As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David [Chat] Pumpkins

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I was looking at SSD's and was perplexed that I found a lot of SATA 3 ones. Like what is the point of SATA 6 if not for connecting storage to it.

But it seems like the 6gb/s SATA is now actually called SATA 3 and the 3gb/s (old) one is just SATA.

I feel like someone changed the name of the standard. Back when I built my current PC people just said SATA 6 or SATA 3 where the numbers referred to the speed.

Yeah, they used to be labeled by their throughput (SATA 6gbps, etc), now they're just labeled by revision, so SATA I through III.

Oh okay. I feel like on the one hand, sequential numbering is the oldest thing in the book.

But I feel like if people colloquially know it by the throughput, and a change in name makes it sound like it's the previous version, maybe this was a bad naming decision in this case.

If it makes you feel any better, the SATA standard is likely to be obsolete in favor of M2 in a few years, so we won't have to worry about it anymore.

Isn't m2 just a connector standard? It doesn't say anything about how that connector is wired to the mobo.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I have had a bit of a self-realization: I don't dislike FPS games, I dislike Overwatch because healing isn't fun and everyone dogpiles onto the "kewl" sniper classes and it is unfun. I might enjoy Battlefield 1 or something like that when I get my XBONE.

Mei, Genji and Reinhardt are way cooler than any of the actual sniper classes.

That said I enjoy rocking Hanzo about half the time too but that's because scatter shot is so goddamn useful.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Delmain wrote: »
    I was looking at SSD's and was perplexed that I found a lot of SATA 3 ones. Like what is the point of SATA 6 if not for connecting storage to it.

But it seems like the 6gb/s SATA is now actually called SATA 3 and the 3gb/s (old) one is just SATA.

I feel like someone changed the name of the standard. Back when I built my current PC people just said SATA 6 or SATA 3 where the numbers referred to the speed.

Yeah, they used to be labeled by their throughput (SATA 6gbps, etc), now they're just labeled by revision, so SATA I through III.

Oh okay. I feel like on the one hand, sequential numbering is the oldest thing in the book.

But I feel like if people colloquially know it by the throughput, and a change in name makes it sound like it's the previous version, maybe this was a bad naming decision in this case.

If it makes you feel any better, the SATA standard is likely to be obsolete in favor of M2 in a few years, so we won't have to worry about it anymore.

Isn't m2 just a connector standard? It doesn't say anything about how that connector is wired to the mobo.

M2 devices plug into PCI-E slots.

So useful and nice and clean.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I am quite literally laughing out loud on a plane at Brooklyn 99

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

What is that?
    Some kind of proof of concept?

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Damn, slept thru bible chat.

Plus it's cold and rainy.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

What is that?

Teaser for the Cap movie.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

M2 devices plug into PCI-E slots.

So useful and nice and clean.

some go via SATA though

• Options

What is that?

It doesn't even have a director yet but they're teasing already? Bonkers.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

What is that?

the director is David Pumpkins

• Options
    Any Questions?

• Options
    Clockwork empires comes out today.

I don't know why they never want to put failure in builder games.

Without it the end game is always a slog.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

What is that?

the director is David Pumpkins

I'm having a Star Lord moment here

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Simon Webbe's Lay on Hands on loop.

Wikipedia tells me that it flopped in the US market. Wonder why?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    15 degrees colder than yesterday which was ten degrees colder than the day before. no big deal.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    15 degrees colder than yesterday which was ten degrees colder than the day before. no big deal.

Can you ship your weather down this way?

Thanks in advance

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Welp, I'll go buy some proper precision screwdrivers that aren't 8mm thick so I can actually exert some torque with them.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    You'll like absolute zero. You can really get stuff done when there is no pesky atomic motion

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp, I'll go buy some proper precision screwdrivers that aren't 8mm thick so I can actually exert some torque with them.

This kind of crap. No way to actually get at a screw that's too tight without stripping the head.

BEDYiH4.jpg

• Options

This kind of crap. No way to actually get at a screw that's too tight without stripping the head.

BEDYiH4.jpg

I just grab those with a pair of pliers around the middle when I need to.

I've never really felt the need to get a, like, normal screwdriver-sized precision set.

• Options
    I'm gonna start up a petition to end winter.

this is bullshit

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Winky bro I'm happy for you

I'm also happy you were born in this era instead of say 500 years ago when they'd have burned you at the stake

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

I'm also happy you were born in this era instead of say 500 years ago when they'd have burned you at the stake
    You know it's not too late

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    First three games of Overwatch after a few days off:
    - My team goes all Symettra
    - My team goes all DVa
    - My team goes all Lucio

• Options
    Got that one screw loose, now there are two more that are really tight with even smaller heads. Yeah, need a new set of screwdrivers for this.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Good morning [chat]

Much like where Variable lives, the temperature has taken a nosedive here for reasons I cannot positively ascertain at the moment. For now, I'm blaming the cat.

Also I heard we're burning people at the stake in here?

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

You know it's not too late

Go to Carcosa
    Prepare the ritual
    The Yellow King is at hand

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    fourth game: opposing team goes all Zarya, my team doesn't want to try out some new meta

this lack of meta...

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Excuse me that is clearly crochet

Gawl!

How would you feel if I asked why Ricky Racoon isn't in the Justice League?

knitdan on
  • Options
    Excuse me that is clearly crochet

Gawl!

Darn.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    oh echo those screwdrivers are terrible

I have that set like that, everyone seems to

there's no point now that a decent set is like $2

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    That is a great pun.

I shouldn't pick in you it's not your mistake.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I have had a bit of a self-realization: I don't dislike FPS games, I dislike Overwatch because healing isn't fun and everyone dogpiles onto the "kewl" sniper classes and it is unfun. I might enjoy Battlefield 1 or something like that when I get my XBONE.

Mei, Genji and Reinhardt are way cooler than any of the actual sniper classes.

That said I enjoy rocking Hanzo about half the time too but that's because scatter shot is so goddamn useful.

I enjoyed playing McCree but it seemed like 1/2 the time I was forced to play a support or doom the team to a bad comp. I feel I would enjoy FPS multiplayer games that do away with the whole class thing.

• Options
    I just ran into one of the Leviathans in Stellaris.
    HlRUmCQ.jpg

wDLVvgk.jpg

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    oh echo those screwdrivers are terrible

I have that set like that, everyone seems to

there's no point now that a decent set is like $2

Yeah, they're like 15 years old. Decent enough to screw things in, terrible to unscrew with if the screw is even slightly tight.

• Options
    I just ran into one of the Leviathans in Stellaris.
    HlRUmCQ.jpg

wDLVvgk.jpg

"Piano man!"

• Options
    I love that

Dimensional Horror Dimensional Horror Dimentional Horror (Hostile)

• Options
    wanna know how it attacks you?

it forms a fucking black hole under your ships

it's earned itself quite a paddling because it killed my scientist with the archeology -and- careful trait. soon as I reach the late game that is.

god I hope that thing can't travel because it is -right next- to my homeworld basically

This discussion has been closed.