As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    I knew the guitar teacher was somebody I recognized. It was Danson's wife, Mary Steenburgen.

Anyway, what a great show.

How do you recognize her? Is she an actor as well?

She also had a role on Justified.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I'm not being hyperbolic when I say I think this might have been the best ending to a TV show that I've ever seen.

It's definitely very high on my list. Not sure if it's my favorite, but how can it be when you have TV shows with universally-acclaimed, perfect endings, like Dexter and Battlestar Galactica?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I liked the BSG ending. Lost, too. Never watched Dexter.

But this? This was forking special.

• Options
    I knew the guitar teacher was somebody I recognized. It was Danson's wife, Mary Steenburgen.

Are...are you guys joking? She's been in a billion movies. Stepbrothers and way before that she was in Parenthood, with no less than Steve Martin, Jason Robards, RICK MORANIS, KEANU REEVES (very young), AND JOAQUIN PHOENIX (super duper young).

I didn't even know she was married to Ted Danson, but despite his fame from Cheers, I'd be more prone to call Danson "Mary Steenburgen's husband" than her his wife.

• Options
    I liked the BSG ending. Lost, too. Never watched Dexter.

But this? This was forking special.

I mean, yeah, I was kinda trolling because 'round these parts people seem to universally hate those endings. Along with Angel, for some people at least. I liked them all, though I'm still not sold on the penultimate lead-up to Dexter's ending.

I think The Good Place may be tied at the top. I still come back to Psych as one of my favorite TV series endings of all time. I'm not sure The Good Place actually topped it, but it is very close. Either way, awesome finale.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Are we doing spoilers for specifics on the finale?
    Looking back, I like that they didn't have any big "twist" or reveal about what the door leads to. I know the questions I was asking before the finale are "whats gonna happen when they go through the door?" but I think that was with the implicit idea that the story would continue. I like how, recognizing that the story would end, they turned it back towards the relationships in the show and not towards some big reveal like "it was all a test" or something like that, which I think would have been a satisfactory ending from a lore standpoint, but not have the emotional weight behind it because its too much like "it was all a dream" and that it wasn't real. This ending, where they just played it straight was much better emotionally and satisfactory ending.
    There was a reveal at what happens at the end.

They turned into those motes of light.

One drifted down and it influenced the guy who threw away the mail which wasn't for him to dig it out of the trash and deliver it to the rightful owner.

In returning to the universe, they become random acts of kindness, helping others be just that little bit better when it comes time for them to try to get into the Good Place.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    I'd say Mr. Robot, Crazy-Ex Girlfriend, The Americans, and Justified all had really good endings, too.

None of them top my all-time favorite however.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Looking back, I like that they didn't have any big "twist" or reveal about what the door leads to. I know the questions I was asking before the finale are "whats gonna happen when they go through the door?" but I think that was with the implicit idea that the story would continue. I like how, recognizing that the story would end, they turned it back towards the relationships in the show and not towards some big reveal like "it was all a test" or something like that, which I think would have been a satisfactory ending from a lore standpoint, but not have the emotional weight behind it because its too much like "it was all a dream" and that it wasn't real. This ending, where they just played it straight was much better emotionally and satisfactory ending.

One drifted down and it influenced the guy who threw away the mail which wasn't for him to dig it out of the trash and deliver it to the rightful owner.

In returning to the universe, they become random acts of kindness, helping others be just that little bit better when it comes time for them to try to get into the Good Place.
    Obvious Destiny tie-in.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Ok, better last episode: The Good Place or Breaking Bad?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    This show is up there for me. Its up there with Babylon 5, with MASH, with BSG, with Avatar the last Airbender and Star Trek, in that it influenced me and how I viewed the world. It will stay with me in some form for a long time if not forever.

The Ending? Good, fitting and obvious in hindsight. And its greatest impact is that I have seen the series from start to finish, because of that the ending if each individual story struck even harder.

This is a masterpiece of television storytelling and one that really only can be made for television. It was a prestige TV show really, only it was on a network.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Oh, I agree, but
    My point more was that there wasn't like a twist to it. It was basically exactly what telegraphed it to be.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    This finale was just a goddamn victory lap. I loved every second and was teary for just about everything.

Bravo Schur, Bravo.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I was pondering for a moment there that if Michael went through the forest archway he would just wake up, and the dreamed/simulated universe and afterlife dimension conjured by the mind of a sleepy Eldritch fire squid would end.

Can't run a simulation if the simulation hardware/platform gets 'turned off'. :P
    tenor.gif

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am going to be thinking about this show for a long, long time and I think I've just requested 'What We Owe Each Other' and 'Death' via interlibrary loan.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That was up there with Six Feet Under, Halt & Catch Fire, and Justified in terms of great endings, in my book. It was just really beautiful and full of love.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Kristen's comment in the aftershow was spot on. The show was wonderful despite being/because it was just a little too short. Like life.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Who's got two thumbs and just ugly-cried at work? This guy. Thank god for short-staffed shifts and semi-private cubicles.

What a delight this whole thing has been. I don't know if I can ever rewatch it, it just feels...perfect, and complete.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man. Maybe breaking bad had a better ending? But I dunno. This was so perfect. Wow.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Oh my god, I cried my damn eyes out and I loved every second of this finale.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    This was a good show. I know because it actually made my stone face cry.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Man I gotta say one last time before the thread fades back into the wave, I'm happy this series happened if only for Jason existing. There's always some trouble with defining a specific stat setup that some folks end up with in D&D, and it is the low Int, high Wis character. It's a hard concept of being very wise, but also very dumb. Jason Mendoza is the ur example of that character archetype, and it starts in the first scenes he's speaking in, and just keeps getting more clear as the series progresses.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm not the crying type myself either and this finale was on for literally minutes before it had me crying and then I cried right through to the fucking end and then I felt great afterwards. That may be the highest praise I've ever given any show ever.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Here’s a crazy thought: I think that eventually, Tahani will be the last human, and eventually the last being from this incarnation of the universe. When the universe closes down and everyone from the other architects to the Janets to Gen herself goes home, as the perfect hostess Tahani will be the one who stacks the chairs, turns off the lights, and locks the door. Tahani will become God.

