[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

1246777

Posts

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Here's an interview with Michael Schur on the second season. The big takeaways are that there won't be a giant twist at the end of this season, but there's already plans for a season three (and this season will hint as to what it will be).

    Minor spoilers on the general premise of the next episode, but given the end of this episode it's pretty obvious.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Tofystedeth
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    I didn't actually catch the names of any of the shops. I'm disappointed in myself.

    steam_sig.png
    djmitchella
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I honestly can't imagine a transition to the third season that isn't the whole cast getting thrown into the bad place

  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    cursedking wrote: »
    I honestly can't imagine a transition to the third season that isn't the whole cast getting thrown into the bad place

    At this point, I think that the most likely scenario is
    The Good Place being allowed to continue as an experimental project to transition Bad Place souls to be ready for the real Good Place. Elaenor is appointed to co-run it with Michael.

    But you know, this show subverts my expectations in the best possible way, so yeah.

    Shadowhope on
    Wash your hands like you've been cutting habaneros and need to put in your contacts.
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    I honestly can't imagine a transition to the third season that isn't the whole cast getting thrown into the bad place

    At this point, I think that the most likely scenario is
    The Good Place being allowed to continue as an experimental project to transition Bad Place souls to be ready for the real Good Place. Elaenor is appointed to co-run it with Michael.

    But you know, this show subverts my expectations in the best possible way, so yeah.

    I think that's the logical endpoint of the show, but I don't think there's any more show after that.

    tynic
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    so long as tahani and eleanor remain apart man shall never truly be free

    obF2Wuw.png
    ShadowhopeDasUberEdwardSorceApothe0sisSleepGnizmoAtomikaSnicketysnickBurnageHandgimpEvil MultifariousshoeboxjeddyTheDrifterTransporterDracomicronJustTeeJacobkoshYamiB.MatevAimTheBlackWind
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Is there a way to watch this online?

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Oh man, what if they try to mix it up making "Real Eleanor" her soulmate. She did want a bigger part, and she's much better than Postman McTwisty.

    steam_sig.png
    Squigie
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    At this point I want "Real Eleanor" anywhere.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cursedkingJimothySquigieRedTideTheDrifterTransporterJustTeeJacobkosh
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Is there a way to watch this online?

    First season is on Netflix now, the first two episodes should be on NBC's site but you may need a cable subscription to watch there?

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    Captain Ultra
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Is there a way to watch this online?

    First season is on Netflix now, the first two episodes should be on NBC's site but you may need a cable subscription to watch there?

    Yeah I watched the first, I meant to specifically ask about the second.

    Hmmm I don't remember if I technically still have a cable subscription. Probably not one that includes NBC... Thanks for the info! May have to wait...

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    I just checked my Hulu and S2E1 is there.

    steam_sig.png
    SorceGnizmo
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    And on Hulu it lists only one episode, but that episode is 42 minutes long. Which means it's episode 1 and 2.

    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
    Gnizmo
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that
    the next time Elanor figures things out, Michael will make a deal with her to have her pretend like she's still ignorant and torture the other three, so they can trick Shawn into letting the experiment continue.

  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that either
    Real Eleanor gets pissed at having a shitty part and spoils it for the main 4

    or
    Bad Eleanor stumbles upon the tape recording Michael was making at the end of the episode, which, conveniently gets kept on, recording everything Michael says.

    SorceSpoitcursedkingTransporter
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Roll out the penis flatteners

  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just discovered this last week, binged the whole thing, watched the episodes last night, and now I'm sad because there's no more.

    Maybe I'm in my own personal bad place.

    But man, this show is amazing. Janet is the breakout character for me; everything she says is gold. My favorite line of anything ever is: "Fun fact: Janet is me!" And the scene on the beach when she was murdered is legit one of the most expertly made scenes of comedy ever, mostly on the strength of her line readings.

    One of the best parts of this show is that I have no idea where it's going with this. I mean, I have ideas, but I expect them to be wrong. And even if I'm right, the plot beats will probably be two episodes sooner than I think. A lesser show would have taken three or four seasons to get to where this show is now.

    I think I'm going to go rewatch the whole thing now, brb.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    kimemildlymorbidShadowhopeSleepjimb213A Dabble Of TheloniusSquigieAtomikajoshofalltradesBurnageshoeboxjeddyTheDrifterTransporterHakkekageJustTeeJacobkoshKetarMatevAim
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/video/season-2-first-look/3581406

    There's a brief segment 1:15 in that we haven't seen yet.

