As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    tahani is sleeper hero in this

if she and eleanor arent otp im a frog

We need a Boris Vallejo-style painting of Tahani in the Conan position, with Eleanor in a ripped blouse breathlessly clutching her leg.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That moment where I'm like, but I thought eleanor was the other girl and etc etc .

Then I went DERP

and remembered the PLOT of the show.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

"A hot, rich fraud with legs for days. . . side note: I might legit be into Tahani" was my favorite line of the season.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    "You sexy skyscraper" is up there.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    omg I just saw the twist.

omg.

omg.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    "A hot, rich fraud with legs for days. . . side note: I might legit be into Tahani" was my favorite line of the season.

"That's what I love about humans, you take something perfect and ruin it, just a little bit, so you can have more of it"
    Which sounds way more sinister now

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Rewatching this series is great.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    McFodder wrote: »
    Rewatching this series is great.

Seriously. You pick up so many things you miss the first time.

Plus online/streaming has Extended Cuts with additional content.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    I am watching this series again online for the Extended cuts.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Ted Danson as
    the smiling Devil.
    What's not to love?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So I'm rewatching because with the knowledge from the season finale episode it seemed worth it.
    so Elenore totally calls out the problem with tahani in the third episode. Just straight up calls it

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    So I'm rewatching because with the knowledge from the season finale episode it seemed worth it.
    so Elenore totally calls out the problem with tahani in the third episode. Just straight up calls it

Do we still need spoilers at this point?

Watching the party scene when Eleanor is talking to the other participants is great.

"I gave both my kidneys because I'm so selfless!"

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    can I as an upside-down person watch the extended cut streams anywhere?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    They are on hulu. Not sure if that is country restricted though.

I mean I ended up burning through the series in like two days so you could sign up for a free trail and see if it works for you.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Schur finally talked about it.

Notable stuff:

Bell and Danson knew the twist from the beginning.
    Medium Place is real. The essential story of Mindy St. Claire’s situation is on the up and up.

This exchange about next year I'm quoting directly and putting in spoilers (it's super vague, but still). Bold is Sepinwall.
    I don’t want to know where this is going next, but how much do you know? Do you already know what happens if or when Eleanor or one of the others figures it out again? What season 3 or 4 or 7 would be about? Or after a certain point do you have to make like Michael and start improvising?

By the end of last year we had a decent idea of what the beginning of this season would be. We’ve now broken roughly half the episodes, and we also know where we are going to end up, which (we learned last year) makes writing a show like this a lot easier.

Also, without spoiling anything, how different has it felt writing a version of the show where the audience now knows what’s going on, even if these four idiots don’t?

It’s both easier and harder. Easier because we don’t need to hide this one giant surprise that, if it got out, would kind of harm the entire year. And harder because that one big surprise gave a strong shape to the season. I think part of the reason we got all the way to the end without the big twist being spoiled on a grand scale is that no one was really looking for it. We are now operating under the assumption that people are looking and guessing and trying to get ahead of us, so we have to either be extra-surprising, or else come all the way around to not being “twist-y” at all, but rather tell different sorts of stories that themselves feel fresh and interesting.

In breaking the new episodes, how did you figure out how much you want to replay the events of the first season from a new perspective (and with little tweaks like Eleanor’s new “soulmate”) versus wholly new stories? How much Groundhog Day can you do in an ongoing series?

I guess I would say, sort of unhelpfully: you’ll find out when they air. But we certainly understand the danger, when you press the reset button the way we did, of repeating yourself. Next season will have significant differences.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    NBC released their fall schedule: still Thursdays at 8:30.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    So does it's name change for the second season to be the not very good place?

• Options
    It does not. Also Kristen Bell was nominated for outstanding achievement in a comedy at the TCAs (critics).

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ted Danson's one grin better be nominated for something

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TCAs only do comedy/drama without a starring/supporting split or an actor/actress split so there are I think 14 performances recognized at all. They went with Bell rather than Danson, which I'm not sure is right (both performances are great) but she's the star and they love her for Veronica Mars still.

Emmy wise, Danson submitted as a lead based on the thing I read from Sepinwall. Avoids the Emmy's love of Modern Family and Andre Braugher's guaranteed nomination. Jeffrey Tambor's won the last two so it's safe to assume he'll be nominated for Transparent. Aziz Ansari was last year and people still like that performance, so safe to say he'll get one. It seems generally assumed Donald Glover will get nominated for Atlanta and after that it seems like a crapshoot.

Bell will of course run into the Julia Louis-Dreyfus buzzsaw even if she were nominated.

• Options
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I love the just down right kooky shit this show throws around all the time.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So late to the party, but just watched it all on Netflix:

The twist was good, and great at the time, but slight downgrade to good because it has problems:
    Mainly that the entire place is the Medium Place at worst, not the Bad Place. Mike runs a piss poor hell. Unless that's the next twist. The ARE in the Medium Place.

And none of them should be in the Bad Place in the first place. Unless there are ranges of "bad".

She should have wrote "your in bad place find chidi". But maybe no time for 4 more words!

So basically you can talk yourself out of these problems, but they're still there.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Minute-long clip from the new season! Nothing really spoiler-y (aside from the entire first season, of course), but just in case:
    Looks like Michael wasn't really lying much about "retirement," which is now a real danger for him.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Tomorrow!

And early reviews indicate they've managed to pull it off again.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I might have to figure out how this TV box thing my internet company forced me to upgrade to works.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I might have to figure out how this TV box thing my internet company forced me to upgrade to works.

Hahaha turns out it doesn't. They forced me to upgrade to a faster internet + broadcast TV stations + HBO package because my internet only tier was soon going to stop existing and they had a special going.

So I did because $5 more per month for 2 years for twice as fast internet and HBO is a pretty good deal.

And then a few days after I got it set up and tested apparently they canceled the work order for some reason. I'm on hold now while the CS rep is trying to figure out why.
    Cox :rotate:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    tahani is sleeper hero in this

if she and eleanor arent otp im a frog

We need a Boris Vallejo-style painting of Tahani in the Conan position, with Eleanor in a ripped blouse breathlessly clutching her leg.

god I wish I had the skill to do this.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    My understanding of the schedule is two episodes tomorrow at 10 then it returns to its regular 830 Thursdays time slot.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    aaaahhhh

it's almost happening

• Options
    While we're waiting, here's all the clues that dropped last season, inducing a few really sneaky ones I missed.

In fact, there's a nice detail listed that might be an indication for how this season will go:
    When "Welcome! Everything is fine." is replaced by "Welcome! Everything is great!", the sign is just a little crooked.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Sorry to double-post, but this video from a table read is just too wonderful not to share.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    The Tahani segment was amazing.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Also, dumb guess at late season spoilers:
    This is Michael's Bad Place.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Yeah well...
    I'M GOING TO THE GYM.

• Options
    *watching the first segment* Man, these new scenarios are great at torturing the four, but how are they going to keep it up all season?

*watching the second segment*
    Welp, guess not.

Also, very great use of "the real Eleanor."

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The first two episodes were very very very good

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

I really like this idea

my idea from the end of the first season
    is that his experiment is going to prove that there's a need/way to make people better who don't actually deserve The Bad Place and it becomes Purgatory with him as the boss.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    So are commercials featuring people from the show currently airing a thing now? Aside from the very obvious Smirnoff one with Ted Danson, there was a wireless one with the guy who plays Shawn.
    Did anyone notice any others?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I only saw one with Kristen Bell for Enterprise.

sig.gif