Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Places like Brooklyn to live?

CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in Brooklyn, and love it, but it's so darn expensive! Where else in the USA has a walkable, interesting city, decent weather (not too hot or cold), nice lifestyle, but a lower cost of living? I hate driving, so traffic has to not to be too bad.

My husband and I work from home, so employment is not a factor.

CelestialBadger on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I dunno if you'll get CoL concessions in a major city with walkableness and actually having jobs. But pretty much any major city will hit the notes. You may not get less rent, but you'll get more for the rent in the smaller cities most likely.

Ladies.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I live in Brooklyn, and love it, but it's so darn expensive! Where else in the USA has a walkable, interesting city, decent weather (not too hot or cold), nice lifestyle, but a lower cost of living? I hate driving, so traffic has to not to be too bad.

Nothing is quite like NYC, so keep that in mind. For all of the above, I'm not sure it exists. There are plenty of walkable city areas, but they either are very expensive (SF), not that large (Omaha), Too Cold (Minneapolis), has a lot of traffic (Seattle) etc. etc.

Can you rank your needs in terms of importance and the interests/industries? For example, if sunshine is a big deal for you, Seattle is off the list. If you're LGBTQ, some cities may not be a good fit etc.

You're going to have to give up something.

bowen
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Some of the other boroughs are cheaper, like the Bronx or even Queens. Beyond that I've enjoyed Philadelphia, and I got the impression that housing was significantly cheaper than NYC

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    Some of the other boroughs are cheaper, like the Bronx or even Queens. Beyond that I've enjoyed Philadelphia, and I got the impression that housing was significantly cheaper than NYC

Aye, Philly is definitely cheaper than NYC (median home price for a single family is 140K, you can get for much lower depending on the neighborhood and how much you're wanting to fix the house up). Prices are however rising in a lot of areas. How drive friendly it is, really depends on where you're living. A lot of homes purchased are being converted into apartments too, so parking may become an issue for you. Again, depending on where you live.

The weather is largely comparable to NYC's. The bonus with Philly is that every major storm that threatens the area will outright miss you or have its impact minimized if you live in the city, and positively ruin your day/week/month if you live in the outskirts of the city.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    MrTLicious
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I must visit Philly. It's close enough that we could still visit the grandparents in NYC without it being an overnight trip.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

My husband and I work from home, so employment is not a factor.

Chicago is actually a much lower CoL than most of the major coastal cities and has pretty great public transit, very walkable and really I'm a big fan overall. Biggest downside is the winters but I don't know if they're that much worse than NYC or not.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Ketar
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Chicago weather looks cold and miserable, no thanks. Otherwise it would be ideal. We have friends there and they like it.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    If you happen to be still planning that visit to Philly, watch the news. Our public transportation service drivers may be going on strike. It's been a while since it happened (2009 or something), but it could go from a few days to a few months.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”