On the other hand it will be brand new and I don't want to fuck it up. We shall see.

    vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    ltgruntSinoSamba
  • NFGNFG Registered User regular
    Caved and bought 1 2 Switch after getting to demo all of the games last weekend in NYC. Super excited to play it in the hotel room with my roomies, but I doubt I'll bring the whole thing to the con center for safety reasons.

    You can bet your sweet bippy I'll also be bringing Zelda. Will probably play it before sleeping on Thursday night, and plan to bring the tablet around for lines but I never end up playing much even during lulls.

    S2ieAvx.png
  • ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    Same here, Zerzhul. I'm leaning more toward leaving it at home, though. I just know I'd find some way to bang it into something, drop it down one of the escalators, or do some other stupid thing and break it.

    PAsig.png
  • ogbaogba Registered User regular
    Link for the bomberman r meetup? Definitly let me know if anything gets planned. I would be interested

  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    NFG wrote: »
    Caved and bought 1 2 Switch after getting to demo all of the games last weekend in NYC. Super excited to play it in the hotel room with my roomies, but I doubt I'll bring the whole thing to the con center for safety reasons.

    You are the umpteenth person to recommend 1-2-Switch. Fortunately, a close friend preordered it so I'll be able to give it a go before PAX. I just envision using it to pass the time while queued for panels.

    "Hi, I'm Brian. Nice to meet you. *offers a Joy-Con* Would you like to milk a cow?"

    I'll have the dock with me to play/charge at the hotel, but yeah I can't envision any reason to bring it to the show other than to hijack a TV and play Zelda just because.

  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    NFG wrote: »
    Caved and bought 1 2 Switch after getting to demo all of the games last weekend in NYC. Super excited to play it in the hotel room with my roomies, but I doubt I'll bring the whole thing to the con center for safety reasons.

    You are the umpteenth person to recommend 1-2-Switch. Fortunately, a close friend preordered it so I'll be able to give it a go before PAX. I just envision using it to pass the time while queued for panels.

    "Hi, I'm Brian. Nice to meet you. *offers a Joy-Con* Would you like to milk a cow?"

    I'll have the dock with me to play/charge at the hotel, but yeah I can't envision any reason to bring it to the show other than to hijack a TV and play Zelda just because.

    The possibilities for the Switch at a con are just about the coolest thing ever. I have a big concern about battery life though. Despite what they say battery life is, if I am only getting 1-2 hours, that's just not enough to entice me to bring it to a con. That's more like if I just want to play on my couch instead of my TV lol, so I'm looking forward to actual battery life reports from outside of Nintendo.

    CGY17zG.png
    salvucci91
  • NFGNFG Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    NFG wrote: »
    Caved and bought 1 2 Switch after getting to demo all of the games last weekend in NYC. Super excited to play it in the hotel room with my roomies, but I doubt I'll bring the whole thing to the con center for safety reasons.

    You are the umpteenth person to recommend 1-2-Switch. Fortunately, a close friend preordered it so I'll be able to give it a go before PAX. I just envision using it to pass the time while queued for panels.

    "Hi, I'm Brian. Nice to meet you. *offers a Joy-Con* Would you like to milk a cow?"

    I'll have the dock with me to play/charge at the hotel, but yeah I can't envision any reason to bring it to the show other than to hijack a TV and play Zelda just because.

    The possibilities for the Switch at a con are just about the coolest thing ever. I have a big concern about battery life though. Despite what they say battery life is, if I am only getting 1-2 hours, that's just not enough to entice me to bring it to a con. That's more like if I just want to play on my couch instead of my TV lol, so I'm looking forward to actual battery life reports from outside of Nintendo.

    Idk if you're looking for recommendations, but my plan is to bring my portable charger (20,000mAH) and just keep it hooked up when playing. Hard to say but I imagine a full charge on that battery will last me a solid 2-3 days of occasional playing, at least. Hori makes a stand that allows the charging port to be accessed while playing - if you're just playing with the kickstand unfortunately you won't be able to charge at the same time.

    S2ieAvx.png
    salvucci91
  • blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    i will have mine and Bomberman with me! It should be fun to play waiting in lines and on the plane.

  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »

    The possibilities for the Switch at a con are just about the coolest thing ever. I have a big concern about battery life though. Despite what they say battery life is, if I am only getting 1-2 hours, that's just not enough to entice me to bring it to a con. That's more like if I just want to play on my couch instead of my TV lol, so I'm looking forward to actual battery life reports from outside of Nintendo.