  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I just discovered this last week, binged the whole thing, watched the episodes last night, and now I'm sad because there's no more.

    Maybe I'm in my own personal bad place.

    But man, this show is amazing. Janet is the breakout character for me; everything she says is gold. My favorite line of anything ever is: "Fun fact: Janet is me!" And the scene on the beach when she was murdered is legit one of the most expertly made scenes of comedy ever, mostly on the strength of her line readings.

    One of the best parts of this show is that I have no idea where it's going with this. I mean, I have ideas, but I expect them to be wrong. And even if I'm right, the plot beats will probably be two episodes sooner than I think. A lesser show would have taken three or four seasons to get to where this show is now.

    I think I'm going to go rewatch the whole thing now, brb.

    when you rewatch is where Danson really shines also

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    SleeptynicHahnsoo1McFodderDracomicronJustTeeMatev
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The actress who plays Janet is amazing. She is hilarious in almost every scene she's in, even with what little she has to work with.

    Steam: Spawnbroker
    VisskarTomantaSorcecursedkingSleepjimb213A Dabble Of TheloniuskimemildlymorbidHedgethornElJeffeHahnsoo1SquigieApothe0sisAtomikajoshofalltradesshoeboxjeddyTheDrifterTransporterHakkekageJustTeeKristmas KthulhuDevlin_DragonusMatevTubularLuggage
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The actress who plays Janet is amazing. She is hilarious in almost every scene she's in, even with what little she has to work with.

    probably my favorite part of the new season is watching her react to Jason and start the process of falling in love with him all over again. Very subtle and very very good.

    SleepShadowhopetynicLaOsSorceApothe0sisTransporterJustTee
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I'm guessing that either
    Real Eleanor gets pissed at having a shitty part and spoils it for the main 4

    or
    Bad Eleanor stumbles upon the tape recording Michael was making at the end of the episode, which, conveniently gets kept on, recording everything Michael says.

    I think your second spoiler is spot on, that's a very good catch.

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The "I'm going to the gym" bit was gold

    Sleep on
    cursedkingrhylithtynicPailryderLaOsSquigieSnicketysnickshoeboxjeddyTheDrifterTransporterJuliusJustTeeJacobkoshKetarAimTheBlackWind
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

    IMO, Tahani and Jason had the best scenes in the premiere.
    I also appreciated that Eleanor's tendency to blurt out what her subconscious is thinking is telling us that she's still legit into Tahani.

    I really hope that in the long term they go for a poly relationship with Eleanor/Tahani/Chidi.

    Wash your hands like you've been cutting habaneros and need to put in your contacts.
    SleepDracomicron
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I wonder where they're going to go from here. Obviously they can't keep resetting things because that would get boring, but we're also kind of rooting for Ted Danson a little bit because eternal hellfire and torturing is not fun.
    Girlfriend and I loved the Butt Spiders joke because we are 10 years old

    Steam: Spawnbroker
    SleepsurrealitycheckVisskarDoodmannRedTideHakkekage
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I wonder where they're going to go from here. Obviously they can't keep resetting things because that would get boring, but we're also kind of rooting for Ted Danson a little bit because eternal hellfire and torturing is not fun.
    Girlfriend and I loved the Butt Spiders joke because we are 10 years old

    I love that this show will balance jokes about complex philosophy with stuff like butt spiders

    ShadowhopeCaptain InertiaSpawnbrokerSquigieDasUberEdwardshoeboxjeddyTheDrifterTransporterjimb213JacobkoshMatev
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Butthole spiders

    Different species

    Captain Inertia on
    SleepSpawnbrokerTofystedethTransporterMatev
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    This was asked in the SE++ thread, but (Season 2 spoiler):
    Why did Janet take Jason straight to Eleanor, anyway?

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    This was asked in the SE++ thread, but (Season 2 spoiler):
    Why did Janet take Jason straight to Eleanor, anyway?

    Janet isn't supposed to get wiped, their Janet is inherently broken, also she knows eleanor isn't supposed to be there. She rode the janet line, she didn't disclose any private information she was privy to but she did her best to fulfill the request of Jason by bringing him to the only place he could be helped.

