As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Don't be too clingy? That's a wrap.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Don't be too clingy? That's a wrap.

I'm too old for this shirt.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Eh, I think the argument that we are somehow less moral than our ancestors is a weak one. For example, while I may buy a cellphone which was made in a sweatshop in china, literally EVERYTHING that was built in say the middle ages was done in conditions where they would envy that sweatshop worker.

We think that China has bad labor standards because we HAVE labor standards. Our ancestors were too busy engaging in the Opium Wars, or attending a witch burning to even write labor standards. Maybe Indonesia isn't a great place for the LGBTQ community, but its far better than say, 15th century Germany would have been,

I don't buy it, its a false image of the morality of the past which never existed. Individual humans today are far more moral and caring than people in the past were.
    I think it's way too early to draw any conclusions about the sort of morality that's behind the points system, but there are a lot of ways the show could get around this really easily.

One option is that your point gains and losses are determined by the options you have. In today's society, you could just not buy the cell phone. In the middle ages, it's not like you're buying useless stuff. You're just buying food. You can't not buy food.

Another option is that the point losses happened in the middle ages too, but they were extremely minimal because the chain of consequences was much shorter. Buy a shirt in the middle ages, some point loss from a few people involved in making the shirt. Buy a shirt today, and you get point losses from the pollution caused by shipping the shirt from China, the sweatshop in China, etc.

Another option is that the creators of the show don't have such a rosy view of modern working conditions compared to medieval working conditions. It's true that life generally is better today, but this doesn't mean that it's better to be a worker in a sweatshop today (compared to, say, a barista or lawyer today) than a worker in the middle ages. You say they didn't have labor standards back then, but they also didn't have corporations with an incentive to work people to the bone for the sake of profit. A lot of the work back then was either necessary (e.g. growing food) or it wasn't like a sweatshop. You were a master or an apprentice in a workshop and you worked reasonable hours because you didn't have any bosses or shareholders demanding more efficiency.

Your point about "a false image of the morality of the past" is irrelevant. All those people burning witches and persecuting LGBT people went to the bad place back then, according to the show. The show isn't saying people today are more evil. It's saying their actions have worse consequences, and these consequences are unintended. The show can agree with you that people today are better (which I think is crazy, but whatever). But unfortunately consequences count too when it comes to the point totals.

So, it doesn't matter whether Indonesia today is better than 15th century Germany for LGBT people on the whole (although with this particular example it's worth remembering that many societies in the past were much better about this stuff than they are today). What matters is whether some individual person's actions have bad ripple effects. The show's suggesting that they often have more bad ripple effects today than in the past.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think the point is, they have been updating how you can get negative points without offsetting it by changing how you an get good points or how many good points you need or how connected the bad points are to everything.

I blame all the weird sex stuff.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wait a minute . . .

Weird sex stuff is bad????

chromdom on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Wait a minute . . .

Weird sex stuff is bad????

The scoring people are probably just jealous.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Still wondering how Mindy fits into this. I guess she is in the Medium Place till they figure out if she should get credit for the consequences of the plan after her death, but no matter the outcome of that she will go to the Bad Place, because she won't get enough positive points, but they can't "convict" till they get a final tally.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Maybe Mindy got the positive points because she legitimately intended to do all the good parts of her plan, but didn't get any of the negative points that would've been associated with it, because she didn't actually have a chance to go through with it, so none of unintended consequences could manifest.

Like, giving someone flowers is a good thing. It might be nigh impossible to give someone flowers these days without accruing negative points, because any reasonable way of going about it will have bad side effects. But hypothetically, it's still possible, so the intention gives you positive points.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jason Mendoza: low int, high wis

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I totally lost it with the martini.
    I think Derek needs a few more reboots.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The actual logline for next week's Good Place:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Niednagel!!!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I love the running joke
    that Chidi constantly gets exposed to mind breaking shit

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I love the running joke
    that Chidi constantly gets exposed to mind breaking shit

His delivery of the line
    ...before I SAW THE TIME-KNIFE!
    had me laughing for a solid minute. I had to rewind.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I died laughing about three times this episode.
    Michael doing the flossing dance was the best one though. It was a meta reality-bridging callback to the short vid of Ted Danson learning the dance while killing time with the rest of the main cast.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    My favorite was
    "Yes. You saw the Time-Knife. We've all seen it." That deadpan to describe a trillion realities folding in on each other was priceless