    It's safe to assume that the 2.5 hour mark is extreme. Online, graphic intensive. Which is 100% understandable when compared to big name mobile titles on phones that aren't running 8 player Splatoon 2 matches.

    But yes, there are some amazing portable chargers out there that I've invested in already for my phone, tablet, and various BT accessories. I did pick up an extra high speed USB-C cable just in case.

    I invite everyone to join me in the ultimate sign of comfort by plopping down in a beanbag chair in the lounge, propping the tablet on my tummy, and rocking out Zelda with my arms slumped off the chair. You can't deny that doesn't sound good.

    Consti2tion
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    robirex wrote: »

    The possibilities for the Switch at a con are just about the coolest thing ever. I have a big concern about battery life though. Despite what they say battery life is, if I am only getting 1-2 hours, that's just not enough to entice me to bring it to a con. That's more like if I just want to play on my couch instead of my TV lol, so I'm looking forward to actual battery life reports from outside of Nintendo.

    It's safe to assume that the 2.5 hour mark is extreme. Online, graphic intensive. Which is 100% understandable when compared to big name mobile titles on phones that aren't running 8 player Splatoon 2 matches.

    But yes, there are some amazing portable chargers out there that I've invested in already for my phone, tablet, and various BT accessories. I did pick up an extra high speed USB-C cable just in case.

    I invite everyone to join me in the ultimate sign of comfort by plopping down in a beanbag chair in the lounge, propping the tablet on my tummy, and rocking out Zelda with my arms slumped off the chair. You can't deny that doesn't sound good.

    Yeah, you guys have convinced me to push forward and try to get a Switch during the midnight release. Nintendo owes you commission. Amazon had a lightning deals on power banks the last few days and I grabbed a 30000 mAh one that should provide a good amount a juice for my PAX adventure. I'm excited. We'll see if I can get one.

    CGY17zG.png
    MephistoN7
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    This just in: Snipperclips added to the launch lineup, complete with a demo on Day 1! Definitely YouTube it, as it was the darling of the media and press during the Switch events. But it's awesome that we can try it out first, which was the core behind my push to visit the Nintendo booth on first thing: trying out the other games not named Zelda.

    To follow-up on the battery life, the feedback so far from the media is that the 3-6 hr quote was accurate. What we didn't know is if the Switch batteries run out, it goes into a Sleep mode similar to closing a 3DS where it will "shutdown" but pause everything for up to 4 hours. Once power is supplied, it'll resume exactly where you left off.

    Still, good to be prepared. :+1:



    Consti2tion
  • OakpunkOakpunk Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I hope to get to play one at PAX, unfortunately I was recently let go from my job so pre-ordering the Switch AND going to PAX just wasn't in the cards. Ah well, you win some you lose some. I'm still really excited for it to be honest but, this is comin' from a kid who never owned a wii, wii-U or anything beyond a DS lite.

    PAX_Badges.jpg
  • Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
    Just saying.. If Nintendo brings Switch units to sell at EAST ( Doubt it but I can dream) I'll Blow all of my spending money right there!

  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    Just saying.. If Nintendo brings Switch units to sell at EAST ( Doubt it but I can dream) I'll Blow all of my spending money right there!

    The Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS XL was released on the first day of PAX East 2013, but due to extremely low quantities most stores only got 2.....

    .....except at the Nintendo booth, where they had cases of them for sale.

    The moral: Never stop believing.

    Consti2tionrobirex
  • Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    Just saying.. If Nintendo brings Switch units to sell at EAST ( Doubt it but I can dream) I'll Blow all of my spending money right there!

    The Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS XL was released on the first day of PAX East 2013, but due to extremely low quantities most stores only got 2.....

    .....except at the Nintendo booth, where they had cases of them for sale.

    The moral: Never stop believing.

    This story is what dreams are made of!

  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »

    The Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS XL was released on the first day of PAX East 2013, but due to extremely low quantities most stores only got 2.....

    .....except at the Nintendo booth, where they had cases of them for sale.

    The moral: Never stop believing.

    That messaging at a gamer event where everyone has a Switch in their hand is pretty powerful. If they thought that was successful in 2013 I wonder if they'll have even more this time around. If they don't then maybe they didn't think PAX was a successful place to launch. I doubt that though.

    CGY17zG.png
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Note to others here .. NEVER pre-order from Target.

