As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Here's an interview with Michael Schur on the second season. The big takeaways are that there won't be a giant twist at the end of this season, but there's already plans for a season three (and this season will hint as to what it will be).

Minor spoilers on the general premise of the next episode, but given the end of this episode it's pretty obvious.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I didn't actually catch the names of any of the shops. I'm disappointed in myself.

steam_sig.png
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I honestly can't imagine a transition to the third season that isn't the whole cast getting thrown into the bad place

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    cursedking wrote: »
    I honestly can't imagine a transition to the third season that isn't the whole cast getting thrown into the bad place

At this point, I think that the most likely scenario is
    The Good Place being allowed to continue as an experimental project to transition Bad Place souls to be ready for the real Good Place. Elaenor is appointed to co-run it with Michael.

But you know, this show subverts my expectations in the best possible way, so yeah.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

At this point, I think that the most likely scenario is
    The Good Place being allowed to continue as an experimental project to transition Bad Place souls to be ready for the real Good Place. Elaenor is appointed to co-run it with Michael.

But you know, this show subverts my expectations in the best possible way, so yeah.

I think that's the logical endpoint of the show, but I don't think there's any more show after that.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    so long as tahani and eleanor remain apart man shall never truly be free

obF2Wuw.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Is there a way to watch this online?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Oh man, what if they try to mix it up making "Real Eleanor" her soulmate. She did want a bigger part, and she's much better than Postman McTwisty.

steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    At this point I want "Real Eleanor" anywhere.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

First season is on Netflix now, the first two episodes should be on NBC's site but you may need a cable subscription to watch there?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

First season is on Netflix now, the first two episodes should be on NBC's site but you may need a cable subscription to watch there?

Yeah I watched the first, I meant to specifically ask about the second.

Hmmm I don't remember if I technically still have a cable subscription. Probably not one that includes NBC... Thanks for the info! May have to wait...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I just checked my Hulu and S2E1 is there.

steam_sig.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And on Hulu it lists only one episode, but that episode is 42 minutes long. Which means it's episode 1 and 2.

sig.gif
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that
    the next time Elanor figures things out, Michael will make a deal with her to have her pretend like she's still ignorant and torture the other three, so they can trick Shawn into letting the experiment continue.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that either
    Real Eleanor gets pissed at having a shitty part and spoils it for the main 4

or
    Bad Eleanor stumbles upon the tape recording Michael was making at the end of the episode, which, conveniently gets kept on, recording everything Michael says.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Roll out the penis flatteners

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just discovered this last week, binged the whole thing, watched the episodes last night, and now I'm sad because there's no more.

Maybe I'm in my own personal bad place.

But man, this show is amazing. Janet is the breakout character for me; everything she says is gold. My favorite line of anything ever is: "Fun fact: Janet is me!" And the scene on the beach when she was murdered is legit one of the most expertly made scenes of comedy ever, mostly on the strength of her line readings.

One of the best parts of this show is that I have no idea where it's going with this. I mean, I have ideas, but I expect them to be wrong. And even if I'm right, the plot beats will probably be two episodes sooner than I think. A lesser show would have taken three or four seasons to get to where this show is now.

I think I'm going to go rewatch the whole thing now, brb.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/video/season-2-first-look/3581406

There's a brief segment 1:15 in that we haven't seen yet.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I just discovered this last week, binged the whole thing, watched the episodes last night, and now I'm sad because there's no more.

Maybe I'm in my own personal bad place.

But man, this show is amazing. Janet is the breakout character for me; everything she says is gold. My favorite line of anything ever is: "Fun fact: Janet is me!" And the scene on the beach when she was murdered is legit one of the most expertly made scenes of comedy ever, mostly on the strength of her line readings.

One of the best parts of this show is that I have no idea where it's going with this. I mean, I have ideas, but I expect them to be wrong. And even if I'm right, the plot beats will probably be two episodes sooner than I think. A lesser show would have taken three or four seasons to get to where this show is now.

I think I'm going to go rewatch the whole thing now, brb.

when you rewatch is where Danson really shines also

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The actress who plays Janet is amazing. She is hilarious in almost every scene she's in, even with what little she has to work with.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    The actress who plays Janet is amazing. She is hilarious in almost every scene she's in, even with what little she has to work with.

probably my favorite part of the new season is watching her react to Jason and start the process of falling in love with him all over again. Very subtle and very very good.

SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I'm guessing that either
    Real Eleanor gets pissed at having a shitty part and spoils it for the main 4

or
    Bad Eleanor stumbles upon the tape recording Michael was making at the end of the episode, which, conveniently gets kept on, recording everything Michael says.