  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    This was asked in the SE++ thread, but (Season 2 spoiler):
    Why did Janet take Jason straight to Eleanor, anyway?

    Janet isn't supposed to get wiped, their Janet is inherently broken, also she knows eleanor isn't supposed to be there. She rode the janet line, she didn't disclose any private information she was privy to but she did her best to fulfill the request of Jason by bringing him to the only place he could be helped.

    I mean, I think that's probably right, in that Janet
    probably does know about Eleanor from overhearing her and Chidi talking, but it seems like a weak explanation to me overall. I dunno; we'll see as things go along, for sure.

  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    When Janet was talking to Jason about bringing him somewhere, I thought she was gonna take him to
    The Bud Hole

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Sleep
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    This was asked in the SE++ thread, but (Season 2 spoiler):
    Why did Janet take Jason straight to Eleanor, anyway?

    Janet isn't supposed to get wiped, their Janet is inherently broken, also she knows eleanor isn't supposed to be there. She rode the janet line, she didn't disclose any private information she was privy to but she did her best to fulfill the request of Jason by bringing him to the only place he could be helped.

    I mean, I think that's probably right, in that Janet
    probably does know about Eleanor from overhearing her and Chidi talking, but it seems like a weak explanation to me overall. I dunno; we'll see as things go along, for sure.

    Yep
    She took him straight to the only people who aren't explicitly there to torture him.

    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Three things off the top of my head that are a lot funnier in hindsight:

    1. The scene from the pilot where all the other residents are telling Eleanor about their great deeds. Because now you know they're being intentionally ridiculous.

    2. The demons pretending to get excited over garbage collecting.

    3. When Real Eleanor plants the idea that Eleanor is in love with Chidi just to mess with both of them.

    Speaking of real Eleanor...
    The fact that Real Eleanor was re-cast and our Eleanor isn't supposed to confess her secret implies that he wants to make it so that our Eleanor never comes forward, which is an odd game plan for him. Because how does he expect her to stay silent forever when she couldn't even stay silent for a single day with a total stranger?

    It seems like Michael's plan in general was really poorly thought out.
    By switching from the original plan of "let these characters torture each other" to "let's have our demons do the torturing." Obviously, these demons are completely unfamiliar with these types of tactics, and aren't capable of pulling off a long con. They clearly don't know how to adapt in a way that would make Eleanor feel guilty or conflicted.

    I feel especially sorry for the demon who had to play a Buddhist monk. That's gotta be a super boring job for a demon to pull off for 1000 years.

    Schrodinger on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    One of the main ideas is to make it more fun for those involved.

    People will go to a lot of effort if they think something is fun.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The big twist in season 2 will be (big end of season 1 spoilers sort of)
    Eleanor is Satan.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Animal Crossing (SW), Murder by Numbers (SW), Skyrim VR (PC)
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    One of the main ideas is to make it more fun for those involved.

    People will go to a lot of effort if they think something is fun.

    Exploring what people will accept and why seems to be what the show is exploring and satirizing, innit?

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Animal Crossing (SW), Murder by Numbers (SW), Skyrim VR (PC)
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    One of the main ideas is to make it more fun for those involved.

    People will go to a lot of effort if they think something is fun.

    Coming by every once in a while for hijinks is fun.

    Being forced to sit next to someone completely silent for 1000 years is work.

    King Riptor
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Drez wrote: »
    The big twist in season 2 will be (big end of season 1 spoilers sort of)
    Eleanor is Satan.

    Actually
    Each of the cast could embody a different deadly sin except Eleanor who embodies all of them . Micheal is Pride,Jason is Lust,Chidi is Sloth ,Janet is Greed(you could flip these given how Jason died and Janet seems pretty thirsty) and Tahani is Envy. El being Satan would be perfect. It also means we have one more cast member though.

    King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Drez
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for:
    the Good Place to raid the place because El etc don't belong there for reals.

    Season 3 will be a war between them.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
    Handgimp
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    tahanis only sin is being a sexy skyscraper ok

    obF2Wuw.png
    SpawnbrokerAtomikaDasUberEdwardBurnagewebguy20Doodmannpablo_priceSpoitHandgimpcloudeagleRedTideTheDriftermildlymorbidTransporterHakkekageJuliusJustTeeDoctorArchJacobkoshSquigieMatevNeoToma
Sign In or Register to comment.