She’ll take a day off, and then create a new universe.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Anyone interested in the idea of afterlife becoming tedious or anything like that might want to check out "The Makropulos case" by Bernard Williams (PDF) which was one of the works written on the chalkboard at the beginning of the episode. It's one of the classic philosophical works on the topic of whether immorality would be great or whether you'd eventually want to, say, walk through the door.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in the idea of afterlife becoming tedious or anything like that might want to check out "The Makropulos case" by Bernard Williams (PDF) which was one of the works written on the chalkboard at the beginning of the episode. It's one of the classic philosophical works on the topic of whether immorality would be great or whether you'd eventually want to, say, walk through the door.

Seems to work for conservatives. :)

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Here’s a crazy thought: I think that eventually, Tahani will be the last human, and eventually the last being from this incarnation of the universe. When the universe closes down and everyone from the other architects to the Janets to Gen herself goes home, as the perfect hostess Tahani will be the one who stacks the chairs, turns off the lights, and locks the door. Tahani will become God.

And we end up with a new universe that strangely evokes this:
    dam-images-architecture-2014-10-gehry-architecture-best-frank-gehry-architecture-15-walt-disney-concert-hall.jpg

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    What a finale. I cried at least seven times (one of those was in the after-show interview) and had tears welling up at least another half-dozen.

It's the rare show that has me laughing at the same time as I'm blinking tears away too. This is, by far I think, Mike Schur's best show. That is not to say, that it's all him, from what I've seen, everyone involved with it absolutely killed it. The writers, the actors, the props department, the digital effects (aka David Niednagel). Every part of it.

Just what a journey. I cannot wait to see the main cast in whatever they do next.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I love good place but it’s also schurs least funny show

I think 99 is the funniest but least heart (still a ton of heart)

Parks and Rec is middle both

Good place has the most heart but least funny (still a ton of funny)

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »

In terms of quantity (ie jokes per episode), sure. But in terms of quality, I gotta disagree. Top ten jokes across all three series, gotta be half of them are Good Place. Heck, Chidi himself IMO has the top two (time kNiFe, and Jeremy Bearimy "that broke me").

I know Belland Danson will almost definitely move on to good projects, but I really hope Jamil, Jacinto, and especially Harper get to showcase in something new.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

In terms of quantity (ie jokes per episode), sure. But in terms of quality, I gotta disagree. Top ten jokes across all three series, gotta be half of them are Good Place. Heck, Chidi himself IMO has the top two (time kNiFe, and Jeremy Bearimy "that broke me").

I know Belland Danson will almost definitely move on to good projects, but I really hope Jamil, Jacinto, and especially Harper get to showcase in something new.

It was a total throwaway joke, but the one where Tahani was explaining how her favorite show had been on the BBC for 16 years and had nearly 30 episodes was one of my favorites.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Starting part 1 of the finale podcast now. It is 1 hour and 40 minutes long.

Part 2 is 1 hour and 25 minutes.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Starting part 1 of the finale podcast now. It is 1 hour and 40 minutes long.

Part 2 is 1 hour and 25 minutes.

I've heard good things about the pod, and with "Shawn" hosting, I don't doubt it.

But I held off once I made the decision to wait until I did the full series rewatch, and are better able to intersperse the showand the pods chronologically.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Bell's talked about retiring from starring roles actually. Or taking a break until her kids are older.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

It was a total throwaway joke, but the one where Tahani was explaining how her favorite show had been on the BBC for 16 years and had nearly 30 episodes was one of my favorites.

If you weren't ugly crying while belly laughing at the Chidi calandar in the finale, you are a monster. That was an incredible joke

Also, first amazing revelation from the podcast
    The scene where Elenor was walking through the magic doors to go from Michael's office to the house to Greece and all that. It was all a single shot

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Michael's name at the end. lol

Krathoon on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I challenge anyone who has seen the finale to make it through this music piece (fork, even just a minute or two) without tearing up. If you can do that, its proof positive you're a demon. :wink: (got the name from the podcast)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6Mzvh3XCc

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

And we end up with a new universe that strangely evokes this:
    dam-images-architecture-2014-10-gehry-architecture-best-frank-gehry-architecture-15-walt-disney-concert-hall.jpg

...but is it tall enough?

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Man. Maybe breaking bad had a better ending? But I dunno. This was so perfect. Wow.

In recent years I'd say Justified and The Shield both had better than Breaking Bad. Hard to compare to this, because this show as shorter, and a comedy. I will say that this is probably one of the more solid from start-to-finish shows, including the finale, that I can think of. There was no bad season. There was no arc I was sick of. They stuck the landing. Great show.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Are...are you guys joking? She's been in a billion movies. Stepbrothers and way before that she was in Parenthood, with no less than Steve Martin, Jason Robards, RICK MORANIS, KEANU REEVES (very young), AND JOAQUIN PHOENIX (super duper young).

I didn't even know she was married to Ted Danson, but despite his fame from Cheers, I'd be more prone to call Danson "Mary Steenburgen's husband" than her his wife.
    Back to the Future 3 was my first introduction to Mary Steenburgen, way back when.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I haven't watched the others, but "least funny" includes the sheer amount of restaurant name puns, right? Because those were all pretty damn good.

sig.gif