I think your second spoiler is spot on, that's a very good catch.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The "I'm going to the gym" bit was gold

Sleep on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

IMO, Tahani and Jason had the best scenes in the premiere.
    I also appreciated that Eleanor's tendency to blurt out what her subconscious is thinking is telling us that she's still legit into Tahani.

I really hope that in the long term they go for a poly relationship with Eleanor/Tahani/Chidi.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I wonder where they're going to go from here. Obviously they can't keep resetting things because that would get boring, but we're also kind of rooting for Ted Danson a little bit because eternal hellfire and torturing is not fun.
    Girlfriend and I loved the Butt Spiders joke because we are 10 years old

I wonder where they're going to go from here. Obviously they can't keep resetting things because that would get boring, but we're also kind of rooting for Ted Danson a little bit because eternal hellfire and torturing is not fun.
    Girlfriend and I loved the Butt Spiders joke because we are 10 years old

I love that this show will balance jokes about complex philosophy with stuff like butt spiders

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Butthole spiders

Different species

Captain Inertia on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    This was asked in the SE++ thread, but (Season 2 spoiler):
    Why did Janet take Jason straight to Eleanor, anyway?

LaOs wrote: »

Janet isn't supposed to get wiped, their Janet is inherently broken, also she knows eleanor isn't supposed to be there. She rode the janet line, she didn't disclose any private information she was privy to but she did her best to fulfill the request of Jason by bringing him to the only place he could be helped.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Janet isn't supposed to get wiped, their Janet is inherently broken, also she knows eleanor isn't supposed to be there. She rode the janet line, she didn't disclose any private information she was privy to but she did her best to fulfill the request of Jason by bringing him to the only place he could be helped.

I mean, I think that's probably right, in that Janet
    probably does know about Eleanor from overhearing her and Chidi talking, but it seems like a weak explanation to me overall. I dunno; we'll see as things go along, for sure.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    When Janet was talking to Jason about bringing him somewhere, I thought she was gonna take him to
    The Bud Hole

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Sleep wrote: »

I mean, I think that's probably right, in that Janet
    probably does know about Eleanor from overhearing her and Chidi talking, but it seems like a weak explanation to me overall. I dunno; we'll see as things go along, for sure.

Yep
    She took him straight to the only people who aren't explicitly there to torture him.

edited September 2017
    Three things off the top of my head that are a lot funnier in hindsight:

1. The scene from the pilot where all the other residents are telling Eleanor about their great deeds. Because now you know they're being intentionally ridiculous.

2. The demons pretending to get excited over garbage collecting.

3. When Real Eleanor plants the idea that Eleanor is in love with Chidi just to mess with both of them.

Speaking of real Eleanor...
    The fact that Real Eleanor was re-cast and our Eleanor isn't supposed to confess her secret implies that he wants to make it so that our Eleanor never comes forward, which is an odd game plan for him. Because how does he expect her to stay silent forever when she couldn't even stay silent for a single day with a total stranger?

It seems like Michael's plan in general was really poorly thought out.
    By switching from the original plan of "let these characters torture each other" to "let's have our demons do the torturing." Obviously, these demons are completely unfamiliar with these types of tactics, and aren't capable of pulling off a long con. They clearly don't know how to adapt in a way that would make Eleanor feel guilty or conflicted.

I feel especially sorry for the demon who had to play a Buddhist monk. That's gotta be a super boring job for a demon to pull off for 1000 years.

Schrodinger on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    One of the main ideas is to make it more fun for those involved.

People will go to a lot of effort if they think something is fun.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The big twist in season 2 will be (big end of season 1 spoilers sort of)
    Eleanor is Satan.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

Exploring what people will accept and why seems to be what the show is exploring and satirizing, innit?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

Coming by every once in a while for hijinks is fun.

Being forced to sit next to someone completely silent for 1000 years is work.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Drez wrote: »
    The big twist in season 2 will be (big end of season 1 spoilers sort of)
    Eleanor is Satan.

Actually
    Each of the cast could embody a different deadly sin except Eleanor who embodies all of them . Micheal is Pride,Jason is Lust,Chidi is Sloth ,Janet is Greed(you could flip these given how Jason died and Janet seems pretty thirsty) and Tahani is Envy. El being Satan would be perfect. It also means we have one more cast member though.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for:
    the Good Place to raid the place because El etc don't belong there for reals.

Season 3 will be a war between them.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    tahanis only sin is being a sexy skyscraper ok

obF2Wuw.png