Options

David [Chat] Pumpkins

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Aioua wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    I wonder if our parents' generation had, like, Duck and Cover Drill fetishes.

today's kids are gonna grow up with low-poly fetishes

thanks, minecraft steve

What's funny about that is the shift in gamedev over the last 10 years from pixel art retro stuff because now kids that grew up with nintendo and snes are making video games in their 30s and the new crop of 20somethings getting into the mix that grew up with playstation and are making low poly games because that was their jam.

Like it's really interesting to watch

Low-res stuff has a certain charm that only exists because the option to have better looking stuff exists.

Back in the day, 320x200x256 was chucked the minute 640x480x256 became feasible.

The resolution was so limiting there were certain types of games that were nearly impossible to do.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I haven't seen all the star trek movies. I should do that one of these days. At least the even ones.

3 is very good. Klingon Lloyd is under rated.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    omg y'all

Destiny is doing the Halloween thing again, with at least three free weird-ass drops

- "Superblack" shader
    - random papier-machet masks
    - a new sparrow that looks like a goddamned broomstick and doesn't make any engine noises

also, you can use earth-money to buy some exclusive stuffs, like weapon shaders and spoopy emotes that let you dance like a "Thriller" zombie

Dammit Bungie, why you gotta hate pc's.

Per Bungie, Destiny 2: Guardian Boogaloo will be for master race as well as for the races that actually have played Destiny before

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gooey how are you not using the dogs gif

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Friend wants a horror movie to show guests that will traumatize them. Come and See it is.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Primer is a good way to make yourself feel dumb.

not as much as Pi or whatever that one was

I found Primer more inscrutable. Less scrutable?

With Pi I feel like you're supposed to not worry too much about all of the nonsense and mumbo jumbo since it's really a story about this one guy and what's going on in his head.

With Primer I feel like you're supposed to have more of an understanding of what's going on and why, and by the end I've always missed between eight and thirty little things that connect the various timelines and I've just kind of thrown up my hands and am looking forward to Wikipedia to explain it to me. Again.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

thanks, minecraft steve

What's funny about that is the shift in gamedev over the last 10 years from pixel art retro stuff because now kids that grew up with nintendo and snes are making video games in their 30s and the new crop of 20somethings getting into the mix that grew up with playstation and are making low poly games because that was their jam.

Low-res stuff has a certain charm that only exists because the option to have better looking stuff exists.

Back in the day, 320x200x256 was chucked the minute 640x480x256 became feasible.

The resolution was so limiting there were certain types of games that were nearly impossible to do.

Well yeah I mean you're talking about doubling your surface area. Also that's what led to the art team getting more credit on games because suddenly it was all "You want me to fill up HOW much fucking space?" which is why a lot of early 640 games had shitty, shitty backgrounds.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

thanks, minecraft steve

4 pixel games are where it's really at

IF3HvML.jpg

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Friend wants a horror movie to show guests that will traumatize them. Come and See it is.

The Siberian one.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Primer is a good way to make yourself feel dumb.
    The ending was a total copout though.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I haven't seen all the star trek movies. I should do that one of these days. At least the even ones.

3 is very good. Klingon Lloyd is under rated.

Very good might be a stretch, but it's better than the "only the even movies are good" trope would lead you to believe.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    SOMEONE TOUCHED MY
    GOD

DAMNED

GROOT AGAIN

WHAT THE FUCK

• Options
    Friend wants a horror movie to show guests that will traumatize them. 2016 election coverage it is.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    SOMEONE TOUCHED MY
    GOD

DAMNED

GROOT AGAIN

WHAT THE FUCK

:winky:

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I still like the Devil's Rejects as a good genuine traumatizing horror movie.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    yeah Pi was a mindfuck but the details weren't very important

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Also you can just show them the first 20 minutes of The Walking Dead season premiere

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    was primer the two dudes in the garage with the time machine?

• Options
    "You know what movies average out to be really good?" is a great way to describe them. Thanks, Futurama.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Test the limits of your friendship with A Serbian Film.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    SOMEONE TOUCHED MY
    GOD

DAMNED

GROOT AGAIN

WHAT THE FUCK

Maybe it's like Toy Story and it's alive.
    Have you ever thought about that
    But no you go and blame your hillbilly coworkers.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

yeah. It's among the most accurate depictions of an early tech startup, too. It rightfully gets a lot of credit for that.

• Options
    OH!

What's the australian one that was remade where the two kids fucking torture the man, wife, and child and then do some weird remote control thing to say fuck you to the audience because "in real life" the good guys don't win!?

That one. Fuck that movie, show them that.

• Options

yeah. It's among the most accurate depictions of an early tech startup, too. It rightfully gets a lot of credit for that.

i only vaguely remember that one

i should watch it again i remember liking it

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    SOMEONE TOUCHED MY
    GOD

DAMNED

GROOT AGAIN

WHAT THE FUCK

Maybe it's like Toy Story and it's alive.
    Have you ever thought about that
    But no you go and blame your hillbilly coworkers.

Do you think that level of magical whimsy could survive in such close proximity to me?

It'd be like tinkerbell in a god damned amputee ward. Better not get cancer.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    OH!

What's the australian one that was remade where the two kids fucking torture the man, wife, and child and then do some weird remote control thing to say fuck you to the audience because "in real life" the good guys don't win!?

Adam_Sandler_-_Click.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Oh also the original last house on the left is good for traumatizing.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The correct answer to Velma vs Daphne is... traps!

Or, well, Velma, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q76evm7Qtws

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

thanks, minecraft steve

A retro-style game with 1080p resolution is real fkin hard though, because repeating hand drawn stuff looks awful and the art burden is super high to create HD assets, even just in 2D. Retro style targeting a resolution of about 640x480 or the 16:9 equivalent is so popular because it's a style you can hit on a shoestring budget and have it look ok.

Likewise low poly stuff is the same. Code up some neat shaders, use minimal textures, render at ultra res, and use low poly models and you've got an affordable aesthetic going. The advent of free 3D game engines are responsible for this more than nostalgia I think.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Nobody's mentioned Looper. Everyone seemed to be raving about that when it came out. I thought it was pretty bad.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    OH!

Adam_Sandler_-_Click.jpg

JESUS that is a horribly photoshopped adam sandler.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    OH!

funny games, haneke

i think?

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

i only vaguely remember that one

i should watch it again i remember liking it

I enjoy it, despite my mental handicap.

I couldn't get even halfway through his follow up movie, Upstream Color, but it's apparently pretty good so I should try again.

• Options
    why it always gotta be velma v daphne

why can't it be velma/daphne

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Nobody's mentioned Looper. Everyone seemed to be raving about that when it came out. I thought it was pretty bad.

I had to watch Looper like six times to understand what was going on.

Looper was kind of bad. The one scene where they were torturing the guy in the past to get his future self was good though.

• Options
    Funny Games!

That's it. Fuck that movie.

I HATE movies, especially home invasion movies, where the bad guys win.

FUCKING HATE IT.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    why it always gotta be velma v daphne

why can't it be velma/daphne

It can be, has been, and will be from now until the end of time.

Six on
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

I had to watch Looper like six times to understand what was going on.

Looper was kind of bad. The one scene where they were torturing the guy in the past to get his future self was good though.

Thought you were talking about Primer and spent a few seconds trying to figure out what I wasn't remembering.

• Options
    "You know what movies average out to be really good?" is a great way to describe them. Thanks, Futurama.
    I'd say the first 6 average out to 3.6 out of 5 stars and the series as a whole averages out to 2.7 out of 5 stars

This discussion has been closed.