    Since my pre-order on the first day my CC was charged every Friday with a pre-auth that would disappear on mon-tue. Well last Friday the CC denied the pre-auth. When this happens most places email you asking you to fix the problem NOOOOO.... NOT TARGET they cancel the freaking order. No chance to ever fix the issue. I chatted with customer service said nothing they can do and suggested I go to their website on launch day to buy one .. hahah yeah thats gonna be a possibility.

    So now I am out a Switch for now. Thje Best Buy Near me is doing a Midnight launch and claim to have Switchs on hand to sell. I'm gonna head there in the AM on the 2nd and wait and hope for the best.

    GZ8onM3.png
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »
    Note to others here .. NEVER pre-order from Target.

    Since my pre-order on the first day my CC was charged every Friday with a pre-auth that would disappear on mon-tue. Well last Friday the CC denied the pre-auth. When this happens most places email you asking you to fix the problem NOOOOO.... NOT TARGET they cancel the freaking order. No chance to ever fix the issue. I chatted with customer service said nothing they can do and suggested I go to their website on launch day to buy one .. hahah yeah thats gonna be a possibility.

    So now I am out a Switch for now. Thje Best Buy Near me is doing a Midnight launch and claim to have Switchs on hand to sell. I'm gonna head there in the AM on the 2nd and wait and hope for the best.

    Looks like Target is cancelling preorders left and right. On the Switch subreddit, a person who claimed to be a manager for Target said that none of the Targets were getting anywhere near the allocation that they were supposed to get. Your situation might be different, but Target is definitely in a bad situation right now. I've been calling around locally to try to find out additional on hand amounts. The best I can conclude is that Gamestop would be the best option if you have one near you. Each Gamestop is getting about 5-10 to sell on launch day. Not sure if they limited their preorders or larger allocation, but everyone else seems to only have like 2-5 to sell on launch day. Not everyone is as willing to cough up those numbers though of course. Disclaimer: all the information above is all anecdotal. I am definitely not an industry insider resource by any means.

    CGY17zG.png
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Gamestop just charged my credit card for my pre order and even sent an email last week about it specifically. I never thought I'd say this but I'm happy I preordered with Amazon. Good luck robirex!

    DXLJjjr.png
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »
    Looks like Target is cancelling preorders left and right. On the Switch subreddit, a person who claimed to be a manager for Target said that none of the Targets were getting anywhere near the allocation that they were supposed to get. Your situation might be different, but Target is definitely in a bad situation right now. I've been calling around locally to try to find out additional on hand amounts. The best I can conclude is that Gamestop would be the best option if you have one near you. Each Gamestop is getting about 5-10 to sell on launch day. Not sure if they limited their preorders or larger allocation, but everyone else seems to only have like 2-5 to sell on launch day. Not everyone is as willing to cough up those numbers though of course. Disclaimer: all the information above is all anecdotal. I am definitely not an industry insider resource by any means.

    Keep in mind the quantities that GameStop stores are quoting do NOT include the units they are getting for in-store preorders. Each store was specifically allocated an amount on January 13th for preorders, so those are counted separate. It should also be noted that GS tends to be stricter on their 48 hours to pickup preorders policy with items like this (because receiving follow-up shipments hinges on selling through current inventory), so there's usually 1 or 2 that pop up later.

    As has been mentioned, their online orders received an email last Monday advising them that in order to secure orders they were going to run charges on Saturday for Switch units and any Special/Master Edition orders- which they did, and now those orders that were cleared are locked and allocated. I know Best Buy ran charges for their Switch preorders the day after they went up. It's an odd Catch-22 because obviously the store wants to ensure that this selectly numbered product is actually going to get picked up, but a lot of people plan to have $300 available the week of March 3rd rather than have that cash readily available to be held for security purposes.

    All of this said, my main preorder is through Amazon. And after the Zelda fiasco last week, I won't lie that I'm watching them like a hawk since they always operate last minute.

  • acaraba2acaraba2 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    So I pick up my Nintendo Switch from Gamestop and Zelda Master Edition from Best Buy at Midnight launch. It seem my local best buy had about 30-40 for walk-ins and sold about half them at Midnight release. Gamestop only had 3 for walk-ins.

    swTdaPc.png

    Attending: PAX South 2017 , Hotel - Marriott RiverWalk
    Attending: PAX East 2017 , Hotel - Element

    http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/acaraba2.png
2
Sign In or Register to comment.