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I'll watch it again today and probably answer my own question, but is the new scenario
    to do the whole original deception with the new people? ie pretend they are in the good place but they are actually in the bad place? Or is it just that they will be in the good place but "by mistake" and have to navigate that, thinking they will be kicked out if found out?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I'll watch it again today and probably answer my own question, but is the new scenario
    to do the whole original deception with the new people? ie pretend they are in the good place but they are actually in the bad place? Or is it just that they will be in the good place but "by mistake" and have to navigate that, thinking they will be kicked out if found out?
    I think it's the latter. They'll be tasked with seeing if they can become better people after death when they realise they're in an afterlife they didn't deserve.

But if they're going for an actual recreation, two of them should actually believe that they should be there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I died laughing about three times this episode.
    Michael doing the flossing dance was the best one though. It was a meta reality-bridging callback to the short vid of Ted Danson learning the dance while killing time with the rest of the main cast.

according to the podcast
    that mini vid wasn't them killing time, it was him actually learning to do the dance for this scene.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Re last ep
    I loved The Judge in this, I was afraid she would go for some stupid easy life, or just not feel the constant stress humans are under. But instead she starts in Mexico, was treated as a black person and draws the conclusion that even living in Denmark is hard. That went about as well as it possibly could.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Love the Niednagel shout out.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    They finally opened up Chick-Fil-a's in my area a few ears ago.

I still haven't eaten there.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I obviously need to go to bed because I just thought that
    it would work really well if they could get some actors who had died in real life for the new people. Something felt wrong with that but it took me a second.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    it would work really well if they could get some actors who had died in real life for the new people. Something felt wrong with that but it took me a second.

Yes it is rather hard to recruit from that sector

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Yes it is rather hard to recruit from that sector

Well it's easy but the work ethic is not strong

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Although I suppose it's worth mentioning that they did get a CGI simulacrum of Peter Cushing for Rogue One

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Weekend at the Good Place

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    Although I suppose it's worth mentioning that they did get a CGI simulacrum of Peter Cushing for Rogue One

They don't have that kind of money.

They have a few seconds of creepy CGI Orville Redenbacher money at most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn4p213Zg8

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I totally lost it with the martini.
    I think Derek needs a few more reboots.

So is there gonna be
    a field with like 200 plungers now? Also I feel like letting Derek help is gonna backfire.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If the title of the next episode is correct...
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

• Options
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

Which implies
    this bold, wacky new scenario, that lesser shows would mine for an entire season or more, will implode on itself in just an episode.

Just like the huge pile of bold, wacky new scenarios they've already burned through in record time.

This show, man.

• Options
    Also, I'm wondering if the title of last week's episode ("Chidi Sees the Time-Knife") was made official after seeing William Jackson Harper's performance or in anticipation of William Jackson Harper's performance.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

If the next episode doesn't have Jason
    get really sad that there are no pandas, or have actual pandas,
    I will swear off this show forever.

Forever being defined as six days, twenty-three hours, thirty minutes.

Because as everyone who watches this show knows,
    the gap between new episodes feels like forever.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

I think that the etymology of that word might be important in this case.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I
    MorganV wrote: »
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

I watched both seasons 1 and 2 when they were on streaming so now I’m all aghhh this is forever

poo
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

Sadly, I think youll have to involuntarily swear off the show for longer than forever after this next episode...
    It the Season Finale. No more episodes until the fall...

:(

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

Sadly, I think youll have to involuntarily swear off the show for longer than forever after this next episode...

I hate you. I hope you get the butt spiders.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Legacy wrote: »
    Pandemonium

is going to occur.

I hate you. I hope you get the penis bees.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’m thinking that (speculation about the next episode):
    Eleanor is going to fill in for Michael for at least the first guy they are welcoming...

Am I the only one?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I’m thinking that (speculation about the next episode):
    Eleanor is going to fill in for Michael for at least the first guy they are welcoming...

Am I the only one?

Totally agree, I think it'll be this foundation for the next season.

Or at least for one episode until they set it on fire.

I am in the business of saving lives.